Relative Importance Of Rt's

confidentialconfidential Join Date: 2002-11-23 Member: 9720Members
<div class="IPBDescription">and stuff</div> Seems like we see the same strategies, the same assaults in the same places, etc over and over again because there are only three places on any map worth assaulting and keeping - the hives. No one would ever think of taking any amount of time to assault an RT, at least in my experience playing. I've only *very rarely* heard a commander or aliens organize a strike on resource towers. In straight RTS games, its all about resources, but not so here. Or is it?

Is this an error in thinking by most of the comm's out there? Has anyone been successful using a strategy of resource constriction rather than rote hive assault?

On the whole, I always thought it would provide a more interesting game to have all the res nozzles as sites of major importance rather than just the hives.

-

ol|confidential

Comments

• AaronAaron vroom vroom der party startah Join Date: 2002-11-05 Member: 7020Members
    There is at least 1 resource in each hive, and the marine base always has 1 resource, so resource restriction really only works well against marines I think...or aliens with only one hive I suppose.
  • matsomatso Master of Patches Join Date: 2002-11-05 Member: 7000Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, Reinforced - Shadow, NS2 Community Developer
    edited December 2002
    Resource nodes are indeed crucial .. but it depends a lot on team sizes. On large servers, the marines only need the starting node and maybe one more to have all the resources they will ever need. On small servers, the marines can't hold enough resources nodes to allow them to do anything.

Medium sized servers, the battle for resources do exist - skulks must take out undefended res nodes, or the marines will get enough resources to research and pay for their heavy infantry, or to turtle up any captured hive beyond the ability of the alien team to take it out.

Likewise, if the aliens have massive amount of resources, they can shrug off fade/lerk losses, while if they only have 3-4 resource nodes, it will take a LONG time to replenish a Fade loss.

So, yea, resources matter. It's just that hive locations are so extremly important right now.
  • OWAOWA Join Date: 2002-12-22 Member: 11322Members
    Resource starvation is an effective stratagy, however it requires quite a bit more effort than hive control, especially for marines (as a group of off/deff chambers are quite a bit more difficult to remove as a marine than a TF/Turret removal as an alien)
  • sendersender Join Date: 2002-11-12 Member: 8337Members
    The problem for marines is it takes so damn long to get anywhere. I agree with what you said though. i might start assigning "lone ranger" roles to my marines. Get 1 or 2 people to go on res nozzle hunting missions, while the rest of the team builds up.
  • ComproxComprox *chortle* Canada Join Date: 2002-01-23 Member: 7Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    On either side, I always hunt down RP. If an alien team has 2 hives, but little RP, they take a while to get fades, especially if they die once or twice.
    As for aliens, if you take out towers enough, you put a huge hamper on them getting tons of HA + Big Guns and having them lay the smack down on your fades.
  • Silver_FoxSilver_Fox Spammer Join Date: 2002-01-24 Member: 34Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    I'm a RP **obscenity**.

plain and simple.

its not uncommon for me to have over 100 rp at any given time.

my #1 prioity is Nossles - then the hives.

I always capture at least 2 <b>more</b> nossles before I even consider taking over a hive.

of course, my 'team' is usualy off playing with them selves to be of any use to me, but .. eh ..
  • SemperFiSemperFi Join Date: 2002-08-02 Member: 1049Members
    Yeah i see full fledged battles for res sometimes. Granted its not EVERY game but usually everyother. Especially on eclipse, where theres that one spot (horseshoe/south loop or whatever you wanna call it) where theres a res and you can siege both hives from there. If marines gain that spot and hold it...well you can basically grab your ankles if your on the alien team.
  • saint0zsaint0z Join Date: 2002-10-16 Member: 1505Members, Constellation
    <!--QuoteBegin--Silver Fox+Dec 25 2002, 04:48 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Silver Fox @ Dec 25 2002, 04:48 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I'm a RP **obscenity**.

plain and simple.

its not uncommon for me to have over 100 rp at any given time.

my #1 prioity is Nossles - then the hives.

I always capture at least 2 <b>more</b> nossles before I even consider taking over a hive.

of course, my 'team' is usualy off playing with them selves to be of any use to me, but .. eh ..<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    lolz0rz. i was there fer u silverfox, and as a sidenote to all of the other commanders, he wins.
  • ZifnabZifnab Join Date: 2002-11-03 Member: 6062Members
    <!--QuoteBegin--|SemperFi|+Dec 25 2002, 02:18 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (|SemperFi| @ Dec 25 2002, 02:18 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Yeah i see full fledged battles for res sometimes. Granted its not EVERY game but usually everyother. Especially on eclipse, where theres that one spot (horseshoe/south loop or whatever you wanna call it) where theres a res and you can siege both hives from there. If marines gain that spot and hold it...well you can basically grab your ankles if your on the alien team.<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    After seeing many battles over Horseshoe, I've decided that it's absolutely worthless and you should never <i>ever</i> try to hold it as marines in the early game. It's just too darn hard to hold w/o spending lots of resources. I don't know what there is about it, but trying to hold Horseshoe right off the bat is just BAD.
    In most games I've seen where the marines win, they go straight for the hives. I commanded a game just now where we got Power Silo on ns_nothing and didn't even get a single other nozzle 'til we just about had Cargo. Before we got Cargo I had HMG/HA for my troops. Taking nozzles first only gives the aliens more time to get a hive up. Perhaps this only applies to big servers tho, where I tend to play. It could very well be different for smaller servers.