Vote to Surrender

DullahanDullahan Join Date: 2012-11-19 Member: 172360Members
So I've played a few games now where the general mood of the team was that we were in an unwinnable position and were just waiting for the other team to reach a critical mass of competence and finish us off. Commander recycling is one avenue teams have to end the game but I've seen instances where it caused arguments because it's one player deciding for the entire team. The other option people employ is simply going to the ready room but it's easy to see a situation where a chunk of the team doesn't want to give up or is too new to the game to realize what is going on and while that will likely hasten the end of the game it doesn't feel proper to have half the team in the ready room while a handful of unlucky sobs are stuck dying repeatedly. (It more than likely turns a few players away from the game)

The easy solution to this is to provide some sort of "vote to surrender" option. Hence the thread title. The mechanics of such a feature aren't really too important and I'll leave it to the more competitively oriented players to debate the minute functionality; just wanted to throw the idea out here although I'd assume it's likely been suggested before.

Comments

• rantologyrantology Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143750Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    Hitting F4 and waiting for the game to end is the best surrender vote you have.
  • DullahanDullahan Join Date: 2012-11-19 Member: 172360Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2029102:date=Nov 19 2012, 12:44 PM:name=rantology)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rantology @ Nov 19 2012, 12:44 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2029102"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Hitting F4 and waiting for the game to end is the best surrender vote you have.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

As I said, this is less than ideal because if there's a portion of the team that doesn't do this, it creates a really bad game experience for them.
  • BlindgaBlindga Join Date: 2012-10-21 Member: 162931Members
    It's only a problem when nobody says anything about it.

When the com just tosses all of his stuff without a word as to why, then yeah people are going to get mad at him. When a bunch of people go to the ready room without saying anything, then yeah it will confuse some new players.

If I ever did this (Although I haven't yet) Then I would say "Guys, I'm going to surrender, is that ok?" If people don't like it and just want to have fun getting killed then I'll sit back and wait for the game to end.

You can add a vote system all you want, but since you can't change the game's mechanics to prevent ready room surrendering, or recycle surrendering, then you will always have people do this regardless of whether or not you can vote on it.
  • HazeHaze O RLY? Join Date: 2003-07-07 Member: 18018Members, Constellation
    F4 is already in the game, devs need not waste time on implementing vote functions that serve no new purpose. I always ask/tell my team I'm going to F4.
  • JWillJWill Join Date: 2012-12-23 Member: 176057Members
    This would be a nice feature. F4 doesn't work, because it's forcing your teammates to play with less people. The idea of votes is to only commit to the action if X% want it. I never use F4 to 'vote' to surrender because it means I have to sit around in the spectators room, and it feels like ragequitting.

In the community for Starcraft, an RTS game, over 99% of games are ended by surrender. It's considered courteous to surrender rather than make your opponent slowly and painstakingly kill you by elimination. I feel the same sort of thing applies to NS2 because of its strategy elements. It's very possible to be in a completely unwinnable game state for tens of minutes, but you have to play out the game. This wastes the time of both sides, and is very frustrating to the losers.
  • DrowningwDrowningw Join Date: 2012-12-22 Member: 175899Members
    edited December 2012
    its a horrible feature. i've played a few games today on a server that had this implemented. every time the game wasn't going well for the first 5 mins for one side, they would vote surrender.....

it took us 5 games of 10-15 mins of "failing" until all the crybabies ended up on the same team and won, I guess.

i repeat, PLEASE NEVER MAKE THIS OFFICIAL. there's no way to learn the game. the best things the game taught me was fighting against all odds. solo'ing an onos until backup, 1v1 shotttie agaanst a fully leveled fade, etc.

nubs will never get better if the cry babies always restart when they fail the first resource rush.

its like giving someone an option to work or get paid for nothing, of course most won't do ######, same with losing in this game, lets surrender.

you will end up will l4d if you allow too much voting. that game is sooo easy to grief with votes.
  • soccerguy243soccerguy243 Join Date: 2012-12-22 Member: 175920Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    so if 45% of a team votes to surrender they are forced to play a round they don't want to? So those that did want to play on still get a crap match but most likely will lose and wastes time.

F4 is the best option.
  • d0ped0gd0ped0g Join Date: 2003-05-25 Member: 16679Members
    edited December 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2051204:date=Dec 25 2012, 10:58 PM:name=soccerguy243)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (soccerguy243 @ Dec 25 2012, 10:58 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2051204"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->so if 45% of a team votes to surrender they are forced to play a round they don't want to? So those that did want to play on still get a crap match but most likely will lose and wastes time.

F4 is the best option.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

If less than 50% don't want to surrender, there's a high possibility the match is still winnable. There's already a problem with people prematurely calling for an F4, and if even a small minority follows suit, it ruins it for the people who want to play. Vote for surrender is better because a minority opinion on how the game is going doesn't ruin things for the majority, for both people who want to surrender (by forcing people to play on in an unwinnable game) and people who don't (by eliminating the opportunity for a comeback in a game the majority still percieves winnable).

Sure the majority isn't always right, but it's better than having a couple f4'ers decide it for everybody else. Thankfully, my experience of the Australasian community is that they tend to know the difference between a completely unwinnable game and when good teamwork can still turn the tables. Though every time I jumped on the US servers during the beta (haven't needed to since release due to more servers), and even back in ns1, I noticed most people were far too quick to f4. I'm glad the same sort of attitude isn't popular where I play.