English plz

Comments

• DisconnectDisconnect Join Date: 2012-11-27 Member: 173446Members
    Only had problems with this on servers clearly labeled either RU or FR. The names of rooms/sections are not localized as far as I know so it is usually pretty easy to piece together what is being said/planned by listening for names and looking at the map.
  • Porcep!cPorcep!c Join Date: 2012-11-27 Member: 173421Members
    By the way, have you tried to ask the commander to change its language or are you just complaining in front of your screen? When I try to command, I always have a look at the composition of my team, and if I notice some foreigners who can be recognized by a country tag, then I always try to translate orders in English, or just give them only in English (anyway, as others said, "go to …", "1 marine at …" can be understood by everyone).

But it's often hard to know if someone who doesn't write/speak is a foreigner or not, and if the great majority seems to speak french and the other part is not writing anything nor having a foreign country tag in their nickname, then I just try to command in French. And it doesn't mean that I refuse to speak English because I am proud of my language and want to protect my faithful country bla bla bla…

And of course, a small message like "Sorry comm but I'm English speaker" might be better than something like "Cmon, english plz !!".
  • SwiftspearSwiftspear Custim tital Join Date: 2003-10-29 Member: 22097Members
    edited December 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2041668:date=Dec 7 2012, 03:51 PM:name=Champlo0)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Champlo0 @ Dec 7 2012, 03:51 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2041668"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->All I have to say is:

If you know how to speak English, try to speak it. It's generally the best international language.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    No, don't. If you join up a server clearly labeled "FR" or if you join a server and most of the people are speaking the language you like more or are more comfortable with. Speak that language. No one has a right to understand you just because you're playing a game online. There is no "Best" international language. That's such arrogant garbage.

If you join an FR or RU server, there are just as if not more likely to be French and Russian players there that don't understand English well as there is to be English speakers who don't understand French or Russian.

[edit] Also, hope you like Chinese, English has got maybe another 30 years in it, so if you don't want your kids to fall behind in the world you're gonna be teaching them Mandarin.
  • fivesevenfiveseven Join Date: 2012-11-26 Member: 173272Members
    edited December 2012
    I joined a [FR] server the other day and had a blast listening to the team banter in a language i couldnt understand. I heard them chuckle at me trying to communicate "crag nano plz", etc, was good fun.

To the point: why arent all you EU people speaking Esperanto amongst each other yet? There is so much crossover between spanish, english, german, french, etc that even someone without much knowledge of Esperanto would get the gist.

Mi parolas esperanton, cxu vi?

//Edit
    Just wanted to add, there is no way Mandarin is becoming the dominant language. It doesnt even use an alphabet, its archaic. Perhaps Japanese (its far more logical). The chinese even recognise this, ive spoken to Chinese friends who say its not worth learning, and i have university educated friends who abandoned their field of choice to go teach english in china because they earn so much bloody money off it, the demand for english over there is massive, and all business, science and engineering in china is done in english.
  • no_ideano_idea Join Date: 2005-02-15 Member: 41201Members
    Same rule as for everything in an international environment:
    First language is english! (even more in, what is called, "the west")

If its a server from another country and they cant Speak/type english thats their choice: no international competition.
    I ask myself what these persons do in an mmorpg or in the real business world?!
  • Cereal_KillRCereal_KillR Join Date: 2002-10-31 Member: 1837Members
    By the way, there is very little crossover between French and English, and the vast majority of it is recent.
    English is a Germanic language, just like Dutch and to some extent the Nordic languages. French, Italian and Spanish are Romanic languages.
    This is part of the reason why the French and Italians have more difficulties learning English than the Germans and Swedes. Plus we are indeed somewhat chauvinistic.

How do we fare in the world ? Well, we stick to our French. In fact, we never get to speak English at work, our associates can't speak worth a damn.
  • dissectiondissection Join Date: 2012-11-14 Member: 170914Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2041668:date=Dec 7 2012, 12:51 PM:name=Champlo0)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Champlo0 @ Dec 7 2012, 12:51 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2041668"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->All I have to say is:

If you know how to speak English, try to speak it. It's generally the best international language.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This is a bit offending imho, cause there is no "best" language. English is just the language with the highest probability of everyone in your team understanding you without asking what they are speaking individually. It makes communication easier - if you can speak english.
  • gnoarchgnoarch Join Date: 2012-08-29 Member: 156802Members, Reinforced - Gold
    edited December 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2042065:date=Dec 8 2012, 08:25 PM:name=dissection)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dissection @ Dec 8 2012, 08:25 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2042065"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This is a bit offending imho, cause there is no "best" language. English is just the language with the highest probability of everyone in your team understanding you without asking what they are speaking individually. It makes communication easier - if you can speak english.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

so it is the best language to use in any online game
  • SoulfighterSoulfighter Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167432Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2042056:date=Dec 8 2012, 07:52 PM:name=Cereal_KillR)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cereal_KillR @ Dec 8 2012, 07:52 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2042056"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->By the way, there is very little crossover between French and English, and the vast majority of it is recent.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Sorry but i can't let you say such things, 1/3 of english words are french or come from old french and most them were introduced 900 years ago

<a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_English_words_of_French_origin" target="_blank">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Engli...f_French_origin</a>
  • Cereal_KillRCereal_KillR Join Date: 2002-10-31 Member: 1837Members
    The difficulty of a language isn't the vocabulary. It's the language structure, the intonation, the grammar, etc. That's why bilingual people often have a hard time translating : they can think in one language or the other, but they can't easily "go" from one to another.
    <!--quoteo(post=2042007:date=Dec 8 2012, 11:07 AM:name=fiveseven)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (fiveseven @ Dec 8 2012, 11:07 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2042007"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->//Edit
    Just wanted to add, there is no way Mandarin is becoming the dominant language. It doesnt even use an alphabet, its archaic. Perhaps Japanese (its far more logical). The chinese even recognise this, ive spoken to Chinese friends who say its not worth learning, and i have university educated friends who abandoned their field of choice to go teach english in china because they earn so much bloody money off it, the demand for english over there is massive, and all business, science and engineering in china is done in english.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    English is also a terribly archaic language. In terms of easy of use and learning, and linguistic design, Korean is WAY WAY better than English, and many others are also significantly superior. What language is the Lingua Franka has nothing to do with what people want to speak, or what is easy to learn. It's entirely dependent on what language the most powerful business owners and diplomats want to negotiate in.

Mandarin is already slowly destroying Cantonese in "free" Hong Kong. Other Asian businesses working with China are now generally forced to provide Chinese interpreters, or outright Chinese speaking envoys. Even English people doing businessmen with Chinese these days often are required to provide their own interpreters. It's a few years before this is a regular thing still, but if global economic history has anything to say, that time is definitely coming.
  • no_ideano_idea Join Date: 2005-02-15 Member: 41201Members
    edited December 2012
    Even though the given arguments about how terrible the language is supposed to be and how its origins are in french (...and latin and german and so on) it does not change the current circumstance of being the international Language. So these arguments are invalid.

Yesterday I played 4 rounds on a german server and just one round was spoken in german. Even though it was clear that the ones who had voice came from germany, the spoken language was english. Thats how it works for everyone who joins AND its also good for practicing your own english-skills.

P.s: @Cereal_KillR
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->How do we fare in the world ? Well, we stick to our French. In fact, we never get to speak English at work, our associates can't speak worth a damn.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    And that is why it is always really annoying to talk in english to the french side of an international company;)
    aaargh - started an international debate about languages - always wanted to prevent that from happening. Stop, now!

;)

Please, just think of your teammates and give important communication in english as well. Thats all i wanted to ask for.
  • Champlo0Champlo0 Join Date: 2012-04-17 Member: 150617Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2041686:date=Dec 7 2012, 02:20 PM:name=Swiftspear)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Swiftspear @ Dec 7 2012, 02:20 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2041686"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->No, don't. If you join up a server clearly labeled "FR" or if you join a server and most of the people are speaking the language you like more or are more comfortable with. Speak that language. No one has a right to understand you just because you're playing a game online. There is no "Best" international language. That's such arrogant garbage.

If you join an FR or RU server, there are just as if not more likely to be French and Russian players there that don't understand English well as there is to be English speakers who don't understand French or Russian.

[edit] Also, hope you like Chinese, English has got maybe another 30 years in it, so if you don't want your kids to fall behind in the world you're gonna be teaching them Mandarin.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Calling someone arrogant because they're realistic is just insecure babbling.

Even in Japan and China they learn (or from what I understand are supposed to try to learn) English.

Just because you're french doesn't force you to speak french. It's not like someone is saying HURNNNN FRENCH IS ATROCIOUS - no people are just asking to understand you. It helps people working together, because inevitably someone isn't going to understand someone else. If some French player joined an American server and I knew how to speak French, I'd help him understand to the best I could.

In tandem, the OP, and me are just saying to provide multilanguage instructions if possible. No one is telling you not to speak French, Spanish, Chinese, Greek, or whatever language you're using.
  • xxswatelitexxxxswatelitexx Join Date: 2012-11-16 Member: 171754Members
    edited December 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2041045:date=Dec 6 2012, 11:05 AM:name=InTriX)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (InTriX @ Dec 6 2012, 11:05 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2041045"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->No? Mandarin has the most number of native speakers at around a billion but not many non-native speakers at around 300 million, the total number of English speakers native and non-native are around 1.5 billion.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

According to the CIA World Fact Book
    <a href="https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos//xx.html" target="_blank">https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/th...k/geos//xx.html</a>

12% of earth Speaks Mandarin only 5% of earth Speaks English.
    So... Ya.Lets see you Prove your point.
    Wait no you can't. Cause you made up your numbers.
  • nailertnnailertn Join Date: 2012-11-18 Member: 172301Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2042481:date=Dec 9 2012, 10:39 AM:name=xxswatelitexx)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (xxswatelitexx @ Dec 9 2012, 10:39 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2042481"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->According to the CIA World Fact Book
    <a href="https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos//xx.html" target="_blank">https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/th...k/geos//xx.html</a>

12% of earth Speaks Mandarin only 5% of earth Speaks English.
    So... Ya.Lets see you Prove your point.
    Wait no you can't. Cause you made up your numbers.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Some estimates put Mandarin ahead, others English. Slapping CIA on a book's cover isn't going to change anything; the data is highly unreliable, it shouldn't be treated as a fact.
  • runnerrunner Join Date: 2012-11-26 Member: 173304Members
    I don't think I've come across a more ignorant or xenophobic thread in a gaming forum to date.

Serveur Francais? Apprendre le Francais.
    Lets speak mandarin instead. It has clearly been proven here that most players of natural selection II will benefit from that.

And Mods, please close this thread. I`sorry for stirring up ignorance - on which side ever, doesnt make much difference for some people.
  • HusarHusar Join Date: 2012-11-11 Member: 169523Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2042510:date=Dec 9 2012, 08:11 PM:name=runner)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (runner @ Dec 9 2012, 08:11 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2042510"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I don't think I've come across a more ignorant or xenophobic thread in a gaming forum to date.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Who do you address with this minimalistic one-liner? Do you mean the OP or the comments on this thread or even the whole thread? Could you point out what is specifically xenophobic in this thread? Should be an easy task, since it is the most "ignorant or xenophobic thread in a gaming forum to date" you have seen.

I think that the OP agreed that on a server which is clearly marked with a country tag that language will be mostly spoken. But he also said that the NS2 community is somewhat small and that we shouldn't separate it more through different languages but try to communicate in English which is one of the most probable second languages to be spoken. Lastly it was a plea to the community and not a demand.
  • coldsmokecoldsmoke Join Date: 2004-07-28 Member: 30202Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2042117:date=Dec 8 2012, 05:10 PM:name=Swiftspear)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Swiftspear @ Dec 8 2012, 05:10 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2042117"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->English is also a terribly archaic language. In terms of easy of use and learning, and linguistic design, Korean is WAY WAY better than English, and many others are also significantly superior. What language is the Lingua Franka has nothing to do with what people want to speak, or what is easy to learn. It's entirely dependent on what language the most powerful business owners and diplomats want to negotiate in.

Mandarin is already slowly destroying Cantonese in "free" Hong Kong. Other Asian businesses working with China are now generally forced to provide Chinese interpreters, or outright Chinese speaking envoys. Even English people doing businessmen with Chinese these days often are required to provide their own interpreters. It's a few years before this is a regular thing still, but if global economic history has anything to say, that time is definitely coming.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Lol you're an idiot. Herp derp if you dont learn mandarin you will fall behind. Just stop posting.
  • xxswatelitexxxxswatelitexx Join Date: 2012-11-16 Member: 171754Members
    edited December 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2042503:date=Dec 9 2012, 01:57 PM:name=nailertn)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (nailertn @ Dec 9 2012, 01:57 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2042503"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Some estimates put Mandarin ahead, others English. Slapping CIA on a book's cover isn't going to change anything; the data is highly unreliable, it shouldn't be treated as a fact.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That isn't just a book. Thats the Official CIA government Website.
    But wait I still havent seen you showing any references putting "English Ahead."
    Lets see a reliable reference since obviously there must be one, if your so adamant right?

Just to rub it in
    <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_languages_by_number_of_native_speakers" target="_blank">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_langu...native_speakers</a> [14% Mandarin 5.6% English]
    <a href="http://www.photius.com/rankings/languages2.html" target="_blank">http://www.photius.com/rankings/languages2.html</a>
    <a href="http://exploredia.com/most-spoken-languages-in-the-world-2011/" target="_blank">http://exploredia.com/most-spoken-language...the-world-2011/</a>
    <a href="http://www2.ignatius.edu/faculty/turner/languages.htm" target="_blank">http://www2.ignatius.edu/faculty/turner/languages.htm</a>
    <a href="http://geography.about.com/od/culturalgeography/a/10languages.htm" target="_blank">http://geography.about.com/od/culturalgeog...10languages.htm</a>

and list goes on and on and on.

The only list that puts English ahead is the one in your head. Time to get a reality check
    Did you just link a lot of American websites written in English as sources and say it was reliable?
  • nailertnnailertn Join Date: 2012-11-18 Member: 172301Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2042629:date=Dec 9 2012, 03:48 PM:name=xxswatelitexx)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (xxswatelitexx @ Dec 9 2012, 03:48 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2042629"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->That isn't just a book. Thats the Official CIA government Website.
    But wait I still havent seen you showing any references putting "English Ahead."
    Lets see a reliable reference since obviously there must be one, if your so adamant right?

Just to rub it in
    <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_languages_by_number_of_native_speakers" target="_blank">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_langu...native_speakers</a> [14% Mandarin 5.6% English]
    <a href="http://www.photius.com/rankings/languages2.html" target="_blank">http://www.photius.com/rankings/languages2.html</a>
    <a href="http://exploredia.com/most-spoken-languages-in-the-world-2011/" target="_blank">http://exploredia.com/most-spoken-language...the-world-2011/</a>
    <a href="http://www2.ignatius.edu/faculty/turner/languages.htm" target="_blank">http://www2.ignatius.edu/faculty/turner/languages.htm</a>
    <a href="http://geography.about.com/od/culturalgeography/a/10languages.htm" target="_blank">http://geography.about.com/od/culturalgeog...10languages.htm</a>

and list goes on and on and on.

The only list that puts English ahead is the one in your head. Time to get a reality check<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Oh if it is official, and a website nothing less, it must be true.

No idea why you are showing lists that disregard non native speakers. I believe <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_languages_by_total_number_of_speakers" target="_blank">this </a>is the correct wiki page you wanted to link. See where one survey estimates 480 million and another 1500 million? Not any two of your sites agree on totals, one says 500 another 900. And that's exactly my point.

There are no standards for determining who qualifies as a speaker, never mind standards that are consistent across multiple languages. There is no agreement on what dialects Mandarin includes so it isn't even clear what % of the Chinese population speaks the language. Many surveys stop at asking the subject if he / she can communicate in English - highly subjective and relies on judgement and honesty of the individual - while others ask the subjects to complete tests.

That's how reliable it all is.
  • ellnicellnic Join Date: 2010-07-19 Member: 72559Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    We should have a language filter in the server menu and the server owner makes chooses what their server is catogrized as.
  • MzMzMzMz Join Date: 2006-10-23 Member: 58087Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter
    someone make a mod that integrates google translator with in-game text system so that all typed messages are displayed in your language.

Oh wait, incomplete unicode support.
  • GuspazGuspaz Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2862Members, Constellation
    Without commenting on the discussion itself, the CIA World Factbook is widely considered to be a reasonably accurate and unbiased source. It's intended for use by government officials, for whom accurate such information is very important (it does nobody any good to skew facts), and they luckily make it available to the public for everybody else to use. Yes, there are occasionally errors, and yes, there are some politically-motivated decisions made (such as omitting "Republic of China" for Taiwan's entry), but on the whole it's considered a reliable source.
    <!--quoteo(post=2042894:date=Dec 10 2012, 01:03 PM:name=MzMz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MzMz @ Dec 10 2012, 01:03 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2042894"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->someone make a mod that integrates google translator with in-game text system so that all typed messages are displayed in your language.

Oh wait, incomplete unicode support.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I laughed out loud at this. Haha.
    <!--quoteo(post=2041014:date=Dec 6 2012, 09:44 AM:name=Husar)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Husar @ Dec 6 2012, 09:44 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2041014"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->That is a disappointing attitude. I guess that is why some people get a vibe of "arrogance" from French people unwilling to learn another language.

That is even worse. If the schooling system doesn't motivate their students and doesn't teach them how important communication is, than the students don't see any use in learning another language.
    I don't now how long in France students are thought English in school, maybe thats the problem. I learned English in school for 8 years. Though you have to keep in mind I was in a secondary school in Germany which needs the longest time to finish: the "Gymnasium".<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    The percentage of born monolingual students that come away with successful fluency of a foreign language in English speaking countries is very very low. Like, we're talking 1%. German language education is exceptionally good, but in all likelihood, language education for French students is probably still much better than it is for American, Canadian, or British kids.
  • Omar - The WireOmar - The Wire Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165320Members
    edited December 2012
    Language classes in schools in America are tedious with little real world use. Its usually taught with archaic, outdated text books to learn something that is ever evolving. To top it off, schools in America tend to treat alternate languages as an "Arts" category which in turn typically means lower funding compared to other technical aspects. Even English tends to take a back seat. Not all schools do, but it's a very common practice.

I'm fluent in conversational Spanish along with more formal Spanish without doing more than a semesters worth of education. What I learned in HS was impractically taught across 3 years, completely useless and typically poorly imprinted.
  • HusarHusar Join Date: 2012-11-11 Member: 169523Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2043183:date=Dec 11 2012, 12:20 AM:name=Swiftspear)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Swiftspear @ Dec 11 2012, 12:20 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2043183"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The percentage of born monolingual students that come away with successful fluency of a foreign language in English speaking countries is very very low. Like, we're talking 1%. German language education is exceptionally good, but in all likelihood, language education for French students is probably still much better than it is for American, Canadian, or British kids.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Interesting information, gives me another point of view which I wouldn't think of. Thanks for sharing.