Mouse sensitivity details/gameplay questions

ParadoxFoxParadoxFox Join Date: 2012-11-06 Member: 167610Members
edited November 2012 in Competitive Play
Hi, I am having some struggle with the mouse sensitivity in NS2 for a couple of reasons and I have some general and more precises questions about it.

First is their anyway to make a more precise setting for the sensitivity then the in game "slider"? Because I find it unrefined as the difference between two steps are substantial.

Okay so about gameplay, does any skilled player in this game play with low sensitivity, that is do use your shoulder/elbow when you aim?
You see if you look at for instance the pro CS scene all players aim in that manner, since as they have a stupid low sensitivity that allows them to make very precise reflex shots.

I do that also to some extent and that has been fine for me in the last 4-5 years I have played in competitive fps. Now the problem in NS2 is that that the aliens are moving like freaking flipper balls meaning that you frequently end up turning more then 180 degrees, which is in for instance CS never an issue. So I have the issue of first having a very "rough" sensitivity setting and when I increase my mouse settings I end up somewhere in between elbow/writs aim which is not ideal.

Also I have this idea I wonder if anyone else have tested it, that is to use a mouse where you can change sensitivity instantly and use a higher setting while play alien skulk play and then playing it lower in all other cases?

When I played BFBC2 conquest I did something similar where I used both keyboard and mouse when I played tank to move the turret view. I had a very high sensitivity on my keyboard allowing me to make very fast movements and then had a very low setting on my mouse allowing me to make precise shots/tracking by droping the keyboard aim. I played on top team and I dare say that it was very effective ^.^

Comments

• huhuhhuhuh Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33190Members
    I don't know how configs work in NS2 but if it is somewhat similar to HL, you can do like in HL1 : bind your "join alien" button together with a config change which changes your sensitivity, and bewm !

Other than that, always played NS with high sensitivity. Helps when you need to constantly bhop or as lerk etc ..
  • nUfl0wnUfl0w Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42412Members
    I think the thing you are searching for is "setensitivity (somenumber)" in console. Hope that still works. It did work a few builds ago.
    To the second problem concerning low sensitivity, just use two different settings. one for alien, one for rine.
  • wirywiry Join Date: 2009-05-25 Member: 67479Members
    also i_sensitivity. I don't know if there's a difference though.
  • ParadoxFoxParadoxFox Join Date: 2012-11-06 Member: 167610Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2030011:date=Nov 20 2012, 02:31 PM:name=huhuh)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (huhuh @ Nov 20 2012, 02:31 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2030011"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I don't know how configs work in NS2 but if it is somewhat similar to HL, you can do like in HL1 : bind your "join alien" button together with a config change which changes your sensitivity, and bewm !

Other than that, always played NS with high sensitivity. Helps when you need to constantly bhop or as lerk etc ..<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Okay so you mean that I would bind my mouse sensitivity to a key, and then use it if a spawn skulk and then back again when I play something else? Hmm yeah that could work.
  • BicsumBicsum Join Date: 2012-02-27 Member: 147596Members, Reinforced - Gold
    edited November 2012
    - raw input
    - sens to minimum (1?)
    - adjusting sense via mouse driver
    - moupad from left to right (~30 cm?) = 360 degrees.

edit: I'm no pro though.
  • GlissGliss Join Date: 2003-03-23 Member: 14800Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester
    edited November 2012
    <a href="http://www.funender.com/quake/mouse/index.html" target="_blank">http://www.funender.com/quake/mouse/index.html</a>
    everything you need to know

NS2 sensitivity definitely feels funky at times, but I suspect it's due to massive FPS drops. I can drop 30+ frames just walking around some maps or into infestation.

I think I remember seeing some players' configs have different sensitivities for alien / marine in NS1. I don't know how fantastic of an idea that really is. conceptually cool but I feel like there's too much muscle memory involved in aiming
  • GlissGliss Join Date: 2003-03-23 Member: 14800Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester
    edited November 2012
  • MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=2030014:date=Nov 20 2012, 03:33 PM:name=wiry)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (wiry @ Nov 20 2012, 03:33 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2030014"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->also i_sensitivity. I don't know if there's a difference though.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    i_sensitivity works "everywhere", and setsensitivity only works during a game. They're essentially the same AFAIK.
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2030049:date=Nov 20 2012, 02:16 PM:name=Gliss)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Gliss @ Nov 20 2012, 02:16 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2030049"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think I remember seeing some players' configs have different sensitivities for alien / marine in NS1. I don't know how fantastic of an idea that really is. conceptually cool but I feel like there's too much muscle memory involved in aiming<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    If I've understood correctly, NS1 skulk and marine had slightly different FoVs, which then caused slightly different mouse behaviour on each side. I've heard that at least some people had different sensitivies to match up the skulk and marine mouse behaviour.

Not sure if that covers up all the cases though, I think people got aware of that slight sens difference pretty late in NS1's lifetime.
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2030049:date=Nov 20 2012, 03:16 PM:name=Gliss)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Gliss @ Nov 20 2012, 03:16 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2030049"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><a href="http://www.funender.com/quake/mouse/index.html" target="_blank">http://www.funender.com/quake/mouse/index.html</a>
    everything you need to know

NS2 sensitivity definitely feels funky at times, but I suspect it's due to massive FPS drops. I can drop 30+ frames just walking around some maps or into infestation.

I think I remember seeing some players' configs have different sensitivities for alien / marine in NS1. I don't know how fantastic of an idea that really is. conceptually cool but I feel like there's too much muscle memory involved in aiming<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yes the muscle memory is the issue, but then I would want to specifically use it for Skulk and Fade play. Not when playing Gorge/Lurk because I think both those benefits from low sensitivity. I feel "aiming" with skulk and fade is a very different compared to normal aim, therefor it might not be such a big problem. Or so I would like to think :) Looking at for instance the BF series, players always had a infantry sensitivity and a vehicle sensitivity and I was able to have 2.7 K/D as infantry and 3.5 K/D as tank in BFBC2.

I had other ideas by completely circumventing the issue by playing gorge instead of skulk, but then I learned that gorge players normally don´t play lurks also in competitive play because of the resource conflict.
    <!--quoteo(post=2030039:date=Nov 20 2012, 03:04 PM:name=ParadoxFox)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ParadoxFox @ Nov 20 2012, 03:04 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2030039"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Okay so you mean that I would bind my mouse sensitivity to a key, and then use it if a spawn skulk and then back again when I play something else? Hmm yeah that could work.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Hmm I will try that, thx