youtube and natural selection 2

rusgerusge Join Date: 2012-12-10 Member: 174694Members, Reinforced - Shadow
I've beend playing natural selection since release and after getting some basic knowledge, I am thinking about recording some games of me jumping around and dying a hundret times. My question: Am I allowed to post videos on youtube, of me playing and talking to natrual selection 2?

Yeah and I know there are videos showing ns2 content on youtube, but I just want to get some kind of information, like if I need to have some sort of contract with youtube or whatever.

Comments

• ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Unless you have or are planning to be a YouTube partner, no.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Commentary is allowed, random footage that isn't monetized is allowed.
  • ArgathorArgathor Join Date: 2011-07-18 Member: 110942Members, Squad Five Blue
    It seems rather anal that UWE would care what anyone did with game footage on Youtube and whether or not they made a few dollars doing it.

What is the reasoning behind that?
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited December 2012
    It's mostly youtube and their oddball rules though ;)

And to be on the safe side, if you're partnered and monetizing video game footage. It's best to get yourself teamed up (partnered) with a bigger network like Machinima, TGN, TGS, Socialblade and such
  • ArgathorArgathor Join Date: 2011-07-18 Member: 110942Members, Squad Five Blue
    That doesn't explain the stance, care to elaborate?
    edited December 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2043209:date=Dec 11 2012, 12:16 AM:name=Argathor)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Argathor @ Dec 11 2012, 12:16 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2043209"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->That doesn't explain the stance, care to elaborate?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    UWE has posted that you are allowed to share and distribute NS2 footage and they even urge you to do so. Just steer clear from slapping copyrighted music material on those video's. Free commercial music is where its at, but this part has nothing to do with UWE and is more of a YT thing and general law thing. I usually go on <a href="http://ccmixter.org/" target="_blank">http://ccmixter.org/</a> to have a look at free to use music commercially
  • rusgerusge Join Date: 2012-12-10 Member: 174694Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    okay okay, so my only problem is, that i have to be a youtube partner, which is rather hard as a new youtube caster (especially in my country (austria))
    Would have loved the idea of getting some german/english stuff about ns2 up and running on youtube. But why should youtube care about your videos if UWE allows it?
  • TechercizerTechercizer 7th Player Join Date: 2011-06-11 Member: 103832Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2043219:date=Dec 10 2012, 06:26 PM:name=rusge)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rusge @ Dec 10 2012, 06:26 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2043219"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->okay okay, so my only problem is, that i have to be a youtube partner, which is rather hard as a new youtube caster (especially in my country (austria))
    Would have loved the idea of getting some german/english stuff about ns2 up and running on youtube. But why should youtube care about your videos if UWE allows it?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    You don't have to be a youtube partner to post videos, just don't monetize them.
    <!--quoteo(post=2043197:date=Dec 10 2012, 05:54 PM:name=Kouji_San)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kouji_San @ Dec 10 2012, 05:54 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2043197"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Commentary is allowed, random footage that isn't monetized is allowed.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
  • MunchySnacks1MunchySnacks1 Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164609Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2043210:date=Dec 10 2012, 07:17 PM:name=Kouji_San)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kouji_San @ Dec 10 2012, 07:17 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2043210"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->UWE has posted that you are allowed to share and distribute NS2 footage and they even urge you to do so. Just steer clear from slapping copyrighted music material on those video's. Free commercial music is where its at, but this part has nothing to do with UWE and is more of a YT thing and general law thing. I usually go on <a href="http://ccmixter.org/" target="_blank">http://ccmixter.org/</a> to have a look at free to use music commercially<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This is funny because they did this on the official twitch stream for the Friday night matches I think I heard AC DC the other one was too old to be copyrighted though. They really need to watch this before someone comes after them....
  • rusgerusge Join Date: 2012-12-10 Member: 174694Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Okay just wanted to be sure. Thanks for help everyone. Earning money with youtube wasn't my plan after all ^^
    Close the topic, if you want to.
    edited December 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2043227:date=Dec 11 2012, 12:30 AM:name=MunchySnacks1)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MunchySnacks1 @ Dec 11 2012, 12:30 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2043227"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This is funny because they did this on the official twitch stream for the Friday night matches I think I heard AC DC the other one was too old to be copyrighted though. They really need to watch this before someone comes after them....<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Twitch isn't YouTube, I mean YT has a builtin audio testing thingy that flags content if it has copyrighted music in there.

I'm actually not sure what Twitch's rules are, they are odd rules to say the least. I mean I guess they don't have the resources to deal with the broadcasting of copyrighted music. And I'm sure the big Twitchers have broadcasting rights
  • MunchySnacks1MunchySnacks1 Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164609Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2043235:date=Dec 10 2012, 07:37 PM:name=Kouji_San)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kouji_San @ Dec 10 2012, 07:37 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2043235"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Twitch isn't YouTube, I mean YT has a builtin audio testing thingy that flags content if it has copyrighted music in there.

I'm actually not sure what Twitch's rules are, they are odd rules to say the least :P<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It's not the rules its the law that is the problem. Even using a short 30 second clip of a song has to be paid for if it is commercial. Which the official twitch channel is. So they really need to watch what they put on never know if someone from EMI or whatever label is listening or hears about it and then asks for a huge payment.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2043209:date=Dec 10 2012, 04:16 PM:name=Argathor)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Argathor @ Dec 10 2012, 04:16 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2043209"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->That doesn't explain the stance, care to elaborate?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    If you wanted to monetize your YouTube stream that includes NS2 footage, I'm sure UWE would allow it (that's what Hugh did with NS2HD before he joined UWE). Just get in contact with them.

The issue is more on the YouTube side as they can get pretty picky if your monetizing with only gameplay footage. AFAIK, if you have commentary in the gameplay footage video, they will allow it without explicit permission, but I'm no expert on the legal issues.