ASSIST KILLS / ASSIST POINTS

»Comrade«»Comrade« Join Date: 2012-11-11 Member: 169419Members
<div class="IPBDescription">PUT YOUR SUPPORT HERE !</div>Yes, I did a search already and theres been talk by other people (and me) wanting assist kills or assist points e.g for helping to build

How come this hasn't been added in yet ?

It can only be a good thing as it would encourage people to work together !

So please put your support here and maybe if enough of us post the developers will take notice ?

I know there will be differing opinions on how assists will be rewarded, but i really think it needs to be implemented

What do you guys think ?

Comments

• Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Its a good idea and is already possible on some modded servers. Also phasing this to <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/forums/index.php?showforum=84" target="_blank">I&S</a>
  • NoMoreChilliesNoMoreChillies Join Date: 2012-11-11 Member: 169666Members
    agree
    assists are sorely needed
  • VolcanoVolcano Join Date: 2011-07-27 Member: 112496Members, Constellation
    you get assist points if the server is running ns2stats but other than that the points really have no meaning other than to get a hard on over
  • ByorunByorun Join Date: 2003-04-19 Member: 15661Members, Constellation
    since you get nothing from kills i would even suggest to totally remove k/d it encourages people to just go for kills (seen that many times)
  • VolcanoVolcano Join Date: 2011-07-27 Member: 112496Members, Constellation
    even just having your own kd show for yourself and noone else i think would be fine
  • Governor Jesse VenturaGovernor Jesse Ventura Join Date: 2012-11-19 Member: 172395Members
    The scoreboard means so little now as it is with the timing of kills or construction affecting placement on the scoreboard so much. Assist kills/points are needed if the scoreboard is to give any real feedback of player effectiveness.
  • »Comrade«»Comrade« Join Date: 2012-11-11 Member: 169419Members
    thanks for all your replies and support

with regards to the previous posts on feedback and whether the scoreboard doesn't matter

I think in pub games it really does help. No ones ever going to remove the score board because ultimately, players WANT to know how they're doing
    They might want to compare to other players, or they might want just to compare with how well they played previously
    Ultimately it gives people satisfaction racking up the kills and things

More importantly though having assist kills would really foster people to work together especially on public servers
    e.g. everyone builds to get that feedback that they participated and got points too
    or, everyone goes in to kill as a team etc

i'd really like to see it added to the main game not just another mod.
    Alot of other teamplay games have it added in too so why not NS2
    Im not a programmer but I dont think its too much to ask? I really think for a small change there will be a big improvement in teamwork
  • blzdblzd Join Date: 2012-04-01 Member: 149806Members
    Pretty much the first thing I thought after playing NS2 for a short while. There is so much team work needed to bring peolpe down sometimes (skulks rushing marines, 2 marines covering eachother and takin out countless skulks) that it's a shame only the person who gets the killing blow gets any credit or resources.

Any resources should be split 20% to the 1 main assist, 80% to the killing blow.

This would be easy to implement, and encourage good team work.
  • PaionvdPaionvd Join Date: 2012-11-22 Member: 172866Members
    great idea, and there are lots of things this category could be used for: healing onos as a gorge, welding exos and of course what you suggested.
  • TimariusTimarius Join Date: 2012-11-15 Member: 171220Members
    I'd be happy to continue being that one Marine that welds everything, or that thankless maintenance Gorge, even without having it shown by the scoreboard.

Of course, being able to show my team that I was busting my ass for them might be nice.

And by "might be nice", I mean, "Let's do this!"
  • LilbitHeartlessLilbitHeartless Join Date: 2012-11-19 Member: 172517Members
    I also like this idea, or to show welding/healing done and damage done. It's always interesting to see the person with kills not have a lot of damage, some people like to let others go first and die while they come in to clean up :P
  • Omega_K2Omega_K2 Join Date: 2011-12-25 Member: 139013Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I agree. NS2 stats has this bits, and UWE could just include their code for assists. It think it works pretty well.
  • »Comrade«»Comrade« Join Date: 2012-11-11 Member: 169419Members
    Great

Thanks to all for writing their support

Lots of good ideas, i agree with too from the above posters, i think we should be extending assists so that it includes killing, welding, healing and building

On tuesday I plan on asking them in that live interactive session whether they will consider putting it in.

Keep posting, tell others to post here too so hopefully the developers will take some notice of us and I will post here the outcome if I get a chance to ask them (or any of you guys could also hassle them :D)
  • LamboLambo Iceland Join Date: 2012-08-07 Member: 154915Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    This needs a bump.

Also Comrade is a qt.
  • BloodsawBloodsaw Join Date: 2013-03-21 Member: 184132Members
    Sadly that this suggestion got lost over time.
    Many things already said here, but the most important fact is the motivation you gain from the scoreboard.
    Currently it is sometimes really depressing to see that you're on the lower end of your team, only because of not getting the last shot of a battle or the last tick on welding structures. Also the points gained from healing/repairing are way to low, dont know why it is more worthy to kill 2 aliens than repairing a power supply that is on the edge of destruction.
    I agree that assist points for killing/welding/repairing would boost the rate of team work. I would like to compare it to "Battlefield 3", where you can be the first on the scoreboard only with healing/reanimating your teammates or with only repairing vehicles, so everyone on a server finds his role to gain many points for himself, while he is serving his team well.
    To transfer this idea on NS2, currently the commander has to "force" players often to buy the welder and use it, remember what I said about how it works in BF3, you will see that most players will want to buy and use the welder just to get the "easy" gained points for the scoreboard. Therefore the commander has only to manage who should be the "engineer" of his team and who should be the "soldier", this makes it easier to be the commander because he isn't the killjoy.

Further I'm guessing that implementing it, is not that difficult.
  • eliotmateliotmat Join Date: 2002-12-01 Member: 10350Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Volcano wrote: »
    ...but other than that the points really have no meaning other than to get a hard on over

Isn't that the best motivation to do anything in life? hehe.

• CalegoCalego Join Date: 2013-01-24 Member: 181848Members, NS2 Map Tester
    Necro?

NS2 is a team game, IMO kdr, points, and all such things could be replaced by "Winning" and "Loosing" for the team overall. It is interesting to see how many times you're killing/life but if you start basing your "success" off of that and that alone, you're missing the point of NS2.

But yeah, I'm not against this at all, I just don't think it should be high on the priorities list.
  • SeeVeeSeeVee Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165206Members
    only if it helps get you some prez :)