Is the Onos fun?

2»

Comments

• NathariemNathariem Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168619Members
    Is the Onos fun? O noes.

GET IT?!

I'm going to go shower in my shame now.
  • giogio Join Date: 2012-08-14 Member: 155618Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2023982:date=Nov 14 2012, 06:03 PM:name=JKooL)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (JKooL @ Nov 14 2012, 06:03 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2023982"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I don't know if it's an animation problem or what, but "attacking" as an onos is really unsatisfying.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--quoteo(post=2025071:date=Nov 15 2012, 02:50 PM:name=DanielD)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DanielD @ Nov 15 2012, 02:50 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2025071"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->But onos skill is imo less about the energy/hp management and more about a) choosing your targets properly and b) knowing where to be on the map.

. . .

So for me, a lot of the fun does come from charging in and goring fools, but there is lots of strategical satisfaction to be had from playing a smart, map-aware onos.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

For me, these.
  • LofungLofung Join Date: 2004-08-21 Member: 30757Members
    with the current meta game. it isnt matter if onos is fun or not. do it 1000 times, it will be boring.
  • serpicoserpico Join Date: 2012-02-12 Member: 145150Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I dunno, I think Onos is tons of fun, and pretty much all of the skill is knowing when to strike, when to retreat, and where to position yourself when you're getting ready to attack, pretty much the same as playing Heavy in TF2. I like it pretty well where it is right now, though it might be a bit OP in Tram specifically, since there are not many open areas for JPers to escape. I had a 60/12 KDR as Onos in Tram a few days back (I'm not usually anywhere near that good, Onos or no). I went Onos 3 times (1 egg, twice myself). I think I took out like 3-5 exos in one life as Onos actually. I find exo vs onos fights super fun and exciting, not because they require the most skill, but because the outcome is often highly consequential to the game, and there is still enough skill involved to make the fight tense and the outcome uncertain.

From the 'rines perspective, I enjoy fighting Onos as long as he's either not focusing on me, or I have an exo/jp. If he's focusing on you and you don't have one of those you're done for 99 times out of 100.

The #1 thing I'd like to see for Onos is a change to his attacks that I proposed a long time ago:

<b>Smash</b> knocks marines to the ground with some damage. Damages buildings.
    <b>Gore</b> throws marines and does some damage but doesn't knock them down. It can't reach downed marines.
    <b>Stomp</b> kills or heavily damages downed marines if it lands on them.

Ideally the throwing effect would give lmg marines a better chance at escape, but also give the Onos the ability to immediately disrupt anyone who's attacking a friend.

Most importantly, I'm sure I'm not the only one who wants to use that awesome stomp animation to stomp on a marine's head.
  • sanobrewsanobrew Join Date: 2007-05-04 Member: 60801Members
    The thing is that there really isn't much to deter an Onos in NS2 besides a bunch of people focus firing on an Onos. I remember back in NS1 a Jetpacker with an HMG could decimate an Onos and only skilled Onos players knew that if they wanted to live they needed to retreat quickly but since there is only the LMG, Marines have to rely on numbers.
  • SpaceJewSpaceJew Join Date: 2012-09-03 Member: 157584Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2025285:date=Nov 15 2012, 09:08 PM:name=sanobrew)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sanobrew @ Nov 15 2012, 09:08 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2025285"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The thing is that there really isn't much to deter an Onos in NS2 besides a bunch of people focus firing on an Onos. I remember back in NS1 a Jetpacker with an HMG could decimate an Onos and only skilled Onos players knew that if they wanted to live they needed to retreat quickly but since there is only the LMG, Marines have to rely on numbers.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

A JP/shotgun Marine is actually still a reasonable threat to an Onos. Even a Jet Pack marine with an LMG is dangerous enough with W3 upgrade. They're one of the few things that can pursue a retreating Onos at the moment.

Of course, all that depends on what location you're in. In a closed hallway, I'd put money on the ten ton Rhino.
  • Lim3sLim3s Join Date: 2012-09-25 Member: 160712Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2024134:date=Nov 15 2012, 02:50 PM:name=Imbalanxd)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Imbalanxd @ Nov 15 2012, 02:50 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2024134"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I made a suggestion in the appropriate forum, for a second hive Onos ability called berserk. When used, it would give the Onos the speed and agility that it requires to be effective in combat, however without it, the Onos would be much slower than it currently is.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I think this would just cause a similar effect to the Fade, where you don't touch it without its relative ability. This may help with delaying the ridiculously early Ono spawns happening, but not really change anything in relation to their gameplay.

Personally, I don't mind the gameplay of the Onos too much. I find in a slightly more organised game, you become much more of a team asset rather than a big hulking rambo mode alien. It does get ridiculous and lose its flair where there are 4 of them on the map at once though.
  • Nemesis6Nemesis6 Join Date: 2002-11-03 Member: 6633Members
    I don't really find the Onos fun to play. Whenever I can, I avoid doing so and play as Fade or even Lerk instead.
  • DromegaDromega Join Date: 2012-11-16 Member: 171628Members
    It is extremely boring to fight against as marines and 6 min onos in pubs wins over 90%. It is game breaking and dull.
  • kk20kk20 Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164592Members
    edited November 2012
    bring back Devour.

so satisfying, especially in-flight meals.
  • MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    edited November 2012
    Yes, Onos is fun.

As Onos: You know you're making a difference, and you're a big hulking monster.

As Marine: Try to dodge those thrusts, and if you have a jetpack, it's the ultimate soloing challenge. Don't get too close, but don't let him get away, either!
  • RabcorRabcor Join Date: 2012-11-15 Member: 171366Members
    in a 1v1 fight double gun exo kills onos.

Onos needs 3 hits on a marine with fully upgraded armor (i think fully upgraded) to kill it (which is the same as skulk at beginning of game)

But onos has stomp which literally makes all marines around it get raped and mutilated by either the onos or other alien players.

the exos don't have some alternative attack like that, , also i believe onos kills building faster than exo with 2 guns. at least it should.

sounds reasonably balanced to me, also considering that aliens can get onos without commander researching anything..

You actually need to know what ur doing on onos, cus you're not allowed to die on it. rushing in thinking you're god against 5 marines with no stomp then dying... bad onos

you want to only pick fights you can survive on the onos.
  • zeepzeep Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3367Members
    Playing Onos doesn't feel gratifying.

Onos needs a nicer melee. Something swipe-ish that throws marines to the side.
    He can always step on them and kill them, but it would be great if he could throw them around a bit first.
  • Rico1Rico1 NS Oldtimer Join Date: 2002-05-24 Member: 664Members
    Onos is incredibly boring :-/

W + Left Mouse = win. The only skill to practice here is to know when to bug out. That's it.
  • JakkarJakkar Join Date: 2006-12-02 Member: 58826Members
    Rico, with the last comment there, nailed it. There's no depth or subtley to him at all. Sure, he isn't ABOUT depth or subtlety, but on the other hand he doesn't feel like a powerful tank either. He feels like an ice-skating cow with a pulse taser attached to his face. Hold down LMB run forward then run away when health meter drains too far.
  • ImbalanxdImbalanxd Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104581Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2025794:date=Nov 16 2012, 06:07 PM:name=Rabcor)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rabcor @ Nov 16 2012, 06:07 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2025794"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->in a 1v1 fight double gun exo kills onos.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

hahahahahhahahahahahhahahahahaa
  • SiminiSimini Join Date: 2012-09-28 Member: 160916Members
    The Onos isn't fun, i would prefer for it to be replaced with a unit that has a higher skill cap.
  • QuantumSparkQuantumSpark Join Date: 2012-11-20 Member: 172557Members
    Does anyone not know how to do charge attacks properly? I love the challenge of pulling off a 400 damage charge on an exo, marines, and structures, its so freaking satisfying. Position is key.

On the marine's side, it is fun to jetpack flame an onos to the point where it can't attack or run much, since onos have poor energy regeneration for spamming and charging you can easily lock down one with a good flaming, otherwise pre advance armories onos fights are pretty boring for marines.