Unreal 2: The Awakening

Bad MojoBad Mojo Join Date: 2009-05-01 Member: 67317Members
edited November 2012 in NS2 General Discussion
<div class="IPBDescription">Anyone remember this underrated game?</div>Since I flew home for Thanksgiving, I don't have my PC with me and have been forced to play random games for nostalgic value since my dad's dated machine can't handle NS2. I started playing <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vawGzNA3nxs&feature=relmfu" target="_blank">Unreal 2: The Awakening</a> and noticed the similarities, at least in the map design (for the indoor areas).

Also I used to love the neat way they used deployables like the field generators shown in that video. Then of course there are the sentries placed individually and by the player which seems to be a more fun system than the comm placing sentry batteries. Sentries need to be more powerful/expensive and moved a little higher up in the tech tree where they can be made viable. And it would remove the need to spam sentries everywhere to try to make up for their lack of efffectiveness.

As far as the field generators, could be an interesting area denial tactic for marines, but aliens need better area denial of their own...infestation needs to do <b>more</b> to hinder marines/enhance aliens besides the inability to drop marine structures.

Comments

• unkindunkind Join Date: 2012-02-04 Member: 143563Members
    game was pretty bad compared to unreal tbh
  • Bad MojoBad Mojo Join Date: 2009-05-01 Member: 67317Members
    That's what everyone says...I don't see why this game is 'so bad.'

There's no denying the original was amazing, but I don't understand this bandwagon of hate for the sequel.
  • despairdespair Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165746Members
    ut99 best game ive ever played

will miss those days
  • HeatSurgeHeatSurge Some Guy Join Date: 2012-09-15 Member: 159438Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited November 2012
    It wasn't bad at all, it was just a little bland.

There is no comparison to the first Unreal, lol. At the time, it's indescribable how good that game looked compared to anything even remotely close to it. It pushed 3d accelerated games to the next level.
  • NeoRussiaNeoRussia Join Date: 2012-08-04 Member: 154743Members
    Unreal was the best single player game of all time. I'm thinking of replaying it. Probably going to set up a twitch stream or something. Maybe just upload to my youtube? Youtube has a streaming feature now. Anybody interesting in watching a playthrough of Unreal Gold?
    I played Unreal not too long ago. Definitely amazing.

Have to disagree about the best single player game of all time bit though. Would go with Half-Life on that. But I don't think either of those two opinions can really be critized too heavily.
  • GuspazGuspaz Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2862Members, Constellation
    Unreal 2 single player was mediocre. Not bad, really, just kind of boring.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=2032976:date=Nov 23 2012, 05:13 PM:name=Guspaz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Guspaz @ Nov 23 2012, 05:13 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2032976"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Unreal 2 single player was mediocre. Not bad, really, just kind of boring.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    It felt more like a showcase of what their brand new engine could do visually as well
  • RadiocageRadiocage Join Date: 2002-09-30 Member: 1381Members
    Heh, someone gave me a copy of Unreal 2 on the XBox and it was absolutely horrid there. Every single animation was reduced in frames and it was choppy and disgusting.

However, UT99 and UT2K4 were absolutely wonderful multiplayer games. Totally awesome.
    <!--quoteo(post=2032749:date=Nov 23 2012, 03:21 AM:name=Bad Mojo)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bad Mojo @ Nov 23 2012, 03:21 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2032749"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Have to disagree about the best single player game of all time bit though. Would go with Half-Life on that. But I don't think either of those two opinions can really be critized too heavily.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Imo half-life has the best story and pacing of any single player shooter, Unreal has the best atmosphere and settings. Both are a 10/10 but nothing will compare to the first unreal for me, just replaying the campaign I could not believe how no game has yet accomplished this good of an atmosphere with today's graphics.
  • VoodooHexVoodooHex Join Date: 2012-06-14 Member: 153264Members
    Oh damn I remember this game. I cried like a baby at the end. I was pissed at the developers and blown away by the story all at the same time.
    <!--quoteo(post=2033360:date=Nov 24 2012, 12:05 AM:name=NeoRussia)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (NeoRussia @ Nov 24 2012, 12:05 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2033360"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Imo half-life has the best story and pacing of any single player shooter, Unreal has the best atmosphere and settings. Both are a 10/10 but nothing will compare to the first unreal for me, just replaying the campaign I could not believe how no game has yet accomplished this good of an atmosphere with today's graphics.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

On a vaguely related note, this video makes me sad.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1ZtBCpo0eU" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1ZtBCpo0eU</a>
  • purephoenixpurephoenix Join Date: 2012-11-17 Member: 172074Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2033360:date=Nov 24 2012, 03:35 PM:name=NeoRussia)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (NeoRussia @ Nov 24 2012, 03:35 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2033360"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Imo half-life has the best story and pacing of any single player shooter, Unreal has the best atmosphere and settings. Both are a 10/10 but nothing will compare to the first unreal for me, just replaying the campaign I could not believe how no game has yet accomplished this good of an atmosphere with today's graphics.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

HL1 is one of those "You had to be there" things. People born afterwards still appreciate it or if you missed out on it and came back to it later, you'll still think they did good for their time. You might even still think they wrote a great game.

But seeing it run at 20-30 fps 800x600 on my old ###### celeron 533 with 64mbyte of ram and NO graphics card....

Priceless.

Keep in mind too... if you're talking Engine graphics vs hardware, HL1 still floors it even in that department. HL1 had a physics engine that allowed interactable objects, buttons, elevators and all sorts. Much of which iirc Unreal didn't have.
    <!--quoteo(post=2033400:date=Nov 24 2012, 02:06 AM:name=purephoenix)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (purephoenix @ Nov 24 2012, 02:06 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2033400"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->HL1 had a physics engine that allowed interactable objects, buttons, elevators and all sorts. Much of which iirc Unreal didn't have.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Are you sure? Unreal did have physics, even underwater physics simulation.
  • CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester
    Define "interactable" objects. Buttons and elevators are no physic objects, they are just triggers linked to a mesh that moves along a predefined path.