Thoughts for a new AA weapon

BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
edited December 2012 in Ideas and Suggestions
<div class="IPBDescription">Plasma Gun</div>I was just playing Doom 3 again for the first time in a long while and I got the idea that a gun similar to the doom 3 plasma rifle would be a fun (and needed) addition.

Heres an example of how it fired in case you've never seen it (where have you been?)
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7A2B3KVEFk" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7A2B3KVEFk</a>

UWE has said that they dont want any flat upgrades for anything, so i figured a heavy weapon like the plasma gun would be a nice fit for an offensive weapon that is not a flat upgrade.

Key Points:

- Projectiles have a relatively slow travel time, making it harder to hit fast moving targets at long range ("modified" plasma gun in the video)

- Small AoE on the projectiles make it more effective against groups (needed due to a travel time on the shots)
**AoE would cause self-damage at very close ranges

- Would be amazing at taking down heavy lifeforms (the answer to massed onos)

- Would fit with the idea of "Advanced Weaponry" from the Advanced Armory

Possible Stats for NS2 plasma rifle:

- 15 heavy damage at w0; 20 Heavy damage at w3
- 30 round clip
- 5 second reload time (twice the basic rifle i think?)
- 4 extra magazines (to limit its ability to solo by a bit)
- Costs 25 Pres to buy; Costs 20 Tres to research
- Same effective "weight" as GL

The idea is that I want marines to be able to have an alternative to shotguns and rifles to kill aliens. This would also give marines a viable response to massed onoses as a single clip from this plasma gun would be able to take all of an onoses armor away, without making it to easy for a marine to solo an onos

Please discuss, and if your response is "I'd rather see the HMG return" please explain why the HMG would be better than this alternative

Comments

• godriflegodrifle Join Date: 2006-12-01 Member: 58815Members
    I'd rather see HMG return because of the game's lore. Apart from the Arcs, we're still using 21st century ballistics.

I thought the LMG sounded like weaksauce in NS2. And then I watched this video you posted... wow, that thing sounds like a baby flinging food across the table with a spoon. But hey, not only does it look weak, but I think it's very important that NS2 stays bullet guns, not laser beams.
  • kespeckespec Join Date: 2012-11-18 Member: 172279Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2040271:date=Dec 4 2012, 10:54 PM:name=godrifle)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (godrifle @ Dec 4 2012, 10:54 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2040271"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'd rather see HMG return because of the game's lore. Apart from the Arcs, we're still using 21st century ballistics.

I thought the LMG sounded like weaksauce in NS2. And then I watched this video you posted... wow, that thing sounds like a baby flinging food across the table with a spoon. But hey, not only does it look weak, but I think it's very important that NS2 stays bullet guns, not laser beams.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

how about a gaussian rifle that shoot impaling spikes instead of laser balls with same balistic dynamics
  • RobustPenguinRobustPenguin Join Date: 2012-08-17 Member: 155719Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2040345:date=Dec 5 2012, 01:24 PM:name=kespec)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (kespec @ Dec 5 2012, 01:24 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2040345"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->how about a gaussian rifle that shoot impaling spikes instead of laser balls with same balistic dynamics<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

How about just the HMG.
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited December 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2040363:date=Dec 5 2012, 06:27 AM:name=RobustPenguin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RobustPenguin @ Dec 5 2012, 06:27 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2040363"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'd rather see HMG return because of the game's lore. Apart from the Arcs, we're still using 21st century ballistics.

I thought the LMG sounded like weaksauce in NS2. And then I watched this video you posted... wow, that thing sounds like a baby flinging food across the table with a spoon. But hey, not only does it look weak, but I think it's very important that NS2 stays bullet guns, not laser beams.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

So you're issue is that it looks and sounds weak, and would not fit with the theme of NS2?

Just cause it looks weak in Doom 3 doesnt mean thats how it'd be in NS2 (if adopted). A simple matter of changing the firing sound would solve this issue, after all, something looking and sounding weak is just cosmetic

A plasma rifle wont fit with NS2 lore?

Jetpacks
    Battle suits with unlimited ammo
    Sound cannonds that shoot through walls
    Automated building robots immune to EMP shocks
    Phase Gates
    Structures that phase in gear directly onto marine (Proto and armory -> see concept art)
    Emergency beacon that <u>teleports</u> everyone available to one point
    Magically appearing Medpack and Ammo Kits

You'd think people with this kind of tech could feasibly have figured out how to compress and store high temp gas and shoot it out of a barrel. After all, they can TELEPORT

p.s. not to mention everything else they have is blue anyway XD
  • ComboBreakerComboBreaker Join Date: 2012-11-22 Member: 172856Members
    It would be a nice addition to marine's arsenal and it could be a valid Onos counter while not beeing a straight LMG upgrade.

However I'd prefer HMG with increased damage the longer your target stays in your scope - if you are constantly losing sight of your target(sculk,fade,lerk) then its just an inacurate LMG,but it chews through buildings and onoses.
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    True that it would be much more difficult to hit smaller lifeforms due to slowish travel times of the projetile, but that would be a part of the tradeoff for a gun that could annihilate those lifeforms in only a few shots.

Also, the small AoE on the projectiles would make it a bit more forgiving when attempting to lead a fast moving target, as well as being more effective against packs of smaller lifeforms

As far as an HMG with a damage ramp up...that kinda sounds like a long range version of the flametrower, but would still; be interesting to see. Only issue i can see with it is that it would be difficult to communicate that the bullets do more damage with each subsequent hit (a bit odd).

I just feel that marines need something from the AA to fill the power void left by the HMG, without it violating UWE's policy of "no flat upgrades"
  • SoundFXSoundFX Join Date: 2003-08-21 Member: 20048Members
    I just want to bring some positive in here: I like it. You also get double props for WH40K logo.
  • godriflegodrifle Join Date: 2006-12-01 Member: 58815Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2040462:date=Dec 5 2012, 08:14 PM:name=Benson)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Benson @ Dec 5 2012, 08:14 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2040462"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So you're issue is that it looks and sounds weak, and would not fit with the theme of NS2?

Just cause it looks weak in Doom 3 doesnt mean thats how it'd be in NS2 (if adopted). A simple matter of changing the firing sound would solve this issue, after all, something looking and sounding weak is just cosmetic

A plasma rifle wont fit with NS2 lore?

Jetpacks
    Battle suits with unlimited ammo
    Sound cannonds that shoot through walls
    Automated building robots immune to EMP shocks
    Phase Gates
    Structures that phase in gear directly onto marine (Proto and armory -> see concept art)
    Emergency beacon that <u>teleports</u> everyone available to one point
    Magically appearing Medpack and Ammo Kits

You'd think people with this kind of tech could feasibly have figured out how to compress and store high temp gas and shoot it out of a barrel. After all, they can TELEPORT

p.s. not to mention everything else they have is blue anyway XD<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yup. Arc Cannons, Jetpacks, Phase Gates, YOU NAME IT. We are STILL using 21st century ballistics despite the technological ability to have exosuits hold arc cannons instead of miniguns. No, it doesn't make sense technologically, but lore wise it's still a very ballistic game, and I'd like it kept that way.

Lore wise it's explained that the TSF simply cannot afford better equipment, but we all know the design rule came first: Ballistics Rule, and they're here to stay.
    edited December 2012
    Ballistic weapons are and most likely will always be the staple for human military, which is why the standard weapons are basic rifle and shotgun.

Development-wise, Plasma guns were already planned for the exo-suit, and even to this day the devs always confuse "plasma gun" and "rail gun" in the dev Q&A. So since the TSF is already going to have something similar, but bigger, why not a more compact version for the foot solider.

Hell, make it only available with the prototype lab and AA, that way its expensive enough to keep in line with the underfunded TSF barely being able to afford advanced Tech, and also so that it comes out around the same time aliens should be gettings onoses.
  • ComboBreakerComboBreaker Join Date: 2012-11-22 Member: 172856Members
    Magical staff,Crossbow,Claimore would not fit here.Plasmagun(and any futuristic gun) do fit in,besides sniper riffle since there are almost no open spaces.
  • SoundFXSoundFX Join Date: 2003-08-21 Member: 20048Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2042421:date=Dec 9 2012, 10:20 AM:name=ComboBreaker)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ComboBreaker @ Dec 9 2012, 10:20 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2042421"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Magical staff,Crossbow,Claimore would not fit here.Plasmagun(and any futuristic gun) do fit in,besides sniper riffle since there are almost no open spaces.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I really dig one of those Wookie crossbows from Battlefront. What were those called again?
  • uffouffo Join Date: 2003-05-03 Member: 16026Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2042758:date=Dec 10 2012, 08:24 AM:name=SoundFX)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SoundFX @ Dec 10 2012, 08:24 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2042758"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I really dig one of those Wookie crossbows from Battlefront. What were those called again?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Bowcaster.

I recall this debate from NS1 and I think Charlie & fellows leaned for strict ballistics only rule as it is more in NS'y and manly. Don't know what the status is now, but I'd suspect it hasn't changed.
  • ogzogz Join Date: 2002-11-24 Member: 9765Members
    let marines carry huge swords and skulks allowed rapid fire parasite
  • AzaralAzaral Join Date: 2012-11-19 Member: 172408Members
    .50BMG rifle then instead of plasma. Hehe
  • fivesevenfiveseven Join Date: 2012-11-26 Member: 173272Members
    Arguing for or against the merits of this plasma gun are pointless as there is one, single, glaring issues.

The engine cant handle that many projectiles, unless you want to bring a 5.0 ghz overclocked server to its knees (2 ticks/second anyone?). Projectiles have to be handled as entities with velocity, collision detection, etc. WAY more expensive than a hitscan weapon.
    edited December 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2043557:date=Dec 11 2012, 06:05 AM:name=fiveseven)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (fiveseven @ Dec 11 2012, 06:05 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2043557"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Arguing for or against the merits of this plasma gun are pointless as there is one, single, glaring issues.

The engine cant handle that many projectiles, unless you want to bring a 5.0 ghz overclocked server to its knees (2 ticks/second anyone?). Projectiles have to be handled as entities with velocity, collision detection, etc. WAY more expensive than a hitscan weapon.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I hadn't thought of that.....

But since this type of feature wouldn't be added for a while anyway, perhaps the performance issue will be fixed by then? (Assuming it will take a few months to code, model, and animate the weapon)

Implementing any idea at any point is always assuming it wont break the game with performance issues, as that would mean there are other, bigger priorities for the developers