I dare you to break 135 hours STRAIGHT.

ZeframZefram Join Date: 2004-05-11 Member: 28611Members, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts, Retired Community Developer
This guy did it for Call of Duty. We should be able to get an enthusiast or a dozen of you guys to do it all. 6v6, 135 hour marathon scrim.

DO IT! Show the world how great this game is....
<a href="http://games.yahoo.com/blogs/plugged-in/australian-man-breaks-gaming-marathon-record-122-hours-201104147.html" target="_blank">http://games.yahoo.com/blogs/plugged-in/au...-201104147.html</a>

Comments

• antacidantacid Join Date: 2007-08-07 Member: 61821Members, NS2 Playtester
    Um, that isn't something that anyone should be particularly proud of.
  • hartrafthartraft Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72468Members
    If I got paid for the time I wasn't at work I would give it a crack.

Problem with NS2 though is tehre may not be anyone to play against at 1 am in the morning.
  • BVKnightBVKnight Join Date: 2012-02-26 Member: 147496Members
    edited November 2012
    Yes, let's challenge groups of casual gamers to try to nonchalantly break a world record, when several stories are already in the news about people dying from exhaustion from non-stop gaming. Great publicity for NS2.

Edit: In case people haven't done the math, 135 hours is 5.63 days of non-stop gaming.
    <!--quoteo(post=2031805:date=Nov 22 2012, 01:38 PM:name=BVKnight)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BVKnight @ Nov 22 2012, 01:38 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2031805"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yes, let's challenge groups of casual gamers to try to nonchalantly break a world record, when several stories are already in the news about people dying from exhaustion from non-stop gaming. Great publicity for NS2.

Edit: In case people haven't done the math, 135 hours is 5.63 days of non-stop gaming.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

True some people might take the story as a challenge and try it by themselves with adverse effects. But if it was a legitimate attempt I think the rules are fairly stringent. 10 minute break every hour, or you can build up your time.

But yes it could be bad for NS@ if something horrible went wrong.
  • tarquinbbtarquinbb Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166314Members
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2031803:date=Nov 22 2012, 02:37 AM:name=hartraft)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (hartraft @ Nov 22 2012, 02:37 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2031803"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If I got paid for the time I wasn't at work I would give it a crack.

Problem with NS2 though is tehre may not be anyone to play against at 1 am in the morning.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

i just had the best game ever at 2am on summit...

as i joined, marines lost sub sector and were down to their last base in data core. marines carried on fighting, poking reactor core and trying to hold crossroads (still neutral) and claw back sub sector.

aliens managed to take hives in sub sector and crossroads, dropping shades and defending well (skulks seem far more tricky to hit since the walljump change :P). it was only a matter of time before they were able to get onos, but somehow we were able to muscle through and kill the sub sector hive to take it back.

we got jetpacks soon after; just as the onos started to arrive. the aliens were apparently too bold with their onos, because we were able to kill several of them as they over extended into sub sector (practically impossible for onos to kill jetpacker in there). then we piled on the pressure into flight control with a lone exosuit and a bunch of jetpack/welders.

anyway, you get the picture - 4 base aliens over extended and the marine team came back to win. the game was about 50 minutes long.
    <!--quoteo(post=2031812:date=Nov 22 2012, 01:49 PM:name=tarquinbb)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (tarquinbb @ Nov 22 2012, 01:49 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2031812"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->i just had the best game ever at 2am on summit...

as i joined, marines lost sub sector and were down to their last base in data core. marines carried on fighting, poking reactor core and trying to hold crossroads (still neutral) and claw back sub sector.

aliens managed to take hives in sub sector and crossroads, dropping shades and defending well (skulks seem far more tricky to hit since the walljump change :P). it was only a matter of time before they were able to get onos, but somehow we were able to muscle through and kill the sub sector hive to take it back.

we got jetpacks soon after; just as the onos started to arrive. the aliens were apparently too bold with their onos, because we were able to kill several of them as they over extended into sub sector (practically impossible for onos to kill jetpacker in there). then we piled on the pressure into flight control with a lone exosuit and a bunch of jetpack/welders.

anyway, you get the picture - 4 base aliens over extended and the marine team came back to win. the game was about 50 minutes long.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Sounds epic! Having too many Oni can result in over confidence I suppose. What country do you game from? I'm from Australia so not sure what the NS midnight night life is like. Could be more lively than I thought.
  • HeatSurgeHeatSurge Some Guy Join Date: 2012-09-15 Member: 159438Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    He certainly looks like he's having a lot of fun on that picture...

... NOT.
  • Marty123Marty123 Join Date: 2012-09-06 Member: 158055Members
    I'd be worried about literally dying if I tried to do that.
  • LofungLofung Join Date: 2004-08-21 Member: 30757Members
    i am more concerned if i am bored to death playing those exo - onos pub matches.
  • grizzlyyygrizzlyyy Join Date: 2012-10-09 Member: 161924Members
    To waste all that time on such a terrible game. Worth the laugh.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I read that article as "Man trys to kill himself playing video games, gets World Record instead."
  • SolaritySolarity Join Date: 2012-11-13 Member: 170515Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2031801:date=Nov 21 2012, 06:35 PM:name=antacid)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (antacid @ Nov 21 2012, 06:35 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2031801"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Um, that isn't something that anyone should be particularly proud of.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

/Like

I bet he had someone swap in for him or he went AFK. In any case I do not think it is possible nor do I ever have any interest in trying.
  • YMICrazyYMICrazy Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165986Members
    What???? That is approaching stoke levels? How do people do this? I can barely make it past 24 hours as a kid.
  • ZeframZefram Join Date: 2004-05-11 Member: 28611Members, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts, Retired Community Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=2031805:date=Nov 21 2012, 08:38 PM:name=BVKnight)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BVKnight @ Nov 21 2012, 08:38 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2031805"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yes, let's challenge groups of casual gamers to try to nonchalantly break a world record, when several stories are already in the news about people dying from exhaustion from non-stop gaming. Great publicity for NS2. Edit: In case people haven't done the math, 135 hours is 5.63 days of non-stop gaming.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You know what they say, any news is good news. The guy actually did it in about a 7 day span. You're allowed 10 minute breaks every hour and the breaks you don't take can be accumulated. He saved enough for a 4 hour stretch of sleep. It's a little less impressive, sounds like most college students.

Time to start the marathon 6v6 tournament. Guys... get someone to sponsor this! now!
  • kk20kk20 Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164592Members
    edited November 2012
    Ive been to 4 day lans where you game for 14 hours solid per day, sleep a bit, solicalise a bit some even had a wash. We organised food beforehand. Even giving the local pizza company money up front to deliver pizza at 8pm. Sure this is not in the same league as 5.6 days but still it wasnt that hard.

I imagine it would get boring playing for so long. Sure if there were different games set up for you so you could slide to the next one then that might be better!
  • BicsumBicsum Join Date: 2012-02-27 Member: 147596Members, Reinforced - Gold
    135 hours ns2 marathon sounds like a big achievement. I'd put that into my curriculum vitae.
  • 2jzo2jzo Join Date: 2012-11-22 Member: 172833Members
    I would not recommend anyone to do this or plan such an event. I'm a paramedic for my day time job and I've dealt with casualties of sleep deprivation.
    It has a very negative impact on your health. 5+ days of non-stop activity of the brain will do more than make you delusional. I guarantee it.