For the love of god give us reserved slots

2»

Comments

• neX!TemneX!Tem Join Date: 2012-11-11 Member: 169651Members
    I guess any user with the permission should always join a reserved slot ( which is hidden ) even if the server is not full.
  • HyperformsHyperforms Join Date: 2012-11-04 Member: 166912Members
    edited November 2012
    Reserved slots piss me off to no end. I wouldn't mind it if you could filter out servers that have them.
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    If you're running DAK Admin Mod, I wrote a simple plugin that allows you to set a password that will auto-enable when the server reaches a certain player threshold:

<a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?s=&showtopic=120542&view=findpost&p=2026972" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...t&p=2026972</a>

This way you can simply give the password to "reserve" players and there will usually be space for them when they want to join.
  • CheesyPetezaCheesyPeteza Join Date: 2002-11-24 Member: 9784Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation
    All the devs need to add is sv_visiblemaxplayers and leave the reserve slot coding to the modding community.
  • bawNgbawNg Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173642Members, NS2 Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=2019275:date=Nov 11 2012, 08:02 AM:name=DeadmindsX)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DeadmindsX @ Nov 11 2012, 08:02 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2019275"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->can we make it so if the server is full, the next connecting player goes to affiliated server instead of getting kicked?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

While a way to change the visible slot count is very important for any slot reservation mod, a way to redirect players to another server like the Source engine allows is also a useful feature which can be used by mods when the server is full or if the player uses a chat command to quickly hop to another server.
  • CheesyPetezaCheesyPeteza Join Date: 2002-11-24 Member: 9784Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=2040584:date=Dec 5 2012, 11:15 PM:name=bawNg)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (bawNg @ Dec 5 2012, 11:15 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2040584"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->While a way to change the visible slot count is very important for any slot reservation mod, a way to redirect players to another server like the Source engine allows is also a useful feature which can be used by mods when the server is full or if the player uses a chat command to quickly hop to another server.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That was done in HL by running a command on a client from the server. Adding this opens up a can of worms, adding a specific command to send a client to another server could be done, but I personally would be against it but I don't want to derail this thread by discussing that.

What we need is a way to change what the max players is reported to incoming server queries. This should be fairly simple to code and leaves the messy stuff for modders to deal with.

Steps required:
    Create a cvar sv_maxvisibleplayers available for servers
    On incoming query check if this cvar is set, if so check it is between 1 & 32, if I t is valid report its setting as max players

Once coded check that the server browser can handle higher players than maxplayers while still recognising the server as full.

Keep it simple, let the devs code the engine part we can't do ourselves and leave the rest to the modders.