Any Beta players Bored of NS2?

Comments

• includeinclude aka RpTheHotrod Dallas, TX Join Date: 2003-01-08 Member: 12027Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    This is why I didn't play a lot of the beta. Having beta burnout is very common. I'm very much enjoying NS2 right now. I probably wouldn't be if I was playing beta over the past few months.
  • tarquinbbtarquinbb Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166314Members
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2035772:date=Nov 27 2012, 02:16 PM:name=Magneto)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Magneto @ Nov 27 2012, 02:16 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2035772"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It's not unusual to get bored of games sometimes but i always thought they shouldn't have released the game with so few maps especially considering it's purely multiplayer, most games come with at least eight or more maps and those usually have a whole single player story as well, sure they're a small team but they should have gotten at least one or two more working on it full time plus as much help from the community as possible, think if summit and veil weren't created by the community, we would only be playing with about four maps right now, improved tools would have helped as well.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

too many maps would make it worse.

it takes 'casual' players years to learn the vanilla maps... what we need is mineshaft/refinery to be removed rotation and stick with the more 'simple' veil, summit, tram and docking.
  • Skyforger2Skyforger2 Join Date: 2007-10-19 Member: 62681Members
    Im kinda addicted to arma2 atm, i have not stooped playing ns for more than 3 months since it's release.
    It's always the game that you just can have few matches/rounds before you play/do something else.
  • includeinclude aka RpTheHotrod Dallas, TX Join Date: 2003-01-08 Member: 12027Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    It also doesn't help with Black Ops 2 being released.
  • PsympleJesterPsympleJester Join Date: 2008-04-06 Member: 64024Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2035520:date=Nov 27 2012, 03:19 AM:name=male_fatalities)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (male_fatalities @ Nov 27 2012, 03:19 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2035520"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->My team is signed up to 2 ladder/leagues, played in a tourney last week and 2 previous tournaments before that. I'm not talking about pugs/scrims... I'm talking about what you do 99% of the other time when you're not scrimming.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<a href="http://www.ensl.org/gathers" target="_blank">http://www.ensl.org/gathers</a>

... I didn't realize I had to be so precise.
  • Salraine_ChiSalraine_Chi Join Date: 2011-07-03 Member: 107669Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2012
    It makes me sad reading threads like this.

I paid £20 for NS2 and have about 700 hours in. Thats good value for money in itself before I figure in the countless hours I played NS1 "FOR FREE". Tbh if I had stopped playing after the beta I would still have had my moneys worth. The fact is there will be new maps and loads of other stuff. Posting that you are bored or its public players fault you don't play anymore is disrespectful to UW and the vast majority of players who play for fun and have no interest in pwning n00bs or whatever else you elitist nippleheads call us.

Bored? Well dont play it then.......jesus.

Sal
  • De_willyDe_willy Join Date: 2010-07-17 Member: 72499Members
    edited November 2012
    Currently got 238 hours on the steam counter and I still enjoy playing on summit as much as i did the day it got released.
    One of the best games ever created by man if you ask me.
  • ShrimmShrimm Join Date: 2012-10-05 Member: 161652Members
    I've not played as much this last week as I was. Not because I'm getting bored with NS2, I'm just getting bored with near EVERY alien commander going camo first. It get's old cloaking as a skulk/getting killed by cloaked skulks. There's nearly no variety in combat when cloaking comes into play.
  • SpetzSpetz Join Date: 2002-11-05 Member: 7100Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2035694:date=Nov 27 2012, 10:47 AM:name=Xarius)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Xarius @ Nov 27 2012, 10:47 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2035694"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yes, every time I command it always strikes me how incredibly shallow the strategic gameplay, on both sides, is. After a while it just becomes repetitive really. I enjoy to just play as a marine or skulk for a while though, until I get bored of that too. (Same maps, same upgrades, same playstyles every game...)

+- 500 Hours played now. Can't say the game wasn't worth its money but boy do I miss a lot of the things that were in NS 1 and didn't make it into the 2nd. I reckon I had at least 1000 hours in NS 1 and still didn't get bored of it. NS1 was simply much deeper and more rewarding to play.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I can see your point.

I have 66 hours played and I'm almost bored because there's hardly any skill depth in NS2 compared to NS1 (which I played on and off for ~10 years).
  • TimMcTimMc Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143945Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2035475:date=Nov 26 2012, 08:47 PM:name=PsympleJester)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PsympleJester @ Nov 26 2012, 08:47 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2035475"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><a href="http://www.ensl.org" target="_blank">www.ensl.org</a>

Pub is pointless...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This or play with friends. Playing with pubs is really boring lately due to massive skill deficit.

I don't mean that in a mean way, its just alot of NS2 beta players are used to everyone communicating, coordinating and knowing whats going on. Pubs post release had their charm but its gone for me now.
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    I didn't play with any regularity all the way through the beta - just stopped in to check out each new patch. I've been playing a ton since launch though. I love the game but I certainly am hoping that the quality of players goes up over time.
  • wulfwulf Join Date: 2008-08-03 Member: 64749Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2035614:date=Nov 26 2012, 10:27 PM:name=Know pain)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Know pain @ Nov 26 2012, 10:27 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2035614"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I've got over 700 here and i have to leave this game for days on end due to the single line of how either team can win. <u><b> For example what UWE did with shifts and the onos. </b> </u>It took away one view of how aliens can win a game. Rather than limiting what teams can do, undo the changes to the mechanics of the game to allow more free use of the game style.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

omg MBSgriever please
  • DoppyDoppy Join Date: 2006-11-15 Member: 58624Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Hell no! I wish I could play it more.
  • ToadvineToadvine Join Date: 2012-10-15 Member: 162405Members
    600 hours over 4 months = roughly 5 hours a day (as previously stated)....umm of course your bored. This is a videogame, not crack cocaine.

And 90% of every pub game I join players are using the mic and coordinating attacks, so there is still teamwork and fun to be had. Just because some players might not be using the best proven methods, games are still rewarding.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    I have 430 hours exactly, since build 208. I still believe this is the best game I have ever played. I have grown board of most pub games for most of the reasons already stated. I do very much enjoy the semi serious pub games where there is halfway decent communication and the game is pretty even. I would play gathers more but they don't happen very often at the times I play at.
  • xiOteCHxiOteCH Join Date: 2012-10-03 Member: 161446Members
    First of all, English is not my first language. I played NS1 for 10 years, and I never got bored.

<a href="http://steamgraph.net/index.php?action=graph&appid=4920&from=1351872722" target="_blank">http://steamgraph.net/index.php?action=gra...from=1351872722</a>

It is sad to see the today's peak number. The game lost more than half of the players in 30 days. I think the problem is not the balance. They removed many features from NS1 that we could have been useful. Fade is also broken. I am not going to talk about how it was in ns1 because it has been already discussed on the forum.

I think the main problem are waiting for res and lack of map. Waiting is always boring. In this game, no matter how good you are, you have to wait for res. Res for kill in NS1 was way better. If you were dead as a lerk, fade, or onos, you could collect res by killing,instead of waiting, and evolve back. Don't tell me, it makes good players better and bad players worse. Go be fan boy somewhere else. There are plenty of rookie friendly servers. If you are a good player you play in a good server, and if you are bad you play in a noob server. They casualized the game and it got boring. The other problem is lack of maps. We are just playing on the same maps with the same tactics over and over. The game needs more maps.
  • rantologyrantology Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143750Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    or it could be...you know.. holidays
  • MOOtantMOOtant Join Date: 2010-06-25 Member: 72158Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2035436:date=Nov 27 2012, 02:54 AM:name=male_fatalities)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (male_fatalities @ Nov 27 2012, 02:54 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2035436"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Anyone else getting a bit bored of NS2...

Apart from scrims/pugs, I literally cannot even play this game anymore. I've clocked up 600 hours in about 4 months and have hit a wall where I just cannot play the same 3-4 maps over and over anymore. The quality of public players is beyond horrible (much worse than in NS1).

Believe it or not, I just want to play combat. I want a game mode where I don't have to worry what everyone else is doing, it lets me keep my aim / movement skill up to scratch and I can play a few 10 minute rounds then leave.

Need new maps soooo badly...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    That's what happens when people make all the "competitive" hype dominate everything. I heard SC2 is so boring for average player that there are barely any tournaments at the competitive level, no one wants to watch it nor play it.

Thank god (or whatever) that we have ns2combat.
  • xDragonxDragon Join Date: 2012-04-04 Member: 149948Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Its possible, but considering steam posted record player counts over the weeked, probably not the cause.

I dont think anyone here is regretting their purchase of NS2 or mad at UWE about NS2, its more just a discussion about the game and the longevity of it currently. Considering I have purchased 4 copies of NS2 to date myself, I dont think I regret any of them.
  • SpetzSpetz Join Date: 2002-11-05 Member: 7100Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2035929:date=Nov 27 2012, 07:47 PM:name=xiOteCH)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (xiOteCH @ Nov 27 2012, 07:47 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2035929"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->First of all, English is not my first language. I played NS1 for 10 years, and I never got bored.

<a href="http://steamgraph.net/index.php?action=graph&appid=4920&from=1351872722" target="_blank">http://steamgraph.net/index.php?action=gra...from=1351872722</a>

It is sad to see the today's peak number. The game lost more than half of the players in 30 days. I think the problem is not the balance. They removed many features from NS1 that we could have been useful. Fade is also broken. I am not going to talk about how it was in ns1 because it has been already discussed on the forum.

I think the main problem are waiting for res and lack of map. Waiting is always boring. In this game, no matter how good you are, you have to wait for res. Res for kill in NS1 was way better. If you were dead as a lerk, fade, or onos, you could collect res by killing,instead of waiting, and evolve back. Don't tell me, it makes good players better and bad players worse. Go be fan boy somewhere else. There are plenty of rookie friendly servers. If you are a good player you play in a good server, and if you are bad you play in a noob server. They casualized the game and it got boring. The other problem is lack of maps. We are just playing on the same maps with the same tactics over and over. The game needs more maps.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Well said. Your English is fine and you explained the point perfectly. I totally agree.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    You guys do have to keep in mind that NS2 was released onto the masses during a very busy time of the year with lots of big companies also releasing their games.
  • MOOtantMOOtant Join Date: 2010-06-25 Member: 72158Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2035475:date=Nov 27 2012, 03:47 AM:name=PsympleJester)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PsympleJester @ Nov 27 2012, 03:47 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2035475"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><a href="http://www.ensl.org" target="_blank">www.ensl.org</a>

Pub is pointless...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yes, I work for 8h, then want to relax while killing aliens and I'm supposed to get overly serious about game that has 4 maps?
  • BrainmaggotBrainmaggot Join Date: 2012-09-03 Member: 157535Members
    The reason the amount of players peaked around release and then steadily dropped has nothing to do with balance, maps or anything of that sort.
    It's just people who buy the game for a laugh, play for three hours and then lay it aside. These people do this with <i>lots</i> of games. It's a type of person.
    I knew a bunch of them personally. They buy games, play them for a maximum of 50 hours and then buy a new game. Rinse and repeat.

When it comes to being bored or not, as a beta player.
    No.

Publics will be publics. Of course the beta had better teamwork and less players who just mess around and don't bother with anything.
    The beta was for people who was genuinly interested in the game and payed for a product that wasn't even finished.
    This lays the foundation for a more mature and interesting community from the get go. It was also a smaller community making it more punishing if you constantly
    behaved bad, you'd quickly be recognized.

Here's some advice for beta players who doesn't want to play a lot of scrims and don't like the public servers anymore.
    Make some friends and find a server you like where you can become a regular. You don't need all of the players to be cool, just a third of half of them is usually enough
    for public play. If you want something to be nice in a sea of people, you need to put in an effort to find people you get along with.

Same rules as irl.
  • FappuchinoFappuchino Join Date: 2012-10-10 Member: 162008Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2035950:date=Nov 27 2012, 01:23 PM:name=Kouji_San)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kouji_San @ Nov 27 2012, 01:23 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2035950"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You guys do have to keep in mind that NS2 was released onto the masses during a very busy time of the year with lots of big companies also releasing their games.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    No one seems to mention this here. This is a BIG deal, so much so, that I think it was almost a horrible idea releasing the game at this time of the year. I'm sure UWE is making decent coin from the game, but with the Steam sales, triple A releases, other small indie multiplayer game, etc; it's a busy time.
  • ma$$a$$terma$$a$$ter Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165651Members
    Wasn't a beta player and neither were my friends. We have maybe 50 or so hours of game time. One got board with it before I did, but I can see I am slowly loosing the interest to play as well. His explanation to me was, once you learn it all, you have seen it all. there is no more to do, you have repetitive game play..

It's the same as CS and many other games.. it's all the same run, gun, die, repeat.

I think to save it from this many more "options" have to be added. It is rather vanilla at the moment. Options to build something to hide behind for marines, portable shield system maybe (like a gorge)? Letting the higher life forms do more then slash or bite...

The game just needs more depth..
  • TweadleTweadle Join Date: 2005-02-03 Member: 39686Members, NS2 Map Tester
    edited November 2012
    I'm disappointed with the end result and it's because of so many things. Deliberate design decisions, the lack thereof or just a slapping together of many different and contradictory ones has left the game far less coherent and tight than I ever hoped for. I also think the game has suffered from a lack of intelligent and experienced feedback during the beta but that's another story. I always feel restricted and I hate the spammy feel of the game. I wanted the game to be good so much but I just can't bring myself to playing it for more than 30 minutes at a time. Oh and Exos / Onos war is not my cup of tea.

Had I bought the game without having played NS1 so long, I would have regretted my purchase. As it happens, I owe the franchise a great deal.
  • [R8]DJBourgeoisie[R8]DJBourgeoisie Join Date: 2007-09-05 Member: 62176Members
    75% of what I loved in NS1 does not exist or has changed so much I don't recognize it in NS2. NS2 for me has less strategy, less dynamic gameplay and is really lacking in player skill reward. You play NS1 for a month and you just start to get the hang of it and can hold your own. In a month of playing NS2 I feel I'm about as good as I can be because the game does not have mechanics that have a deep and growing player skill cap. I'd list everything I dislike about NS2 and why I thought NS1 was superior in many ways but instead just read my NS2:C mod preview, I pretty much explain it all there.
  • male_fatalitiesmale_fatalities ausns2.org Join Date: 2004-03-06 Member: 27185Members, Constellation
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2035811:date=Nov 28 2012, 02:00 AM:name=PsympleJester)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PsympleJester @ Nov 28 2012, 02:00 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2035811"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><a href="http://www.ensl.org/gathers" target="_blank">http://www.ensl.org/gathers</a>

... I didn't realize I had to be so precise.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You didn't have to be precise... My team is already signed up to ensl.org. Not to mention this has absolutely nothing to do with the thread at all...
  • GlissGliss Join Date: 2003-03-23 Member: 14800Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2035979:date=Nov 27 2012, 01:11 PM:name=Tweadle)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tweadle @ Nov 27 2012, 01:11 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2035979"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm disappointed with the end result and it's because of so many things. Deliberate design decisions, the lack thereof or just a slapping together of many different and contradictory ones has left the game far less coherent and tight than I ever hoped for. I also think the game has suffered from a lack of intelligent and experienced feedback during the beta but that's another story. I always feel restricted and I hate the spammy feel of the game. I wanted the game to be good so much but I just can't bring myself to playing it for more than 30 minutes at a time. Oh and Exos / Onos war is not my cup of tea.

Had I bought the game without having played NS1 so long, I would have regretted my purchase. As it happens, I owe the franchise a great deal.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    this post and Dragon's sum up my feelings quite nicely.

one thing I would like to point out, however:
    the beta feedback was there, it was just ignored.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2036046:date=Nov 27 2012, 10:49 PM:name=Gliss)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Gliss @ Nov 27 2012, 10:49 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2036046"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->this post and Dragon's sum up my feelings quite nicely.

one thing I would like to point out, however:
    the beta feedback was there, it was just ignored.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I wouldn't say ignored, they used it on some ideas but took a different direction. Besides NS had issues as well, it's just that NS2 seems to be in a state where NS was during 1.04 or rather 2.0