English plz

dissectiondissection Join Date: 2012-11-14 Member: 170914Members
edited December 2012 in NS2 General Discussion
No offense, but as an european I recognize there are a lot of french people in this game. Actually most of the servers frequently visited interesting to me are of french origin.
I know that french people have a kind of proud in their language and they largely try to keep anglicisms out of their language for example.

As respectable as that might be - in this game its quite bad. I have been to so many games where the commander is speaking french only. It is obvious, that there will always be people who wont be able to speak french.

This would be totally fine if you could find enough players for every native tongue. But there isnt. The most servers that have decent pings to me as a german are french. The german servers are generally quite empty. I really dont want to offend somebody with this - but please, speak english. This game is so heavily demanding on a well organized team its fatal to the gameplay if you cant understand whats happening. And in result, it will be intmidating a lot of new players. So please, speak or write in english! (to be shamelessly honest: better is writing. If your own english isnt that well either you can have kind of a hard time to understand whats been said sometimes when its heavily accented - i think its worth to be mentioned)

Comments

• JediPhreaKJediPhreaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167028Members
    I have come across this when I wake up early and want to game but no American Servers are occupied. It was pretty frustrating to hear someone babbling in a language I couldn't understand. English is the language of Computers and the Internet, if you want to ensure cross country communication speak or type in English.

And if your commander is speaking English on a French Server don't babble at him in french when he has said he doesn't speak French.
  • ChickenbombChickenbomb Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164648Members
    I'm outraged that I've yet come across a server with people speaking Chinese.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Well technically it's their "house", their rules. Can't do much against it...
  • CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester
    I simply categorically avoid French servers altogether. Because of the reason above, though that was not really anything new since it's what my previous encounters with French players in other games have shown thus far. Not all of them, but many.
    Generally I also try to avoid German servers (even though I understand them) because it's handled similar there as well, though those guys at least resort to English for the important stuff if there are international players around.

But I still find enough full servers either in form of the official 16p ones or the Sweden-based OldAssGamers servers, which still give me a decent ping below 100 and have some really good and nice players on them.
  • Bad MojoBad Mojo Join Date: 2009-05-01 Member: 67317Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2040629:date=Dec 5 2012, 07:12 PM:name=Chickenbomb)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Chickenbomb @ Dec 5 2012, 07:12 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2040629"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm outraged that I've yet come across a server with people speaking Chinese.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I've been thinking the same thing in regards to Arabic.
  • RaZDaZRaZDaZ Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167331Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I'm typically avoiding any server with [FR] or [GER] in the title. Which usually means only a few servers for EU which is so frustrating because getting into the 20-24 player servers EU is a nightmare in most cases yet there are many french servers that aren't full quite often. Getting into ]db[ is quite a pain at peak times, could be up to a 15 minute wait.
  • xxswatelitexxxxswatelitexx Join Date: 2012-11-16 Member: 171754Members
    You can't force people to use your language.
    The people who own the server pay for the server with their own money. What right do you have to force them, and their money to accomidate you?

If you want an English server pay for one your self. Or find a few people to payshare for one in your timezone.
  • nailertnnailertn Join Date: 2012-11-18 Member: 172301Members
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES&#33; FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS&#33; Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    <!--quoteo(post=2040645:date=Dec 6 2012, 11:35 AM:name=Kouji_San)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kouji_San @ Dec 6 2012, 11:35 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2040645"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Well technically it's their "house", their rules. Can't do much against it...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    What if they join an english speaking server?
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=2040674:date=Dec 6 2012, 01:00 AM:name=AuroN2)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (AuroN2 @ Dec 6 2012, 01:00 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2040674"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What if they join an english speaking server?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Obviously the same rules would apply there ;)
  • SoulfighterSoulfighter Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167432Members
    That's a pointless thread, most people who are joining servers tagged with a specific language do it precisely because they don't want / can't communicate in english (which is obviously their right, if being bilingual was mandatory to play ns2 there wouldn't be that much copies sold).
    Now i understand how frustrating it can be but to be honest communication isn't that important in ffa, if you keep looking at your map you'll see where you need to go and where your team is, you can also easly ask simple things with practically no english words like "carapace plz" or "4 marines at cargo" since there's no localization everyone has the same game-related vocabulary.
  • LofungLofung Join Date: 2004-08-21 Member: 30757Members
    le engrish too stonk i hasnt speak so9ry
  • Angry ChildAngry Child Join Date: 2012-12-05 Member: 174256Members
    I think french people on french servers should be allowed to speak french to their french teammates... If you are the intruder there without knowing their language dont play there, problem solved :)
  • GuspazGuspaz Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2862Members, Constellation
    Having lived my entire life as an English-speaker in a French-speaking city... tough luck. Don't like it, don't play on French servers. Demanding otherwise just makes you come off as arrogant. I'm not trying to name-call here, but really, what else can I call it?

This is analogous to you walking into an office in Paris and demanding that all the workers speak English. It's absurd.
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu Anememone Join Date: 2002-03-23 Member: 345Members
    I think everyone should only be able to speak in quotes from the movie "Aliens."
    <!--quoteo(post=2040742:date=Dec 6 2012, 03:45 AM:name=TychoCelchuuu)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TychoCelchuuu @ Dec 6 2012, 03:45 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2040742"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think everyone should only be able to speak in quotes from the movie "Aliens."<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Deal! But are we allowed to base them on the quotes?

<i>They mostly speak in quotes... Mostly...</i>
  • dePARAdePARA Join Date: 2011-04-29 Member: 96321Members, Squad Five Blue
    Its "funny" that german players try to play on french servers leaving the german servers empty and complain about empty german servers.
    The french people didnt do that. Think about it.

On our servers we speak 80-90% english, so every EU player can play there. One reason is, the HBZ servers are the oldest NS2 servers in the EU with many beta players playing on them.
    Sad thing is: They are empty most of the time.
  • 1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
    edited December 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2040626:date=Dec 5 2012, 08:10 PM:name=JediPhreaK)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (JediPhreaK @ Dec 5 2012, 08:10 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2040626"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I have come across this when I wake up early and want to game but no American Servers are occupied. It was pretty frustrating to hear someone babbling in a language I couldn't understand. English is the language of Computers and the Internet, if you want to ensure cross country communication speak or type in English.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I guess they dont want to ensure cross country communication. Fancy that.

<!--quoteo(post=2040728:date=Dec 5 2012, 11:23 PM:name=Guspaz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Guspaz @ Dec 5 2012, 11:23 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2040728"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Having lived my entire life as an English-speaker in a French-speaking city... tough luck. Don't like it, don't play on French servers. Demanding otherwise just makes you come off as arrogant. I'm not trying to name-call here, but really, what else can I call it?

This is analogous to you walking into an office in Paris and demanding that all the workers speak English. It's absurd.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Please! Montreal is renowned as being at least half english, and well above that are capable of speaking it though they may prefer french.
  • xxswatelitexxxxswatelitexx Join Date: 2012-11-16 Member: 171754Members
    I think its pretty simple argument who want English.
    English isn't the most spoken language on earth. Its Mandarin.

So if you want the language with the most number of people who would understand you, you obviously should argue for Chinese instead :P

------

Probably one easy solution is to create a regional gaming community on NS, and publicize it for those region players.
    For example NS German site \ NS French \ NS etc.
    Let people in those regions know such a site exists, and the servers available for that region.

Let them meet other players, setup some times.
    Not only would you find other players in your area, your more then likely get to speak with people of your own language groups
    Personally I am horrible at second languages and my primary language is english.

But even then I am not so pompous that I believe other people should conform to my lack of education to speak their language in their area.
  • Uh-OhUh-Oh Join Date: 2002-11-04 Member: 6917Members
    edited December 2012
    Not everyone can or enjoys speaking a foreign language.
    People play games to have fun, so if they don't enjoy speaking english, though luck.

It's great if you're bilingual, but you can't expect players to significantly lessen the enjoyment of their game to improve yours.

NS isn't work or school... and as you stated, it was on a french server. It's THE place for them to play and communicate without having every other players ###### about the french babbling.

Gotta remember that even native english speakers often don't even communicate. A ball park figure from my experience is that 60% of players on pub servers don't even speak, EVER. They might not have a microphone, they might have someone sleeping next to them, they might be mute.
    So asking the ones that don't speak english to only communicate in english is like asking the ones who don't speak to go buy a mic.

Its unreasonable.

Language barrier aside, only a fraction of the players actually communicate and show teamwork. It's too bad, but thats how it is.
  • SoulfighterSoulfighter Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167432Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2040772:date=Dec 6 2012, 05:57 AM:name=xxswatelitexx)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (xxswatelitexx @ Dec 6 2012, 05:57 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2040772"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So if you want the language with the most number of people who would understand you, you obviously should argue for Chinese instead :P<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

internet =/= real life , most chinese are still poor peasants living outside big cities, there's a huge gap between the hong kong citizen and the average chinese. English is the internet language right now.
  • FrankerZFrankerZ Join Date: 2012-05-06 Member: 151627Members
  • NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    edited December 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2040742:date=Dec 5 2012, 11:45 PM:name=TychoCelchuuu)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TychoCelchuuu @ Dec 5 2012, 11:45 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2040742"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think everyone should only be able to speak in quotes from the movie "Aliens."<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Funny thing is, on French servers it'll still be "Aliens" quotes in French. They are notorious dubbers. Jeu fini homme, jeu fini!
  • nailertnnailertn Join Date: 2012-11-18 Member: 172301Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2040772:date=Dec 5 2012, 09:57 PM:name=xxswatelitexx)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (xxswatelitexx @ Dec 5 2012, 09:57 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2040772"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think its pretty simple argument who want English.
    English isn't the most spoken language on earth. Its Mandarin.

So if you want the language with the most number of people who would understand you, you obviously should argue for Chinese instead :P

------

Probably one easy solution is to create a regional gaming community on NS, and publicize it for those region players.
    For example NS German site \ NS French \ NS etc.
    Let people in those regions know such a site exists, and the servers available for that region.

Let them meet other players, setup some times.
    Not only would you find other players in your area, your more then likely get to speak with people of your own language groups
    Personally I am horrible at second languages and my primary language is english.

But even then I am not so pompous that I believe other people should conform to my lack of education to speak their language in their area.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yes Mandarin is HUGE in Europe and on the Internet.

Only a couple of thousand people play NS2, but I guess separating that small community and setting up localized sites is still easier than getting a frenchie to say 'le shotgun'.

I don't consider a German dude asking French players to speak English pompous, rather the contrary. Him having to ask this points to arrogance and / or a lack of education on the other end. I never have this problem on Nordic servers and very rarely on German / Polish / Russian ones.
  • RobustPenguinRobustPenguin Join Date: 2012-08-17 Member: 155719Members
    Go on a server thats labeled [FR] and expect to have french commanders, the only reason i would accept trying to make every (who can) speak english is where all europeans are thrown together with no individual server choices (Dota2 for instance) and even then I think its unfair to try make people speak a language but their own in their own leisure time.
  • dissectiondissection Join Date: 2012-11-14 Member: 170914Members
    Dont see this as a demand, see it as an appeal. Of course its your right to speak french on a french labeled server (or german on a german one), but there are just too few serevers in europe and this is aiming directly at french people because the main problem is just that european servers are many, but most of them are empty. If I want to join a game, the ping reduces those that are sufficient to a few servers. I can only get a handfull with ping <150 and the most of them are french (if I dont want to start alone on the server). If you know english just be conscious it is a problem for many people on the servers, because i often read requests to speak english, it isnt just me. Thats all I wanted to say - it would be helpful.
  • Uh-OhUh-Oh Join Date: 2002-11-04 Member: 6917Members
    So you don't like it when they speak french (or any other language).
    Well, if they don't speak english its either because they can't or don't like it.

This is a game, there is no reason to do something you don't want to do. If speaking english to play with you increased their enjoyment, they'd do it. But it apparently doesn't so they don't.

If I wanna play a game where I do not use my microphone, I'm not gonna use it, even if it means the "teamwork" might be lessened.

Bottom line: it's a shame that you don't have populated and nearby servers, but if they PAY for a server, it's only normal that they get their money's worth by playing how they like.
  • EvilKoaLaEvilKoaLa Join Date: 2012-03-24 Member: 149331Members
    As a french server admin ( <b>NS2FRANCE #x</b> ), I can assure you ppl that if one of us is in the comm chair, we first speak french.

If the boys don't seem to understand, we try in English, almost everytime.

BUT : You have to understand and accept that in France, we don't speak english natively, and we don't learn it just by watching Tv or something. Fin's and other guys in Northern Europe speaks english well, because there is a lot of english on their TV, on the street, and ######.

In France, <u><b>everything</b></u> is translated to french.

So don't expect every french player to be able to speak English, and this counts for Spanish guys too.

Majority of ppl on french server does not even speak french correctly, so don't expect them to speak English just for a second :/

Oh, and if some french ppl start talkin in French on your english server, just kick them out.
  • dissectiondissection Join Date: 2012-11-14 Member: 170914Members
    edited December 2012
    So maybe we can get together with something that will suit anyone.

I just got the idea that you may do basic commands and symbolize them as well. So if you do a "regroup here" command for your teammates, there may be a symbol of people closely packed together for example. And other symbolic commands as well. Maybe one could increase the amount of stuff you can tell other players by short, symbolic quickmenu communication. (command type select menu -> map with clicking on location to ping) And player-player communication i mean, not only commander-player ( he may see it as well but get another color) It would also solve a whole lot of other things, such as people not using microphones, no time to type etc.
  • VeNeMVeNeM Join Date: 2002-07-13 Member: 928Members
    im outraged that the entire world DOESNT speak ENGLISH

what is the MATTER WITH YOU PPL?!