Marine Exo Suit Suggestion: Skulk Stomper

pendelum5pendelum5 Join Date: 2012-10-29 Member: 164317Members
<div class="IPBDescription">Upgraded from Egg Stomping</div>2-3 skulks can dominate an exosuit in seconds flat. Given that this is a likely encounter following a late-game beacon, it makes the Exo much less cost-efficient than its Onos counter-part. The Exo needs constant support from troops for repairs and protection from ankle-biting skulks and deadly, deadly gorges, not to mention map-defying Lerk spines. For these reasons, I suggest that any Skulk that decides to take cover under an Exo suit from its own miniguns should instantly die, much like how eggs currently fare. Even without jumping, current game mechanics allow skulks to snake their way under something weighing likely hundreds times their weight to avoid gunfire from it. This is simply not good game balance, and I would like to see Exos be a little more efficient in close quarters to justify their steep price tag.

Comments

• VolcanoVolcano Join Date: 2011-07-27 Member: 112496Members, Constellation
    why not rely on those 5 other grenade launcher marines behind you to cover you, if your exo goes down blame them for not covering you, unless you are one of those rambo exo's then you deserve to get dominated by skulks
  • xxswatelitexxxxswatelitexx Join Date: 2012-11-16 Member: 171754Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2028321:date=Nov 18 2012, 08:28 PM:name=pendelum5)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (pendelum5 @ Nov 18 2012, 08:28 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2028321"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->2-3 skulks can dominate an exosuit in seconds flat. Given that this is a likely encounter following a late-game beacon, it makes the Exo much less cost-efficient than its Onos counter-part. The Exo needs constant support from troops for repairs and protection from ankle-biting skulks and deadly, deadly gorges, not to mention map-defying Lerk spines. For these reasons, I suggest that any Skulk that decides to take cover under an Exo suit from its own miniguns should instantly die, much like how eggs currently fare. Even without jumping, current game mechanics allow skulks to snake their way under something weighing likely hundreds times their weight to avoid gunfire from it. This is simply not good game balance, and I would like to see Exos be a little more efficient in close quarters to justify their steep price tag.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Thats the exo suits achillies heel. Something it needs.
    Only Onos has no disadvantage. Even Stomp is a mid range attack
  • ChaosXBeingChaosXBeing Join Date: 2012-10-12 Member: 162114Members
    This is more of a problem of the Onos being a little bit too tough, not a problem of the Exo being too weak. A lot of the time you'll get players that will go ahead and gg if they see an Exo walking towards a hive, even when you have two or three hives. Exos are certainly not underpowered.

That being said, maybe if the Exo jumped and came <i>down</i> on a Skulk...
  • schkorpioschkorpio I can mspaint Join Date: 2003-05-23 Member: 16635Members
    i understand that the exo suit needs some trade offs, but i think its pathetic that skulks can take one out so easily - i mean skulks are free. it should decimate them, and the counter should be something that actually costs alien res.
  • SeahuntsSeahunts Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151973Members
    edited November 2012
    I reckon the option to beacon only some of the team home would be better.
    Although it should cost significantly more to do so. As one good way to prevent exo base rape is by attacking a command chair and forcing a beacon.

PS point mini guns at skulk and it does decimate them.
    <!--quoteo(post=2028413:date=Nov 19 2012, 02:59 PM:name=Seahunts)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Seahunts @ Nov 19 2012, 02:59 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2028413"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->PS point mini guns at skulk and it does decimate them.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

at medium range sure its awesome.

but once they get between your feet and spin around or even sometimes above you its the amount of flashing crap on the hud and the ricochet explosion effects from the minigun means youcan see nothing.

at long range the minigun is about as accurate as a one armed drunk guy riding a rodeo and aiming from the hip.

if the can latch onto the back of an exo that would cool, then you'd have to walk backwards into a wall to squish them to make them fall off.
    I want to know how the skulks even got under the exo without your team seeing them, 1 nade takes them all out. This idea isn't needed
  • pendelum5pendelum5 Join Date: 2012-10-29 Member: 164317Members
    This unrelated, but another issue I have with the Exo is that point blank 1v1 Onos, your player camera will be inside the Onos player model. This causes the screen to be entirely filled with undecipherable brown polygons.
    skulks hit boxes also go through the exo allowing them to punch them while facing the opposite direction
  • ImbalanxdImbalanxd Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104581Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2028396:date=Nov 19 2012, 05:27 AM:name=schkorpio)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (schkorpio @ Nov 19 2012, 05:27 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2028396"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->i understand that the exo suit needs some trade offs, but i think its pathetic that skulks can take one out so easily - i mean skulks are free. it should decimate them, and the counter should be something that actually costs alien res.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

At the point where Exos appear, skulks stop being "free". Sure, they still don't cost anything, but they are by no means without cost to the team. Having skulks around the 10-15 minute mark is in itself a massive weakness for the alien team, which the marine team does not suffer with its base unit. If you get taken out by 2 skulks, you are pretty much bad. 3 is borderline, maybe you got unlucky. 4 is acceptable, but that means that around 50% of the enemy team is skulks, in which case just walk in as light marines and finish the job.
  • HyperformsHyperforms Join Date: 2012-11-04 Member: 166912Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2028351:date=Nov 18 2012, 07:22 PM:name=ChaosXBeing)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ChaosXBeing @ Nov 18 2012, 07:22 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2028351"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This is more of a problem of the Onos being a little bit too tough, not a problem of the Exo being too weak. A lot of the time you'll get players that will go ahead and gg if they see an Exo walking towards a hive, even when you have two or three hives. Exos are certainly not underpowered.

That being said, maybe if the Exo jumped and came <i>down</i> on a Skulk...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

To me it's an issue of it being a really bad idea to spam Exos. Exos have a ton of weaknesses. They're slow, they can't be called in via beacon, they can't repair themselves(thus soloing as an Exo is a terrible idea), and you can't hop out of one to build/repair things. They're the marine siege weapon and they have that many weaknesses. You'll never see more than 2 or 3 on the field at the same time. If an entire Marine team save for one or two hopped into Exo suits, every Marine base is ripe for destruction, and you can throw yourselves at the Exos until they die since they can't repair(a beacon to those vulnerable bases would strip them of any welders they have).

Compare that to the Onos. The Onos runs just as fast as the other Alien units, it has the highest health and armor in the game, it does the most damage out of all the Alien units, and it has a crowd control ability that hits multiple enemies. The Aliens can literally spam Onos without a care in the world, because they don't have any sort of weakness. Soloing as an Onos isn't an issue(especially with how ridiculous regen is right now), Aliens can't recall so by nature they run towards the attackers rather than get ported, Aliens don't build anything like Marines do(without MACs anyway), and this is where the disproportion comes from. There's no synergy between the Onos and any other Alien lifeform, other than the Gorge for Healing Spray... and a Lerk's umbra too I suppose but what would you rather have, a Lerk using umbra or another Onos?
  • NoMoreChilliesNoMoreChillies Join Date: 2012-11-11 Member: 169666Members
    u say 3 skulks can kill an exos?
    how about Onos vs 3 marines

ya ive seen that story too many times.
  • SiminiSimini Join Date: 2012-09-28 Member: 160916Members
    edited November 2012
    The Onos needs to be as tough as it is to stand a chance against the dual exo, the current marine Exo players are just idiots and believe they should be the one in front pushing the aliens, when really they should be behind marines at all times or right next to another Exo.
  • Bullet_ForceBullet_Force Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165952Members
    Not sure if this is even needed. If you have a competent team they just spam grenades at your feet. Could work if they ever get around to turning friendly fire on.
  • KuikiKuiki Join Date: 2012-02-03 Member: 143467Members
    maybe the exo can get a third cc upgrade to get a push field, an expending bubble which really hard knock back skulks, gorgies and lerks, and much less fades and oni. :-)
    <!--quoteo(post=2028476:date=Nov 19 2012, 04:22 PM:name=Imbalanxd)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Imbalanxd @ Nov 19 2012, 04:22 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2028476"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->At the point where Exos appear, skulks stop being "free". Sure, they still don't cost anything, but they are by no means without cost to the team. Having skulks around the 10-15 minute mark is in itself a massive weakness for the alien team, which the marine team does not suffer with its base unit. If you get taken out by 2 skulks, you are pretty much bad. 3 is borderline, maybe you got unlucky. 4 is acceptable, but that means that around 50% of the enemy team is skulks, in which case just walk in as light marines and finish the job.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

thats exactly my problem though, light marines better at killing skulks then a 50 or 75 resource unit. it just seems silly.

imagine if the onos would die fairly quickly to a few lvl 0 marines. people would be screaming waste of res.
  • pendelum5pendelum5 Join Date: 2012-10-29 Member: 164317Members
    Why not just give Exosuits regenerating nano armor and be done with it?
  • PappPapp Join Date: 2013-02-04 Member: 182808Members
    Similar situation happened to me. I was playing rock/paper/scissors with a friend and when i went rock, he went paper. Rock is the more structurally sound choice and i feel it shouldn't be beaten by no-skill paper pickers.

You balance the game, your options are:

buff rock/nerf paper

--or--

next time bring a few friends who can roll scissors