Changing the 50res exo to have freezeguns?

LuminothLuminoth Join Date: 2012-11-16 Member: 171739Members
edited November 2012 in Ideas and Suggestions
So the topic says it all. Since alot of people agree the 50res exo doesn't give a real gameplay choice, compared to the fade against the onos. I suggest we remove the minigun and fist from the 50res exo and make it the assymetric of the fade, like the onos is for the doubble barrel exo. The Onos is THE close combat killing machine while the DB exo is THE long range killing machine.

So, since the Fade, mainly because of blink, is the mobility expert, why not have the 50res exo become a medium armored support exo that uses freezeguns to slow down aliens, eventually, depending on the exposure time and the aliens mass, bringing them to a complete stop for a short duration. The Icegun/s wouldn't necessarely have to damage the aliens or if so then only slightly, like the flamethrower but less powerfull.

Either way I think that it would add a new dimension to the game allowing the marines to counter one of the aliens greatest advantage, mobility!

Now it may become OP, I don't know, but I hope that your comments might give an insight on this idea. Thanks for reading anyway!

Comments

• PsympleJesterPsympleJester Join Date: 2008-04-06 Member: 64024Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2031197:date=Nov 21 2012, 03:42 PM:name=Luminoth)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Luminoth @ Nov 21 2012, 03:42 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2031197"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Lol icegun<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Perhaps a marine speed exo with a single energy sapping heavy flamer of dead cyst, res tower and hive + crags. Baaawdassness.
    But that would probably be op.... maybe not. :)
  • LuminothLuminoth Join Date: 2012-11-16 Member: 171739Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2031201:date=Nov 21 2012, 03:45 PM:name=PsympleJester)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PsympleJester @ Nov 21 2012, 03:45 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2031201"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Perhaps a marine speed exo with a single energy sapping heavy flamer of dead cyst, res tower and hive + crags. Baaawdassness.
    But that would probably be op.... maybe not. :)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'm not proposing this as a joke, neither do I wish to see an OP exo. It's a real proposal that if well though by the comunity and devs could effectively replace the right now useless 50res exo. So, next time, if you could use your brain before answering, that would be much apreciated. Hugs XD
  • PsympleJesterPsympleJester Join Date: 2008-04-06 Member: 64024Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2031209:date=Nov 21 2012, 03:51 PM:name=Luminoth)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Luminoth @ Nov 21 2012, 03:51 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2031209"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Lolbrain?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Actually I proposed something that worked in the exact sameish way as yours but didnt include lolgimmics and lolnewicegun.
    As I continue to state elsewhere Exo doesnt work as it is too slow, and IT requires support.
    There is a reason the alien support lifeforms are 10 and 30 res and onos and fade are able to one man map control.
    Exo cannot be a support unit or it will not be used.
    Exo cannot be slow or it will not be used.
    <!--quoteo(post=2031223:date=Nov 21 2012, 04:05 PM:name=PsympleJester)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PsympleJester @ Nov 21 2012, 04:05 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2031223"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Actually I proposed something that worked in the exact sameish way as yours but didnt include lolgimmics and lolnewicegun.
    As I continue to state elsewhere Exo doesnt work as it is too slow, and IT requires support.
    There is a reason the alien support lifeforms are 10 and 30 res and onos and fade are able to one man map control.
    Exo cannot be a support unit or it will not be used.
    Exo cannot be slow or it will not be used.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

But wouldn't freezing aliens compensate the fact that they're slow by rendering the aliens themselves slow?

Or we could simply drop the 50res exo and make it a light armored suit with included jetpack and then as armement whatever fits best. But I still think that heavy exos should be slow...
  • AzaralAzaral Join Date: 2012-11-19 Member: 172408Members
    Would be neat if the ice gun would disable alien structures. The more you spray it, the less effective it is until it is completely frozen at which point it is rendered 100% ineffectual. Freezing would also reduce healing equal to the percentage it is frozen. Also, increase damage equal to a percentage it is frozen maybe and have the ice gun do no damage by itself. Would have to disable it completely faster than just killing otherwise there would be no point as killing it would be the better option.
    <!--quoteo(post=2031273:date=Nov 21 2012, 04:40 PM:name=Azaral)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Azaral @ Nov 21 2012, 04:40 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2031273"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Would be neat if the ice gun would disable alien structures. The more you spray it, the less effective it is until it is completely frozen at which point it is rendered 100% ineffectual. Freezing would also reduce healing equal to the percentage it is frozen. Also, increase damage equal to a percentage it is frozen maybe and have the ice gun do no damage by itself. Would have to disable it completely faster than just killing otherwise there would be no point as killing it would be the better option.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

All fine points, but the gorge (for example) should be able to counter the freezing effect with his healing breath. I guess it would be easy to imagine that it's warm enough to unfreeze an alian faster than if left unatended. And the structures effect should be slower than the effects on alien lifeforms. For the rest I like your ideas!

+1
  • TimMcTimMc Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143945Members
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2031273:date=Nov 21 2012, 10:40 AM:name=Azaral)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Azaral @ Nov 21 2012, 10:40 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2031273"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Would be neat if the ice gun would disable alien structures. The more you spray it, the less effective it is until it is completely frozen at which point it is rendered 100% ineffectual. Freezing would also reduce healing equal to the percentage it is frozen. Also, increase damage equal to a percentage it is frozen maybe and have the ice gun do no damage by itself. Would have to disable it completely faster than just killing otherwise there would be no point as killing it would be the better option.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This would be cool. Make flamers and healspray remove ice.

Any freezeray against aliens should massively buff their HP, or may immortal. Ala vortex. However I am in general against anything that slows an alien down.
  • AzaralAzaral Join Date: 2012-11-19 Member: 172408Members
    Healspray increasing the thaw rate would be good. I was thinking along the lines that the aliens heal by means of self regeneration, heal spray and nutrient mist are basically catalysts for the self regeneration. If the alien/structure were getting frozen, its cellular metabolism would be slowing down so it would not be able to heal its' wounds as fast. It would be a good counter for crags and shades; run in and ice the support structures to make everything else more vulnerable to your buddies.
  • ImbalanxdImbalanxd Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104581Members
    edited November 2012
    Minigun/claw completely changes the way the exo operates, compared to the dual minigun version. That is, of course, if you actually intend on being useful in game.

The 50 res exo is essentially a more durable, melee range ARC. That's how I use them anyway. I typically rush exo with level 1 armour and just walk 2 or 3 right up to the hive and punch the ###### out of it, with light marines to cover.
  • SwiftspearSwiftspear Custim tital Join Date: 2003-10-29 Member: 22097Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2031197:date=Nov 21 2012, 11:42 AM:name=Luminoth)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Luminoth @ Nov 21 2012, 11:42 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2031197"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Icegun<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Something needs to be done with them.... I just don't think it's that. An ice gun would SERIOUSLY hurt all the lifeforms except skulk. It feels like a balance nightmare to me.
    <!--quoteo(post=2031608:date=Nov 21 2012, 10:53 PM:name=Swiftspear)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Swiftspear @ Nov 21 2012, 10:53 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2031608"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Something needs to be done with them.... I just don't think it's that. An ice gun would SERIOUSLY hurt all the lifeforms except skulk. It feels like a balance nightmare to me.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Why all the others and not the skulk? The skulk is pretty fast and if you have a skilled player, pretty mobile an sometimes even unstopaple. I've seen a skulk go head to head against three marines and get the three kills because he was jumping and runing in all directions, using walls and ceiling. I especially think that the icegun would be efective against them.

But since I suggested the effect to be proportional to the aliens mass it would be less efective against bigger lifeforms such as the onos and the gorge. The Fade could be imune to it while "blinking" and the Lerk could loose altitude instead of speed.

Anyway, I would like to see the exo be a motive for an alien to retreat like the onos does for marines. Right now no marine unit gives that "Oh sh**" feeling when you see it, except maybe the DB exo, but the onos AND the fade surely inspire me that when I encounter them, especially when the Fade has blink!