Phase Gate Improvement

_-=Night_H4wK=-__-=Night_H4wK=-_ Join Date: 2012-11-16 Member: 171672Members
Hey guys,
Several times during games when playing Marines and the Commander having built over 5 phase gates, I remember every guy on the team having troubles to phase through the correct phase gate (especially when fast transfer was required)
I think it would be nice to have the possibility to phase through the exact phase gate you want
Maybe, a menu could pop up when entering a phase gate with numbers and the location of the phase gates. You would just need to press 1, 2, 3 etc... to phase through the correct phase gate.
What do you think about that ?

Comments

• glimmermanglimmerman Join Date: 2004-04-29 Member: 28300Members, Constellation
    They are fine how they are.

Having too many phase gates means your marines take longer to get to the correct destination, having too little means they have to walk a long way to get any where.

The amount of phase gates is something the commander as to decide.
  • arnyboy87arnyboy87 Join Date: 2012-08-13 Member: 155551Members
    no, no, no that it the whole point "don't Spam phase gates" if u do their should be a downside to it and marine comm's learn to recycle once you finsh your attack get rid of it only slows you down after that, with the added risk of loss
  • AltairisAltairis Join Date: 2012-11-16 Member: 171853Members
    Well I agree with NightHawk. The key with phase gates shouldnt be watching the map and hopping in and out will you get the right one. If we do want a restriction on the number of Phasegates there should just be a charge up. (ie with 5 phasegates it takes 5 seconds to warp directly to where you want vs with only 1-3 where it takes a short amount of time.

Also I hope if someday, someone invented teleportation we should at least be able to control where.
  • TinkerTinker Join Date: 2003-03-11 Member: 14395Members
    NS1 had a mod that did this. It was super nice.
  • NoMoreChilliesNoMoreChillies Join Date: 2012-11-11 Member: 169666Members
    Make the commander set the single destination of all phase gates to where he wants his marines to go.
    pipeworks gets attacked.....all phase gates send you to pipe on commanders orders.
  • tarquinbbtarquinbb Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166314Members
    edited November 2012
    i don't really have a problem with the current system...

but what would ppl think of a system where you 'pair up' the phase gates and just have a bunch of them in your main base like a 'hub' ?

like the phase gate near the armory takes you to and from outpost #1, the phase gate near the arms lab takes you to and from outpost #2 etc.

it doesn't have to be too complicated to implement, for example the commander could just assign a number to each one, say the PG in outpost #1 was destroyed, he builds it and assigns '01' which matches the '01' PG in hub.
  • LuminothLuminoth Join Date: 2012-11-16 Member: 171739Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2025541:date=Nov 16 2012, 10:42 AM:name=glimmerman)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (glimmerman @ Nov 16 2012, 10:42 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2025541"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->They are fine how they are.

Having too many phase gates means your marines take longer to get to the correct destination, having too little means they have to walk a long way to get any where.

The amount of phase gates is something the commander as to decide.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Ther is no better way I could have put it! Just consider aliens have to walk everywhere! Marine portals are perfect!
  • xxswatelitexxxxswatelitexx Join Date: 2012-11-16 Member: 171754Members
    Ya everything you do should have a Downside to it.
    Making the marines have to keep jumping through hoops to get quick access to a location is one great way to balance the speed of the movement of a marine
  • inveigleinveigle Join Date: 2004-01-07 Member: 25117Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    <!--quoteo(post=2026142:date=Nov 16 2012, 01:32 PM:name=Tinker)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tinker @ Nov 16 2012, 01:32 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2026142"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->NS1 had a mod that did this. It was super nice.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

+1, I remember that and it was beautiful. In fact, almost every server used it.
  • l3lessedl3lessed Join Date: 2010-06-07 Member: 71977Members
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Well I agree with NightHawk. The key with phase gates shouldnt be watching the map and hopping in and out will you get the right one. If we do want a restriction on the number of Phasegates there should just be a charge up. (ie with 5 phasegates it takes 5 seconds to warp directly to where you want vs with only 1-3 where it takes a short amount of time.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Make the commander set the single destination of all phase gates to where he wants his marines to go.
    pipeworks gets attacked.....all phase gates send you to pipe on commanders orders.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

These two things together might be a good compromise, because it still requires proper commander managing and use. I also think not being able to select a destination point, either by the commander or player, is not a good mechanical choice. Also, just like NS1, it will only be a matter of time until most servers run some MOD based on this. UWE might as well put a balanced version in NS2 Vanilla.