Gorge structures allotmetn increased by hives

AzaralAzaral Join Date: 2012-11-19 Member: 172408Members
What is thought about allowing the gorge to build 3x hydras per hive and 10x clogs per hive? Is that too much? Just a thought I had and thought I would share.

Comments

• DawormDaworm Join Date: 2009-06-22 Member: 67900Members
    Too much.

Can you imagine 5 players who gorge up to drop 3x hydra's each and 10x clogs each....

Then at next hive, you have another 75 entities placed by those 5 gorges... and at 3rd hive, well you get the point.
    It would put a higher load again on top of already stressed servers at times.

I've lost count of the times that as commander, I've reached max entity count in an area... hard to do, but annoying when you do as you cannot recycle as Alien. :(
  • AzaralAzaral Join Date: 2012-11-19 Member: 172408Members
    Ah, wasn't aware of a max entity limit. I was thinking myself it would probably be too much.
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    3+1xhivenum = better, methinks. people complained about the 10 res hydras (for good reason, at the time, given performance..), which is a system most people would rather have, but having 6 hydras cos you have 4 hives would be nice, something to spend time on, you know...
  • AzaralAzaral Join Date: 2012-11-19 Member: 172408Members
    Or maybe stronger hydras and clogs. More hp for both and more damage/faster attack rate for hydras.

I still miss gorges being the building builder instead of a commander unit. I thought that was one thing that really made NS stand out from RTS game and it really really gave the two teams a major difference of style.
  • ToastieToastie Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167351Members
    I'm pretty sure this would break the game... LET'S DO IT!
  • DestroidDestroid Join Date: 2011-10-25 Member: 129240Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2035876:date=Nov 28 2012, 04:08 AM:name=Toastie)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Toastie @ Nov 28 2012, 04:08 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2035876"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm pretty sure this would break the game... LET'S DO IT!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The only way hydras could break the game is with lag, they are pathetically weak except when being babysat by a gorge.
  • ViglanteViglante Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168608Members
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2036509:date=Nov 28 2012, 02:48 PM:name=Destroid)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Destroid @ Nov 28 2012, 02:48 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2036509"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The only way hydras could break the game is with lag, they are pathetically weak except when being babysat by a gorge.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

or placed in annoying positions in ceilings far enough back in the hive that when the hydras are attacking there are other things the rines prioritise first meaning the hydras did damg lowering the bites the aliens needed to get the kils and not jsut disapearing in a lmg clip as rines got other things to shoot first, roms with high ceilings ( if you clog tower yourself up first) work really well for this as a rine looking up misses the skulk rush at his feet.

however having 2 + 1 per hive as your max for hydras and 7 +"3 per hive" for clogs would be a nice change and encourage you to try and stay alive if a hive is growing as a gorg so we end up with more early gorges in matches.
  • twilitebluetwiliteblue bug stalker Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13116Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited November 2012
    I wish you have seen lag free 50v50 epic sentry vs hydra battles. I'm all for some type of scaling of gorge structures based on hive count.
  • LilbitHeartlessLilbitHeartless Join Date: 2012-11-19 Member: 172517Members
    Would be nice if strength was increased a bit with each hive, I agree that it can suck to have used your clogs and hydras up in one area that is now on the other side of the map and completely ignored. Or knowing you used up your allotment and can't use anything to protect one hive without taking away protection from another hive.

Would be nice if something could be done about it, unless the game makers goal is to have a gorge tied to their certain area.
  • enhaxedenhaxed Join Date: 2011-01-03 Member: 76135Members
    edited November 2012
    I would love to see gorges allowed to drop even one of the buff chambers per hive ie crag, shade or shift, it would give those early hydras a little bit more survivability and bring back the gorge ambush as a more common tactic.

That shouldn't create untold amounts of entities unless the whole team goes gorge and that's pretty uncommon. When a large number do it's usually for a specific purpose like a bile-bomb rush.

I do remember in NS1 that it was possible to completely fill every nook and crevice of a map with structures bringing the server almost to a standstill and some kind of limit needed to be added in NS2 to prevent similar problems. Maybe when UWE has addressed some of the performance issues they will give gorges back some dignity ;)
  • HazeHaze O RLY? Join Date: 2003-07-07 Member: 18018Members, Constellation
    edited November 2012
    Posted this before -- <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=124580&st=0&p=2024887&#entry2024887" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...p;#entry2024887</a>

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I see some dismissive attitudes towards Hydras and Clogs by players all the time, so I think we can all agree that no one is worried about them becoming a balancing issue any time soon. I do so love building my little gorge forts in very bold forward positions just as the match starts. But there is one giant problem -- when I move, my wall usually ends up coming with me.

Why? I was under the impression most people scoffed at the idea of gorges putting effort into building structures and trying to hold off a decent marine push. It was "cute". So why do I feel so restricted in plugging up the map?

<u>Here is my suggestion</u> -- allow Gorge players to upgrade their arsenal for 10 res a pop twice over for another set of 10 clogs and 3 Hydras on top of what they already have (so their max would go up to 6 Hydras, 20 Clogs at tier 2, then 9 & 30 as the final tier 3 upgrade). Maybe the tier upgrades could be tied to the number of hives out, or it could be something the commander researches himself for his Gorges. <b>At any rate I just want to build more stuff in more places,</b> and having to move a critical fortress or be tied to one by the ankle for the entire game is the only thing stopping me from enjoying Gorge to the fullest.

Please?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

GL's make short work of clogs and hydras, I wouldn't be too worried about ultra spam. All this change means is that you would see x6 hydras and x20 clogs gorges most of the time. I rarely see 3 hives up in a situation that already hasn't been decided, but given the nature of a 3 hive slug fest game, giving gorges 9 hydras to try and hold off an end game totally tech'd out push isn't far fetched or unfair sounding to me either.
  • LilbitHeartlessLilbitHeartless Join Date: 2012-11-19 Member: 172517Members
    or perhaps even give the gorge a chance to upgrade their hydras, or give them the option to put down better hydras (so you would have to use say 4 res to put down a hydra and if you already had some one of them would die like normal).
    heck maybe even link what the hydra is like to what the hive is upgraded to. say you could upgrade the hydra to shoot a lil faster, or have more life, or cloak. So if you knew you would be around to defend it you could have a hydra that attack better, but if you know you won't be near you could give it more armor.

seems a bit too complicated but right now hydras seem pretty lame for 3 Pres each.

Could do the same for clogs, maybe could upgrade with res to get spikey clogs or whatever. Heck, make them sticky so marines that come in contact slow... guess that's like the old webs?