Not seeing servers

bEEbbEEb Join Date: 2012-03-24 Member: 149317Members, NS2 Map Tester
Well....looks like this problems back. I have everything unticked and ping set to unlimited and performance to 0% and still no servers show up.

Anyone have a fix? Verifying cache didn't help.

Comments

• phoenixbbsphoenixbbs Join Date: 2003-02-10 Member: 13379Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Subnautica Playtester
    Did you have the beta option flagged for the game ? - if so, it'll only see a very small number of servers, the majority of which have no players...

The server browser seems to have problems getting the info from Steam in a reasonable timeframe, and I think Steam's to blame for this, not NS2 itself. It can take a while to populate, sometimes several minutes unfortunately, so it's not always clear it's doing anything, even though it is (it's waiting for data from Steam)

It's also been reported that changing the "MaxPing" setting to 500 in your Steam settings can sometimes help, but I think this might be related to hardware issues - some routers keel over if they've got a lot of packets to sort out in a short period of time.
  • QlimaxQlimax Join Date: 2012-11-24 Member: 173087Members
    I have the same problem as the OP, has happened to me before the 232 patch but never for this long, it's been about three days now, oh and the server browser does show my favorited server but nothing else. I've tried the ''make a local server'' solution but it doesn't help, i can still join games just have to use site like Nanogrid etc. I also don't have a thomson router which i noticed caused problems for certain players.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    be sure that your filters dont have an empty space in them.. i.e. a tap of the spacebar in the map filter field will hide every single server. 0.0 ... its reported dont worry.

How long have you waited for the server browser to update once clicking the button?
  • bEEbbEEb Join Date: 2012-03-24 Member: 149317Members, NS2 Map Tester
    Err well it turns out that the reason no servers were showing was because I had entered a comma into the "Game" filter. I couldnt see it...

Derp.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    :-D
    Reported the space bar issue but didnt think about the comma.
  • QlimaxQlimax Join Date: 2012-11-24 Member: 173087Members
    Made another post about this here <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=122598&st=80" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...22598&st=80</a>

@Ironehorse I've heard that some people waited 10-15 min and it'd show i had mine open for more than an hour after clicking the update button.
  • rudyeckertrudyeckert Join Date: 2012-11-27 Member: 173444Members
    Ok I have been playing this game and loving it for weeks. I love it so much i decided i wanted to start recording my games. I bought and installed Fraps and now i cant see server list!!!!!!! I even turn off fraps and the problem is still there! Either i have run into a huge coincidence or this has something to do with incombatibility with fraps

pentium i7
    windows 7
    geforce ti550
    12g ram
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES&#33; FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS&#33; Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    edited November 2012
    sometimes when servers DO popup, i click on them and i can't join them, because the server disappears from the list, i click on another, and another, and another, until they are all gone! i can't take it anymore, i can only join servers my friends are on, and most cases i have to wait 10+ minutes for a space to open up (ragers at endgame etc)! Want Fix Nao!

Also this has nothing to do with the rumoured fraps compatibility issues, i always have fraps turned off unless i really want to record something OR want to see my fps, but thats only after a patch, or when i upgrade my pc.
  • SjNSjN Join Date: 2003-01-07 Member: 11983Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    What do you mean fraps rumour? If you know of a solution to the fraps problem i have described plz post it so i may try it... I have not seen anything yet.
  • DisconnectDisconnect Join Date: 2012-11-27 Member: 173446Members
    Having the same problem. Not running fraps or anything like that, whatever that has to do with it. Restarted steam etc, verified files, still can't see jack.
  • PHJFPHJF Join Date: 2005-07-13 Member: 55898Members
    Steam went down for like 10 minutes. NS2 is tied to Steam.

Problem is when Steam comes back up NS2 DOESN'T. Design/server flaw at UWE.
  • daveyjdaveyj Join Date: 2012-11-13 Member: 170721Members
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2036085:date=Nov 27 2012, 05:47 PM:name=AuroN2)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (AuroN2 @ Nov 27 2012, 05:47 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2036085"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->sometimes when servers DO popup, i click on them and i can't join them, because the server disappears from the list, i click on another, and another, and another, until they are all gone! i can't take it anymore, i can only join servers my friends are on, and most cases i have to wait 10+ minutes for a space to open up (ragers at endgame etc)! Want Fix Nao!

Also this has nothing to do with the rumoured fraps compatibility issues, i always have fraps turned off unless i really want to record something OR want to see my fps, but thats only after a patch, or when i upgrade my pc.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Try raising your acceptable ping threshold. I've noticed the ping times to almost all servers fluctuate quite a bit. One second it will be at 60ms, the next 110ms...then 62ms etc. When the game initially lists the servers they probably meet your current search criteria. Once you click a server however it will update that specific one and due to the wild fluctuations its probably went over your threshold and disappears.

On another note, I've had a blank server list for an hour now with the in-game browser and another I found made by xmt on the forums.
  • DisconnectDisconnect Join Date: 2012-11-27 Member: 173446Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2036109:date=Nov 28 2012, 01:07 AM:name=PHJF)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PHJF @ Nov 28 2012, 01:07 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2036109"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Steam went down for like 10 minutes. NS2 is tied to Steam.

Problem is when Steam comes back up NS2 DOESN'T. Design/server flaw at UWE.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Ah, I see. Glad to hear it isn't something obscure at my end. Had enough problems already.
  • MunchySnacks1MunchySnacks1 Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164609Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2036114:date=Nov 27 2012, 07:10 PM:name=Disconnect)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Disconnect @ Nov 27 2012, 07:10 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2036114"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Ah, I see. Glad to hear it isn't something obscure at my end. Had enough problems already.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Steam just came back up for me hopefully i can play again.
  • pittlerGGpittlerGG Join Date: 2012-11-12 Member: 169896Members
    I really would like to play the game right now, but can't because server list is empty.
    I still cant go in... really would be a huge coincidence if thats the case..... I played a game, installed fraps, launched ns2 and no servers
  • joohoo_n3djoohoo_n3d Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164703Members, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Supporter
    no servers.
    verified cache.
    opted in to beta - no servers.
    opted out of beta - no servers.
    do i seriously need to reinstall?
  • ZEROibisZEROibis Join Date: 2009-10-30 Member: 69176Members, Constellation
    There appears to be an issue with the mater server list connecting directly to servers in console works. For example in console enter: connect ns2.ibisgaming.com

You will connect as normal. Thus the issue is with the server listing and will hopefully be fixed soon.
    zeoibis thank you for your reply however im not that comp savvy... dont know what console is
    You press ~ to open it, it is like a DOS prompt.

Also the server is full now so if you get kicked it is b/c you do not have a reserved slot just an FYI to everyone.
    Thank you! it does hower say unable to establish connection with server, hopefully this is just because it is full.... is there a way to pull up my server history so I can find one i play regularly?
    <!--quoteo(post=2036168:date=Nov 27 2012, 08:15 PM:name=rudyeckert)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rudyeckert @ Nov 27 2012, 08:15 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2036168"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Thank you! it does hower say unable to establish connection with server, hopefully this is just because it is full.... is there a way to pull up my server history so I can find one i play regularly?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Unfortunately, there is no server history and if there was it would be broken right now.

When it kicks for reserved slot it should give you a message in console saying that but there is currently constancy people trying to get in and jamming it up.
    ok so at this point i can rule out the fact that i just installed fraps as a coincidence and not the reason I cannot play.... thats cool i would really like to start recording my games
    also is there a place to find current us servers?
    servers are back up!
    I am still not seeing servers list.
  • kk20kk20 Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164592Members
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2036173:date=Nov 27 2012, 05:20 PM:name=rudyeckert)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rudyeckert @ Nov 27 2012, 05:20 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2036173"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->ok so at this point i can rule out the fact that i just installed fraps as a coincidence and not the reason I cannot play.... thats cool i would really like to start recording my games<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Valve likes to make "planned" maintenance of their steam servers at unspecified times, which means you won't be able to join or create an NS2 server while their servers are down (NS2 requires Steam authentication before you can join or create a server).

Also, having used Fraps to record NS2 for over a year now, I can tell you there are no compatibility issues between the programs.