Ambient Sound

WellWell Join Date: 2006-10-04 Member: 58054Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
Hi all.
Can i turn off Ambient Sound on client side?
Can i do it by mod or need something else?
Thanks.

Comments

• DghelneshiDghelneshi Aims to surpass Fana in post edits. Join Date: 2011-11-01 Member: 130634Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    Guys, will you please stop requesting mods for stuff so you can cheat? IT'S NOT POSSIBLE.
  • WellWell Join Date: 2006-10-04 Member: 58054Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    What modifications are allowed? Skinning? Mapping?
    Why i cannot turn off some sound on client side? Where cheating here? With ambient sound i cannot hear marine or skulk.
    Why not?
  • goblingoblin Join Date: 2004-09-05 Member: 31412Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2035652:date=Nov 27 2012, 05:50 AM:name=Well)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Well @ Nov 27 2012, 05:50 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2035652"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What modifications are allowed? Skinning? Mapping?
    Why i cannot turn off some sound on client side? Where cheating here? With ambient sound i cannot hear marine or skulk.
    Why not?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immersion_%28virtual_reality%29" target="_blank">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immersion_%28virtual_reality%29</a>
  • DghelneshiDghelneshi Aims to surpass Fana in post edits. Join Date: 2011-11-01 Member: 130634Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2035652:date=Nov 27 2012, 08:50 AM:name=Well)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Well @ Nov 27 2012, 08:50 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2035652"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What modifications are allowed? Skinning? Mapping?
    Why not?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yeah and in some dark corners I cannot see the aliens so well. Guess I'll have to change the render mode to ignore lights right?

Edit: To clarify, I would not be against putting an ambient volume slider into the menu officially. It's just that you cannot allow any game code changes at all as a client side mod for very obvious reasons, but I still see a mod request for stuff like that every few days.
  • Jarl Ballin'Jarl Ballin' Join Date: 2012-11-25 Member: 173203Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2035936:date=Nov 27 2012, 12:03 PM:name=Dghelneshi)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dghelneshi @ Nov 27 2012, 12:03 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2035936"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yeah and in some dark corners I cannot see the aliens so well. Guess I'll have to change the render mode to ignore lights right?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You can do it in Counter-Strike.
  • WellWell Join Date: 2006-10-04 Member: 58054Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2035936:date=Nov 28 2012, 12:03 AM:name=Dghelneshi)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dghelneshi @ Nov 28 2012, 12:03 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2035936"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yeah and in some dark corners I cannot see the aliens so well. Guess I'll have to change the render mode to ignore lights right?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<a href="http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=109537600&searchtext=" target="_blank">http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/file...amp;searchtext=</a>

P.S.: All skinning mod can do it. May be need ban all skin mod?
  • NasderoNasdero Join Date: 2008-11-11 Member: 65423Members
    guys get some skill, i dont use any mods that give me benefits and i frag at least 20 kills per round. GET SKILL!

and comparing CS to NS2 is really cheap! they are both totally different and in CS everything is about speed in ns its about tactics and skill, grab a shotgun lern how to fight close quaters with it and the skulks hiding in the dark are no problem

besides in the alien commander researches silence your trick will fail
    <!--quoteo(post=2036427:date=Nov 28 2012, 11:30 AM:name=Well)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Well @ Nov 28 2012, 11:30 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2036427"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><a href="http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=109537600&searchtext=" target="_blank">http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/file...amp;searchtext=</a>

P.S.: All skinning mod can do it. May be need ban all skin mod?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    This is not intended to work. I know that currently there are a lot of client side mods that still work, but they are definitely not intended to and stuff like that will be fixed (hopefully soon).

NS2 is not intended to be Quake where you can picmip and brightskin (disclaimer: I love Quake!).
    <!--quoteo(post=2036846:date=Nov 29 2012, 04:32 AM:name=Dghelneshi)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dghelneshi @ Nov 29 2012, 04:32 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2036846"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This is not intended to work. I know that currently there are a lot of client side mods that still work, but they are definitely not intended to and stuff like that will be fixed (hopefully soon).

NS2 is not intended to be Quake where you can picmip and brightskin (disclaimer: I love Quake!).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I want to hear what I want to hear. I not need any, or other modifications. I'm not asking to make an addon to hear a skulk through the map. I just not want to hear the noise of the fans, the release of steam, wind noise and etc.
    And you begin to discuss here the playing skills, highlighting the game objects. That's what this is all about?
  • Jarl Ballin'Jarl Ballin' Join Date: 2012-11-25 Member: 173203Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2036846:date=Nov 28 2012, 04:32 PM:name=Dghelneshi)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dghelneshi @ Nov 28 2012, 04:32 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2036846"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This is not intended to work. I know that currently there are a lot of client side mods that still work, but they are definitely not intended to and stuff like that will be fixed (hopefully soon).

NS2 is not intended to be Quake where you can picmip and brightskin (disclaimer: I love Quake!).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You can picmip with Radeon Pro using the drivers externally regardless of whether the game allows it. People have been using bright skins to see people better. Messing with drivers, gamma, and brightness. Client variables have been doing this for ages in multiplayer games and even are competitively revered. It's not cheating.
    edited November 2012
    If you guys would actually care to read what I write...

@Jarl Ballin':The consistency checks are not fully implemented yet. It has been stated by the developers (and any sane person wouldn't even think twice about this) that texture files not being checked is NOT INTENDED. Brightskins are definitely not intended to be part of regular play.
    Regardless, my original remark was targeted at code modifications. You cannot allow client side code modifications since this will obviously invite aimbotters and other hackers to go at it (with very little amounts of work needed). I was mildly aggravated by the fact that numerous threads have been popping up here of people requesting modifications to the game in ways which would give them an advantage over other players.

@Well: As I told you, it's not possible regardless of what you might want.