Fps Slowest Ive Seen

MystShadow56MystShadow56 Join Date: 2002-12-24 Member: 11505Members
<div class="IPBDescription">HELP!</div> Alright i just got NS and its a sweet **obscenity** mod but sadly enough the only map i dont get low fps on is ns_nancy, ive tinkered with every corner of my system and nothing seems to bring the fps rate up, i my specs
Win XP
1.4 ghz athlon
geforce2 ti 200
128 megs of ddr
20 gig hardrive,516 dsl connection

now the earlier post on this matter had a comp lesser than mine and still managed 20 or 30 fps, im sporting !!!!A WHOPPING 8 FPS!!! ive switched my resolution to every possible setting, ive typed in every console sommand i know such as fps_max 100 and all that junk, and ive decided it cant be a defunked harddrive because ns_nancy works well at an honest 60 fps, ive tweaked my vid card over and over again to every possibility known from here to hell and back again. when i get in game the fps skyrocket to about 80 fps and then drop to about 8 so this tells me its well within capablilitys of my system. well i hope i can fix it with your help fellas.

Comments

• uk_jauk_ja Join Date: 2002-12-20 Member: 11245Members, Constellation
    I asked the same question for i have the same problem and no one answered?

Mabye 2nd time round someone might?
  • JediHowellJediHowell Join Date: 2002-10-05 Member: 1431Members
    First off, what OS are you running? If you're running XP, lack of memory could be your problem.

GF*2* ti200? you sure you don't mean GF2ti or GF3ti200? How video memory?

20gb harddrive? how much you got free? If you don't have enough free harddrive space for a swap file(which you will DEFINITELY need with 128 mb memory), you can run into serious problems.

What renderer are you using? I would personally recommend OpenGL, as DirectX gives bad performance on GeForce cards(at least, for me).

I assume you've thought of this, but how many programs do you have running in the background?

I know some of this sounds odd, as if something was wrong here, it should affect all maps, but some maps use different resources. What can you think of about Nancy that's different from all the other maps?

jh
  • JediHowellJediHowell Join Date: 2002-10-05 Member: 1431Members
    Please forgive me:

<!--QuoteBegin--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->
    Ok i have been investigating the problems dreading framerate in quite a few maps, can
    you guess what it is? the MP3 ambience files! in ns_nancy mp3's are rarely ever used so
    the map runs smooth and doesnt drop to 5 frames per second half-way mid game,
    now heres the solution, since servers dont search or check for mp3 files, this is what you
    do:

open your c:/sierra/half-life/ns/sound/ambience now when in that folder DELETE any
    mp3 file over 150 kb in size, now after that u do the usual emptying of the recycling bin
    and load up NS, play any other map besides ns_nancy and you will notice that your
    framerate will be constant through many many rounds of play, sure spawn areas might
    be laggy but thats polycount, the possible cause of the fps drop from mp3's is that your
    cpu is concentrating on loading the mp3 file repeatedly and since the sounds loop , your

cpu just keeps working and working leaving all the rendering and things to your video
    card, i have a gf2 which can handle some, but working on everything all by itself is not
    exactly gonna give you good fps, now with the mp3's out of mind and out of sight, the cpu

can help the video card with image processing and therfore can continue with constant
    normal framerate, give all thanks to my 3 week investigation  i hope this gets a sticky

because it works and is a savior for many low enders  <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->

jh
  • MystShadow56MystShadow56 Join Date: 2002-12-24 Member: 11505Members
    Ok that seems like a great idea and will most likley do the trick (ahem) however theres one problem half life net servers will automatically replace any files u may be misssing there for putting strain on yer cpu once again how does one remedy this?
  • WolfofShadowsWolfofShadows Join Date: 2002-12-23 Member: 11420Members
    cl_downloads "1"
    cl_downloadingame "1"
  • uk_jauk_ja Join Date: 2002-12-20 Member: 11245Members, Constellation
    I answer your questions because i have the same problem

Windows 98 2nd edition

32MB ati allinwonder

20GB HD with 10GB free

Desktop 800 x 600
    openGL 800 x 600

I closed all background running programs

That i don't know what IS different about nancy?.....i can play that map fine with a 60 ping and 50FPS........and only that map?

I tried the deleting of mp3 files but it never made a difference...i even went as far as deleting all the amb sound files and it just downloaded and replaced them.....i even turned the ingame download off and it still downloaded the files and lagged me to 4FPS and 300 ping.
  • UnknownUnknown Join Date: 2002-06-12 Member: 759Members
    <!--QuoteBegin--Shadow{}Wolf+Dec 25 2002, 11:32 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Shadow{}Wolf @ Dec 25 2002, 11:32 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->cl_downloads "1"
    cl_downloadingame "1"<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    That turns them on, not off....

Try going to Multiplayer -> Customize

Then set the music volume to 0.00000 and disable the music. About the looping sounds... I forget..

Also, you can set

cl_allowdownload to 0
    and
    cl_allowupload to 0

I don't know if the quoted commands are even commands, but if they are, you can set them to 0 instead of 1.
  • NickBlastaNickBlasta Join Date: 2002-11-25 Member: 9859Members
    More ram. You should run XP with a bare minimum of 192.