crashes

EasyGameEasyGame Join Date: 2012-12-08 Member: 174472Members
edited December 2012 in Technical Support
<div class="IPBDescription">crashing</div>hi, i was wondering why i keep getting crashes (game just freezes and waits to be ctrl alt del.)
it never used to do this, untill the new patch releases.
nothing is overheating in my pc.
and i have updated my gfx card. no idea what is going on.

i forgot to also add that it crashes, 1 - 2 hours into a game.

Comments

• CoTTonCoTTon Join Date: 2005-02-28 Member: 42773Members
    I've had that issue

i deleted files from steam - and reinstalled.

no more issues
  • EasyGameEasyGame Join Date: 2012-12-08 Member: 174472Members
    yeah i did that also, still having issues though =[
  • HeatSurgeHeatSurge Some Guy Join Date: 2012-09-15 Member: 159438Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited December 2012
    Been having random freezes once in a while.

I run winamp in "always on top" as a bar on top of my screen, as well as thunderbird with the "minimizetotray revived" addon, and I think the random hangs have been reduced or eliminated (still testing) by closing those 2.

I think NS2 seems extremely sensitive to losing focus or things popping underneath it, due to the alt-tab inconsistency/problems/crashes... you might wanna try disabling any apps that cause anything to appear underneath ns2 (new message notifications from IM, new mail notifications, always on top things, graphs, etc. etc.). Just a hunch for now, and I'm still trying it out, but something to try at least.
  • jonvalljonvall Join Date: 2003-03-19 Member: 14691Members, Reinforced - Gold
    edited December 2012
    I'm experiencing random crashes also. I could play for an hour or two without a crash or I could play for 2 minutes and it just freezes. I always have to alt-tab out of it.

This is a recent problem because I've been playing NS2 right along with no issues. I joined the closed beta and never had any problems like this till recently.

I'm not running anything in the background and even if I was this has never happened before...so I'm thinking it's something in one of the newer patches.
  • zombiehellmonkeyzombiehellmonkey Join Date: 2007-08-31 Member: 62093Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited December 2012
    I'm still getting freezes and crashes with the latest build. I run Yahoo messenger in the background, as HeatSurge mentions above maybe that could cause it, I'll look into it.
  • StreidominatingStreidominating Join Date: 2010-04-09 Member: 71236Members
    I'm also getting crashes... had one with an "Application encountered fatal error.." submitted report ofc. And then 20 minutes later freeze and had to kill with process manager.

I already had one freeze some weeks ago, but so far nothing else.

Today, in less than 1 hour play, one fatal error and one freeze, since Build233
  • JeffeyJeffey Join Date: 2012-09-15 Member: 159508Members
    Bump, I'm getting this too. Does NS2 log crashes or something that I can submit? This is making me less inclined to play the game because I'll frequently crash when it's time for higher lifeforms.
    Yeah...what they all said!
  • ChitownFreezeChitownFreeze Join Date: 2008-03-29 Member: 63994Members, Constellation
    My game crashes basically every time I play. After maybe the third or fourth crash I'll just call it a night and stop playing. Sometimes they'll happen only once in 4-5 rounds, other times it's multiple crashes per round. I think it has something to do with playing sounds, because I always hear an infinite loop, typically of machine gun firing, when it happens.

Lately, even when the error handler catches a crash, it fails to submit a report. I enter some details and click submit, but nothing happens and the little dialog box that appears just hangs. So I have to kill the NS2.exe process in order to start over.
  • RobbyRobby Sweden Join Date: 2012-09-16 Member: 159687Members
    Build 233 removed freezing. Build 234 re-introduced it. Last time was the exact moment that i was going to fire both miniguns from an exo at a hive after their spin-up.

Asus Crosshair IV Formula
    AMD Phenom II X6 3.6 GHz
    Sapphire Radeon HD7850
    3 HDDs, 1 SDD
    16 GB 1333 RAM
    Windows 7 x64
  • ChitownFreezeChitownFreeze Join Date: 2008-03-29 Member: 63994Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=2048708:date=Dec 20 2012, 12:38 PM:name=Robby)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Robby @ Dec 20 2012, 12:38 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2048708"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Build 233 removed freezing. Build 234 re-introduced it. Last time was the exact moment that i was going to fire both miniguns from an exo at a hive after their spin-up.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah, same for me. It's almost always in response to an action I've taken, whether as a soldier or as a commander, and I'm pretty sure it's predominantly when I'm playing marines. I have crashed as aliens before, but I think it's less often. I'm going to start tabulating all of my crashes, including what race I was, whether comm or soldier, and what exactly was occurring at the time. Maybe there's some trend there.