Would pre-loading on start reduce level load times?

RokiyoRokiyo A.K.A. .::FeX::. Revenge Join Date: 2002-10-10 Member: 1471Members, Constellation
<div class="IPBDescription">eg Non-level-specific textures for players & buildings</div>Some games do some loading when you first start it up, and then some more loading when you go into a level. I imagine that by splitting the loading of NS2 into two separate phases, we'll at the very least be reducing the perception of level load times.

For example, the textures and models for marine and alien players, structures and UI overlays could be candidates for early loading. This stuff accounts for a good 30% of the hard drive space consumed by NS2, so I would expect loading into into memory would require a proportional amount of time.

This would have little or no net impact on the total amount of time it takes for you to enter your first game, but I would expect it to have some impact on the load times of subsequent map changes. Additionally, by splitting the loading into two distinct phases and requiring user input inbetween each phase, users would be likely to perceive shorter overall loading times as they'd be likely to count each load phase seperately.

Comments

• SavantSavant Join Date: 2002-11-30 Member: 10289Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    I'd love this. I often ask myself the same thing... Why not load what we can when the game is launched while I'm checking out the available games? Even if it is only 15 seconds saved, that's 15 seconds less I wait to get in a game.
  • TimMcTimMc Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143945Members
    I've said this a few times. While I am browsing servers it would be nice if the precaching started to load. I run NS2 on an energy efficient drive (SSD is my boot), so it takes forever to load all those files.
  • SopsSops Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17894Members, Constellation
    I haven't understood these complains so I timed it, after just launching NS2 I was able to connect to a server and load docking in 62 seconds. Is this now considered unreasonable load times?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Join Date: 2005-05-15 Member: 51659
    What does it have to do with reasonable or unreasonable. If there's a way to make it faster it shouldn't simply be tried out? Do we have anything to lose?
  • ZenoZeno Join Date: 2007-09-05 Member: 62183Members
    I don't understand these complains either...the game loads approx. in the same time as the source engine loads its maps. Actually its even faster thatn L4D.
    <!--quoteo(post=2030366:date=Nov 20 2012, 02:48 PM:name=Krull)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Krull @ Nov 20 2012, 02:48 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2030366"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What does it have to do with reasonable or unreasonable. If there's a way to make it faster it shouldn't simply be tried out? Do we have anything to lose?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I would actually rather it take 60 seconds to load a map then 30 seconds to load the menu.
  • ArgathorArgathor Join Date: 2011-07-18 Member: 110942Members, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=2030363:date=Nov 20 2012, 07:44 PM:name=Sops)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sops @ Nov 20 2012, 07:44 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2030363"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I haven't understood these complains so I timed it, after just launching NS2 I was able to connect to a server and load docking in 62 seconds. Is this now considered unreasonable load times?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    During b185 I was loaded into maps 2seconds after clicking on the server (On an SSD). For those of us that experienced that and now have to wait 30+ seconds it is awful. I have no idea what they did to totally ruin the loading process, but it must have been a heroic effort from someone really *talented*.
  • CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2030363:date=Nov 20 2012, 08:44 PM:name=Sops)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sops @ Nov 20 2012, 08:44 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2030363"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I haven't understood these complains so I timed it, after just launching NS2 I was able to connect to a server and load docking in 62 seconds. Is this now considered unreasonable load times?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Depends on what other loading times you are used to. Source Engine games always have terrible loading times. Those in TF2 have actually been "optimized" already and are still long.
    Unreal Engine games load maps incredibly fast compared to that. A level of the complexity of NS2 maps would only take approximately 10 seconds to load there. Large scaled UT2k4 Onslaught maps load in about 3-5 seconds on my HDD.
  • RokiyoRokiyo A.K.A. .::FeX::. Revenge Join Date: 2002-10-10 Member: 1471Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=2030363:date=Nov 21 2012, 05:44 AM:name=Sops)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sops @ Nov 21 2012, 05:44 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2030363"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I haven't understood these complains so I timed it, after just launching NS2 I was able to connect to a server and load docking in 62 seconds. Is this now considered unreasonable load times?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->Considering that I have the game installed on a Sata3, and that I'm running an i7 2700K, I would expect this game to load as quickly as just about any other game I play (ie, in less than 5 seconds).

Then again, it may be an issue with my system, because by the time I normally finish loading after a map change, the round is already well under way and I'm treated as a late-joiner (waiting to spawn at IP/egg, missing out on initial res ticks, etc).
  • MouseMouse The Lighter Side of Pessimism Join Date: 2002-03-02 Member: 263Members, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I wonder how horrible/infeasible it'd be to stream common assets in the background while the main menu is up.
    <!--quoteo(post=2030515:date=Nov 20 2012, 04:54 PM:name=Rokiyo)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rokiyo @ Nov 20 2012, 04:54 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2030515"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Considering that I have the game installed on a Sata3, and that I'm running an i7 2700K, I would expect this game to load as quickly as just about any other game I play (ie, in less than 5 seconds).

Then again, it may be an issue with my system, because by the time I normally finish loading after a map change, the round is already well under way and I'm treated as a late-joiner (waiting to spawn at IP/egg, missing out on initial res ticks, etc).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I have a SATA2 HDD and I am always one of the first players loaded into the map.
  • tarquinbbtarquinbb Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166314Members
    i had <60 sec loading times a couple of weeks ago.

then i defragmented my HDD and got a new hd7950.

now, my loading time is 2-3 minutes. usually when i spawn into the game i get instakilled by marines because they're already attacking the hive.
  • RokiyoRokiyo A.K.A. .::FeX::. Revenge Join Date: 2002-10-10 Member: 1471Members, Constellation
    I think I managed to reduce my loading times a little bit by significantly reducing the size of my page file (it is sitting on a spinning metal hard-drive, unlike NS2 which is on the SSD). I didn't time it, so I can't quantify the difference, but it felt immediately noticeable.

Can't help but wonder if there's some aggressive paging occuring during NS2 loads?
  • maD maXmaD maX Join Date: 2010-01-28 Member: 70347Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2030374:date=Nov 20 2012, 07:57 PM:name=Sops)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sops @ Nov 20 2012, 07:57 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2030374"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I would actually rather it take 60 seconds to load a map then 30 seconds to load the menu.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This...
  • CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester
    edited November 2012
    I would rather have it take 30 seconds to load the menu than n * (x + 30) seconds throughout the game, where x is the loading time without the permanent assets and n the number of maps I play in that session.

Or are you guys starting the game so often without intending to play on a map?
  • sumguy720sumguy720 Join Date: 2011-02-09 Member: 81101Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2030563:date=Nov 20 2012, 11:37 PM:name=Mouse)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mouse @ Nov 20 2012, 11:37 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2030563"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I wonder how horrible/infeasible it'd be to stream common assets in the background while the main menu is up.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yeah I hope it wouldn't be too much of either of those. The game opens so quickly, if the time I spent looking for a server could also be used for loading that would just be great.