Remove the Onos

SiminiSimini Join Date: 2012-09-28 Member: 160916Members
<div class="IPBDescription">And instead give the Aliens another end game unit</div>Ok i'm speaking from the Alien side of things here, i can't be the only the only one who finds the Onos to be an incredibly tiresome uninteresting end game unit that only exist to make up the survivability issues of the the gorge, lerk and fade.

I believe the Onos is beyond saving now, there isn't much that can be done to increase the skill cap of the unit which right now is so low it practically doesn't exist, so here is a few things that i personally would prefer

- Remove the Onos completely, and instead make the Fade and Lerk more adequate for the end game because right now the Onos is the main thing making them so inadequate, they have a much higher skill ceilings as well making them far more fun to play.

- Remove the Onos completely and create a different more interesting end game unit that has a much higher skill cap, maybe replace it with a heavy flying unit or a snake like Alien unit that can use vents, just some suggestions.

I can't see how any real progress can be done on the Alien side of things as long as the Onos exists, the Onos is just a single minded bulldozer that any person can just pick up and play.

Comments

• EnFissionEnFission Join Date: 2012-11-14 Member: 170776Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    The onos does require skill, just not the same twitch type based skill associated with the other aliens. The skill required for onos is riding the thin line of doing as much damage as possible before running away without dying. If you are too cautious, you aren't beneficial enough to the team to matter, the other extreme is death and a giant waste of res. The dev team is still fixing other issues, and creating a new type of alien would take a ridiculous amount of time.
  • SiminiSimini Join Date: 2012-09-28 Member: 160916Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2029767:date=Nov 20 2012, 12:04 AM:name=EnFission)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (EnFission @ Nov 20 2012, 12:04 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2029767"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The onos does require skill, just not the same twitch type based skill associated with the other aliens. The skill required for onos is riding the thin line of doing as much damage as possible before running away without dying. If you are too cautious, you aren't beneficial enough to the team to matter, the other extreme is death and a giant waste of res. The dev team is still fixing other issues, and creating a new type of alien would take a ridiculous amount of time.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Do damage, run away, do damage, run away, that isn't skill, as you said it is just being cautious.

Yeah currently they have other priorities, but i believe sooner or later the Onos should be one of those priorities.
  • GORGEousGORGEous Join Date: 2012-02-19 Member: 146762Members, NS2 Map Tester
    edited November 2012
    I don't think the post is very constructive because it basically boils down to "remove the onos and then fix it." How are you going to fix it? How are you going to "make fade and lerk more adequate for the end game" without breaking them early/mid game? What is this different endgame unit that you would implement? How is he going to be better than the onos? How will have a higher skill cap than the onos?

Now I agree with the premise that the onos has a very low skill cap and that's bad, but there isn't any solution presented for this problem.
  • NSDigiNSDigi Join Date: 2010-04-23 Member: 71503Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2029752:date=Nov 20 2012, 12:51 AM:name=Simini)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Simini @ Nov 20 2012, 12:51 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2029752"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->... the Onos is just a single minded bulldozer that any person can just pick up and play.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd--><!--coloro:#2E8B57--><span style="color:#2E8B57"><!--/coloro-->Every game is created that way these days to suit the lazy gamer, unfortunate really ...<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
    <!--quoteo(post=2029779:date=Nov 20 2012, 12:13 AM:name=GORGEous)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GORGEous @ Nov 20 2012, 12:13 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2029779"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I don't think the post is very constructive because it basically boils down to "remove the onos and then fix it." How are you going to fix it? How are you going to "make fade and lerk more adequate for the end game" without breaking them early/mid game? What is this different endgame unit that you would implement? How is he going to be better than the onos? How will have a higher skill cap than the onos?

Now I agree with the premise that the onos has a very low skill cap and that's bad, but there isn't any solution presented for this problem.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Hell if i know, i just made this thread to share what i think about the Onos and how 1 dimensional it is.

May as well change the name and the description of the Onos to "i'm the best!" "bang! bang! run! run!"
  • cyhawkcyhawk Join Date: 2004-06-12 Member: 29256Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2029776:date=Nov 19 2012, 11:10 PM:name=Simini)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Simini @ Nov 19 2012, 11:10 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2029776"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Do damage, run away, do damage, run away, that isn't skill, as you said it is just being cautious.

Yeah currently they have other priorities, but i believe sooner or later the Onos should be one of those priorities.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Doing the most possible damage BEFORE running away is the difference between a good Onos and a bad one. A bad one does nothing to help the team, a good one can be instrumental in making the final push.

My only concern is the cost. 75 res is from NS1 when the entire team had shared res, it took much longer to get into an Onos than it does now. I would fully support upping the res cost to balance it out.
  • HazeHaze O RLY? Join Date: 2003-07-07 Member: 18018Members, Constellation
    Simmi you're oversimplifying the Onos, sorry. Enfission hit the nail on the head. Playing as an Onos is more like playing Dota than MGS, if that makes sense to anyone. It's about positioning, timing.
    <!--quoteo(post=2030422:date=Nov 20 2012, 01:34 PM:name=Haze)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Haze @ Nov 20 2012, 01:34 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2030422"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Simmi you're oversimplifying the Onos, sorry. Enfission hit the nail on the head. Playing as an Onos is more like playing Dota than MGS, if that makes sense to anyone. It's about positioning, timing.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It's still a little bit too easy to get use to, the gap that separates the veteran Onos players from the newbie players is so tiny, and has no real room to expand.

I mainly dislike the whole skulk - start, Onos - end Alien game design, it makes every game predictable no matter what new features you add for the Aliens to use.
  • SunspotsSunspots Join Date: 2009-08-02 Member: 68336Members
    edited November 2012
    I think the simplicity of the Onos fighting mechanics makes it more interesting to expand on a more tactical level.
    For example, using the Onos as an effective meat wall, moving strategically with your gorge, pushing and pulling marines, distraction, forcing beacons, etc...
    The Onos might feel like a meat head but in fact, due to it's high power/survivability and price, it becomes a more tactically-vital unit.
  • Vladimir Van VodkaVladimir Van Vodka Sexy Beast Join Date: 2010-07-30 Member: 73364Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=123155" target="_blank">As stated a million times before, and by others who share a common opinion</a>, Aliens need more viable siege mechanics.

End game is a snore and grind, no real way to sabotage or weaken marines successfully. Just pull out the tanky onos.
    Linear.

I can only think of bilebomb as somewhat effective, but it deals DoT instead of DD, you siege something, and marines can weld it back faster then you can damage it......
    Also the fact that you run out of energy before being able to destroy most types of structures, makes you extremely vulnerable even while destroying a single unguarded structure with bilebomb, if UWE <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=121873" target="_blank">could change the formula for adrenaline</a> it would be far more versatile for sieging and flash hit and runs similar to celerity and not feel like a lower sidegrade to regular energy <!--sizeo:1--><span style="font-size:8pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->(or downgrade since it takes up celerity's slot)<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--> without being overpowered as it used to be pre-capacity buff.
  • JoppeJoppe Join Date: 2012-11-21 Member: 172776Members
    This thread may blow but there is one great thing here. If they are going to be adding more lifeforms the next one could be some sort of massive basilisk/snake creature that can strangle people, go through vents etc. Thoughts?
  • LuminothLuminoth Join Date: 2012-11-16 Member: 171739Members
    To use an Onos you have to be as skillfull as to use a double barrel exo.

My point being that for 75res you don't want to have a unit with a high skillcap. Imagine newbies finaly getting those 75res together and evolving to your fictional skillintensive unit, they would quickly die wich is what happens with the lerk and the fade at first, but at least with them you don't waste 75res.
  • SwiftspearSwiftspear Custim tital Join Date: 2003-10-29 Member: 22097Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2031567:date=Nov 21 2012, 06:05 PM:name=Joppe)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Joppe @ Nov 21 2012, 06:05 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2031567"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This thread may blow but there is one great thing here. If they are going to be adding more lifeforms the next one could be some sort of massive basilisk/snake creature that can strangle people, go through vents etc. Thoughts?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I give this first post a 8/10. Not quite the scorpian that hovars, but solid execution in style and randomness!
  • OoziOozi Join Date: 2012-11-21 Member: 172771Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2031613:date=Nov 21 2012, 02:59 PM:name=Swiftspear)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Swiftspear @ Nov 21 2012, 02:59 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2031613"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Not quite the scorpian that hovars, but solid execution in style and randomness!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

We most definitely need some sort of scorpian that hovars without flappin'.

Paralyzing stinger ftw!