FOV and Sensitivty

LaxLax Join Date: 2012-11-21 Member: 172731Members
<div class="IPBDescription">Numbers instead of a Slider</div>Is their any way to see what your actual FOV or Sensitivty # is?
I like to keep the values the same from game to game if it's possible.

Comments

• JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2012
    It was possible with menumod, it might still be. I think fsfod uploaded the last working version of his menumod onto the workshop. A lot of the functionality that provided is now either out of date or doesn't work due to server consistency checking.

Agree completely that sliders are useless compared to a definable value.
  • lwflwf Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58311Members, Constellation
    %appdata%\Roaming\Natural Selection 2\system_options.xml
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    Not seeing an option for sensitivity in there.
  • LaxLax Join Date: 2012-11-21 Member: 172731Members
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2031150:date=Nov 21 2012, 06:50 AM:name=lwf)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (lwf @ Nov 21 2012, 06:50 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2031150"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->%appdata%\Roaming\Natural Selection 2\system_options.xml<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Didn't find a folder named "Roaming", but I found the system_options.xml in "%appdata%\Natural Selection 2"
    No sensitivity.
    All what's in there for fov is<!--c1--><div class='codetop'>CODE</div><div class='codemain'><!--ec1--><fov-adjustment>1.000000</fov-adjustment><!--c2--></div><!--ec2--> which just changes to<!--c1--><div class='codetop'>CODE</div><div class='codemain'><!--ec1--><fov-adjustment>0.000000</fov-adjustment><!--c2--></div><!--ec2-->when you set the slider all the way down.
  • lwflwf Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58311Members, Constellation
    Oh, right. Yes, that's the number representation of that bar. It's not the FOV in degrees but, like it says, an adjustment since the default FOV is different for each life form. It's not ideal.
  • RabidWeaselRabidWeasel Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5337Members
    I was pretty amazed to find that there was no way to mess with this via console. Why is it so hard to copy quake/half-life/etc when they're more or less empirically perfect in these areas? (also applies to keybinding, scripting, etc.)
    <!--quoteo(post=2031170:date=Nov 21 2012, 07:11 AM:name=lwf)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (lwf @ Nov 21 2012, 07:11 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2031170"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Oh, right. Yes, that's the number representation of that bar. It's not the FOV in degrees but, like it says, an adjustment since the default FOV is different for each life form. It's not ideal.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Didn't know each lifeform had a different FOV, would you happen to have the values?
    Also would setting the FOV adjustment to 0.000000 be default?
  • DghelneshiDghelneshi Aims to surpass Fana in post edits. Join Date: 2011-11-01 Member: 130634Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    The base values for FoV are as follows:
    <!--c1--><div class='codetop'>CODE</div><div class='codemain'><!--ec1-->Default = 90°
    Skulk = 105°
    Gorge/Exo = 95°
    Lerk = 100°<!--c2--></div><!--ec2-->
    The adjustment slider adds up to 20° on top of that.

The resulting value is then converted into a vertical FoV based on a 4:3 aspect ratio and back into a corresponding horizontal FoV value based on the actual aspect ratio of your resolution. This means that 16:9 and 16:10 users will get even higher FoVs while 5:4 users will get a bit less.

For example, the default FoV (90°) will be anywhere between 106° and 125° on a 16:9 monitor based on the FoV slider, while the skulk's FoV will range from 120° to 137°.

The sensitivity value can be seen and set in game by using the 'i_sensitivity x' console command (leave the x out to see what your current value is).

The reason why many things do not have console variables in NS2 is that it takes time to implement (especially if you keep changing stuff around) and does not help development workflow as most things can be changed on the fly with Lua hotloading. In other games you need the console commands to actually try stuff out during development, but in NS2 it's just not necessary and leaves less time for more important things.
  • PhOeNiX4PhOeNiX4 Join Date: 2004-08-26 Member: 30912Members
    no flash menumod was so good, being able to bind more keys is needed. It's probably been asked before but when/how can I get lastinv bound to Q? this is an extremely important key bind.

Also yes, sliders are useless, let us use a integer please.
    Thanks Dghelneshi, this helped a lot.
  • NeoRussiaNeoRussia Join Date: 2012-08-04 Member: 154743Members
    edited November 2012
    It's 2012 and game companies still do this, it's completely unacceptable especially with PC titles. Why even bother having an options menu in the first place when no one knows what everything is set to? It's frustrating for players and a waste of effort for developers, I am pretty much forced to use the console to set some of the settings only because sliders are missing their numbers.
  • tarquinbbtarquinbb Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166314Members
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2031213:date=Nov 21 2012, 03:57 PM:name=Dghelneshi)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dghelneshi @ Nov 21 2012, 03:57 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2031213"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The base values for FoV are as follows:
    <!--c1--><div class='codetop'>CODE</div><div class='codemain'><!--ec1-->Default = 90°
    Skulk = 105°
    Gorge/Exo = 95°
    Lerk = 100°<!--c2--></div><!--ec2-->
    The adjustment slider adds up to 20° on top of that.

The resulting value is then converted into a vertical FoV based on a 4:3 aspect ratio and back into a corresponding horizontal FoV value based on the actual aspect ratio of your resolution. This means that 16:9 and 16:10 users will get even higher FoVs while 5:4 users will get a bit less.

For example, the default FoV (90°) will be anywhere between 106° and 125° on a 16:9 monitor based on the FoV slider, while the skulk's FoV will range from 120° to 137°.

The sensitivity value can be seen and set in game by using the 'i_sensitivity x' console command (leave the x out to see what your current value is).

The reason why many things do not have console variables in NS2 is that it takes time to implement (especially if you keep changing stuff around) and does not help development workflow as most things can be changed on the fly with Lua hotloading. In other games you need the console commands to actually try stuff out during development, but in NS2 it's just not necessary and leaves less time for more important things.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

wait.... so marine is 90fov with the slider all the way to the left?
  • SteveRockSteveRock Join Date: 2012-10-01 Member: 161215Members, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer
    What Dg says is correct. The value you see for "fov-adjusment" in the XML is multiplied by 20 degrees and added to whatever your class's default FOV is.

Given that our FOV isn't constant, I'm not sure exactly what you'd want in a console command. but if you have a simple idea and if I have time I'll put it in.
    <!--quoteo(post=2031428:date=Nov 21 2012, 11:23 AM:name=SteveRock)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SteveRock @ Nov 21 2012, 11:23 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2031428"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What Dg says is correct. The value you see for "fov-adjusment" in the XML is multiplied by 20 degrees and added to whatever your class's default FOV is.

Given that our FOV isn't constant, I'm not sure exactly what you'd want in a console command. but if you have a simple idea and if I have time I'll put it in.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Sorry for the late response.
    I was just curious as to what my FOV was, maybe a number would pop up when you highlight the slider or just a number next to it.
    Or if it was a console command just something like "fov 90", and it would just put the slider at 0.000000. This gives the person assurance that the fov is 90 without them adjusting the slider and wondering what it's really set at.
  • elmo9000elmo9000 Join Date: 2012-03-24 Member: 149324Members
    Easy way would be to add "showfov" command and then "setfov" so you can set the multiplier and check the exact fov realtime. Ideally would like to have all the lifeforms/classes have individual fov settings that would start from 90 and allow you to set it all the way to the current max of each class. (90-110 for marine , 90-125 for skulk etc.)
  • minos_minos_ Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165722Members
    Most of this has been about FoV, but still on-topic: numbers to go along with mouse movement would be really nice. While NS2 has maybe more mouse options than anything I've seen in a decade, they aren't labeled with numbers, I have no idea what raw input does (Except that it feels much better, just can't get it going fast enough) and I can't seem to find a way to use a different sensitivity for marine and alien. Given how differently marine and alien play, I'm quite surprised that nobody else has a problem with having the same sensitivity for both.
    <!--quoteo(post=2032048:date=Nov 22 2012, 01:57 AM:name=minos_)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (minos_ @ Nov 22 2012, 01:57 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2032048"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Most of this has been about FoV, but still on-topic: numbers to go along with mouse movement would be really nice. While NS2 has maybe more mouse options than anything I've seen in a decade, they aren't labeled with numbers, I have no idea what raw input does (Except that it feels much better, just can't get it going fast enough) and I can't seem to find a way to use a different sensitivity for marine and alien. Given how differently marine and alien play, I'm quite surprised that nobody else has a problem with having the same sensitivity for both.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    As of right now you can see the number of your sensitivity by typing "i_sensitivity" in console and change it by putting a number after it. (ex. "i_sensitivity 5")
    You can also do this with acceleration by typing "i_accel" and change it the same way you change your sensitivity.
    From what i'm told you should always use Raw Input if the game has it (unless of course you use accel and it doesn't allow you that option). It's more consistent and responsive because your mouse movements pass directly to the game instead of your OS.

Personally I like the same sensitivity for FPS because I play it a lot, it feels a lot better when you know moving your hand a certain distance will always put you at a certain part of the screen, but as with all sensitivity options they are preference.