How do you want UWE to communicate future server changes?

MurphyIdiotMurphyIdiot NS2 programmer Join Date: 2008-04-17 Member: 64095Members, Super Administrators, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
Hey server ops!

I have been wanting to setup a mail list or something so we can discuss server changes/improvements with all of you.

So, what would you prefer?

A google group? (all communication can be on the email list)

A mailchimp list? (I think this would just be 1 way, and then we can use these forums for more discussion)

Just use these forums?

Any other ideas?

I am leaning towards setting up a google group as it is simple and I use it myself for other stuff.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks

Comments

• Me9aMe9a Join Date: 2008-03-27 Member: 63981Members
    edited December 2012
    i would prefer an steam group or forum topic where every member can add himself to the maillist that gets send with pms or emails

Mega
  • krazekraze Join Date: 2012-10-26 Member: 163744Members
    edited December 2012
    I think a Google group would be fine. A mailing list would be good as well. I guess it just depends on what is easiest for you guys to maintain, doesn't really matter what you pick since we'll all follow it.

Another preferred option would be just to update the current sources you have sooner. Such as updating the blog before updates are rolled out, posting a forum topic for future or current changes and getting the changelog posted to Steam news as soon as possible.
  • swalkswalk Say hello to my little friend. Join Date: 2011-01-20 Member: 78384Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited December 2012
    I think just thread would be fine, unless you want something else. Easy to find and access for everyone interested.

Suggestion for server change:
    How about getting all the client files on the servers, so we can block them with consistency check?
  • bawNgbawNg Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173642Members, NS2 Playtester
    edited December 2012
    I think a mailing list would work, so would a Google group. Active communication from the game developers to support admins and mod developers is very important and a serious issue for many other games.
  • RebelRebel Join Date: 2003-04-10 Member: 15371Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Subnautica Playtester
    Google group then people can opt it and out of email etc.
  • pRiNcEkAhUnApRiNcEkAhUnA Join Date: 2012-03-06 Member: 148264Members
  • MrYiffMrYiff Join Date: 2004-08-24 Member: 30867Members, NS2 Playtester
    Google group seems best as not every server op will want to spend time trawling through the forums for info.
  • WalsaWalsa Join Date: 2011-06-28 Member: 106813Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Google group or mailing list.
  • WasabiOneWasabiOne Co-Lead NS2 CDT Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104623Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    I think a google group would be much better as well
  • SteamyTacoSteamyTaco Join Date: 2012-03-06 Member: 148274Members
    Google group owns.
  • oldassgamersoldassgamers Join Date: 2011-02-02 Member: 80033Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    Google group or mail list :D
  • VladdehVladdeh Join Date: 2005-03-30 Member: 47004Members, NS2 Playtester
    google group or mailing list
  • ZEROibisZEROibis Join Date: 2009-10-30 Member: 69176Members, Constellation
    Mailing list would be ideal just please make it so that messages declaring an update has been released follow the same unique format each time. This way we can configure our phones to ring / explode when an update is released ect.

Mailing list is ideal b/c a simple e-mail is a very powerful way of communicating to us. For one it works for EVERYONE as we all have e-mail. Second it allows us to take advantage of the many ways e-mail integrated into our lives and technology to ensure that we stay informed no matter what device we use or where we are.
  • ScyllaScylla Join Date: 2003-08-05 Member: 18942Members
    Google Group is fine for me.
  • RothgarRothgar Join Date: 2009-11-13 Member: 69372Members
    Not played much with Google Groups but mailing list or seems Google Groups are popular.

Forums I think would get messy.
  • ExplosifBeExplosifBe Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58284Forum Admins, Playtest Lead, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Pistachionauts, Retired Community Developer
    I'd definitely love having a mailing list
  • EvilKoaLaEvilKoaLa Join Date: 2012-03-24 Member: 149331Members
  • Sr LanceSr Lance Rhythm is a Lancer Join Date: 2004-11-18 Member: 32862Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    edited December 2012
    Mailing list - just like how Valve have it for engine/server updates to DODS/TF2/CS: You get information on releases about to happen and any changes to the server you might have to do. And if you are registered can comment on the post section and get feedback etc.

Real Example below:

-----Original Message-----
    From: hlds_announce-bounces@list.valvesoftware.com [mailto:hlds_announce-bounces@list.valvesoftware.com] On Behalf Of Eric Smith
    Sent: 05 December 2012 02:09
    To: 'hlds@list.valvesoftware.com'; 'hlds_linux@list.valvesoftware.com'; 'hlds_announce@list.valvesoftware.com'
    Subject: Re: [hlds_announce] Optional TF2, DoD:S, and HL2:DM updates released

We just released another update to address the regression in the circular progress bars. This update also fixes some clients who were unable to launch the game because of a problem with Mss32.dll.

This update does not affect dedicated servers.

-Eric

Sent: Tuesday, December 04, 2012 12:25 PM
    To: 'hlds@list.valvesoftware.com'; 'hlds_linux@list.valvesoftware.com'; 'hlds_announce@list.valvesoftware.com'
    Subject: Optional TF2, DoD:S, and HL2:DM updates released

We've released optional (for dedicated servers) updates for Team Fortress 2, Day of Defeat: Source, and Half-Life 2: Deathmatch. The notes for the updates are below. These updates do not affect dedicated servers.

-Eric

------------------------------

Source Engine Changes (TF2, DoD:S, HL2:DM)
    - Updated to support Big Picture mode

From: hlds_announce-bounces@list.valvesoftware.com [mailto:hlds_announce-bounces@list.valvesoftware.com] On Behalf Of Eric Smith
    Sent: 29 November 2012 22:17
    To: Half-Life dedicated Linux server mailing list; Half-Life dedicated Win32 server mailing list; 'hlds_announce@list.valvesoftware.com'
    Subject: [hlds_announce] Mandatory TF2, DoD:S, and HL2:DM updates released

We've released mandatory updates for TF2, DoD:S, and HL2:DM. The notes for the updates are below.

-Eric

------------------------------

Source Engine Changes (TF2, DoD:S, HL2:DM)
    - Fixed a problem with some materials not being displayed correctly
    - Fixed weapon pickup sounds not being played for some weapons

Team Fortress 2
    - Added The Tuxxy
    - Added a new promo item
    - Fixed some HUD clipping issues when using cl_hud_minmode
    - Fixed Mann vs. Machine popfiles not properly resetting on changelevel
    - Fixed seeing an error model when watching replays with missing models
    - Fixed missing materials in the control point HUD on attack/defend maps
    - Fixed a problem that would cause Halloween spell effects to appear on some items
    - Updated the Mann Co. Store
    - Cosmetic items purchased in the store moving forward can be used in crafting
    - Class starter bundles now contain a Name Tag instead of a class-specific hat

• bawNgbawNg Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173642Members, NS2 Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=2040411:date=Dec 5 2012, 07:25 PM:name=Sr Lance)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sr Lance @ Dec 5 2012, 07:25 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2040411"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Mailing list - just like how Valve have it for engine/server updates to DODS/TF2/CS: You get information on releases about to happen and any changes to the server you might have to do. And if you are registered can comment on the post section and get feedback etc.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Hopefully with one major difference, UWE actually listening to server admins and mod developers and giving them feedback, instead of just completely ignoring everyone like Valve.
  • ZEROibisZEROibis Join Date: 2009-10-30 Member: 69176Members, Constellation
    edited December 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2040619:date=Dec 5 2012, 06:58 PM:name=bawNg)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (bawNg @ Dec 5 2012, 06:58 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2040619"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Hopefully with one major difference, UWE actually listening to server admins and mod developers and giving them feedback, instead of just completely ignoring everyone like Valve.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Like how valve has moved away from independent server operators with cs:go. They finally drew the line in the sand with that game.

On a related note a BIG THANKS TO UWE for working WITH us server operators! We love your game and want to offer the players on our servers the best experience possible so that they can all enjoy the game as much as us. I hope that UWE continues to recognize some of the unique needs in dealing with server operators.
  • MurphyIdiotMurphyIdiot NS2 programmer Join Date: 2008-04-17 Member: 64095Members, Super Administrators, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    Thanks for the feedback everyone :)

I have created a google group: uwe-server-ops@googlegroups.com

Please join up! We will be posting messages to that group whenever we have an improvement or change to the dedicated server.

We also plan to get feedback using this group.
  • CoTTonCoTTon Join Date: 2005-02-28 Member: 42773Members
    Make sure everyone that you switch the "notify" me to send new email when it posts so then u don't miss out on any topics!
  • DawormDaworm Join Date: 2009-06-22 Member: 67900Members
    But... you have... getsatisfaction... that could do this...

linked over there ----->