Any Beta players Bored of NS2?

Comments

• male_fatalitiesmale_fatalities ausns2.org Join Date: 2004-03-06 Member: 27185Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=2035583:date=Nov 27 2012, 03:34 PM:name=endar)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (endar @ Nov 27 2012, 03:34 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2035583"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Is anyone running a combat server in Aus? Is there any interest in that? The past few times I've done it, the server sat idle (past the first night), and was full again when I reverted to ns2 vanilla.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Were you running the combat maps?

They have co_faceoff, co_core and co_pulse out now that are fully textured. If you put a combat server up, it would be awesome.

I've tried putting combat on my server, but me/clowning cannot get it working. Might be something with Hypernia
  • purephoenixpurephoenix Join Date: 2012-11-17 Member: 172074Members
    rothgars has some terrible rego tho and i don't think vac is enabled, i saw 3 wallhackers in an hour.
    It's only 10 players, too
  • ImbalanxdImbalanxd Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104581Members
    edited November 2012
    I am...

But about as bored as I do with any game. After playing the game for a couple of hours a day, I go to sleep hating it, and wake up wanting to play it. Though to put it in perspective, I stopped playing BF3 after +-500 hours, I'm at 600 hours for NS2 and will probably continue to play well into the future as long as people in my area continue to. The ultimate goal is to reach my L4D2 figure of +-2000 hours.

Though I will admit I think the boredom you mention represents more a change in us, than in the game, or games in general. We can all say that NS1 was much better and far more fun, but honestly, in terms of innovation and setting itself apart from other games, and even in terms of plain gameplay, the two are very similar. Yet for some reason, while I played NS1 devotedly for something like 5 years, every day, every hour I had spare, I never got bored of it. Even at the very end, when everybody else stopped playing it, I was sad because I wanted to keep playing it. Now after a measly 600 hours I find myself becoming weary of playing NS2. I think we have become more distracted, more temperamental, less focused. Many of us like to say that its a characteristic we dislike in the unwashed masses of gamers (myself included), but I think its rubbing off on us. I definitely can't stay as focused on a single game for as long as I used to be able to.
  • wirywiry Join Date: 2009-05-25 Member: 67479Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2035520:date=Nov 27 2012, 04:19 AM:name=male_fatalities)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (male_fatalities @ Nov 27 2012, 04:19 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2035520"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm talking about what you do 99% of the other time when you're not scrimming.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You mean when you're playing dota? or.. I'm confused.
  • elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2035583:date=Nov 27 2012, 04:34 PM:name=endar)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (endar @ Nov 27 2012, 04:34 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2035583"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Is anyone running a combat server in Aus? Is there any interest in that? The past few times I've done it, the server sat idle (past the first night), and was full again when I reverted to ns2 vanilla.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    You're probably going to run into the same situation again with filter modded and visibility in the longterm.

*Oh, @mf. what's wrong with the other maps? They're pretty immersive.
  • no_ideano_idea Join Date: 2005-02-15 Member: 41201Members
    edited November 2012
    This thread is very interesting to read: I am NOT tired of NS2 BUT I dont like the way the pub players behave and play. So I am very interested in these SCRIMS...
    Can someone tell me more about that please?

Is this like in tribes a "public" Clanwar? Where is this organised/how do I participate?

P.s: >My own< thesis back in NS1 as somebody who played the whole NS1 Lifecycle: Combat killed NS-classic which killed practically NS itself. I just hope that does not happen to NS2.
  • VitdomVitdom Join Date: 2012-04-30 Member: 151345Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I'm kind of bored of NS2 currently either because of me playing too much or to me the experience of increased lack of team communication due to the release 1 month ago.

It could also be because my favorite team is the Kharaa and I have seemingly become a lot worse at movement and aiming as a skulk and lerk(only movement). When I jump around as a skulk it doesn't feel like it used to, like very reliable and predictable movement which allowed me to aim better. Now I somehow have a more difficult time aiming correctly because I feel a lot less reliability in how the skulk moves and I have a more difficult time aiming because of this. I guess changes was made to the movement and I haven't been able to adapt...
  • LofungLofung Join Date: 2004-08-21 Member: 30757Members
    yes.

and its so sad i found no ns1 servers with ~200 pings. so i went back to do some simcity4. surprising that it is so much fun than ns2. its just really sad but i am enjoying.
  • TykjenTykjen Join Date: 2003-01-21 Member: 12552Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    For me its the other way around. The beta was a horrible venture for me with much lag and no fluid movements. I feared ns2 's release. And I clocked in only 10 hours played.

Now, after the release I have clocked in 127 hours. Safe to say my worries during the beta was put to death, and then some.
  • TaneTane Join Date: 2004-10-25 Member: 32441Members, Constellation
    edited November 2012
    It's quite normal to get bored lower level playing if you know better. That has happened to me with every game I have played competitive level. In NS2 I only play matches or private Archaea combat. The only time I touch to public NS2 is when a new patch comes and I want to test new things. Therefore I'm quite a noob with only 269 hours logged in total.
  • MuckyMcFlyMuckyMcFly Join Date: 2012-03-19 Member: 148982Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2012
    510 hr not including the Alpha and not bored at all.

I miss the beta crowd a lot, the games were far more intense and most wernt quitters and would fight to the bitter end.

Other than the occasional troll with 'noob' comments (510hrs and im a noob??) or back seat commanders its still fun.

Wished people would embrace the fact that this is a true team game and not a CoD clone, learn to squad, stop being a troll and get a microphone.
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited November 2012
    Yes, every time I command it always strikes me how incredibly shallow the strategic gameplay, on both sides, is. After a while it just becomes repetitive really. I enjoy to just play as a marine or skulk for a while though, until I get bored of that too. (Same maps, same upgrades, same playstyles every game...)

+- 500 Hours played now. Can't say the game wasn't worth its money but boy do I miss a lot of the things that were in NS 1 and didn't make it into the 2nd. I reckon I had at least 1000 hours in NS 1 and still didn't get bored of it. NS1 was simply much deeper and more rewarding to play.
    edited November 2012
    This thread is very interesting to read: I am NOT tired of NS2 BUT I dont like the way the pub players behave and play. So I am very interested in these SCRIMS...
    Can someone tell me more about that please?

Is this like in tribes a "public" Clanwar? Where is this organised/how do I participate?

P.s: Some talked about combat... >My own< thesis about NS1, as somebody who played the whole NS1 Lifecycle: Combat killed NS-classic which practically killed NS1 itself. I just hope that does not happen to NS2!
  • unkindunkind Join Date: 2012-02-04 Member: 143563Members
    yeah, kinda, i only have 160 hours though
  • VolcanoVolcano Join Date: 2011-07-27 Member: 112496Members, Constellation
    Really need fresh maps and a balance team
    <!--quoteo(post=2035694:date=Nov 27 2012, 11:47 AM:name=Xarius)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Xarius @ Nov 27 2012, 11:47 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2035694"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yes, every time I command it always strikes me how incredibly shallow the strategic gameplay, on both sides, is. After a while it just becomes repetitive really. I enjoy to just play as a marine or skulk for a while though, until I get bored of that too. (Same maps, same upgrades, same playstyles every game...)

+- 500 Hours played now. Can't say the game wasn't worth its money but boy do I miss a lot of the things that were in NS 1 and didn't make it into the 2nd. I reckon I had at least 1000 hours in NS 1 and still didn't get bored of it. NS1 was simply much deeper and more rewarding to play.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

And worst of all, NS1 did not cost anything. It would be safe to say the money you gave to UWE for NS2 might as well be for what they gave you with NS1. That's how I will always see it anyway. The Spark engine is also damn lovely. And modding is doing it big. I have no worries for the good old classic gameplay coming back.
  • tarquinbbtarquinbb Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166314Members
    1. performance problems
    2. extremely low pub server skill level
    3. stale strategies/not enough maps

all three of those issues will improve over time.

you need to keep hopping servers until you find a pub with talkative players and active admins. such servers as this usually retain a playerbase; therefore retain some level of skill and coordination.

truthfully, it's the loading time which is bugging me. 2-3 minutes to load and discover your team to be a waste of time; switch server and have to wait 2-3 minutes again... totally kills your desire to play.
    <!--quoteo(post=2035714:date=Nov 27 2012, 12:51 PM:name=tarquinbb)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (tarquinbb @ Nov 27 2012, 12:51 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2035714"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->1. performance problems
    2. extremely low pub server skill level
    3. stale strategies/not enough maps

all three of those issues will improve over time.

you need to keep hopping servers until you find a pub with talkative players and active admins. such servers as this usually retain a playerbase; therefore retain some level of skill and coordination.

truthfully, it's the loading time which is bugging me. 2-3 minutes to load and discover your team to be a waste of time; switch server and have to wait 2-3 minutes again... totally kills your desire to play.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yup. This tactic has helped me find better games.
    But what is this about loading time? Get an SSD ;) I only wait 10-20 seconds.
  • purephoenixpurephoenix Join Date: 2012-11-17 Member: 172074Members
    Yeah i was about to say, minutes? That's some ridiculous load times there.
    I wait ~10-20 seconds too on a vertex 3 ssd.
  • bHackbHack Join Date: 2010-03-23 Member: 71059Members
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2035518:date=Nov 27 2012, 03:13 AM:name={GGs} Chicken)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE ({GGs} Chicken @ Nov 27 2012, 03:13 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2035518"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Gathers are kinda pointless too...you wait a while to get it started and then the majority of the people have no basic sense of what they should be doing at any given time<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I disagree. There are high skilled gathers, but not at peak time of when teams pcw.
    Obviously you should expect new members in the ensl and gathers. But it's much better than pubs.
    Currently I'd say 60% of gather players are more than experienced players. 20% are learning and are good. 10% are fairly new with the gathers, but at least know the game. And 10% are new to the game who are not that active in the gathers anyway.
    But again, gathers > pubs. If you want more SERIOUS NS2 gameplay - make/join team and play scrims/pcw and participate in tournaments/league.

Also, it depends on which region you are from.. EU playerbase is more active in gathers than American. Most of the time, before 10~CST Americans would play on european gather servers, as there are more eu players at that time - which mean you would be playing with 120~150ping.

Nevertheless, it's much more interesting than pubs...

The only good point is - the lack of maps. :>
  • JantunenJantunen Join Date: 2012-11-27 Member: 173385Members
    I have a similar feeling at the moment, but the only thing that bothers me is how horrible pubs are. It's nearly pointless to even play a pub game when most of the time winning is only about being lucky enough to get less bads than the other team. I imagine and hope the situation will improve once the game gets older, though.
    whats the difference between SCRIMs and Gathers ?
    Because I would love to join something like tribes1-Gathers: A team of people forming through forums and not through real, fixed clans.
  • YuukiYuuki Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75079Members
    edited November 2012
    Scrims are just two teams playing each other. A gather is random people playing an organized game here: www.ensl.org.

Scrims and gather are nice, but they are no magical solution to boredom, scrims can get very repetitive (specially when the current build is broken) and you need to have even teams, otherwise it's super boring for the winning team. Gathers can be a nightmare also when people don't join, you have to wait forever, no one want to command, etc. But sometimes they can be a lot of fun.
  • VolcanoVolcano Join Date: 2011-07-27 Member: 112496Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=2035739:date=Nov 27 2012, 11:27 PM:name=Yuuki)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Yuuki @ Nov 27 2012, 11:27 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2035739"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Scrims and gather are nice, but they are no magical solution to boredom, scrims can get very repetitive (specially when the current build is broken) and you need to have even teams, otherwise it's super boring for the winning team.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Very boring as of late
    edited November 2012
    Soo.... a "scrim" is what players called "clanwar" back in 98?. [edit]: Ah... just read in the urbandictonary that a scrim is what was called "friendly war".

Thanks for the headsup though -> Going to test the ENSL gathers.
  • MagnetoMagneto Join Date: 2010-12-22 Member: 75856Members
    edited November 2012
    It's not unusual to get bored of games sometimes but i always thought they shouldn't have released the game with so few maps especially considering it's purely multiplayer, most games come with at least eight or more maps and those usually have a whole single player story as well, sure they're a small team but they should have gotten at least one or two more working on it full time plus as much help from the community as possible, think if summit and veil weren't created by the community, we would only be playing with about four maps right now, improved tools would have helped as well.
  • NurEinMenschNurEinMensch Join Date: 2003-02-26 Member: 14056Members, Constellation
    It's a video game, not your life. Of course it will get boring if you play it too much. Do something else for a month, then come back.
  • PoNeHPoNeH Join Date: 2006-12-01 Member: 58801Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester
    I must say that I am bored. I can attribute it to how similar both sides (Marines and Aliens) are. Alien commanding ruined this game for me.

In NS1, we had a completely different experience on each side. If you were in the mood to coop and chat, go Rines. If you just wanted to pick up a game and do your own thing, go Aliens. That's what made NS1 unique and satisfying to me. It kept the game fresh.
  • MaximumSquidMaximumSquid Join Date: 2010-07-20 Member: 72593Members
    edited November 2012
    <u><b>male_fatalities:</b></u>

Nope. . .

I'm a long way from perfecting my marine strategy now that aliens no longer have linear gameplay

Also if anyone is wondering looks like I'm just past 500 hours according to steam

-
  • Omega_K2Omega_K2 Join Date: 2011-12-25 Member: 139013Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Not bored, but tired of issues with the game and more recenetly with the release the quality of pub games is especially crap (and gather to some degree aswell)