Why doesn't Onos eat marines anymore?

RedTalonRedTalon Join Date: 2012-11-14 Member: 171203Members
Why did uw remove onos ability to eat marines? Can someone give me a source from the devs?

My assumption is that they're making this game streamline so they didn't want the marines to wait too long hoping allies will gut them free. That's my guess though.

Comments

• GuspazGuspaz Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2862Members, Constellation
    The official word from the devs was that they removed it because it was terribly boring and frustrating for the players who got swallowed.
  • greenpeegreenpee Join Date: 2012-04-10 Member: 150218Members
    I don't know if there's a source out there somewhere, but I know for a fact that all throughout the beta they've said they didn't want to remove control from players (how fun was it to be digested for 30(?) seconds?). As far as I can think of the only control removers are Onos Stomp (2-3 second duration, tier 3 ability) and trapping someone in Bone Wall (destroyable, 6 second duration). There's a reason for that.
  • RMJRMJ Join Date: 2012-08-09 Member: 155190Members
    Its a real shame, there would be something wonderful gruesome seeing Onos eating a marine, then having it come out from its system 10 sec later as a skeleton corpse on the ground with blood and lots of guts. Oh well one can dream.
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    Its more annoying being stomped and unable to get back up than being digested by an onos.
    Just saying.
  • Shrike3OShrike3O Join Date: 2002-11-03 Member: 6678Members, Constellation
    edited November 2012
    I'm with Auro on that. Honestly, Devour was amusing to me in NS1, as a marine. I'm shooting, i'm running, and then SPHINCTER. And meanwhile your desperate teammates are chasing you, trying to save you. Admittedly this might have been because weapons came out of the team pool in NS1; i'm not sure we'd see the same urgency to save a shotgunner if he got eaten in NS2.

Want to give the marine more control? Let him use his axe/welder while devoured.
  • White_HawkeWhite_Hawke Join Date: 2002-11-27 Member: 10095Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2029355:date=Nov 19 2012, 06:59 PM:name=Shrike3O)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Shrike3O @ Nov 19 2012, 06:59 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2029355"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Want to give the marine more control? Let him use his axe/welder while devoured.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I like this idea. Devour is the most bemoaned missing feature by all of my friends that I play NS2 with.
  • MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    All the nanites were causing Onos tummy aches. :(

I don't think devour would be a good idea, it's just a free frag for the Onos. Unless it's reworked, so that it's either hard to pull off, or that the marine has a chance to escape it.

Devoured marine gets knife out - a minigame starts where he has to hit round objects in the Onos' belly in rapid succession - if he gets it right (this should be very hard) he escapes the belly and the Onos is stunned for 2 seconds. >:D
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    I'd love to see it back to be honest
  • RMJRMJ Join Date: 2012-08-09 Member: 155190Members
    edited November 2012
    devour also actually had a good strategy with it.

because lets say you have 3 onos, instead of now when you kill marines they respawn almost instantly, well in less than 10sec.

If you had 3 onos with devour, you could eat 3 marines thus taking them out of the game for maybe 30sec or 1 min. that would really help those turtle scenarios
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu Anememone Join Date: 2002-03-23 Member: 345Members
    The Onos mouth isn't big enough to fit a marine whole. Sorry.
  • purephoenixpurephoenix Join Date: 2012-11-17 Member: 172074Members
    edited November 2012
    Hated the idea? Nobody hated being devoured, except for the elitist ###### in |R18|. But then everybody hated them and onosed deliberately just to devour them.....

99% of players LOVED being devoured. They'd joke about it and carry on in all chat while they're getting devoured. It was one of the signs of a great community, seeing players VOLUNTARILY putting up with that.

EDIT: That wasn't intended to be aimed at the WHOLE |R18| clan btw, sorry zerg :>
  • MaximumSquidMaximumSquid Join Date: 2010-07-20 Member: 72593Members
    <u><b>RedTalon:</b></u>

Stomped or eaten. . . hmmmm

To be honest though I thought it was a pretty silly and OP ability in the first game

It would be like if Vortex did damage over time in addition to removing players
  • bERt0rbERt0r Join Date: 2005-03-23 Member: 46181Members
    In no way was devour OP. The onos now is op, way too much hp and it is way too easy to kill vanilla marines with it. I don't really understand what would be so bad about having a 30 second break once in a while. Sure it is "not fun" but thats like saying we remove the jail from monopoly because it is so frustrating. Devour was the most fun part of the onos and i miss it.
  • schkorpioschkorpio I can mspaint Join Date: 2003-05-23 Member: 16635Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2029354:date=Nov 20 2012, 10:56 AM:name=AuroN2)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (AuroN2 @ Nov 20 2012, 10:56 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2029354"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Its more annoying being stomped and unable to get back up than being digested by an onos.
    Just saying.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    really?
    30 seconds is a conservative estimate, if you have level 3 heavy armor in ns1 you'd be inside the onos for several minutes. it was so annoying that people would disconnect and reconnect to the server cause they didnt want to wait that long watching something not far off goatse.cx
  • ellnicellnic Join Date: 2010-07-19 Member: 72559Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Because sometimes, the onos just aint hungry
  • StardogStardog Join Date: 2004-10-25 Member: 32448Members
    It would be less boring if there was a skulk-like view for the marine, so you can still see what's happening from the onos's perspective.
  • |R18|Zerg|R18|Zerg Join Date: 2012-11-06 Member: 167745Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2029427:date=Nov 20 2012, 02:32 PM:name=purephoenix)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (purephoenix @ Nov 20 2012, 02:32 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2029427"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Hated the idea? Nobody hated being devoured, except for the elitist ###### in |R18|. But then everybody hated them and onosed deliberately just to devour them.....

99% of players LOVED being devoured. They'd joke about it and carry on in all chat while they're getting devoured. It was one of the signs of a great community, seeing players VOLUNTARILY putting up with that.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

:( huh?

I loved devour, celerity + charge through spawn, gulp a JP and bunny away... good times
  • WorthyRivalWorthyRival Black Armor Division Join Date: 2006-11-07 Member: 58470Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Last night I watched a commander drop a shift next to a onos who spammed stomp for about 2 minutes before he ran out of energy.
    4 Marines just laid there unable to do anything for the entire 2 minutes.

1 Devoured Marine for 20-30 seconds, dies, respawns
    Versus
    4 Marines immovable for 2 minutes then killed then added to respawn queue.

Taking out devour because it takes away 1 players control and is considered unfun.
    Replaces it with ability to take away more than just 1 players control not even slightly amusing.
    Good one Charlie good one.
  • unkindunkind Join Date: 2012-02-04 Member: 143563Members
    ya know why devour is a better idea than stomp? It isn't spammable, stomp is very, very spammable, and allows you to kill several marines FAST, devour has a built in cooldown, and would likely use 1/2+ of the onos's energy.

basically, devour would be more fun for all parties involved, stomp is horrible
  • SaniKSaniK Join Date: 2012-11-04 Member: 166850Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2029354:date=Nov 19 2012, 03:56 PM:name=AuroN2)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (AuroN2 @ Nov 19 2012, 03:56 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2029354"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Its more annoying being stomped and unable to get back up than being digested by an onos.
    Just saying.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

spam space bar to get up faster. Go mac go!
  • GorginatorGorginator Join Date: 2010-07-03 Member: 72241Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2029427:date=Nov 19 2012, 03:32 PM:name=purephoenix)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (purephoenix @ Nov 19 2012, 03:32 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2029427"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Hated the idea? Nobody hated being devoured, except for the elitist ###### in |R18|. But then everybody hated them and onosed deliberately just to devour them.....

99% of players LOVED being devoured. They'd joke about it and carry on in all chat while they're getting devoured. It was one of the signs of a great community, seeing players VOLUNTARILY putting up with that.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I kind of agree. NS2 is one of those few games where losing is actually fun "WHILE" the game itself isn't mindless (there are strategies to do and lots of team coordination).

There are few (multiplayer) games where losing multiple times in a row is fun. NS1 and NS2 are one of those rare multiplayer games where losing can be really fun.

Getting devourer then calling your teammates to chase the onos is always fun.

As someone who is not devourer but seeing a fellow marine devourer, trying to save the marine is also fun.

And finally as the Onos, it's also fun.

Fun for everyone!
  • kk20kk20 Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164592Members
    have the onos lose charge if devouring. Have health tick down at a steady rate and added to the onos health (20 per tick 5 seconds?) plus it wouldnt work on exos now so no more heavy snacks.

In flight meals would still be valid though.
  • Dark_DragonDark_Dragon Join Date: 2007-12-21 Member: 63229Members, Constellation
    Isn't Vortex the ns2 "replacement" to devour? Doesn't heal the fade and lasts less, but it still takes the marine out of the fight.
  • VeNeMVeNeM Join Date: 2002-07-13 Member: 928Members
    i wouldnt mind devour if it werent for the fact that you can devour from so far away. its so disorientating seeing that youre clearly out of the reach of the onos but then youre instantly devoured. client side hitreg instakill shouldnt be introduced.
  • HazeHaze O RLY? Join Date: 2003-07-07 Member: 18018Members, Constellation
    Devouring was the most unfun thing for a Marine, no thanks.
  • purephoenixpurephoenix Join Date: 2012-11-17 Member: 172074Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2029753:date=Nov 20 2012, 05:23 PM:name=Gorginator)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Gorginator @ Nov 20 2012, 05:23 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2029753"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I kind of agree. NS2 is one of those few games where losing is actually fun "WHILE" the game itself isn't mindless (there are strategies to do and lots of team coordination).

There are few (multiplayer) games where losing multiple times in a row is fun. NS1 and NS2 are one of those rare multiplayer games where losing can be really fun.

Getting devourer then calling your teammates to chase the onos is always fun.

As someone who is not devourer but seeing a fellow marine devourer, trying to save the marine is also fun.

And finally as the Onos, it's also fun.

Fun for everyone!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This! Also, wasn't aiming my comment at ALL the |R18| players zerg, editted my post to be clearer :>
  • TimariusTimarius Join Date: 2012-11-15 Member: 171220Members
    I said it once, I'll say it again... some of my best times in Natural Selection were had playing the damsel in distress. Or in this case, the marine in the Onos belly.

"He ate me! OH GOD, HE ATE ME! SAVE ME! What are you doing? FOLLOW HIM, KILL HIM! SAVE MEEEEE! I'm dead. Great job, guys. Great hustle."
  • JuomariJuomari Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167141Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2029357:date=Nov 19 2012, 05:01 PM:name=White_Hawke)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (White_Hawke @ Nov 19 2012, 05:01 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2029357"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I like this idea. Devour is the most bemoaned missing feature by all of my friends that I play NS2 with.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

yeah, great idea, let's give onoses their skillback so they would never use it.

because no one would eat marine after that, someone axing onos = no regen during that time, you underestimate dmg axe does, if you're digested 15sec you can almost kill onos solo that way etc.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2029427:date=Nov 19 2012, 09:32 PM:name=purephoenix)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (purephoenix @ Nov 19 2012, 09:32 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2029427"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Hated the idea? Nobody hated being devoured, except for the elitist ###### in |R18|. But then everybody hated them and onosed deliberately just to devour them.....

99% of players LOVED being devoured. They'd joke about it and carry on in all chat while they're getting devoured. It was one of the signs of a great community, seeing players VOLUNTARILY putting up with that.

EDIT: That wasn't intended to be aimed at the WHOLE |R18| clan btw, sorry zerg :><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

WRONG

I wasn't in R18 and I bloody HATED devour. MOST. BORING. THING. EVER. In my personal opinion, NS1 was fantastic... until they brought in devour. That pretty much killed the game for me.

I was so happy to see it out of NS2 and would strongly support all manner of inaction on this topic!!

Any post starting with "wouldn't it be great if" should be auto-deleted by the forum software tbh :)

Roo
  • bERt0rbERt0r Join Date: 2005-03-23 Member: 46181Members
    edited November 2012
    What is so bad about getting a break for a minute? Go take a piss, grab a drink, shout at your teammates. Why is there a need for constant action, all the time?
    Yes, the moments when you get devoured can be frustrating. But this emotion is something that makes the game stand out. Look at Dark Souls for example. The game is ridiculously hard and you die a myriad of deaths. But that is its appeal. This easy going COD mentality of automatic health regen, instant respawn without any punishment is whats making games less impressive.
    I for myself could use a few more seconds to respawn to calm my rage sometimes and the thougt of the onos crapping me out somwhere always brought a smile on my face :D.