Please tell me veil exploit is being fixed

includeinclude aka RpTheHotrodDallas, TX Join Date: 2003-01-08 Member: 12027Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
edited December 2012 in NS2 General Discussion
Just had a 40 minute game of a gorge bilebombing through walls all match...constantly. We still managed to win as I stood on guard duty repairing that entire dang time.

edit- apparently some people don't understand that bilebombing through a wall DOESN'T mean sitting in a vent. They are cheating by going OUTSIDE of the map and bilebombing (shock) through the wall.

Comments

• d0ped0gd0ped0g Join Date: 2003-05-25 Member: 16679Members
    edited December 2012
    EDIT: nevermind, wrong thing
  • 1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2040740:date=Dec 5 2012, 11:42 PM:name=d0ped0g)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (d0ped0g @ Dec 5 2012, 11:42 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2040740"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Just to be clear, are you not talking about bile bombing through a wall, but instead about people gorging in the vent by nanogrid, placing clogs just below the top entrance/exit point, and using the arc of the bilebomb to stay out of line-of-sight and still hit the powernode?

My opinion is that this is not an exploit (if you can use smart use of cover to avoid being hit while seiging, it shouldn't be considered exploitative), however is certainly a massive oversight in the placement of the powernode. Although maybe it's exploiting the bad power-node placement, I dunno. I just see it as an issue in the map. The way I see it there are 9 ways of dealing with it:<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

In ns1 veil those vents could be sealed with a welder.
    <!--quoteo(post=2040768:date=Dec 5 2012, 11:51 PM:name=1dominator1)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (1dominator1 @ Dec 5 2012, 11:51 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2040768"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->In ns1 veil those vents could be sealed with a welder.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Whilst I don't think it should be made any easier for a marine team to take and hold nano than it currently is (disregarding this gorge problem), this is definitely another way in which this bile bomb issue can be fixed. If I had remembered that at the time I would have added it to my list.
  • ImbalanxdImbalanxd Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104581Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2040768:date=Dec 6 2012, 06:51 AM:name=1dominator1)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (1dominator1 @ Dec 6 2012, 06:51 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2040768"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->In ns1 veil those vents could be sealed with a welder.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

omg omg omg omg

I just loaded up NS2, and it turns out it WASN'T NS1! I even loaded up NS1 afterwards to check, and yep, they definitely were not the same game.

Anyway, I love those vents. I love being able to decimate an unprepared marine team, and I love being forced as a commander to make a choice between rapid GL research or jetpacks, or losing nanogrid. Closing those vents would massively skew that map in favor of marines. Compared to ns1 veil, that detour at skylights that takes you to west junction makes sieging out double muuuuch easier. A fair trade then, for unweldable vents I think,
  • includeinclude aka RpTheHotrod Dallas, TX Join Date: 2003-01-08 Member: 12027Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited December 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2040740:date=Dec 5 2012, 09:42 PM:name=d0ped0g)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (d0ped0g @ Dec 5 2012, 09:42 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2040740"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Just to be clear, are you not talking about bile bombing through a wall, but instead about people gorging in the vent by nanogrid, placing clogs just below the top entrance/exit point, and using the arc of the bilebomb to stay out of line-of-sight and still hit the powernode?

My opinion is that this is not an exploit (if you can use smart use of cover to avoid being hit while seiging, it shouldn't be considered exploitative), however is certainly a massive oversight in the placement of the powernode. Although maybe it's exploiting the bad power-node placement, I dunno. I just see it as an issue in the map. The way I see it there are 9 ways of dealing with it:

1) Not at all. Leave it in. Allow players to do it.
    2) Add it to some non-existent list of commonly-accepted exploits that should not be used no matter what server you're on.
    3) Leave it up to the server admins to determine whether or not you're exploiting.
    4) Make bile bomb fire in a straight line so you can't do it (bad idea)
    5) Make clogs only stick to the ground or on top of other clogs, rather than be able to stick one to the wall (bad idea)
    6) Move the powernode (my preferred option)
    7) Add hand grenades so it can be countered earlier (also a preferred option for me)
    8) Decrease the height of the vent entrance/exit above nanogrid.
    9) Decrease the depth/width of the part of the vent leading up to the entrance/exit above nano so you cant get far back enough to lob the bile bombs correctly.

Anyway, I find it hard to believe that in a 40 minute match the gorge was doing this the entire time. At some point grenade launchers must have been researched.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

No...I clearly said....bilebombing through a wall. They go OUTSIDE of the map and bilebomb through the wall.
  • TyrsisTyrsis Join Date: 2002-11-15 Member: 8804Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2040777:date=Dec 6 2012, 12:12 AM:name=include)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (include @ Dec 6 2012, 12:12 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2040777"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->No...I clearly said....bilebombing through a wall. They go OUTSIDE of the map and bilebomb through the wall.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I found the hole in veil by mistake the other day. Just make sure you report where you found the hole, and it should get patched.
    edited December 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2040777:date=Dec 6 2012, 12:12 AM:name=include)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (include @ Dec 6 2012, 12:12 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2040777"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->No...I clearly said....bilebombing through a wall. They go OUTSIDE of the map and bilebomb through the wall.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Oops sorry. I just assumed this was what you were referring to. I wasn't aware there were any outstanding issues of this kind on veil.

Perhaps be a bit more specific if you would like the problem to be addressed. Which wall? Where? Perhaps the more important question is, how do you even get outside the map? Though I guess unless you saw the exploiter doing it you might not know.
  • MavickMavick Join Date: 2012-11-07 Member: 168138Members
    You don't want to be more specific, because more people will find out what it is and exploit it. I actually don't know what he's talking about and don't want too. If this is a legitimate issue it needs to be fixed asap.
  • rantologyrantology Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143750Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    The OP could not specify how to duplicate this exploit, if anyone knows please PM me and it will be fixed asap.
  • ogzogz Join Date: 2002-11-24 Member: 9765Members
    on that note, how do you report bugs and stuff via ingame again?

I remember you were able to stand in a particular location (where a hole is etc) and type something in console to send a msg to the mappers
  • rantologyrantology Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143750Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    <!--quoteo(post=2040865:date=Dec 6 2012, 02:36 AM:name=ogz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ogz @ Dec 6 2012, 02:36 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2040865"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->on that note, how do you report bugs and stuff via ingame again?

I remember you were able to stand in a particular location (where a hole is etc) and type something in console to send a msg to the mappers<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You type "annotate mymessagehere" and it will annotate it. "displayannotations" will show you if you've done it right. If it's a pressing issue it's always good to contact a Playtester or Map Tester to bring it to the attention of the mappers quicker.
  • includeinclude aka RpTheHotrod Dallas, TX Join Date: 2003-01-08 Member: 12027Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Just an update that how this exploit works has been reported directly to Max by a forum-goer here that read this post and knows how it works.
  • DestroidDestroid Join Date: 2011-10-25 Member: 129240Members
    edited December 2012
    I've seen this on docking too, but with Lerks. Amusingly it actually hurts the alien team more than it helps because the damage is easily neutralised by a MAC or two.
  • nSidianSidia Join Date: 2012-08-15 Member: 155651Members
    I would guess u just walk outside of the map using the massive holes that let you out. Or you might be able to evolve on the noclip face in the vent under double. I have done this before on docking and veil. Most of the time i just fall to my death tho. But if you just evolve a upgrade as a lerk im sure you would have time to catch yourself. Also mavick why did you ban me from your server? Cant take the heat? Affected? Or just bad.. that's it just bad.
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    edited December 2012
    We received the information and this problem should be fixed in the next patch.

--Cory
  • DawormDaworm Join Date: 2009-06-22 Member: 67900Members
    and thus - using getsatisfaction or google moderator would be much easier to manage bug reports in a web format! :D
  • wulfwulf Join Date: 2008-08-03 Member: 64749Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2041194:date=Dec 6 2012, 01:53 PM:name=nSidia)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (nSidia @ Dec 6 2012, 01:53 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2041194"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I would guess u just walk outside of the map using the massive holes that let you out.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

shhh