Exo's should have a limit

Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
I feel marines shouldn't be able to have more than 40% of their players buy an exo suit. I command a lot, mostly because people won't do it tbh, and nothing makes me more mad then when more then half the team goes "but uhhh we wanted da dool mineh gunz commanda" and you end up with 3 people or less that actually DIDN'T get an exo. Three is NOT enough, that's three you can beacon for an onos gorge rush, three that can build, three that have to weld FOUR-FIVE exo's. The best part is, it isn't even more effective to have more, because when they get rushed, they all block each others bullets anyway! Being so slow and vulnerable, defending your base becomes impossible, and if you ever do have to beacon, well, you're about to lose 375 pres, enjoy.

Basically what I'm saying is, when dual's finally get researched, if more than half your team rushes to buy one, YOU WILL LOSE. You will lose tons of pres and probably your base because of it. It's ok on the other side, they can have as many onos as they want and it doesn't effect them as much (though a fade or two to catch ninja's is still nice). But it DOESN'T work out ok on marines and I feel there should be a hard coded limited to stop teams committing suicide. Even 50% isn't good, 1:1 welder:exo ratio will not work out either, often 1-2 marines welding can go down very easily, so then without the attention the exo's will die 1 by 1 til no one is left there. I feel 40% (maybe less) is a good enough MAXIMUM (not necessarily what teams should get) to the number of exo suits the marines can get.

Comments

• bERt0rbERt0r Join Date: 2005-03-23 Member: 46181Members
    edited December 2012
    It could be an experiment to have the commander set the maximum/preferred amount of each weapon he would like his team to carry. For example max 1 gl, max 1 flamegunner max 3 shotguns, max 2 exo, unlimited jetpack.
  • upperdemoonupperdemoon Join Date: 2012-10-22 Member: 163147Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2043537:date=Dec 11 2012, 01:43 PM:name=bERt0r)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (bERt0r @ Dec 11 2012, 01:43 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2043537"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It could be an experiment to have the commander set the maximum/preferred amount of each weapon he would like his team to carry. For example max 1 gl, max 1 flamegunner max 3 shotguns, max 2 exo, unlimited jetpack.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    i see that being abused :/ if you have a good team, and ask for a few to weld etc, then they will listen.. Otherwise you have a bad team and you'll lose anyay (people might quit too because they can't get an exo)
    How do you abuse it? After all you can eject a commander. And i called it experiment for a reason.
  • TimMcTimMc Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143945Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2043540:date=Dec 11 2012, 06:50 AM:name=bERt0r)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (bERt0r @ Dec 11 2012, 06:50 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2043540"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->How do you abuse it? After all you can eject a commander. And i called it experiment for a reason.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I expect good comms might get ejected if they limited exo's. Its a good idea nonetheless though.
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I don't see the problem. Talk to your people and tell them that it is stupid when everyone goes exo. Or tell one exo to guard the base while the others push.

There needs to be room for failure to make games interesting. Just talk to / teach your marines.
  • no_ideano_idea Join Date: 2005-02-15 Member: 41201Members
    edited December 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2043536:date=Dec 11 2012, 01:29 PM:name=Ghosthree3)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ghosthree3 @ Dec 11 2012, 01:29 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2043536"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->"but uhhh we wanted da dool mineh gunz commanda"<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    gnahaha, This made my day!

<!--quoteo(post=2043537:date=Dec 11 2012, 01:43 PM:name=bERt0r)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (bERt0r @ Dec 11 2012, 01:43 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2043537"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It could be an experiment to have the commander set the maximum/preferred amount of each weapon he would like his team to carry. For example max 1 gl, max 1 flamegunner max 3 shotguns, max 2 exo, unlimited jetpack.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    That would be very nice -spoken by a commander who is commanding in a very team-involved-way but would like to have a tool to keep things in a specific scope/control.

<!--quoteo(post=2043548:date=Dec 11 2012, 02:27 PM:name=_Necro_)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (_Necro_ @ Dec 11 2012, 02:27 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2043548"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I don't see the problem. Talk to your people and tell them that it is stupid when everyone goes exo. Or tell one exo to guard the base while the others push.

There needs to be room for failure to make games interesting. Just talk to / teach your marines.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Talking and teaching does, unfortunately, not always work and is blocking time/focus multiple times (saying it every time makes you tired of doing so).
  • AzaralAzaral Join Date: 2012-11-19 Member: 172408Members
    Yeah, I've commanded a few games like this. Didn't even have armor 2 yet and people were clamouring for exo's (we did have 2 chairs and jetpacks and weapons3) I said, no, not until armor 3. There was rage. It was still a fighting game too. uhg.
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2043549:date=Dec 11 2012, 03:29 PM:name=no_idea)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (no_idea @ Dec 11 2012, 03:29 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2043549"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Talking and teaching does, unfortunately, not always work and is blocking time/focus multiple times (saying it every time makes you tired of doing so).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Sorry, but one team has to lose. And like you describe it, exactly THIS people deserve it to lose in this case. If you or your team make mistakes, you will lose. That is the game.
  • VeNeMVeNeM Join Date: 2002-07-13 Member: 928Members
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    <!--quoteo(post=2043576:date=Dec 12 2012, 01:44 AM:name=VeNeM)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (VeNeM @ Dec 12 2012, 01:44 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2043576"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->no<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Thank you for this well written report on why you think there should not be a limit, i especially enjoyed how you outlined the balance and fun limiting issues in the finer points. Not many people go to this sought of effort, thank you.
  • NakorsonNakorson Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140253Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2043568:date=Dec 11 2012, 08:33 AM:name=_Necro_)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (_Necro_ @ Dec 11 2012, 08:33 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2043568"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Sorry, but one team has to lose. And like you describe it, exactly THIS people deserve it to lose in this case. If you or your team make mistakes, you will lose. That is the game.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Spoken wisely, i agree with this.

Let everyone go dual exo if they have the res for it, doing so isn't such a bad idea if some stay behind to defend the base.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    <!--quoteo(post=2043579:date=Dec 12 2012, 01:48 AM:name=Nakorson)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Nakorson @ Dec 12 2012, 01:48 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2043579"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Spoken wisely, i agree with this.

Let everyone go dual exo if they have the res for it, doing so isn't such a bad idea if some stay behind to defend the base.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Then NO one can build or repair...
  • MMZ_TorakMMZ_Torak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 3770Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2043590:date=Dec 11 2012, 10:14 AM:name=Ghosthree3)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ghosthree3 @ Dec 11 2012, 10:14 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2043590"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Then NO one can build or repair...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

And a lesson will be learned (hopefully).
  • nailertnnailertn Join Date: 2012-11-18 Member: 172301Members
    Very useful thread. Now let's open another 99 for the rest of the mistakes a team can make and have UWE hardcode limitations to stop dumb people from doing them.
    edited December 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2043592:date=Dec 12 2012, 02:17 AM:name=MMZ_Torak)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MMZ_Torak @ Dec 12 2012, 02:17 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2043592"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->And a lesson will be learned (hopefully).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Heh

<!--quoteo(post=2043604:date=Dec 12 2012, 02:26 AM:name=nailertn)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (nailertn @ Dec 12 2012, 02:26 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2043604"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Very useful thread. Now let's open another 99 for the rest of the mistakes a team can make and have UWE hardcode limitations to stop dumb people from doing them.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Thanks for the support man.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited December 2012
    A good way to avoid this situation as comm is to actively encourage marines to spend their Pres on mines very early, then shotguns, and jetpacks. With enough positive encouragement to do this, you will often find not too many saving up for dual exo (and then it's useful to have a few at that point, assuming you've been able to get there quickly enough holding the aliens down to max 2 tech points etc etc...)

In my experience (maybe because I tend to play on smaller servers?) it's rare to have marines in this position...!

edit: while I think about it, it's a great idea to put jetpacks down for marines from tres where possible, but get them to buy shotties, flamers and grenades (and of course welders and mines!) - if they have a jetpack, they'll get used to the idea that they're much, much better than exos for a vast number of reasons! :)
  • NakorsonNakorson Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140253Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2043590:date=Dec 11 2012, 09:14 AM:name=Ghosthree3)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ghosthree3 @ Dec 11 2012, 09:14 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2043590"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Then NO one can build or repair...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The marines have MACs. And so what if no one can? If no one goes commander they also can't build stuff. They always can type kill in the console and respawn if they wish to.
  • YMICrazyYMICrazy Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165986Members
    Bad idea. Freedom of choice is always good. Besides if you are dumb enough to not check how many exos are around, you would be useless either way and not weld the advancing exos like all non exos marines should be doing.
  • joederpjoederp Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165992Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2043604:date=Dec 11 2012, 10:26 AM:name=nailertn)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (nailertn @ Dec 11 2012, 10:26 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2043604"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Very useful thread. Now let's open another 99 for the rest of the mistakes a team can make and have UWE hardcode limitations to stop dumb people from doing them.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

LOL, thats what I was thinking the entire time reading this thread. Are you kidding me OP? How many exos your team takes to rush the aliens is a tactical decision, and should NOT be limited in any way. Sometimes 1 Exo is suitable, other situations you DO want the entire team in dual exos with Macs following. The idea of coding a hard limit to prevent a single situation that you experienced is asinine. What next, should we force a certain number of players to go gorge on aliens? Force the alien khamm to produce a certain number of cysts per minute to make sure they are expanding properly?

You can't fix bad players and commanders with coding.. only practice.
  • AxehiltAxehilt Join Date: 2003-09-12 Member: 20796Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2043579:date=Dec 11 2012, 09:48 AM:name=Nakorson)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Nakorson @ Dec 11 2012, 09:48 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2043579"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Spoken wisely, i agree with this.

Let everyone go dual exo if they have the res for it, doing so isn't such a bad idea if some stay behind to defend the base.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Ditto the "if the commander asks you to smartly defend the map and you join the already-full exo train and lose because they hit your base, you deserve it" comments.

The only thing needed is the ability to exit exos (which I'm surprised to learn today from another thread's title, apparently isn't the case already.)
    <!--quoteo(post=2043642:date=Dec 11 2012, 10:18 AM:name=Axehilt)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Axehilt @ Dec 11 2012, 10:18 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2043642"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Ditto the "if the commander asks you to smartly defend the map and you join the already-full exo train and lose because they hit your base, you deserve it" comments.

The only thing needed is the ability to exit exos (which I'm surprised to learn today from another thread's title, apparently isn't the case already.)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The legs of the marines get amputated so that they fit in the exosuit that's why the marines can't exit the exosuit.
    <!--quoteo(post=2043640:date=Dec 12 2012, 03:16 AM:name=joederp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (joederp @ Dec 12 2012, 03:16 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2043640"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->LOL, thats what I was thinking the entire time reading this thread. Are you kidding me OP? How many exos your team takes to rush the aliens is a tactical decision, and should NOT be limited in any way. Sometimes 1 Exo is suitable, other situations you DO want the entire team in dual exos with Macs following. The idea of coding a hard limit to prevent a single situation that you experienced is asinine. What next, should we force a certain number of players to go gorge on aliens? Force the alien khamm to produce a certain number of cysts per minute to make sure they are expanding properly?

You can't fix bad players and commanders with coding.. only practice.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You're right, freedom of choice is a good thing and normally something I'd be all for. But not all players will learn, that's just not going to happen, and it's just terrible when you lose a game you were winning so easily because your entire team is in exos and a gorge hit your base power. You're right this is the teams fault for doing that, and they deserve a loss, but as a commander you can't STOP your team being idiots, only ATTEMPT to guide them. Which makes losing as a comm when you were winning so easily VERY frustrating and disappointing.

<!--quoteo(post=2043642:date=Dec 12 2012, 03:18 AM:name=Axehilt)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Axehilt @ Dec 12 2012, 03:18 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2043642"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Ditto the "if the commander asks you to smartly defend the map and you join the already-full exo train and lose because they hit your base, you deserve it" comments.

The only thing needed is the ability to exit exos (which I'm surprised to learn today from another thread's title, apparently isn't the case already.)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I would be fine with lots of exos if they could be ejected from them, and they stand there immobile til the person gets back in. I feel this is sort of over powered though.
    edited December 2012
    You wouldn't need to impose limitations to the marines. It would be much better for the commander to be able to reward marines who are doing their job. That's what pres took away from the commander.
    What about another experiment: The commander configures the armory to give stuff away for a reduced price according to these limitations. For example if the comm wants 1 gl in his team and the whole team has rifles, the first marine who would buy a gl gets a deduction on his pres cost paid by the comm's tres.
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    If you suspect your team might be idiots and half of them are sitting at 75+ res, don't research exos :P
    <!--quoteo(post=2043665:date=Dec 12 2012, 03:53 AM:name=bERt0r)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (bERt0r @ Dec 12 2012, 03:53 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2043665"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You wouldn't need to impose limitations to the marines. It would be much better for the commander to be able to reward marines who are doing their job. That's what pres took away from the commander.
    What about another experiment: The commander configures the armory to give stuff away for a reduced price according to these limitations. For example if the comm wants 1 gl in his team and the whole team has rifles, the first marine who would buy a gl gets a deduction on his pres cost paid by the comm's tres.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Now that I think about it, going back to having tres only would solve the problem, as well as many others such as marines buying shotguns over and over again even though they can't land a hit with them for ######.
  • Champlo0Champlo0 Join Date: 2012-04-17 Member: 150617Members
    Only if there is an Onos limit of 0% players as Onos
  • hushus Join Date: 2012-11-25 Member: 173206Members
    Don't think you can ever put a limit on a game mechanic, education fixes that.
    However, it is somewhat broken when an entire alien team can go one lifeform and suffer no downside.
  • SwiftspearSwiftspear Custim tital Join Date: 2003-10-29 Member: 22097Members
    edited December 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2043634:date=Dec 11 2012, 11:06 AM:name=Nakorson)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Nakorson @ Dec 11 2012, 11:06 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2043634"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The marines have MACs. And so what if no one can? If no one goes commander they also can't build stuff. They always can type kill in the console and respawn if they wish to.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Macs are too weak against bile bomb to be the soul support for an exo train. You're limited to one commander, the whole team doesn't have the choice to go commander.
  • MMZ_TorakMMZ_Torak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 3770Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2043928:date=Dec 11 2012, 05:03 PM:name=hus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (hus @ Dec 11 2012, 05:03 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2043928"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Don't think you can ever put a limit on a game mechanic, education fixes that.
    However, it is somewhat broken when an entire alien team can go one lifeform and suffer no downside.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

No Gorges to heal, no Lerks for Umbra or Spores is not smart and could be a problem, almost as much as a problem as no welders for Exos.
  • gnoarchgnoarch Join Date: 2012-08-29 Member: 156802Members, Reinforced - Gold
    <!--quoteo(post=2044561:date=Dec 12 2012, 08:20 PM:name=MMZ_Torak)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MMZ_Torak @ Dec 12 2012, 08:20 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2044561"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->No Gorges to heal, no Lerks for Umbra or Spores is not smart and could be a problem, almost as much as a problem as no welders for Exos.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

9 onos with the game before any healing is ever required. IF not the alien team is doing something entirely wrong