Web Series - Tactical Operations

It's Super Effective!It's Super Effective! Join Date: 2012-08-28 Member: 156625Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
<div class="IPBDescription">A wild web series appears!</div>Hello NS Community

In preperation for a larger machinima project I have planned for NS2, I am going to be building up my skills with the tools but also try to build up some viewership.

I have created the first video in a series that closely dissects each and every aspect of NS2 to help players of various levels of skill to find a deeper understanding of the game. Feedback will be greatly appreciated.

Things that will be covered can range from anything from each and every element of the game, advanced maneuvers, thought processes,, strategies and more.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/user/Abysmalnight?feature=mhee" target="_blank">Youtube - Tactical Operations</a>

Comments

• reasareasa Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 8010Members, Constellation
    edited December 2012
    This is pretty well done. Nice work.
  • TechnIckSTechnIckS Join Date: 2007-01-14 Member: 59616Members
    Great job It's Super Effective! If you need any help (movie stars!!) let me know :D
  • DawormDaworm Join Date: 2009-06-22 Member: 67900Members
  • thefonzthefonz Join Date: 2011-06-22 Member: 105847Members
    Props man, nice work. You seem like a good shot. Any chance you can help my fix my aim? Can't figure out how far to lead to compensate for the compensation. Aiming on target tends to disappoint me. Nothing like having your client predict 130+ dmg to a skulk and still get eaten.
  • AngeluszAngelusz Harmonic entropist Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18072Members, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    Good tips 'n tricks, this'll definitely help the average players seeking to improve their game.

As for improvements, I highly recommend to try and sound a little less monotonous. As it is right now, I sometimes felt like you were bored explaning what you were doing in the video. More enthusiasm will keep your audience more focused and make it more pleasant to listen to in general.

Hugh is a good example when it comes to a varied intonation, check the tutorial video he narrated for reference.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I really like this, well put-together video and very nice, simply explained and clear messages. Definitely looking forward to more of these!

Roo
  • beyond.wudgebeyond.wudge Join Date: 2012-10-19 Member: 162731Members
    Yeah I like this video. Gw.
  • It's Super Effective!It's Super Effective! Join Date: 2012-08-28 Member: 156625Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited December 2012
    @Angelusz

Heh very true, I thought so too, I'm very much alive when talking in-game if you ever played with me, it's just that I'm a little bit out of my element when I need to talk in a scripted fashion because I want to make sure that I am as clear as possible, and that I am not creating any redundancies in my information. When I tried to talk in a casual tone I'd make more mistakes and mess up my thoughts, but I will work on it, and create a more comfortable atmosphere as I go on other topics and episodes.

@thefonz, I've found that there is very little leading to be had in this game, I could be wrong, but there could be very little difference in bullet velocity. You can see from my videos I pretty much try to maintain lock on a target, also leading target that's coming at you and zig zagging will probably hurt, it's better to just practise keeping it on them.

The next video is on shotgun, which I love personally, You will see me doing less sustained aiming, and more old fashioned "NS1 Snap shot"-ing which may look hard to do, but it's a very different beast that the Rifle. Hopefully you'll pick up some pointers ;)

Perhaps I will call on some people to help out making staged scenarios like I did with those dummy bots. Because it may help illustrate some of the finer points in knowing what to look for when things start moving fast. Anyone interested can feel free to send me their Steam ID's and I'll keep ya'll in mind.
  • It's Super Effective!It's Super Effective! Join Date: 2012-08-28 Member: 156625Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    I finished up my second video in my series, this time covering the Shotgun, please let me know what ya'll think :)

<a href="http://youtu.be/_Ei_PrtF9wo" target="_blank">http://youtu.be/_Ei_PrtF9wo</a>
  • NammNamm Join Date: 2011-12-08 Member: 137116Members
  • SwiftspearSwiftspear Custim tital Join Date: 2003-10-29 Member: 22097Members
    You shouldn't shy away so much from introducing advanced techniques. You clearly use the backwards strafe jump dodge in the first episode, but you don't explain it as anything aside from the mechanic of using strafe to move faster than pure backpedaling. While they're intimately related, it's still and advanced technique that's best detailed just a little bit more. You don't need to sidetrack the tutorial session by discussing a small essay worth of material on all the ways that type of advanced technique can be used, but it's still ok to mention that the advanced technique exists, so players can do more research on it if they're interesting in adding it to their own repertoire.
  • AngeluszAngelusz Harmonic entropist Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18072Members, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=2044872:date=Dec 13 2012, 11:40 AM:name=Swiftspear)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Swiftspear @ Dec 13 2012, 11:40 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2044872"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You shouldn't shy away so much from introducing advanced techniques. You clearly use the backwards strafe jump dodge in the first episode, but you don't explain it as anything aside from the mechanic of using strafe to move faster than pure backpedaling. While they're intimately related, it's still and advanced technique that's best detailed just a little bit more. You don't need to sidetrack the tutorial session by discussing a small essay worth of material on all the ways that type of advanced technique can be used, but it's still ok to mention that the advanced technique exists, so players can do more research on it if they're interesting in adding it to their own repertoire.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

How about a separate issue on advanced movement mechanics then? I think it's best not to overly 'clutter' single video's with information on the side. Best to stick as much to the topic discussed, and highlight other topics in new video's.

I liked the SG video, already better than the previous one. Keep up the good work!
    While I agree much about my shotgun video is about movement, enough so that it could be it's own topic, but what does that leave for the shotgun topic, other than... It shoots slower but hits harder. The reason I coupled this much advice with the shotgun because it takes a bit more finesse to use than the point and drag nature of the rifle. I can add the obvious differences for the other remaining marine weapons and their secondary effects on the outcome of the game, but ultimately they are still guns. Otherwise the series will be about, Here's a rifle, it does this, here's a shotgun, it does this which are probably 2 minutes each, but 90% of using the gun practically is covered in a different 10 minute video.

Maybe I am mis-understanding the advice, but that doesn't seem like it would make for a balanced topic. Each of these videos it makes more sense for me if I cover the topic in it's entirety, without trying to repeat too much from other videos, which I don't feel that I have so far.

I am not disagreeing with the idea for a separate advanced movement video, but I don't feel it should be excluded from closely related videos.

But lets face it, there will be topics that can't fill out a 5 minute video, or would be worth wild for a 2 minute video, to which I would need to combine some things, such as mines, I doubt that would make for a terribly exciting topic, which I may group it under "Explosives" with grenade launcher.

I hope you understand where I am coming from.
  • GORGEousGORGEous Join Date: 2012-02-19 Member: 146762Members, NS2 Map Tester
    edited December 2012
    Those were very good videos. I know everything you're saying and I was still entertained for the four minutes. Keep posting new videos when you finish them!
  • PaniohitusPaniohitus Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168790Members
    edited December 2012
    Tnx for making and posting, good work! Keep it going!
  • ZeframZefram Join Date: 2004-05-11 Member: 28611Members, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts, Retired Community Developer
    Congrats, You just got tweeted by UWE.

"@NS2: Check out 'It's Super Effective!''s in depth shotgun tutorial. Great info on damage fall off, shooting technique, etc! <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ei_PrtF9wo"" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ei_PrtF9wo"</a>

I gotta say, I like this second video much better than the first. Keep them coming.
    edited December 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2044978:date=Dec 13 2012, 09:46 AM:name=It's Super Effective!)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (It's Super Effective! @ Dec 13 2012, 09:46 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2044978"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->While I agree much about my shotgun video is about movement, enough so that it could be it's own topic, but what does that leave for the shotgun topic, other than... It shoots slower but hits harder. The reason I coupled this much advice with the shotgun because it takes a bit more finesse to use than the point and drag nature of the rifle. I can add the obvious differences for the other remaining marine weapons and their secondary effects on the outcome of the game, but ultimately they are still guns. Otherwise the series will be about, Here's a rifle, it does this, here's a shotgun, it does this which are probably 2 minutes each, but 90% of using the gun practically is covered in a different 10 minute video.

Maybe I am mis-understanding the advice, but that doesn't seem like it would make for a balanced topic. Each of these videos it makes more sense for me if I cover the topic in it's entirety, without trying to repeat too much from other videos, which I don't feel that I have so far.

I am not disagreeing with the idea for a separate advanced movement video, but I don't feel it should be excluded from closely related videos.

But lets face it, there will be topics that can't fill out a 5 minute video, or would be worth wild for a 2 minute video, to which I would need to combine some things, such as mines, I doubt that would make for a terribly exciting topic, which I may group it under "Explosives" with grenade launcher.

I hope you understand where I am coming from.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I was referring to the first video, the shotgun video doesn't really have any issues I noticed. In the first video, when you explain that side strafing away from a skulk is generally better than backpedaling, and you do a lot of that, and then you show footage of the backward strafe jump dodge but you don't actually talk about it at all. The strafe jump dodge is a method of using the ability to side strafe full speed to move directly backwards without speed loss. It's an "advanced" technique that utilizes the basic logic you had just previously established, but also utilizes the fact that you don't decelerate in mid air, and that you can control your flight with air control movement for aiming.

I'm recommending that in future videos when you cover stuff like that, don't glaze over that the technique exists. Like, if you were to do a "skulk attacking" video, you may not want to cover the entire ins and outs of wall jumping, but you shouldn't pretend it's not a factor. I'm saying, mention that this advanced technique exists and explain that the details of it are for another video, or for further practice/research.

Please don't take this as "I don't like these videos". They're really awesome! The both videos already gave me some vocabulary for things I did without even realizing I was doing them intentionally! I'm just saying, it's better if newer players know when there's advanced things to work towards, and what those things are, even if they have to do more research to actually figure out how it's done and how it's best utilized.
  • sharnrocksharnrock Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 166084Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2045049:date=Dec 13 2012, 01:38 PM:name=Swiftspear)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Swiftspear @ Dec 13 2012, 01:38 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2045049"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I was referring to the first video, the shotgun video doesn't really have any issues I noticed. In the first video, when you explain that side strafing away from a skulk is generally better than backpedaling, and you do a lot of that, and then you show footage of the backward strafe jump dodge but you don't actually talk about it at all. The strafe jump dodge is a method of using the ability to side strafe full speed to move directly backwards without speed loss. It's an "advanced" technique that utilizes the basic logic you had just previously established, but also utilizes the fact that you don't decelerate in mid air, and that you can control your flight with air control movement for aiming.

I'm recommending that in future videos when you cover stuff like that, don't glaze over that the technique exists. Like, if you were to do a "skulk attacking" video, you may not want to cover the entire ins and outs of wall jumping, but you shouldn't pretend it's not a factor. I'm saying, mention that this advanced technique exists and explain that the details of it are for another video, or for further practice/research.

Please don't take this as "I don't like these videos". They're really awesome! The both videos already gave me some vocabulary for things I did without even realizing I was doing them intentionally! I'm just saying, it's better if newer players know when there's advanced things to work towards, and what those things are, even if they have to do more research to actually figure out how it's done and how it's best utilized.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Ah ok, that definatly helps, yes you are correct. I will do my due diligence to dig deeper into those topics. It can sometimes be hard to explain something that you've just grown into with practice. Cheers, thanks for the input ;)!
  • BurdockBurdock Join Date: 2012-08-27 Member: 156553Members
    Great job, remember to cover minimizing mouse movement for aiming!!
    And keep up the good work
  • SpaceJewSpaceJew Join Date: 2012-09-03 Member: 157584Members
    edited December 2012
    I have to ask, do you play with that low of a mouse sensitivity while on aliens as well, or is that just your Marines team setting?

I've been looking for a happy medium, but yours is significantly lower than what I would have expected.

Otherwise, great videos!

EDIT:

I play on Voogru sometimes as well, and I've noticed that their server has a weird latency issue no matter which team I'm on.
    That's the sensitivity I use for both sides, I learned this back when I played Battlefield 3, it allows for a finer aiming, sure it makes it a bit harder to look behind you, but if you allow your self to get turned around that badly, you probably deserve it :) Try a low setting like the one I have, and make sure to turn off Mouse acceleration via WINDOWS control panel. You will need to learn how to use it, but it should only take a few days. Good luck!
  • OnosFactoryOnosFactory New Zealand Join Date: 2008-07-16 Member: 64637Members
    So, number one, never precede an and with a comma, cf. , and.

Number two, for us that are only reading, back-jump-strafe-huh is actually: Strafe-Jump \*then*\ Back ?

And 'Strafe-Jump' means press left or right \plus\ then press jump ... ?

Is the mouse required for any of this?
    If you want some feed back on 'hitreg' issues, look at 2:47 ... on YouTube ... note how within *a second* 3 different frames show 3 different possibilities. He hit the skulk, between its back right leg and body ... depends so much on the frame your eyes were looking at.

It will never be fps alone ... it is design.
    Again, 2:51, hits back right hip. Doesn't look like it at first few pauses though.
  • CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=2045261:date=Dec 14 2012, 02:56 AM:name=OnosFactory)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (OnosFactory @ Dec 14 2012, 02:56 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2045261"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So, number one, never precede an and with a comma, cf. , and.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

But… but… the Chicago Manual of Style says…
    :(
    <!--quoteo(post=2045261:date=Dec 13 2012, 08:56 PM:name=OnosFactory)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (OnosFactory @ Dec 13 2012, 08:56 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2045261"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So, number one, never precede an and with a comma, cf. , and.

Number two, for us that are only reading, back-jump-strafe-huh is actually: Strafe-Jump \*then*\ Back ?

And 'Strafe-Jump' means press left or right \plus\ then press jump ... ?

Is the mouse required for any of this?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I assume this is referencing me. I use SwiftSpear style grammar. It's somewhere between Oxford standards and stuff I just like because it appeals to my sense of computer programmer logic. Sorry if it annoys people that periods and commas get put outside of quotes and commas get generally overused. My grammatical style has had to adapt to creative use of quotation marks and single quotation marks as well as the occasional emote, and frankly, there's just no grammatical style that really fits perfectly. I also double return between paragraphs, but forums kind of force you to do that.

It's a thing from NS1 that was usually either called "back dodge" or "strafe dodge". I'm not sure who knows those monikers or what they mean, so I was trying to be a little more descriptive. Basically, it's the beginning of a backwards bhop using only the strafe keys. In NS1 with specific crouch timing we could combo 2 bhop jumps together in this style, you can still perform the basic movement for a single jump in NS2, but you don't get the extra speed gain from the air strafe. None the less, because you move straight backwards, and you're at full run speed for the duration of your airborne time, it's better than simply back pedaling or strafing orthogonal to the skulks approach. Super effective performs this technique at approx 1:23 on his first video. He looks in a specific direction so his strafe key pushes him full speed in the direction he wants to fly, jumps, and immediately after the jump returns his mouse to the direction of his incoming targets. This is so he can move "backwards" from where his targets are without having to keep his mouse cross hair off their locations.
  • TaneTane Join Date: 2004-10-25 Member: 32441Members, Constellation
    I'll approve these tutorials.
    Whew, Video #3 is out and about! This time covering the skulk, but really only half the massive topic that the skulk is, but for now this should get you teeth sharp just in time for the Holidays.

<a href="http://youtu.be/fmBRGJd0xxs" target="_blank">http://youtu.be/fmBRGJd0xxs</a>

Cheers,
    It's Super Effective!
  • SmileCodeSmileCode Join Date: 2012-12-20 Member: 175673Members
    I like your work very much. Keep up the good work!