Lerks at their best

QuoxQuox Join Date: 2012-11-19 Member: 172504Members
Ok so this is the perfect example in my opinion of how things are so unbalanced in this game. This is a Lerk without any upgrades at all.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3Lb8bvWg14&feature=plcp" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3Lb8bvWg14&feature=plcp</a>

Comments

• Katana314Katana314 Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166379Members
    I haven't watched the whole thing yet, but that guy's definitely good.

If you'll notice, he's always scouting around to find marines that are out on their own. I'm surprised I haven't seen him run into many large groups, and when he does, the aliens seem to have greater numbers. It might be luck on his part, or just being very good at predicting where people are going to be running off on their own.
  • GenomaxterGenomaxter Join Date: 2003-10-11 Member: 21597Members
    Ummm, he is very good. The use of swooping and biting while being accurate.... This isnt a video of how unbalanced the game is, this is an AWESOME example of how to play a lerk. Sorry, but Lerk damage is only better than a gorge dps wise. The only good thing is flying and spikes. Thats it. I love lerk but you need to be patient and accurate to play one. QQ some more. Next you will say skulks are too hard to hit.
  • maritzmaritz Join Date: 2008-10-08 Member: 65152Members
    He also clearly has celerity, which is arguable the most important upgrade for a lerk.
  • PHJFPHJF Join Date: 2005-07-13 Member: 55898Members
    The real problem is that lerks are better than fades. Sure they are both paper but the lerk has a huge ranged attack, is faster, is more energy efficient, costs less, and is generally harder to kill when played well.
  • Sling_BladeSling_Blade Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3412Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Yep, this guy was quite good. However, a lot of the marines were running off by themselves... they got what they deserved. Especially early game, a 30 res lerk should be more than a match for a single marine. A single marine running around the map by themselves deserves to get owned.

That period doesn't last very long in most games though. A good marine with some armor/weapons upgrades and a shotgun should have no problem taking out a lerk biting people like this guy is... and even if the marine dies a team mate can pick up their shotgun. This marine team obviously didn't have shotguns or aim. If the marines are sticking together like they should they can absolutely shred a lerk in no time flat even with their LMGs. The longer the game goes on the more biting becomes a very risky tactic. It may put out more DPS but you're risking a lot. You never know if you're going to happen to fly near an especially skilled marine. Usually the safest tactic is to support your team mates by spiking marines while they're being attacked by your team mates.
  • SafewoodSafewood Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166381Members
    This is public games though. The marines seems to be playing on gamepads. I would love to see some Lerk plays from competitive gaming, be it scrims or tourneys.
  • ShahnazShahnaz Join Date: 2012-11-12 Member: 170201Members
    Pubs be pubs.

Great Lerk plays, horrible Marines. All of them probably have 5% accuracy or something.
  • Katana314Katana314 Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166379Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2029553:date=Nov 19 2012, 10:54 PM:name=PHJF)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PHJF @ Nov 19 2012, 10:54 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2029553"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The real problem is that lerks are better than fades. Sure they are both paper but the lerk has a huge ranged attack, is faster, is more energy efficient, costs less, and is generally harder to kill when played well.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yeah...totally agree with you there.
  • Snypr18Snypr18 Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168566Members
    Alien commander whined way too much.
  • ZeframZefram Join Date: 2004-05-11 Member: 28611Members, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts, Retired Community Developer
    Makes me want to learn how to fly.
  • RokiyoRokiyo A.K.A. .::FeX::. Revenge Join Date: 2002-10-10 Member: 1471Members, Constellation
    One thing that really struck me was how much time he spent staring at the minimap. Considering the alien HUD is supposed to be minimalistic, it spends a large amount of time obscuring or covering the entirety of the screen.

We really need hivesight back. :(
  • AFireInAsaAFireInAsa Join Date: 2012-09-20 Member: 160156Members
    edited November 2012
    Ahh, I know Vampwood from Tribes and he has some insane aim, but there are some people with much better lerk movement and stuff.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCXnAr_UyqM&feature=g-user-u" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCXnAr_UyqM...eature=g-user-u</a>

This dude is great and he's playing on the top NA team playing against the other top NA team. Just a totally different level.
  • SafewoodSafewood Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166381Members
    <b>@ AFireInAsa:</b>
    Now that's what I'm talking about. Amazing Lerk play against competent marines. Thanks for sharing this, much appreciated. :)
  • turtsmcgurtturtsmcgurt Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165456Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2029685:date=Nov 19 2012, 09:26 PM:name=AFireInAsa)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (AFireInAsa @ Nov 19 2012, 09:26 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2029685"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Ahh, I know Vampwood from Tribes and he has some insane aim, but there are some people with much better lerk movement and stuff.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCXnAr_UyqM&feature=g-user-u" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCXnAr_UyqM...eature=g-user-u</a>

This dude is great and he's playing on the top NA team playing against the other top NA team. Just a totally different level.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Top NA teams of, what, six total?

"NS2 pro? more like NS1 reject" <i>~all ns1 players i've spoken to</i>

edit: much love dough, just thought this quote was ###### hilarious.
  • AFireInAsaAFireInAsa Join Date: 2012-09-20 Member: 160156Members
    This dude has tons of great videos. This is the one I'm watching right now. Watch what happens when he throws celerity + regen on that lerk.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=cPKY0Z4V3Gw#t=499s" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=playe...Y0Z4V3Gw#t=499s</a>
  • NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    edited November 2012
    This is just a very good player, playing against mediocre marines.

/thread
  • elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2029712:date=Nov 20 2012, 04:50 PM:name=AFireInAsa)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (AFireInAsa @ Nov 20 2012, 04:50 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2029712"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This dude has tons of great videos. This is the one I'm watching right now. Watch what happens when he throws celerity + regen on that lerk.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=cPKY0Z4V3Gw#t=499s" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=playe...Y0Z4V3Gw#t=499s</a><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That lerk floor gliding is so silly lol. Still can't believe they made collisions soft like that.

*my bad, its not soft collisions. Looks like its intentionally coded this way.
  • VeNeMVeNeM Join Date: 2002-07-13 Member: 928Members
    build 231-
    removed lerk flight
  • MistenTHMistenTH Join Date: 2003-01-01 Member: 11706Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Nice, inspire lerking!
  • tarquinbbtarquinbb Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166314Members
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2029553:date=Nov 20 2012, 03:54 AM:name=PHJF)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PHJF @ Nov 20 2012, 03:54 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2029553"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The real problem is that lerks are better than fades. Sure they are both paper but the lerk has a huge ranged attack, is faster, is more energy efficient, costs less, and is generally harder to kill when played well.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

this is a valid point...

i think fade needs a very weak ranged attack, not having any ranged attack at all is probably the most detrimental aspect to fade play. you see 2 shotgun marines in a room? can't do anything... with a crappy ranged attack like parasite at least you can do something semi-useful.

in fact i don't think fade needs anything else, just any kind of gimmick ranged ability :/
  • GenomaxterGenomaxter Join Date: 2003-10-11 Member: 21597Members
    edited November 2012
    Fade did in ns1, acid rocket. Think of a small bile bomb that shot straight like gorge spit that does 30-40 damage a shot. I do miss that. I'm not advocating that change tho. Too much is on the table atm.
  • TimariusTimarius Join Date: 2012-11-15 Member: 171220Members
    This video was made on build 229, not with 230's regen change. A lot of situations in that video wouldn't have worked too well in 230.

That aside, this video shows several things. Both commanders were bad, especially the alien commander who did not have a microphone, and complained that people were denying Skylights VERY WELL. People focus far too much on Nanogrid in Veil. Vampwood can play a damn good Lerk, and they are very viable in the hands of a good player (at least in pubs).

Seriously, you don't complain when a Skulk just cost the enemy team 10 res per extractor, plus the 10 a minute it wasn't making. Or when a Lerk forces a focus on Nanogrid, tying up almost their entire team. Or when you lose a hive because you're not spamming map alerts or hive sight alerts, AND you don't have a microphone.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unkIVvjZc9Y#t=1m25s" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unkIVvjZc9Y#t=1m25s</a>
  • rhombusrhombus Lerk Queen Join Date: 2011-06-23 Member: 106055Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    I do the swoop flying too :O! Nice to see I'm not the only one who does it all the time.
  • MaximumSquidMaximumSquid Join Date: 2010-07-20 Member: 72593Members
    <u><b>Quox:</b></u>

I'm impressed with the guys aim on spikes and his positioning, but not much else

Server looked like a very low population and I was getting sick of watching the 1on1 fights when It's usually the opposite
    3+ all the time and people that can solo you with LMG+Pistol even with swooping is what I'm used to

When the dude finally had a chance at a 1on1 against a guy with a shotgun he just ran instantly and that's where I shut it off

---

<u><b>Neoken:</b></u>

Yep. . . sadly after a short time I was just watching how bad the other team was doing and didn't even care what the guy filming did

I've been trying to put together a Lerk video, but my frame rate goes down too low so it doesn't seem real likely unless I fight newer players
  • Trance420Trance420 Join Date: 2010-03-31 Member: 71135Members
    i still prefer lerk gas from NS1 rather than spike, gas does more damage in areas.
  • NSDigiNSDigi Join Date: 2010-04-23 Member: 71503Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2029898:date=Nov 20 2012, 05:02 AM:name=elodea)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (elodea @ Nov 20 2012, 05:02 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2029898"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->... Still can't believe they made collisions soft like that.

*my bad, its not soft collisions. Looks like its intentionally coded this way.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd--><!--coloro:#2E8B57--><span style="color:#2E8B57"><!--/coloro-->
    This is what should be fixed, this isn't just about Lerks either. Yes it was coded this way, you can't run through your teammates, but you can an enemy ... ridiculous ...<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
  • kalvkalv Join Date: 2004-09-04 Member: 31339Members
    I'm not impressed at all. I'm a better lerk. It's not hard at all when you are facing marines without exo and JP. Just keep doing hit and run. Fly the lerk up and down rapidly when you are getting shot at and you will be very hard to hit.
  • 1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
    edited November 2012
    The mad speed he gains while sliding along walls is a bug that will be fixed, and yeah hes good.

<!--quoteo(post=2029898:date=Nov 20 2012, 07:02 AM:name=elodea)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (elodea @ Nov 20 2012, 07:02 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2029898"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->That lerk floor gliding is so silly lol. Still can't believe they made collisions soft like that.

*my bad, its not soft collisions. Looks like its intentionally coded this way.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Do not get me started on collisions. Or the lack thereof.
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    I love watching Marines get spiked and not turn around. =p
  • ChickenOfWarChickenOfWar Join Date: 2003-04-09 Member: 15352Members
    Haha you should see bitey playing lerk. You'd call OP so much harder