First game of a new map is always a gimp game.

SurelogSurelog Join Date: 2007-01-07 Member: 59498Members
So it seems like every time a server loads up a new map you get two teams with only 2-3 players on each side, and usually a fight over who is not going to command or who is. What the result is, the first map of the game is a complete waste, usually ending with one side completely creaming the other.

Are there any servers out there that wait till both teams have a commander and at least most of the ready room in the actual game before starting the match? Are there any mods or servers you can list that fight this?

Comments

• MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    Yes, this is a persisting issue, easily fixed too, don't start games without comms or just increase warmup time.

As for servers, I think (can't remember) HBZ servers in europe had extended warmup? Some others maybe?
  • SurelogSurelog Join Date: 2007-01-07 Member: 59498Members
    Well they're certainly uncommon. I usually filter on modded servers, so is this just a modded server thing or can it be on a regular traditional sever as well?
  • hushus Join Date: 2012-11-25 Member: 173206Members
    Easily fixable. Happy to wait for longer warmup times/player checks before starting game.
    Problem is alien comm can cover an entire map by himself and the team with 4 marines are stuck at spawn building/getting rushed.
  • tarquinbbtarquinbb Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166314Members
    edited November 2012
    yeah, the 'waiting for players' warmup period should be tuned to the average loading speed.

the loading time seems to have doubled for me since 228. i was one of the 'wtf are ppl moaning about the loading times' people, yet after the precache was upped from 900 to >1000; it seems to be substantially slower.

i mean.... by the time i join the game people already have several frags on the board.
  • DawormDaworm Join Date: 2009-06-22 Member: 67900Members
    I prefer the NS1 days of randomall after X seconds, usually following an AFK/RR idle kick.

I hate it when a server is full and 6 people are ingame playing while the other 10 are idle/afk in ready room because they want a map change and don't want to play the same map for the 3rd time in a row.
  • SeahuntsSeahunts Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151973Members
    This issue has been discussed here also:

<a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=124806" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...howtopic=124806</a>
  • DestherDesther Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165195Members
    Agree with this. Most 16-20 player games start out with 2-3 players on each team.
  • HivelordHivelord Join Date: 2003-06-21 Member: 17567Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Is this the Dev's problem? Are server admins unable to change warmup time, or do they need mods?
  • HeatSurgeHeatSurge Some Guy Join Date: 2012-09-15 Member: 159438Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    I don't think there is any "warmup time" on the servers right now.

The game starts 3 seconds after there is at least 1 player on each team from what I've seen.

I don't think any of this is changeable without mods.
  • RokiyoRokiyo A.K.A. .::FeX::. Revenge Join Date: 2002-10-10 Member: 1471Members, Constellation
    I think the warm-up period needs to keeping going until 60% of the players on a server have joined a team, any team.

On a server with 12 players currently in it, 7 people would need to have joined before the warm-up timer even <i>begins</i> counting down. On a server with 18 people on, that's 11 people that would need to have chosen a side.
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    I can't believe they still haven't fixed this. Personally I always play on servers with the DAK plugin, so I don't have to deal with it. It's an incredibly easy fix and UWE should get to it ASAP. (Just prolong the game start phase)
  • MuckyMcFlyMuckyMcFly Join Date: 2012-03-19 Member: 148982Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    I agree that the game shoudnt actually start untill 60% or more of the players have joined a team.

I quite like the idea of random for those sat in the RR waiting for a specific team a few mins after the game starts then kick if they dont move for two mins after that, taking up a slot and idling is annoying.
  • NammNamm Join Date: 2011-12-08 Member: 137116Members
    Instead of including or increasing the warm-up time, why not make the warm-up fun? Maybe a mini-combat mode or target practice against Skulk bots in an extended Ready Room (with high scores!).
  • SjNSjN Join Date: 2003-01-07 Member: 11983Members, Reinforced - Supporter
  • tarquinbbtarquinbb Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166314Members
    i'm pretty sure that admins have an option to force random and restart the round.

i don't think the devs should 'force' it... just find a server with a decent group of admins.
  • RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I really do not understand these comments in regard to admin controls, players can't magic an admin up and get him to sort it out.

How many threads do we need on this? It really needs to be sorted out by having a warm up time that is effected by X,Y,Z.