Any more infestation visual upgrades in the pipeline?

RokiyoRokiyo A.K.A. .::FeX::. Revenge Join Date: 2002-10-10 Member: 1471Members, Constellation
<div class="IPBDescription">Ambient flora, chain tendrils, etc</div>The new infestation is seriously sexy, I absolutely love it... But the sheer amount of potential opened up by the new system is equally impressive.

Will we be seeing more visual changes to infestation any time soon?

I'm talking about strange and alien flowers growing on the walls, vines hanging from the ceilings, thick tendrils linking cysts together, etc etc. I'd love to see infested rooms turning into small jungles!

I'd also like to see infestation becoming a little more reactive to player presence: Regular foot-traffic slowly flattening infestation globs, explosions leaving large dents, flames leaving burn marks, corpses causing the infestation underneath to swell as it devours the biomass...

Comments

• MisterYoonMisterYoon Join Date: 2012-08-18 Member: 155747Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2027876:date=Nov 18 2012, 07:48 AM:name=Rokiyo)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rokiyo @ Nov 18 2012, 07:48 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2027876"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->thick tendrils linking cysts together<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

At least this must be implemented. It was definately the basic idea of cysts. A long tendrils linking up whole cysts together from mother hive.
  • arnyboy87arnyboy87 Join Date: 2012-08-13 Member: 155551Members
    lol most gd player play with it off anyway, the new infest is nothing more than a waste of cpu/gpu,, don't get me wrong it looks gd but henders gameplay
  • NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    Sounds neat, but I imagine UWE already have their hands full on optimizing performance as it is.
  • RabidWeaselRabidWeasel Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5337Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2027895:date=Nov 18 2012, 03:15 PM:name=arnyboy87)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (arnyboy87 @ Nov 18 2012, 03:15 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2027895"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->lol most gd player play with it off anyway, the new infest is nothing more than a waste of cpu/gpu,, don't get me wrong it looks gd but henders gameplay<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    This, I wish it wasn't the case but it's a choice between 'make game atmospheric' and 'be able to play properly in hives etc.' so I have to have boring infestation (which still looks kind of neat, though). It doesn't help that the heavy infestation can obscure stuff such as skulks, cysts, etc.
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    Lots of great thoughts and suggestions here, and they follow along with our thinking for improvements we'd love to make. Specifically in regards to the tendrils connecting the cysts and smaller decorative props for the infestation, such as flowers, vines, etc.

Right now, however, our focus really is on getting the performance better, as well as fixing a lot of the other technical issues people are having, so it will likely be some time before these additional cosmetic enhancements are added.

--Cory
  • FappuchinoFappuchino Join Date: 2012-10-10 Member: 162008Members
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2027895:date=Nov 18 2012, 07:15 AM:name=arnyboy87)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (arnyboy87 @ Nov 18 2012, 07:15 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2027895"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->lol most gd player play with it off anyway, the new infest is nothing more than a waste of cpu/gpu,, don't get me wrong it looks gd but henders gameplay<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    As a "bad player", I like eye candy. In fact, I still consider it possible to have eye candy and be competitive without having to lose one or the other.

Oh, and the "Rich" or "Minimal" settings of infestation barely have any difference in regards to performance. So please, keep your fingers busy and off the keyboard when someone talks about an aspect of the game that isn't balance or gameplay (we have enough of those).
  • killer monkeykiller monkey Join Date: 2010-02-26 Member: 70743Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2027953:date=Nov 18 2012, 11:49 AM:name=Squeal_Like_A_Pig)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Squeal_Like_A_Pig @ Nov 18 2012, 11:49 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2027953"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Lots of great thoughts and suggestions here, and they follow along with our thinking for improvements we'd love to make. Specifically in regards to the tendrils connecting the cysts and smaller decorative props for the infestation, such as flowers, vines, etc.

Right now, however, our focus really is on getting the performance better, as well as fixing a lot of the other technical issues people are having, so it will likely be some time before these additional cosmetic enhancements are added.

--Cory<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Happy to hear this!
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2027964:date=Nov 18 2012, 05:10 PM:name=Fappuchino)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fappuchino @ Nov 18 2012, 05:10 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2027964"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->As a "bad player", I like eye candy. In fact, I still consider it possible to have eye candy and be competitive without having to lose one or the other.

Oh, and the "Rich" or "Minimal" settings of infestation barely have any difference in regards to performance. So please, keep your fingers busy and off the keyboard when someone talks about an aspect of the game that isn't balance or gameplay (we have enough of those).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    The visual differences between "Rich" and "Minimal" infestation are quite something though, where rich covers most things up and gets in the way to some extent with what you're trying to shoot. Performance wise there is indeed no difference, but that is probably because both are using the same game code and the graphics engine isn't really affected. When I stream, I play with most things on to get some eye candy going and make the game visually more appealing. AO is off as it lowers performance significantly and atmospherics are off as well, because I simply cannot stand the visual obscuring misty soup it creates. Flashlight mostly, the ingame/level stuff looks nice it's just that bloody flashlight :(

<i><!--coloro:#696969--><span style="color:#696969"><!--/coloro-->*wanders off to the workshop in search for a flashlight mod that passes consistency, so I can play with atmospherics, while not having to deal with the soup casting flashlight*<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--></i>
    I noticed a diffenence when I turned it off (could of just been in my head :p) ,,, how could it not make a difference (that is actual a Question, surely sumthing like that must use more cpu/gpu)

oh and Fappuchino this affects both balance and gameplay

for example: 1 person has it off and 1 has it on (the "rich" infestation can actual cover whole vents to the point you can't see them)
    truth is if you have it on your already at a disadjavtage

I personaly think that it was a bad idea there was nothing wrong with the old infestation or the minmal setting as it is just now

and I bet most people that try it with it on minmal will find it hard to justify turning it back on (out with explore mode) :P
  • drilltoothdrilltooth Join Date: 2012-11-12 Member: 170096Members
    tried it, played it, Turned it back to full. REAL players memorise where vents are.
    Perhaps a solution to the obstruction of infestation is making it more vein-like in vertical surfaces? Perhaps it would be easier to remove most of the effect altogether on walls and such.
    <!--quoteo(post=2028073:date=Nov 18 2012, 07:27 PM:name=Fappuchino)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fappuchino @ Nov 18 2012, 07:27 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2028073"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Perhaps a solution to the obstruction of infestation is making it more vein-like in vertical surfaces? Perhaps it would be easier to remove most of the effect altogether on walls and such.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

yeah I could see that working more
  • Nyuu?Nyuu? Join Date: 2012-11-17 Member: 172070Members
    I've got more fun when I set it to "Rich". I had it on "Minimal" a few games, and it looks kind of 'more realistic' but Rich creates a much better atmosphere, when you enter the alien area and everything is full of this slimy, green stuff it really creates a feeling of being 'not in our world anymore', I really like it!

The tendrils is something I really want to see, it also makes it more easier for new players to understand the system and for marines to make out the important cysts that cut of everything :)
  • JakkarJakkar Join Date: 2006-12-02 Member: 58826Members
    This thread was about visual improvements to Infestation, not diminishing it - and has already been answered. Tangents are fine, but really - 'pro' wannabes trying to lo-fi the beautiful visuals for the sake of efficiency? Sickening... This is action-horror in atmosphere, it's Alien with strategy and resource management - what purpose has the setting without atmospherics?
    <!--quoteo(post=2028063:date=Nov 18 2012, 07:18 PM:name=drilltooth)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (drilltooth @ Nov 18 2012, 07:18 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2028063"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->tried it, played it, Turned it back to full. REAL players memorise where vents are.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It's not a problem knowen where the vent are lol it's if there is an ailen behind the "rich" infestation sometimes it covers it complety ,, so before you troll actual go try it :P
  • PaajtorPaajtor Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168634Members
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2027953:date=Nov 18 2012, 05:49 PM:name=Squeal_Like_A_Pig)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Squeal_Like_A_Pig @ Nov 18 2012, 05:49 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2027953"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Lots of great thoughts and suggestions here, and they follow along with our thinking for improvements we'd love to make. Specifically in regards to the tendrils connecting the cysts and smaller decorative props for the infestation, such as flowers, vines, etc.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    And how about the "gorge tunnels" that were mentioned during that last ESL tournament?
    They sure sound like an upgrade to the infestation-thing, and not only visual!
  • CodeCowboyCodeCowboy Join Date: 2012-09-21 Member: 160235Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2028099:date=Nov 18 2012, 02:04 PM:name=arnyboy87)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (arnyboy87 @ Nov 18 2012, 02:04 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2028099"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It's not a problem knowen where the vent are lol it's if there is an ailen behind the "rich" infestation sometimes it covers it complety ,, so before you troll actual go try it :P<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

For me it's not about fair, it's about fun. If I know that an alien might be hiding in big goo blobs I might pop a couple rounds into it or look at it more closely, adding to the eerie feel. I didn't know it could be turned down on the client side. to me that's a problem. I want to know if I'm a skulk trying to use the environment i perceive to hide in, that I am actually hidden. Otherwise it just encourages people to turn down the settings to get an advantage.
  • PsympleJesterPsympleJester Join Date: 2008-04-06 Member: 64024Members
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2028063:date=Nov 18 2012, 07:18 PM:name=drilltooth)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (drilltooth @ Nov 18 2012, 07:18 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2028063"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->REAL players memorise where vents are.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Do REAL players also "memorise" where the skulks (that are currently 100% obscured by infestation) are as well?
    Main reason I play with it on basic is its client side not server side and others can turn it off.

I dont like thinking I am hidden when I am not/being unable to see what others can/it covering vents entirely.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=2028128:date=Nov 18 2012, 08:48 PM:name=PsympleJester)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PsympleJester @ Nov 18 2012, 08:48 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2028128"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Do REAL players also "memorise" where the skulks (that are currently 100% obscured by infestation) are as well?
    Main reason I play with it on basic is its client side not server side and others can turn it off.

I dont like thinking I am hidden when I am not/being unable to see what others can/it covering vents entirely.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Well the thing with it being client side is that your rich infestation will look different from other's rich infestation blobs. bringing it back to your point about you think you're hidden, when in fact the others don't see blobs at your location :P
  • killer monkeykiller monkey Join Date: 2010-02-26 Member: 70743Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2012
    Heh heh, sorry 'bout that Kouji
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2028179:date=Nov 18 2012, 03:00 PM:name=killer monkey)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (killer monkey @ Nov 18 2012, 03:00 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2028179"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--coloro:#FF8C00--><span style="color:#FF8C00"><!--/coloro-->*SNIP*<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Thanks for the follow-through on that note. There's nothing wrong on musings of the compromises we could reach to stop people from turning off the hard work put into the eye candy.
  • BurzghashBurzghash Join Date: 2012-09-25 Member: 160742Members, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Right now the performance difference between minimal and rich is pretty significant - as a game progresses, my performance gets significantly worse as the map gets more infested. This on top of the fact that right now all infestation does is inhibit vision and clarity.

So, minimal until they fix both performance and functionality.
  • MouseMouse The Lighter Side of Pessimism Join Date: 2002-03-02 Member: 263Members, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2027876:date=Nov 19 2012, 12:48 AM:name=Rokiyo)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rokiyo @ Nov 19 2012, 12:48 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2027876"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The new infestation is seriously sexy, I absolutely love it... But the sheer amount of potential opened up by the new system is equally impressive.

Will we be seeing more visual changes to infestation any time soon?

I'm talking about strange and alien flowers growing on the walls, vines hanging from the ceilings, thick tendrils linking cysts together, etc etc. I'd love to see infested rooms turning into small jungles!

I'd also like to see infestation becoming a little more reactive to player presence: Regular foot-traffic slowly flattening infestation globs, explosions leaving large dents, flames leaving burn marks, corpses causing the infestation underneath to swell as it devours the biomass...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    +1

I'm definitely a fan of the idea of some sort of infested areas looking more like jungles. Actually, this sort of visual diversity was a part of my motivation for suggesting <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=124778" target="_blank">Cyst Fields</a>.