Grenade Shield....

2»

Comments

• VeNeMVeNeM Join Date: 2002-07-13 Member: 928Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2029099:date=Nov 19 2012, 02:39 PM:name=Omar - The Wire)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Omar - The Wire @ Nov 19 2012, 02:39 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2029099"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Did you? I'm not insulting, genuinely just curious.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

for a time me and my sentry wrecked yea.. yes yes it was a glorious time D:
  • NeoRussiaNeoRussia Join Date: 2012-08-04 Member: 154743Members
    edited November 2012
    I would love to see the grenade launcher do structure-specific damage and a hand grenade being available to do damage to aliens. Being able to instakill skulks if it lands right next to it would be alright, maybe even give it an emp effect where it drains all the energy from lifeforms. Just need something to stuff down skulk-infested vents and block off retreating aliens.
  • Omar - The WireOmar - The Wire Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165320Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2029108:date=Nov 19 2012, 12:53 PM:name=VeNeM)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (VeNeM @ Nov 19 2012, 12:53 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2029108"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->for a time me and my sentry wrecked yea.. yes yes it was a glorious time D:<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Lovely, another non-pubber (presumably) TFCer. What name did you use?
  • tarquinbbtarquinbb Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166314Members
    make your own friendly fire mod.

if people like it then you'll have no problem finding servers to play on.

have fun!
  • PsympleJesterPsympleJester Join Date: 2008-04-06 Member: 64024Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2029110:date=Nov 19 2012, 07:54 PM:name=NeoRussia)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (NeoRussia @ Nov 19 2012, 07:54 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2029110"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I would love to see the grenade launcher do structure-specific damage and a hand grenade being available to do damage to aliens. Being able to instakill skulks if it lands right next to it would be alright, maybe even give it an emp effect where it drains all the energy from lifeforms. Just need something to stuff down skulk-infested vents and block off retreating aliens.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Haha make grenade launchers into hand ARCS? :D
  • drilltoothdrilltooth Join Date: 2012-11-12 Member: 170096Members
    I could see a proximity cutoff on nades. Less/no AoE if marines are nearby, sort of a reverse of the Cortex Bomb in dystopia fizzling if there were no enemies in the blast radius. FLuff it as smart munitions, or whatever.
  • DullahanDullahan Join Date: 2012-11-19 Member: 172360Members
    Call me crazy, but I feel like the proper solution to this is to shift grenade launchers into an exclusively anti structure role but to reduce the damage they deal to alien creatures.
  • SpaceJewSpaceJew Join Date: 2012-09-03 Member: 157584Members
    edited November 2012
    Concentrated GL troopers are just as much of a danger to themselves as they are to the Aliens. I submit to you that Grenades have a form of friendly fire in that the projectile can actually be blocked by your team. If it's blocked too close to the person firing, they frag themselves. Either way the GL has 4 shots, empties the clip slowly, and reloads very slowly. It one-shots skulks, as does the Shotgun, but in a giant Area-of-effect. It's massively useless against Onos, although every other lifeform is vulnerable to grenades unless they notice them and dodge. (Fade's excel at dodging grenade fire. They just gotta notice the spam first. Lerks aren't too bad at it either, and a spore-equipped Lerk can really ruin a cluster of GL troops day at an admittedly high risk to themselves.)

I would like to see Grenades highlighted in Hivesight to make it easier to react to them as a Skulk, but if their whole team has GL's they're going to need to be very careful while using them. It depends quite a bit on which room or hive they're trying to assault with them, and if there are any Whip's in the hive.

In a weird way, whips actually can make it harder on the Aliens to kill a group of GL spammers. It flips the grenade back into the Marines, meaning a skulk can't get close to the mob. On the flip side, those grenades <i>could</i> kill the person firing them without the skulk. Better players won't have much of a problem rolling the grenades into the whips though, so not sure how much they really help at the end of the day.

Either way, once the GL's come out you should have a few Lerks and maybe a fade. Once GL hits the field you need to start getting life forms with upgraded abilities.
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2029151:date=Nov 19 2012, 04:34 PM:name=SpaceJew)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SpaceJew @ Nov 19 2012, 04:34 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2029151"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Concentrated GL troopers are just as much of a danger to themselves as they are to the Aliens. I submit to you that Grenades have a form of friendly fire in that the projectile can actually be blocked by your team. If it's blocked too close to the person firing, they frag themselves.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    This is profoundly irritating and has nothing to do with how many GLs your team has, any random dude can mess up your shots. Would be nice if they passed through teammates at least for a split second after firing.
  • RMJRMJ Join Date: 2012-08-09 Member: 155190Members
    One thing is friendly fire. But atleast you would think that if a grenade went off close to player himself or other marines, it would daze their vision or blind or blur vision something, to punish bad grenade launcher players.
    <!--quoteo(post=2029175:date=Nov 19 2012, 02:51 PM:name=Zek)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Zek @ Nov 19 2012, 02:51 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2029175"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This is profoundly irritating and has nothing to do with how many GLs your team has, any random dude can mess up your shots. Would be nice if they passed through teammates at least for a split second after firing.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It's true that it's very irritating, but it needs to be considered when talking about the GL. It's one of the few balances on the GL, although it's easily mitigated through people not being a jacktard and standing dead-center in front of a GL trooper. I say that it gets tougher with the more GL troopers that are assaulting because it gets easier and easier to end up with a blocked shot when everyone is trying to get the same arc shot. Either way, it is a wave of death for the Aliens with the rare self-kill on the Marines team, practically speaking.

<!--quoteo(post=2029185:date=Nov 19 2012, 02:59 PM:name=RMJ)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RMJ @ Nov 19 2012, 02:59 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2029185"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->One thing is friendly fire. But atleast you would think that if a grenade went off close to player himself or other marines, it would daze their vision or blind or blur vision something, to punish bad grenade launcher players.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Well, it does damage to the guy that shot it. That's a downside.

Honestly the most broken part is a GL trooper that just phases between bases firing Grenades at his feet. He knows a phase gate is under attack <i>somewhere</i>, and this strategy completely mitigates the danger for him. I guess that's what the GL is for though, insta-gibbing any skulk foolish enough to stick their nose into a Marines base with a phase gate.
  • ritualsacrificeritualsacrifice Join Date: 2012-11-14 Member: 171148Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I honesty don't see how 100% FF on all weapons could be a bad thing at all... just don't shoot friendlies it's not that hard. If you can shoot and hit a moving skulk, you should have no problem shooting and NOT hitting your teammates.
    <!--quoteo(post=2029321:date=Nov 19 2012, 05:10 PM:name=ritualsacrifice)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ritualsacrifice @ Nov 19 2012, 05:10 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2029321"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I honesty don't see how 100% FF on all weapons could be a bad thing at all... just don't shoot friendlies it's not that hard. If you can shoot and hit a moving skulk, you should have no problem shooting and NOT hitting your teammates.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

So then you apply friendly fire to both teams, and watch the Aliens chew each other to death while attacking one Marine.

I have an admitted bias towards the Aliens team, but friendly fire in this game is just not a good idea. I've played on servers that had it on, and it is a game-long disaster for both teams. You think Exo's die fast now? You should see how fast they go with team fire enabled.
  • ritualsacrificeritualsacrifice Join Date: 2012-11-14 Member: 171148Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2029324:date=Nov 19 2012, 03:14 PM:name=SpaceJew)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SpaceJew @ Nov 19 2012, 03:14 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2029324"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So then you apply friendly fire to both teams, and <b>watch the Aliens chew each other to death</b> while attacking one Marine.

I have an admitted bias towards the Aliens team, but friendly fire in this game is just not a good idea. I've played on servers that had it on, and it is a game-long disaster for both teams. You think Exo's die fast now? You should see how fast they go with team fire enabled.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

If aliens start chewing eachother to death, they'll have to learn to set traps and pick their bites. I'll give you that right now, the way skulks are played wouldn't work with FF. But right now, skulks for the most part are using the "Hold W + M1 for victory" strategy... this would force them to actually aim and not spam their bites. There really isn't a negative way to spin FF in my opinion.

It would require the game to be played more slowly and deliberately, and it would add elements of strategy and horror to the game that it's desperately missing. Not to mention it could possibly help with the occasionally spotty hit-reg and client side prediction that the game has.

I don't think Exos die fast right now because all it takes is a guy to spam grenades at the Exo's feet and no one except Onii can get in to touch it. If an exo is caught without flame or grenade support and has a low mouse sensitivity then sure they go down easy. But given that they can turn in place just as fast as a skulk can, there's really no excuse for losing your exo unless you get caught alone.
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES&#33; FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS&#33; Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    i think everything should do 10% of its normal damage in friendly fire.
    EVERYTHING, maybe not spores as aliens will obviously have some sort of inward based transforms it into breathable air (or they dont breathe at all given they are infested)
    and 10% would prevent griefers being entirely griefish.
  • TimariusTimarius Join Date: 2012-11-15 Member: 171220Members
    edited November 2012
    Crazy idea... how about when whips knock back a grenade, it changes ownership to the Alien team, thus doing damage to ALL of the marines caught in the radius? Need to explain it off? When a whip knocks back a grenade, it covers the grenade in Bacterium or knocks loose a switch.

As a plus, you'd see more people using Flamethrowers, which are absolutely devastating when defending an Exo, much more so than the GL because you don't have to wait on the 2s explosion or get a lucky direct hit. Plus it wards off the Onos. Of course, this might just be a bit biased since I tend to prefer Aliens, and I tend to enjoy the Flamethrower IMMENSELY when I play Marines. (I tend to quote ALIENS... a lot.)
  • VeNeMVeNeM Join Date: 2002-07-13 Member: 928Members
    build 231 - friendly fire forced on
  • PneumaticCrabPneumaticCrab Join Date: 2002-11-28 Member: 10133Members
    please allow me to murder my teammates and steal their guns and become the true alpha marine that i was born to be
  • TimariusTimarius Join Date: 2012-11-15 Member: 171220Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2029976:date=Nov 20 2012, 05:39 AM:name=PneumaticCrab)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PneumaticCrab @ Nov 20 2012, 05:39 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2029976"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->please allow me to murder my teammates and steal their guns and become the true alpha marine that i was born to be<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I solemnly vow that if I see you in a server with me, and I happen to be playing Marines, and you HAPPEN to kill me for my flamethrower, I absolutely will follow you for the rest of the round, chopping you up with a switch axe.
  • PneumaticCrabPneumaticCrab Join Date: 2002-11-28 Member: 10133Members
    i want to brutally slay my fellow marines in a display of silverback-like gaming dominance