getting rid of flamethrower

Trance420Trance420 Join Date: 2010-03-31 Member: 71135Members
<div class="IPBDescription">for hmg</div>i know flamethrower like was like "wow amazing effect, flaming in yo face" addition to the Natural Selection 2 but the weapon itself is very useless against lifeforms. HMG for example, can easily take down blanking away sissy fades. <i><b>NS2Classic has already implement a fully working hmg/model so might as well transfer to the main game.</b></i>

Comments

• EmooEmoo Ibasa Join Date: 2002-12-20 Member: 11198Members
    Flamethrower is a support weapon, and it's great for supporting against groups of aliens and buildings. It's like spores, probably wont get a kill but weakens and disorientates the enemy, plus added bonus that it's good against structures as well.
  • BlindgaBlindga Join Date: 2012-10-21 Member: 162931Members
    Disagree.

We don't need to try to duplicate NS1 anymore than we have to. If they added the HMG I would like to see it be different from NS1 in it's purpose. I would like to see it behave more like a slow suppression/crowd control/support fire type weapon rather than just a beefier version of the rifle.
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I'm for leaving the Flamethrower and adding in a portable plasma gun for AA to fill the "So i need to kill an Onos" gap left by the HMG

Think half clip size of LMG, half fire rate, 20 dmg per shot, with a small AoE damage radius where it hits
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited November 2012
    EXO was actually the replacement for the HMG (with armour), the flamethrower is just a special cupcake that does wonders against infestation

I still would love the HMG though, the reload cycle is what set it apart from the rifle. It isn't just a simple upgrade from the rifle... Jetpack powered madness, MADNESS I TELLZ YA! :D
  • SaniKSaniK Join Date: 2012-11-04 Member: 166850Members
    How about keeping the flamethrower and adding HMG however greatly reduce the accuracy of the HMG to make it only good for fades and onos.
  • deathshrouddeathshroud Join Date: 2010-04-10 Member: 71291Members
    edited November 2012
    mo the flamer is fine vs aliens, its not to op and there are far better weapons, but i think it needs a buff vs structures.
  • JeehaoJeehao Join Date: 2012-11-08 Member: 168294Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2026656:date=Nov 16 2012, 10:33 PM:name=deathshroud)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (deathshroud @ Nov 16 2012, 10:33 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2026656"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->mo the flamer is fine vs aliens, its not to op and there are far better weapons, but i think it needs a buff vs structures.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I have seen jetpacking marines take out hives alone with a flamethrower.
    The commander just need to give ammo to the flamethrower and it is gg if the Aliens can't reach the marine.
  • purephoenixpurephoenix Join Date: 2012-11-17 Member: 172074Members
    The HMG wasn't necessary for it's damage or range however. It was popular because of it's clip size and hitscan mechanics.

The flamer is a poor replacement because the "OMG MY EYES ARE BLEEDING" screen blocking of the fire effect results in poor accuracy. Furthermore many shots can be missed even when you get used to that, because it's not hitscan so it suffers diminishing returns against fast moving fades, lerks and skulks.

In short, the removal of the HMG has left a huge gap where players who can't aim well are left completely ineffective.

Saying the EXO suite is a replacement is a poor argument, HMG could be given to standard and jetpack marines. Plus it cost 1/2 to a 1/3rd of the cost of an exo. Then there's also the "omg my eyes are bleeding" glare from the muzzle flash on the exos, once again making aim suffer.
  • RokiyoRokiyo A.K.A. .::FeX::. Revenge Join Date: 2002-10-10 Member: 1471Members, Constellation
    Keep in mind that alien energy regen is severely reduced while the alien is on fire.

If fades stop being awful, flamethrowers will probably make a huge comeback because it's one of the few ways to stop a fade from escaping.
  • BearTornadoBearTornado Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 166223Members
    edited November 2012
    You do realize a focused attack of flamethrowers on an onos renders it nearly impossible to attack properly? I got locked in such a situation the other day because I didn't realize how significant the effects of the flamethrower are. I was unable to use normal attacks, much less run away properly. Pretty sure it was just one person flaming me too.
    If the debuff stacks sure, it could be good.
    However these pro-flamer arguments don't address the issue of multiple oni.

There's nothing to counter that at the moment, appart from multiple EXOs and that results in stagnant gameplay and a locked strategic importance.
  • IdlerayIdleray Join Date: 2012-10-04 Member: 161464Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Bad idea is bad.

HMG have been replaced by Exos, for the 1000th time.

Also HMGs in the hands of JPs were bad for gameplay.

Flamethrowers could use some improvement, but the basic idea behind them as a support weapon that drains energy and kills cysts fast is interesting.
    <!--quoteo(post=2027712:date=Nov 18 2012, 07:46 PM:name=Idleray)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Idleray @ Nov 18 2012, 07:46 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2027712"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Also HMGs in the hands of JPs were bad for gameplay.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Nobody said that, ever. Where'd you even get that idea?
    jp/hmg was the only hard counter to a good fade, since shotguns are useless at long range.
    Only reason why ns2 MIGHT be different is if fades are under powered and need a buff.
  • LUSITANERLUSITANER Join Date: 2010-09-19 Member: 74086Members
    edited November 2012
    NUKE.

Nuff said.

oh, and no. The flamethrower is in to stay. If you want to add another gun, then thats ok for me.
    I'm in favor or just adding the hmg back in.
    Flamethrower is fine, it's the attitude of "It REPLACED the hmg" which is ridiculously beyond stupid.
    The two weapons served completely different purposes and marines are broken without the HMG.

Gameplay is stale because without jp/hmg it's an armour upgrade + exo rush.
    <u><b>EVERY. DAMN. GAME.</b></u>
  • qweewq990qweewq990 Join Date: 2012-11-18 Member: 172230Members
    edited November 2012
    If the flamethrowers other features will be more fun.

Like lost consumption whole gas clip.

occurs persistence area flame tens of seconds.

To cause some deterrence.
    ( equivalent to firewall )

-----------------------
    By the way.

Grenades before will happen again?
  • LUSITANERLUSITANER Join Date: 2010-09-19 Member: 74086Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2027778:date=Nov 18 2012, 11:56 AM:name=purephoenix)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (purephoenix @ Nov 18 2012, 11:56 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2027778"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm in favor or just adding the hmg back in.
    Flamethrower is fine, it's the attitude of "It REPLACED the hmg" which is ridiculously beyond stupid.
    The two weapons served completely different purposes and marines are broken without the HMG.

Gameplay is stale because without jp/hmg it's an armour upgrade + exo rush.
    <u><b>EVERY. DAMN. GAME.</b></u><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Actually, and it has been stated frequently on this forum, the (classic) HMG is the only broken thing we can talk of. It added nothing to the gameplay, and now we have miniguns. However, i wont oppose to the addition (mod-like) of much more weapons and diversity to the game.
    Nah buddy, i played NS1 for 10 years and have been on the forums regularly.

Nobody ever said HMG was broken and i challenge you to prove otherwise.