F4: Why don't pubbers know how to concede defeat?

godriflegodrifle Join Date: 2006-12-01 Member: 58815Members
There seems to be a disconnect from forum-goers that understand when an F4 is needed, and the pub players that want to stay until the very bitter end. I've been shouted at and called a retard for recycling. Hitting F4 or recycling is an accepted practice, especially in this game when a team can be deadlocked into one or two rooms, and stay that way for the next ten minutes. Not everyone has time to game; and the best part of the game is when there is exciting conflict, so starting a fresh round is in everyone's best interests (imo).

Should people be angry when a game is won/lost due to F4 conditions?
Is there a delicate way to allow the community to accept the practice of giving up, in the interest of time?
How do you feel about games that are F4'd?

Comments

• LofungLofung Join Date: 2004-08-21 Member: 30757Members
    admit it: you are one of those retards
  • RedSwordRedSword Join Date: 2006-12-07 Member: 58947Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    <!--quoteo(post=2037661:date=Nov 30 2012, 03:47 AM:name=Lofung)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Lofung @ Nov 30 2012, 03:47 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2037661"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->admit it: you are one of those retards<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I am !

When you feel like you played like ###### the whole game, and that you're first of the team, this makes me mad.

As marine, people that doesn't understand how JP are useful for chasing onos, or retreating ; or people that waste their shotguns/GL going way too far alone, people that can't even try to kill a lerk (its so weak ! likes when a single one enter and you do half the damage by the way it goes out, and 5 to 10 of your teamates are beside you) makes me mad.

As aliens, people camping and not being agressive denying RT's makes me mad.

Oh boy...

But the "pub players" aren't the only one staying. Sometimes these other people are good and makes you feel that if the rest of your team wasn't that r* you could revert how the game goes easily.

There should be a vote, that would prevent a 12v8-because-some-quit-and-other-stays. Like a voterecycle. (There might be a plugin that exist; but that section in forum is so poorly done that it's not appealing to learn).
  • HazeHaze O RLY? Join Date: 2003-07-07 Member: 18018Members, Constellation
    edited November 2012
    Communication is key. I usually talk with my team about F4ing to see what they think. If most of them want to stay I don't force it on them and ride out the game some more, then pop the question again 5 to 15 minutes later, depending on how the game progresses.
  • m0rdm0rd Join Date: 2012-11-26 Member: 173223Members
    If the team is in a bad state and agrees to recycle/F4, then that's okay. But when it's just one guy called it out "F4 EVERYONE THIS IS OVER" just because they failed a Hive push on the first try (seen this happen three times now) then it's just stupid. It's not as if anything is at stake, it's just pub play, and sometimes it's better to be playing the underdog when it feels so much more satisfying making that comeback.

I was Commanding an Alien 7v7 pub the other night when it happened to me. We were on Tram starting in Sub and put up a Hive in repair. We held off a Marine push on Repair but they ended up being the stronger side (they were pushing from their main Warehouse base IIRC) and ended up taking control of it. Immediately we had a dude calling to F4, I said we're still good as we had Ele Transfer free and enough res to recover. He didn't care and F4'd, and 2 others followed him (I didn't realize this at the time, I thought it was just him). We ended up holding Ele and ninja'd Repair back, but unfortunately due to the game being 4v7 we didn't have enough manpower to hold the hives.

So in the space of about 8-10 minutes while these guys were sitting in the Ready Room, we put up another 2 Hives with 3 players down and managed to hold out for a while. I'd imagine the game would have ended a little differently had the team held up as 7v7...
  • hakenspithakenspit Join Date: 2010-11-26 Member: 75300Members
    edited November 2012
    People f4 too quickly and actually draw games out longer due to the autobalance kicking in (denying other team ability to respawn and assist in ending the game).
    f4'ing is not the solution, having aliens with some actual finishers would help (still stupidly easy to turtle last tech point as marines).
    Either that or for the love of god count people in ready room as still being on the team they last left, they are leaving as they believe the game is over...we dont need to try to balance team numbers when one side is f4'ing (could be left with a 1 v 3 game on a 24 player server) we need to allow the game to finish.
    Seeing as people often wont play out games we should not gimp the winning side due to one side trying to concede.

I have mentioned this ready room idea since the autobalance was first brought in...still we have not had any changes to how autobalance works.
    I see it cropping up every 5-6 games I play (might have something to do with me...but game design has to contribute too) where one side leaves as they are losing, not everyone leaves and some of the winning team who died in the final assault now have prolonged spawn time waits....this needs addressing.
  • SavantSavant Join Date: 2002-11-30 Member: 10289Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    The problem isn't that people do or don't hit F4. The problem is that the game can reach a point where there is no hope for one team to win, and so they sit around waiting for it to be over.
  • HazeHaze O RLY? Join Date: 2003-07-07 Member: 18018Members, Constellation
    F4ing is the equivalent of GG'ing in SC2...just a vote this time.
  • HeatSurgeHeatSurge Some Guy Join Date: 2012-09-15 Member: 159438Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    I think F4 in the absence of a surrender vote is excellent, because it allows you to play games instead of participate in stomps sometimes lasting 20+ minutes.

Expect to be kicked by admins if you do it though. I guess a lot of people who play this like wasting time?
  • d0ped0gd0ped0g Join Date: 2003-05-25 Member: 16679Members
    Personally, I don't like f4ing. I subscribe to the pigheaded belief that a game isn't over till the fat lady sings, and that at any point smart tactics and even better execution can win the game in a losing scenario (although admittedly, usually this is paired with the other team making a drastic oversight).

Besides, if the game really is over, I don't like robbing the other team of striking the finishing blow. It just seems anticlimactic. And although stalemates do exist, if it's taking the winning team too long to finish, chances are, there's enough wiggle room for the losing team to do something to do something to turn the tables (i.e. if they can't work out how to finish, then they are beatable).

I would like the ability added to 'concede defeat', if it were brought to a majority vote. That way if the majority want to concede, they can without the minority who don't want to concede ruining it for them. And if the majority don't want to concede, they can still keep playing without the minority who do want to concede ruining it for them. The current problem with the f4 system of conceding is that the minority ruin it for the majority.
  • flyjumflyjum Join Date: 2012-01-07 Member: 139849Members
    An admin said he was going to kick me today if I recycle the IPs on a lost game
    Game was past being lost...
    We lost main base and aliens had entire map
    All we had was 2 ips and a armory in on our second base
    I asked him why waste 15 more mins of everyones time when the game is lost for sure?
    All he said is rules are rules or something to that extant
    I thought recycling or GGing was the good mannered thing to do guess not...
    As far as f4ing goes I rarely do it and only if someone else already has

On a side note I am not one to give up on a game
    If we have even a 1% chance to win or something like 2 RTs up and the other team have the rest of the map I fight on
    But once the marines are confined to ONLY their base with no tech I dont see the point of wasting peoples time
  • OnosFactoryOnosFactory New Zealand Join Date: 2008-07-16 Member: 64637Members
    Or the admins don't want you taking up a slot whilst waiting in the RR for another 10 mins whilst the game continues.
  • NeoRussiaNeoRussia Join Date: 2012-08-04 Member: 154743Members
    the chance of having an entire team F4 is so slim it's not worth doing it. Time to install NS2 stats plugin with the vote-surrender option.
  • SentrySteveSentrySteve .txt Join Date: 2002-03-09 Member: 290Members, Constellation
    Short of a concede feature, I think the NS2's designs should allow for an overwhelming force to be continually thrown at other team once a victor is clear.

See <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=125359" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...howtopic=125359</a> , which coincidentally, I just posted a few days ago.
  • ImbalanxdImbalanxd Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104581Members
    Players will leave the game, by quitting or F4, when they are no longer having fun. If they are still in the game, they are still having fun.
  • GuspazGuspaz Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2862Members, Constellation
    If you F4, and your team doesn't agree with you, it affects only you. If you recycle the base and your team doesn't agree with you, you're a griefer who deserves a ban.

You see the difference, right?
  • RedSwordRedSword Join Date: 2006-12-07 Member: 58947Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    For people considering any game can we won in every scenario as long as you have not won, please try considering being the only last player alive marine as an exo against 4 hive aliens and 4+ onos, where your base power is down and no one can respawn. Have fun.
  • SwiftspearSwiftspear Custim tital Join Date: 2003-10-29 Member: 22097Members
    If enough of the team F4's the game automatically ends... However, in most cases I don't think you should be voting with your F4 button. If there's a good chunk of the team that really wants to play it through, then I'll play it through with them. However, I ask. If I feel the game is over, I don't particularly want to continue camping in base, I'll ask the team if they want to recycle, I'll ask the team if they want to F4. Chances are, if they're busy playing extra intensely to try to come back from a silly game, they won't notice if you silently F4 anyways.

I REALLY REALLY hate server admins who are jerks about letting a team that wants to concede concede. I'm with the server admins who will ban for recycling irregardless of the desire of the team to continue, but if the comm asks if the team wants to recycle, and no one at all objects, then I think it's the RIGHT thing for them to go through with it, rather than wasting everyone else's time.
  • d0ped0gd0ped0g Join Date: 2003-05-25 Member: 16679Members
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2037717:date=Nov 30 2012, 12:37 AM:name=RedSword)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RedSword @ Nov 30 2012, 12:37 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2037717"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->For people considering any game can we won in every scenario as long as you have not won, please try considering being the only last player alive marine as an exo against 4 hive aliens and 4+ onos, where your base power is down and no one can respawn. Have fun.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The game can be finished so quickly under this scenario it doesn't even matter.

We're talking about people refusing to f4 prolonging the game. A lone exosuit that can be dispatched of quickly doesn't prolong the game. Or just, kill the command chair and win? Not sure how this relates to the discussion beyond the fact that: yes there does exist a condition where it's completely impossible to win, apart from if the opposing team does absolutely nothing.
  • ImbalanxdImbalanxd Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104581Members
    In my opinion, a player should not be allowed to F4 unless:
    1. The player is on a team with 2+ more players than the opposing team
    2. 50% or more of the players team are currently trying to return to the ready room
  • TechercizerTechercizer 7th Player Join Date: 2011-06-11 Member: 103832Members
    I play NS2 to have fun, not rack up notches on my belt. Winning is always great, but losing games are fun to play too; I might as well not have F4 bound to anything.
  • HeatSurgeHeatSurge Some Guy Join Date: 2012-09-15 Member: 159438Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Losing close games is fun, but marines on 3 RTs or less for 20 minutes against sieging oni isn't, especially if they don't even have 2 TPs.
  • Hunter.S.T.Hunter.S.T. Join Date: 2012-05-26 Member: 152596Members
    just say on the mike "hey guys, i think maybe its time to gg and f4"

If you still want to leave the game, there is alwlays another server.

When i comm on pubs to warm up, i find the biggest challange is trying to get jetpacks out before the aliens f4.
  • CaptnRussiaCaptnRussia Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164462Members
    I always concede defeat in a lost game but I am never willing to a) rob one team of a well deserved trounce of our sorry backsides and b) f4 because all seems lost. I have been in a game where we as aliens were down to our last hive and this had not been and epic push and pull game mind you, more of a marine domination but I digress. Anyway down to our last hive we pubbies held off a well supported and executed exo-suit push into our last hive at atrium as skulks, one gorge and one lerk. We held on till we turned them back and proceeded to retake crossroads for a second hive and heavily dented the marine economy. We were eventually purged but had we f4'd as so many people say we should have we collectively as players would have missed out on some excelllent gameplay. As far as this issue is concerned I think f4 should only be allowed if you are going to balance the teams. In other words make f4 a team-swap once the game starts so we no longer just wuss out because all seems lost. It would also help you balance faster instead of going to rr and then the team.
  • TalesinTalesin Our own little well of hate Join Date: 2002-11-08 Member: 7710NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators
    I tend to play the game out to the end.
    I remember the glory days of NS 1.02, when a single Gorge had a chance at ninja'ing up an unattended Hive (before the ping of death was implemented) after going down to zero-hives. More often than not, the element of surprise was enough to come back out swinging, and even turn it around for a win (I still remember the two instances where I was that Gorge, and hearing people screaming 'HOLY **** WE'RE SPAWNING!!!' over voicecomm and the resulting cheers).

Fast forward to NS2.
    Hard-fought map, playing as Marines. We're starting to lose some ground, but still 100% viable.
    Commander jumps out to build something at base. Random 'come on guys F4' bro sees this, jumps in the chair, recycles EVERYTHING. Refuses to log out and lets the Kharaa know via global chat that the base is undefended, with only 4/7 alive.

I seriously cannot say this clearly enough. If you recycle to force a round-end? <b>**** YOU</b>.
  • intellixintellix Join Date: 2008-03-24 Member: 63950Members
    edited November 2012
    In my opinion... <b>please leave the server you silly beans</b>. If you're going to sit in ready room then <b>bugger</b> off. <!--coloro:#FF8C00--><span style="color:#FF8C00"><!--/coloro--><sup>*FTFY, be nicer please. - Angelusz*</sup><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
    There should be like, 1 minute chance to pick team and then you're booted.
    When a server allows 16 players, it should be 16 players IN PLAY. Other players should be able to join and get on a side.

It sucks so bad when you're on the winning team and you're really contributing and holding off an RT, taking them out and then the game just 'ends', making me feel like I wasted my time when I could have gone on a kill-spree
  • sumguy720sumguy720 Join Date: 2011-02-09 Member: 81101Members
    Like Techerciser said, I like playing NS2 whether I'm winning or losing. If everyone on my team RRs it just makes it harder to stay alive, and when the commander recycles the infantry portals it forces me to stop playing which is infuriating.
    I paid for NS2 to play games, not to win games or lose games, or to sulk over in a corner about how I'm just wasting time playing if I'm not going to win. I'm not a very good player so I tend to be on a losing team a lot. If I don't even get a chance to finish out the round it's robbing me of my game experience.

I just want to shoot things and bite things. If we're losing there's just a lot more opportunity to do so.
  • MaximumSquidMaximumSquid Join Date: 2010-07-20 Member: 72593Members
    <u><b>godrifle:</b></u>

Sometimes last stands are fun. . .

Knowing this your thread is like reading "I can't believe other people want to have fun when I'm not!"
  • VeNeMVeNeM Join Date: 2002-07-13 Member: 928Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2037659:date=Nov 29 2012, 10:43 PM:name=godrifle)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (godrifle @ Nov 29 2012, 10:43 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2037659"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->There seems to be a disconnect from forum-goers that understand when an F4 is needed, and the pub players that want to stay until the very bitter end. I've been shouted at and called a retard for recycling. Hitting F4 or recycling is an accepted practice, especially in this game when a team can be deadlocked into one or two rooms, and stay that way for the next ten minutes. Not everyone has time to game; and the best part of the game is when there is exciting conflict, so starting a fresh round is in everyone's best interests (imo).

Should people be angry when a game is won/lost due to F4 conditions?
    Is there a delicate way to allow the community to accept the practice of giving up, in the interest of time?
    How do you feel about games that are F4'd?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    never give up NEVER SURRENDER!
  • current1yoldcurrent1yold Join Date: 2012-09-10 Member: 158911Members
    If your not a comm you F4 you are choosing for yourself. As comm if you recycle you are choosing to f4 for every one. You should NEVER recycle without talking about it first with your team.

Also I have noticed more and more people F4ing. A simple (just f4 team) in text or voice goes along way in getting people to follow.
  • SwiftspearSwiftspear Custim tital Join Date: 2003-10-29 Member: 22097Members
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2037802:date=Nov 30 2012, 06:09 AM:name=Talesin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Talesin @ Nov 30 2012, 06:09 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2037802"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I tend to play the game out to the end.
    I remember the glory days of NS 1.02, when a single Gorge had a chance at ninja'ing up an unattended Hive (before the ping of death was implemented) after going down to zero-hives. More often than not, the element of surprise was enough to come back out swinging, and even turn it around for a win (I still remember the two instances where I was that Gorge, and hearing people screaming 'HOLY **** WE'RE SPAWNING!!!' over voicecomm and the resulting cheers).

Fast forward to NS2.
    Hard-fought map, playing as Marines. We're starting to lose some ground, but still 100% viable.
    Commander jumps out to build something at base. Random 'come on guys F4' bro sees this, jumps in the chair, recycles EVERYTHING. Refuses to log out and lets the Kharaa know via global chat that the base is undefended, with only 4/7 alive.

I seriously cannot say this clearly enough. If you recycle to force a round-end? <b>**** YOU</b>.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    That would happen in NS1 too. Although I guess it would be more common in the later stages of the game's lifespan. They're some really cynical players out there these days... They're not all terrible people, but from time to time something like this really does leave a really sour taste in your mouth.

I really can't blame any server admin for banning someone for refusing to be diplomatic about conceding the game. I feel it can sometimes go the other way too however. After a particularly frustrating series of events there are times when the team really just wants to start fresh, and one or two guys really making a stink about their lost honor can come off as really [water based tool for cleaning of private parts]y.