Tunnel Vision

CabbageMonsterCabbageMonster Join Date: 2012-11-19 Member: 172479Members, Reinforced - Shadow
edited November 2012 in NS2 General Discussion
<div class="IPBDescription">My take on Marines.</div>Hello, i've been noticing a trend and would kindly ask you to share if you also noticed this. Playing as a marine i notice that alot of playes as marines get tunnel vision, this is a cause of concern for me since that always ends up loosing the game, this is specially prominent on maps with lost of smaller rooms and more allyways in my case.

Anyway, have anyone else experiences this and is it something that more marine playes need in their tutorial.

What i meant is not actuall tunnel vission but the act of never stop and change tactics or actions, read Techercizer post.

Comments

• SwiftspearSwiftspear Custim tital Join Date: 2003-10-29 Member: 22097Members
    I've never seen someone complain about getting tunnel vision... I'm not sure what you mean by that...
  • Katana314Katana314 Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166379Members
    It's not something you can teach easily. It comes with practice to know when and where to check your surroundings. It may also be difficult to force players to turn up their audio so they can sense attackers.
  • SopsSops Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17894Members, Constellation
    Don't be so critical of the <a href="http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_D_Z-D2tzi14/S8TRIo4br3I/AAAAAAAACv4/Zh7_GcMlRKo/s400/ALOT.png" target="_blank">poor thing.</a>
  • TunskaTunska Join Date: 2003-03-01 Member: 14176Members
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2034731:date=Nov 26 2012, 04:32 AM:name=Swiftspear)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Swiftspear @ Nov 26 2012, 04:32 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2034731"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I've never seen someone complain about getting tunnel vision... I'm not sure what you mean by that...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    When talking about tunnel vision I don't think he literally means visual problems for lack of sight. It can also mean that people will focus on one certain task or goal so hard that they ignore everything else. For example: There is gorge clog wall with crags and gorge healing near your base. Some people are so adamant to get it down that they just waste time, while you could just go other way and secure/kill hive spots.
  • TechercizerTechercizer 7th Player Join Date: 2011-06-11 Member: 103832Members
    edited November 2012
    I believe OP is reacting how new players deal poorly with pressure.

One of the core strategic goals of NS2 is to exert pressure on your opponent. To flood enough force into an important area that the opponent becomes fixated on the defense. After spawning and rushing through a phase gate to defend two or three times in a row, many players just shut down and mechanically repeat the action until the position is held or lost. Many others become disproportionately fixated on that struggle; the room on the other side of the gate becomes the only part of the map they think about. After dying many times, some players may become nihilistic as their morale drops, leading to decreased performance and innovation. This phenomena occurs with both Marine and Alien players, and is a critical part of NS2 gameplay from green rookies all the way up to competitive tournaments.

One of the advantages of successfully pressuring your opponent is that the more aware team (typically the team exerting the pressure or attacking the position, though quite often teams can wind up being overwhelmed by pressure from defenders when they bite off more than they can chew!) can divert a player or two to expand and consolidate their territory at the expense of their opponents. While all the Aliens are busy suiciding into The Neck from Pipeline, the Marines can cap every other RT in the map and build a phase outside Cargo. Aliens tend to grow their harvesters without player assistance, but a skulk or two out of the fight can devastate Marine extractors one after another.

New players, having less experience with its dangers and being less versed in the alternatives to meat-grinder combat, are particularly susceptible to being pressured. In the end, though, this is the game working as intended; keeping your head about you at all times is just another skill that needs to be learned in NS2.
  • w3st420w3st420 Join Date: 2010-07-21 Member: 72615Members
    "Guys we don't need to take lava falls, lets get the rest of the map instead of 2 RT's."

Watches entire team suicide rush lava falls until 5 onos overrun your base.
  • AfterhoursAfterhours Join Date: 2012-09-18 Member: 159869Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2012
    I've found that using waypoints for your marines is pretty damn effective.

I mean, OH MY GOD I HAVE TO TALK TO MY MARINES AND MICRO THEM TOO???

Curse my every helpful bird's eye view...

/staresatmarinecomm

Sometimes, you gotta help the leader too.
  • AzathothAzathoth Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 166149Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2034778:date=Nov 25 2012, 07:55 PM:name=w3st420)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (w3st420 @ Nov 25 2012, 07:55 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2034778"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->"Guys we don't need to take lava falls, lets get the rest of the map instead of 2 RT's."

Watches entire team suicide rush lava falls until 5 onos overrun your base.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I forever hate lava falls for this very reason.

people get way too worked up over one location all the time.
  • hushus Join Date: 2012-11-25 Member: 173206Members
    Double res point on map - zerg repeatedly. Youll get past the defences on the 45th attempt, just in time for onos to take your power out and base rape you.
    Spawn next to alien hive - zerg repeatedly. Youll get past the defences on the 45th attempt, just in time for aliens to finish their 4th hive and cue the onos base rape.

Its so much effort to coordinate a marine team.
  • MerlinCrossMerlinCross Join Date: 2012-11-08 Member: 168471Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2034814:date=Nov 25 2012, 09:45 PM:name=Azathoth)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Azathoth @ Nov 25 2012, 09:45 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2034814"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I forever hate lava falls for this very reason.

people get way too worked up over one location all the time.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Hate Nano for the same reason.
  • HeatSurgeHeatSurge Some Guy Join Date: 2012-09-15 Member: 159438Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    I've been guilty of this, on both marine and alien side.

It's just so easy to fall in the mentality that "that last attack didn't work, but if I just do this little thing differently, I'll surely get it this time." Rinse and repeat.

It's also unpleasant to go from a situation you know to some other situation on the other side of the map you know nothing about.

... but I consciously force myself to do something different if what I'm doing is not working.

It should really be the commander's job though, to say "guys, this doesn't seem to be working, let's try X instead."
  • GuspazGuspaz Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2862Members, Constellation
    More precisely, all players should always be acting on the commander's orders, be they waypoint or verbal, detailed or standing...
  • CabbageMonsterCabbageMonster Join Date: 2012-11-19 Member: 172479Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2012
    What i meant is as Techercizer pointed out with his excellent post, the fact that many seem to focus to hard on one objective, as i just played a game where this happened, it really should be in a tutorial or something, we managed to build 2 full bases but then the aliens desided to push and it became the horrible experience once again. Anyway i try to help by spaming orders but pepole tend to take this the wrong way and ignore them since i'm not the commander.

THere are so many things you can do if you think about it but it always seem to end up in this way. This is even worse since offen the alien comander can expand without any interference and then drop onos eggs and by that point it's SUPER TURTLE MODE ACTIVATED, and you loose after 30mins of defending.

Anyway, supprised so many responded and thank you for taking the time.

Edit: my favorite part of any map is ventilation, WE NEED THAT RSP, while watching the enemy team take crossroads then the rest of the map and win.