Looking to organize a tournament

Old_GregOld_Greg Join Date: 2012-11-14 Member: 171023Members
So, as the title says I'm looking to organize a tournament and wanted some general feedback from you guys. <a href="http://www.reddit.com/r/ns2/comments/13w46s/reddit_inhouse_natural_selection_2_tournament/" target="_blank">I'm currently running a small, in house tournament over on the ns2 subreddit with 8 teams</a> but I wanted to run another one and open it up to a larger population. There are a few things I wanted to run by you guys first. First off I want to discuss the format of the tournament...

Format:
- Friendly tournament where players sign up as individuals and are placed on teams based on their skill level. We've done this twice at reddit and it has worked out fairly well, the teams are usually balanced and players who sign up are given an opportunity to meet new players.

- Teams of 6 randomly organized but weighted for skill so that all teams are roughly even.

- Best of 3 where a "Coin flip" (Or some other mechanic) chooses which team picks which map to play and on what side they want to start on. The next round the other team picks another map and plays as the opposite side. And then for the final round there is another coin flip to decide what map to play on. (If you have a better system then please suggest it. I haven't been able to think of a better system.)
Note: A team cannot play on the same map as the same team twice.

- All maps except for Refinery will be available for use (By popular demand we took out refinery because most people felt that it was to easy for aliens, if you guys disagree please let me know)

- Due to the expected size of the tournament it will take place over two days, either Friday and Saturday or Saturday and Sunday. I would like some input on what days would be best. The first tournament we did at Reddit had 12 teams and took 7 hours to complete, although it was mostly due to disorganization.

Next up are the resources and tools I need to properly organize a tournament. Currently a close friend of mine, Mervill, is working on a website that will handle signing up and team creation. Although it is currently a work in progress the website can be viewed <a href="http://transistorcollective.net/dev/ns2/" target="_blank">here</a>. If you have an input or suggestions please share them with me, everything is a work in progress and I'm learning as I go.

Although I can organize the tournaments I still need servers that can be used for the duration of the tournament, and a teamspeak/mumble/another VOIP server. And this is where its really up to you guys if you want me to organize a tournament. The first tournament we ran at reddit had <a href="http://www.reddit.com/r/ns2pugs/comments/13cc2u/6v6_tournament_full_info/" target="_blank">12 teams of 6 which is 72</a> players and the one that we are about to run this weekend has <a href="http://www.reddit.com/r/ns2/comments/13w46s/reddit_inhouse_natural_selection_2_tournament/" target="_blank">8 teams of 6 which is 48 players</a>. There is a large crowd of players who want to play in casual and friendly tournaments but I don't quite have the resources necessary to run them.

What I need:
- Multiple servers, the more servers that are available the larger the tournament can be and the faster the tournaments will run.

- A VOIP server, although we can use the ingame VOIP it would be preferable to use a higher quality VOIP program like teamspeak or mumble

- Volunteers, I need referees, casters, and anyone who wants to help out.

<b>TL;DR: I'm trying to organize friendly tournaments for Natural Selection 2 but I need suggestions and input on how to run it, and I need servers from the community for the duration of the community.</b>

Comments

• Omega_K2Omega_K2 Join Date: 2011-12-25 Member: 139013Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Why do you want to do extra tournaments when we have ENSL which does the same and has working system and ruleset?
  • Old_GregOld_Greg Join Date: 2012-11-14 Member: 171023Members
    ENSL does a great job with the high end competitive tournaments and leagues, I'm aiming to create a tournament that aims for less competitive players or players who don't necessarily feel they are good enough to play in the ensl leagues. There are a lot of players out there who are looking for a way to get into the competitive scene but don't belong to a team, and its not easy to create or join a team.

This allows not only competitive players to get into a fun low-stress tournament and also allows casual players to get into the competitive scene. I know for a fact that one or two teams we had in our first tournament stuck around after the tournament and still play together as a team so it does help new players find teams to join.

If there is no interest then obviously I'll drop it, I just wanted to reach out and get some ideas, suggestions, and possibly have some server owners allow us to use their servers for a tournament.
  • swalkswalk Say hello to my little friend. Join Date: 2011-01-20 Member: 78384Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited December 2012
    I think these kind of tournaments are great.
    They help so many get into the competetive side of the game.
    These types of tournaments are not aimed at already formed teams, they grow teams.
    I don't think omega realizes this.

You can take a peek at our ruleset for the league on ENSL, I think that could be helpful for you.
  • fanaticfanatic This post has been edited. Join Date: 2003-07-23 Member: 18377Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    edited December 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2038579:date=Dec 2 2012, 01:52 AM:name=Omega_K2)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Omega_K2 @ Dec 2 2012, 01:52 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2038579"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Why do you want to do extra tournaments<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    ???

The more the merrier.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Depending on the dates/times, I'd be willing to help out (ref, cast, setup servers as needed). Team156 (my clan) has a few servers that you could use for the tourny (Michigan, Washington, Oregon, and Nevada soon). You could also talk to Tempest at NS2servers.com to see if he has any spare servers he'd let you use.

Otherwise, looking forward to this weekend and any future tournaments from you :)
  • ScrajmScrajm Join Date: 2011-10-17 Member: 127859Members
    I cant see anywhere if this is EU or NA (or AU). But anyways, these things are great. Im pretty sure I lend you both (EU) servers and a (EU) ts3.
  • BiteyBitey Join Date: 2012-05-06 Member: 151622Members, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester
    And I'm sure you could use the one of the Nexzil Privet US severs if needed too <3
  • Old_GregOld_Greg Join Date: 2012-11-14 Member: 171023Members
    edited December 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2038646:date=Dec 1 2012, 11:28 PM:name=ScardyBob)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ScardyBob @ Dec 1 2012, 11:28 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2038646"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Depending on the dates/times, I'd be willing to help out (ref, cast, setup servers as needed). Team156 (my clan) has a few servers that you could use for the tourny (Michigan, Washington, Oregon, and Nevada soon). You could also talk to Tempest at NS2servers.com to see if he has any spare servers he'd let you use.

Otherwise, looking forward to this weekend and any future tournaments from you :)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That would be awesome! Like I said in the OP the size of the tournament is really limited by the servers we have available, from what I saw from the reddit tournaments there is plenty of interest from the players in tournaments like these. I may PM you in the future to talk to you some more. I really appreciate the support!

<!--quoteo(post=2038698:date=Dec 2 2012, 04:51 AM:name=Scrajm)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Scrajm @ Dec 2 2012, 04:51 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2038698"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I cant see anywhere if this is EU or NA (or AU). But anyways, these things are great. Im pretty sure I lend you both (EU) servers and a (EU) ts3.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

We could do separate tournaments for both! It all depends on where we have servers available and if we can get enough players in the EU (Which I have no doubt we can).

<!--quoteo(post=2038749:date=Dec 2 2012, 08:08 AM:name=Bitey)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bitey @ Dec 2 2012, 08:08 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2038749"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->And I'm sure you could use the one of the Nexzil Privet US severs if needed too <3<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Who should I get into contact with that owns the Nexzil private servers?
  • bLink`bLink` Join Date: 2012-02-18 Member: 146506Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited December 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2038883:date=Dec 2 2012, 02:24 PM:name=Old_Greg)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Old_Greg @ Dec 2 2012, 02:24 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2038883"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Who should I get into contact with that owns the Nexzil private servers?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Anyone from nexzil that has authority for setting up the server(s). You can contact Bitey/Locklear/blink/virsoul :D
  • blindblind Join Date: 2010-04-17 Member: 71437Members, Squad Five Gold
    I can help you cast / livestream if you want.
  • ArgathorArgathor Join Date: 2011-07-18 Member: 110942Members, Squad Five Blue