Gorges need loving too!

SolaritySolarity Join Date: 2012-11-13 Member: 170515Members, Reinforced - Shadow
It is amazing how a gorge can help the team get off to a great start by helping build harvesters and hives. They also help keep the onos alive and can make and break a game. The only problem it seems like it is a thankless job in relation to score. You don't get any points for boosting build time, healing people or structures. I gorge most of the game and when I went onos at one point no one was going gorge to keep me healed. We downed the power node but I died before I could make my way out to get healed by the hive. :(

Also it seems like the hydras are a little weak, I think I kill more rines with healspray than I do hyrdas.

Comments

• grizzlyyygrizzlyyy Join Date: 2012-10-09 Member: 161924Members
  • SopsSops Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17894Members, Constellation
    Score matters to people?

But I would like to see the hydra limit increased or removed, it was added when hydras were free, they aren't free anymore so I think it is fair to play with the numbers a bit.
  • KaXaSAKaXaSA Join Date: 2010-05-22 Member: 71841Members
    edited November 2012
    i really miss the old gorge :(

also 3 hydra limit is awful... not to mention that it also cost res -_-
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    They do and have been in need for a long time now, but so far they remain ignored. It'd be a great start if hydra maturation actually made hydras more potent, so they're still somewhat useful lategame at least, or if the cap was increased to 4, or if gorges were made a little tankier, or if they were given new abilitiies, etc.
  • MMZ_TorakMMZ_Torak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 3770Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2030144:date=Nov 20 2012, 11:04 AM:name=KaXaSA)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (KaXaSA @ Nov 20 2012, 11:04 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2030144"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->i really miss the old gorges :(<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This. Granted "Walls of Lame" deserved their name, but at least it made gorging more fun, and a good GL was easily capable of taking them down.

Hoping for some gorge loving too...
  • PHJFPHJF Join Date: 2005-07-13 Member: 55898Members
    Well we are supposed to be getting web back, but likely at three hives when it won't do any good.
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Hydras costing res is fine, but yeah the 3 limit is strange. It's not fun for the Gorge, he already feels like he doesn't have much to do sometimes without being hydra-capped. The res cost should be sufficient to mitigate spam.
  • MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    I think Gorges are great, just people not using them correctly, as Gorges and as other lifeforms.

As Gorges you should definitely battlegorge more (ESPECIALLY if you're dedicated to gorge the whole game, so you can afford to lose 10 res to regorge when you want) as Skulks you should run along the gorge, if he's an advanced super battlegorge he will soak some bullets for you, while healing you and himself. HE'S NOT AS FAST AS YOU, so you have to regulate your pace to his. But 2 skulks and 1 Gorge, especially with Cara, is like an unstoppable zerg in pubs. Spam that space and healspray like mad and you're never going down.
  • kk20kk20 Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164592Members
    gorges should be able to build cysts at 1pres each
  • SiminiSimini Join Date: 2012-09-28 Member: 160916Members
    UWE said the gorge has a few more toys currently on the way, one of those toys is the ability to build tunnels.

Yeah Hydras are pretty useless and so are clogs, especially when Grenade Launchers come in to play as they just wreck everything the gorge has including the gorge.

It would be nice if the gorge could build 1 whip to deflect grenades, but i don't see UWE doing that.

Yeah all evolution unit abilities should be able to be researched from the start of the game, that need 2 hives need 3 hives whatever is just so horrible.
  • ShahnazShahnaz Join Date: 2012-11-12 Member: 170201Members
    Hydras are weaker than sentries, cost Pres and aim like crap. If they had the aim of sentries they would be perfect.

Seriously, a A0 W0 Marine shoudn't be able to charge in 3 Hydras and a Gorge and kill everything.
  • Samus1111111Samus1111111 Join Date: 2012-08-07 Member: 154930Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Gorges are getting some love.... eventually....

Devs have said that gorge tunnels are in internal testing, but I wouldn't expect to see any serious gorge love until that 3 month content patch...

*sad gorgy face*
  • VeNeMVeNeM Join Date: 2002-07-13 Member: 928Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2030166:date=Nov 20 2012, 11:20 AM:name=kk20)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (kk20 @ Nov 20 2012, 11:20 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2030166"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->gorges should be able to build cysts at 1pres each<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    was removed

was "OP"
  • turtsmcgurtturtsmcgurt Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165456Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Has the gorge primary attack been fixed yet or no? There's been two updates since videos came out proving it.
  • 1stToast1stToast Join Date: 2007-12-02 Member: 63067Members
    I think that hydras are just too easy to kill. It would be nice as a gorge to have an indicator when one is killed if you are away healing something. Then you could drop another one. It would be interesting if clogs were elastic so Onos could step on them and flatten them to get through a doorway and they would return to the original shape. Grenades would bounce off of them at an angle depending on the angle of contact. Like throwing a golf ball at a beach ball.
  • BVKnightBVKnight Join Date: 2012-02-26 Member: 147496Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2029614:date=Nov 19 2012, 11:45 PM:name=Solarity)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Solarity @ Nov 19 2012, 11:45 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2029614"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The only problem it seems like it is a thankless job in relation to score. You don't get any points for boosting build time, healing people or structures.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Make gorge lifeforms accumulate +1 score every 5 seconds that they are alive. Let's face it, they've already got a bulls eye painted on their cute little bellies, so staying alive is no easy task.
  • DoppyDoppy Join Date: 2006-11-15 Member: 58624Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    What I would like is another structure, similar to a Crag or a Shift, that aids the Gorge in taking care of his Hydras. Maybe a mixture of the two?

Better yet, just allow the Gorge to build Crags, Shifts, and Shades. :)
  • marsvinmarsvin Join Date: 2011-03-22 Member: 87920Members
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2029614:date=Nov 20 2012, 06:45 AM:name=Solarity)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Solarity @ Nov 20 2012, 06:45 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2029614"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You don't get any points for boosting build time, healing people or structures.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

FWIW you do get points for completing a structure. But you have to get in the last spray, if it completes through natural growth (even if you've been healing it all along) you get nothing ^^ I wouldn't say clogs are useless either. Well competitively maybe, but on pubs they can work pretty nicely.

Even so, yeah the gorges could use some lovin'. Best/easiest idea seems to me to let them build support structures with pres.