UWE Gave Aliens The Shaft

grizzlyyygrizzlyyy Join Date: 2012-10-09 Member: 161924Members
edited November 2012 in Ideas and Suggestions
I mean honestly. Some things needed to be changed. But you went out of your way to put Aliens in the same position as Marines were in. All marines have to do now is tech GL's and jetpacks before Aliens have a 3rd hive up and it's GG. Even before the first Onos is out from client resources. It's rediculous. You nerfed shift so it costs 5 res to spawn 2 eggs ever 3-5 seconds. I agreed with the 3 hive Onos egg drop, but you didn't make the necessary changes to Marines to ensure balance. Now every pub is filled with a GL + Jetpack spam before Aliens have a chance at anything. Not to mention the resource node changes you made in many maps in favour of the marines I might add. Not one Marine node was changed but all of a sudden Alien nodes are suddenly gone or moved to harder locations to obtain. I mean honestly what were you thinking. Your balance changes weren't based off of statistics, that we know. It's obvious you gave into the Rookie Marine's insolent whining. Well I guess I'll be hopping on Marines now to join the GL + Jetpack spamathon.

Comments

• Ellen RipleyEllen Ripley Join Date: 2012-11-06 Member: 167803Members
    You know what you might wanna try? Kill the marines with the launchers. I know, I know, this is a radical idea. Trust me, they're just as crunchy and tasty as the rest.

(Hint: If you can't catch them, try eating their face off with a a lerk! Jetpack marine with launcher costs 35 rez. Lerk costs 30. Spore their landing zone then bite them while they're clinging to the ceiling. Better yet, if they try to fly off, just bite them on the ass until they're dead! You're faster than they are.)
  • PsympleJesterPsympleJester Join Date: 2008-04-06 Member: 64024Members
    Seems better than it was with early onos to me...
    They finally do something the community wanted for a really long time and your still complaining?

Sure fade still needs and buff and gl needs alterations but... really?
    Lol... If you didn't realize Onos egg was a crutch early and didn't expect there to be this problem as soon as it was removed you shouldn't be making suggestions.
  • yehawmcgrawyehawmcgraw Join Date: 2012-09-16 Member: 159694Members
    @Ellen: Please no "Just play better" or "Just learn to play" posts....

How I see it:
    Before Last Patch: Fairly even game play (rare as before this point was marine domination)
    Last patch- Regen was broken in aliens favor, dramatically. Aliens win dramatically.
    This patch: Nerf Regen AND 10 other dimensions of the alien team, to address imbalance previously created JUST by regen.

Am I wrong to see this is an overreaction? Only regen needed fixed.

Granted It's good that onos egg problem is finally being addressed and we need to start somewhere. But such a dramatic nerf to shift eggs? Really? Granted that you fix regen, and take away onos power and 9 other things from the aliens, shouldn't you give something back?
  • HazeHaze O RLY? Join Date: 2003-07-07 Member: 18018Members, Constellation
    edited November 2012
    Shift eggs is more of a pub play change than anything.

Does anyone realize that these guys made NS1? Then built their own F'n engine, built NS2 from the ground up? I'm almost always in favor of their opinions on balance than anyone else's, outside of diehard competitive players or long time pubbers (pubbers just because it is a legitimately different playstyle than competitive, so the game can play differently). Most of the time though it's just a kneejerk reaction. We are going to see 20 more patches before we get a perfect game. Just have fun, something wrong with that?
  • PsympleJesterPsympleJester Join Date: 2008-04-06 Member: 64024Members
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2030287:date=Nov 20 2012, 06:49 PM:name=yehawmcgraw)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (yehawmcgraw @ Nov 20 2012, 06:49 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2030287"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Granted It's good that onos egg problem is finally being addressed and we need to start somewhere. But such a dramatic nerf to shift eggs? Really? Granted that you fix regen, and take away onos power and 9 other things from the aliens, shouldn't you give something back?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Nah dude you so crazy...
    For 15 res Marines get an IP for infinite spawns.
    For 15 res Aliens get 2 eggs yo...

Totally balanced fool, do you not work in the UWE balance department... Are you completely foolish when it comes to balance?

So me and my bro'nies were in a pub earlier yeah... and we were like... yeah boys we haz like one egg yo and 12 of us is dead innit... This moffo comm needs to learn how to spend his res man... This moffo comm needs ejecting because he wont spend 60 pres to get us all eggs so we can live again innit yo... The dude comm got ejected for being a noob and only having 13 res when we needed 40 to get eggs for the entire team...

Ya know what, maybe a bron'y balance idea if you was like crazy and shize would be to make da 5 res upgrade for a shift permenantly spawn eggs like a hive yo.... like a IP innit bruv... it would be balanced yeah... but asymetrical and shize like the big bro boys at UWE like n shize.... I think we might be onto summin here innit bruvs.
  • yehawmcgrawyehawmcgraw Join Date: 2012-09-16 Member: 159694Members
    @Jester Lolwhut?
    @Haze Well what is the point of even having a user forum if only the devs' opinion should count? Coming to an "ideas and suggestions forum" to say that people should stop suggesting their oppinions?
  • grizzlyyygrizzlyyy Join Date: 2012-10-09 Member: 161924Members
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2030231:date=Nov 20 2012, 09:55 AM:name=grizzlyyy)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (grizzlyyy @ Nov 20 2012, 09:55 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2030231"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><strike>I mean honestly. Some things needed to be changed. But you went out of your way to put Aliens in the same position as Marines were in. All marines have to do now is tech GL's and jetpacks before Aliens have a 3rd hive up and it's GG. Even before the first Onos is out from client resources. It's rediculous. You nerfed shift so it costs 5 res to spawn 2 eggs ever 3-5 seconds.</strike> <u><b>I agreed with the 3 hive Onos egg drop, but you didn't make the necessary changes to Marines to ensure balance.</b></u> <strike>Now every pub is filled with a GL + Jetpack spam before Aliens have a chance at anything. Not to mention the resource node changes you made in many maps in favour of the marines I might add. Not one Marine node was changed but all of a sudden Alien nodes are suddenly gone or moved to harder locations to obtain. I mean honestly what were you thinking. Your balance changes weren't based off of statistics, that we know. It's obvious you gave into the Rookie Marine's insolent whining. Well I guess I'll be hopping on Marines now to join the GL + Jetpack spamathon.</strike><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--quoteo(post=2030265:date=Nov 20 2012, 10:28 AM:name=Ellen Ripley)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ellen Ripley @ Nov 20 2012, 10:28 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2030265"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You know what you might wanna try? Kill the marines with the launchers. I know, I know, this is a radical idea. Trust me, they're just as crunchy and tasty as the rest.

(Hint: If you can't catch them, try eating their face off with a a lerk! Jetpack marine with launcher costs 35 rez. Lerk costs 30. Spore their landing zone then bite them while they're clinging to the ceiling. Better yet, if they try to fly off, just bite them on the ass until they're dead! You're faster than they are.)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The problem is you don't read a post in it's entirety before vomiting your terrible attitude all over my thread. And no alien class is faster than jetpacking marines except for Fade. Which you need 2 hives to spawn egg and 50 res to purchase. Most people do not go Fade anymore because of the drastic changes to Onos and that the only chance for a somewhat early Onos 8 to 10 minutes is if a player saves his personal res for it. This being said it's much too easy for Marines to tech GL's and Jetpacks before Aliens get a foothold on some actual decent upgrades or evolutions. The 2 hive Onos egg is what prevented this and now that it's gone the tables have turned on the Aliens and we're back to square one, just a different team.
  • SiminiSimini Join Date: 2012-09-28 Member: 160916Members
    Marines have a rail gun for the exo to look forward to as well, i believe all the Aliens have to look forward to is gorge tunnels (which i am exited for) but it really is something Aliens should have had before the release.

I hope us Aliens get something equally as useful/powerful as the exo rail gun.
  • HazeHaze O RLY? Join Date: 2003-07-07 Member: 18018Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=2030354:date=Nov 20 2012, 02:39 PM:name=grizzlyyy)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (grizzlyyy @ Nov 20 2012, 02:39 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2030354"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This being said it's much too easy for Marines to tech GL's and Jetpacks before Aliens get a foothold on some actual decent upgrades or evolutions. The 2 hive Onos egg is what prevented this and now that it's gone the tables have turned on the Aliens and we're back to square one, just a different team.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Sounds about right.
    I'm glad some intelligent people actually agree. And here I was thinking this thread was going to be overrun by Marine rookies.
    Ah yes, how dare I offer advice. Forgive me for my terrible attitude! 53 hours played since launch, 50% time spent on each side. I certainly couldn't be speaking from experience or anything.

I'll grant you that grenade launchers can be cheap when fired at the feet of exos, but you're talking about jetpacks and launchers on their own.

Jetpacks require an advanced armory, two command stations, prototype lab, and research. That's quite awhile into the game, and most comms underestimate their usefulness and neglect them in favor of early exos. Until recently, aliens typically had Onos long before marines ever got jetpacks, and having that prototype lab sniped was a real threat. That said, they could probably stand to have the p.res cost upped to 15 or 20 to make them less disposable.

Seriously though, as a lerk you should not have trouble chasing down a jetpack marine, especially one with a launcher, using spikes and bites. The problem is that until recently, a lot of people didn't play lerks. Or fades for that matter. Why bother when you got Onos so fast? Being underplayed means the skill level of pub lerks and fades is only now starting to go up significantly.

The balance really has not been shifted as dramatically as the OP suggests. Patch 229 we lost the vast majority of matches as marines yet won without even trying as aliens. Patch 230 aliens are much more on the level with marines and my recent matches have been about even. Some tweaks surely need to be made, but the ridiculous imbalance was most definitely not thrown to the other side.

You'll have to forgive my snarkiness. I'm just a tad irritated with all the whining from the people who think all the aliens should be tanks, rather than learn to use their speed and manueverability to their advantage. As for the resource node changes you mentioned, I honestly haven't noticed them. Are they documented anywhere?
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Does anyone realize that these guys made NS1?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Ns1 had multiple people balancing it, and was pretty terrible balance-wise well into release.
    edited November 2012
    <b>@Ellen Ripley</b>

I disagree with you. The imbalance has totally been shifted to the other side. It doesn't force players to play Gorge, Lerk or Fade anymore than previous. If anything it forces them to play it less because Onos is now more of a rarity. Instead of people buying Lerk and thinking, "Oh it's okay, my commander can drop me an Onos egg in the future if I go Lerk now and help the objective in the present". Now it's "Oh crap the commander can't drop an Onos egg until we have 3 hives? I better horde all of my res and save up for that Onos, it's our only chance now". The way I've seen it after Build 330 is that the only way for Aliens to win is to all-in zerg rush the Marine base with skulks early on, to ninja ip's when nobody is in the Marine base, or have most if not all of your team save for Onos and totally negate anything else for the ultimate all-in bulldozer rush. It never gets to the last option because before Aliens can even get Tier 2 upgrades Marines are flying in the hive with their jetpacks and grenade launchers with no fear. At least before when it was 2 hive onos drop Marines we're hesitant to all-in a hive with jetpacks and GL's because they knew they could be stopped. Now there is no consequence because they know a bunch of skulks aren't going to do jack to a bunch of flying marine cannon lobbers. Plus all they have to do is send 1 or 2 guys in, lob 2 or 3 grenades at Alien upgrades, and fly off. Bam! Aliens just lost 40+ res and all their upgrades. Rendering them completely useless. It is completely and utterly imbalanced.

As far as the maps having resource nodes re-arranged or removed on the Alien side. It is true. And no, there is no documentation in the patch notes ironically. I will give you one example. On ns_cave, the node in north tunnels was completely removed and central drilling was re-arranged. There are other maps that have the same done.

Edit: Oh yeah, and the simple fact that Marines have phase gates early off and Aliens have nothing of the sort is complete crud considering the recent nerfs to aliens. "Onos at our base? PHASE PHASE PHASE. or BEACON!" Wow that was easy. Onos is either dead or gone. Then /weld. "Oh no jetpacking GLer's in our base!!! Grab your ankles and kiss that sweet alien butt goodbye".
    edited November 2012
    Phase gates can swing the balance dramatically in favor of the marines if utilized properly, but if the marines are all focused on defending that leaves ample opportunity for aliens to expand, which they have a much easier time at. Marine buildings must be babysat, but the alien khamm needs only res to spread cysts and set up an economy. Gorges are helpful to speed things up, but not necessary. Many matches start off with skulks denying marines resources while Khamm expands into all unoccupied territory, thus gaining a huge resource lead right off the bat.

The biggest problem I've seen is that it can be very difficult for aliens to defend a hive against a strong push, while marines are experts at turtling. I've heard something about gorge tunnels coming in the future? They might be a big help for getting reinforcements from one hive to another quickly. The wave hatch mechanic doesn't help, in my opinion. I'm also not too keen on the cooldown for shift eggs. Increase cost maybe, but the cooldown seems prohibitive.

Alien upgrade buildings also need more health. The arms lab is disproportionately more durable, and while (in theory) spreading upgrades out among multiple buildings reduces the risk of losing multiples, those buildings are made less defensible and are much easier to destroy. And yes, the launcher is too effective in this regard. Firing one directly into a hive room sends up absurd damage numbers. I didn't realize that it actually does structural damage. That's 260 damage in an 8 unit (meter?) radius. A handful of grenades will wipe out most structures in that area. Anti-structure roles should be left to exosuits and ARC cannons. Leave grenade launchers as a support weapon.
  • BearTornadoBearTornado Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 166223Members
    Aliens should get used to the shaft. They weren't kidding when they said Marines had the louder voice when things didn't change in their favor.
    <!--quoteo(post=2030635:date=Nov 20 2012, 03:48 PM:name=BearTornado)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BearTornado @ Nov 20 2012, 03:48 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2030635"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Aliens should get used to the shaft. They weren't kidding when they said Marines had the louder voice when things didn't change in their favor.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

All the kiddos want to be the heroes. Saving the world from the evil aliens. As soon as the evil aliens start to get too feisty... well... that's when the tears come. I heard Build 331 is introducing the nuke to marines. 25 kill streak ends the game instantly. lulz