New pc... thoughts?

cilerciler Join Date: 2002-12-17 Member: 10959Members
Hi all..

Im looking to get a new PC so I can play ns2 & not drop to 7fps in heavy fire fights :) Just wanted some opinions on the following options & what sort of performance I should expect?.. (on a limited budget).

System components:
CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K
Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-M Motherboard
Graphics: Galaxy GeForce GTX 670 2GB 915MHz
Memory: G.Skill Sniper F3-14900CL9D-8GBSR 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3
Solid State Drive: SanDisk Extreme Solid State Drive 120GB
Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 

Cheers!

Comments

• ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    That's a pretty good setup. You plan on OCing?
  • NoMoreChilliesNoMoreChillies Join Date: 2012-11-11 Member: 169666Members
    make sure your CPU runs at 3.6ghz or higher
    this game is CPU heavy
  • buhehebuhehe Join Date: 2012-05-15 Member: 152140Members
    edited November 2012
    Nice setup indeed, you didn't mention a PSU btw.

Also, let me suggest you the Samsung 830 SSD.
    It's one of the most reliable units out there, along with crucial M4, it earned quite a reputation.
    Also, these two SSDs provide best performance with uncompressed data, unlike Sandforce based SSDs (like most Corsair, OCZ, Intel).

If money's not a problem, I'd suggest going for a 256gb one.
    I own the 128gb version and sometimes I feel a little cramped in there :p

EDIT: I suggest you get an aftermarket cooler for you CPU in case you want to overclock.
  • upperdemoonupperdemoon Join Date: 2012-10-22 Member: 163147Members
    edited November 2012
    I'am gonna hijack your thread, since i think it would be useless to open another thread for this, but i'am looking for a new good gaming PC

CPU: Intel Core i7-3820 3.60 GHz
    Motherboard: MSI X79A-GD45 (8D)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16 GB DDR3-1600 Quad-Kit
    Hard Drive: 2000 GB SataIII

So is this already good?

And for cooling i can choose to go with a fan or liquid:
    Fan: CoolerMaster Gemin II SF524
    Liquid: Waterkoeling Corsair Hydro H80 (costs more 59€)

and GPU, what is best? to just take 1 good card, or go for 2 lower cards?
    1 Card: nVidia GTX680 2GB
    2 Cards: Nvidia GTX660Ti 2GB

If i would just take the fan then i would come with this prices for whole PC (Black Ops 2 with mousemat included):
    1 Card: 1.588€
    2 Cards: 1.678€

So, what should i choose?

ALSO: for an addional 20€ i can let them tune my system to overclock it while keeping its durability and my garancy stays, should i do that, and should i take the liquid cooling then? or keep it at the fan?

Thanks in advance :3 (also, it is possible that some stuff still is in Dutch, so if someone speaks Dutch, say it and i'll give the Dutch version)

EDIT: also, about mouse, keyboard and headset, should i stay with my old gear? (old big keyboard, old mouse with just 2 buttons and wheel, good headset, old cheap microphone)
    Or should i buy (If i buy them togheter, it is 250€):
    - <a href="http://www.cmstorm.com/en/products/audio/sirus/" target="_blank">Headset for 109€</a>
    - <a href="http://www.cmstorm.com/en/products/keyboards/Trigger/" target="_blank">Keyboard for 109€</a>
    - <a href="http://www.cmstorm.com/en/products/peripherals/inferno/" target="_blank">Mouse for 45€</a>
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2028137:date=Nov 18 2012, 12:58 PM:name=upperdemoon)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (upperdemoon @ Nov 18 2012, 12:58 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2028137"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'am gonna hijack your thread, since i think it would be useless to open another thread for this, but i'am looking for a new good gaming PC

CPU: Intel Core i7-3820 3.60 GHz
    Motherboard: MSI X79A-GD45 (8D)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16 GB DDR3-1600 Quad-Kit
    Hard Drive: 2000 GB SataIII

So is this already good?

And for cooling i can choose to go with a fan or liquid:
    Fan: CoolerMaster Gemin II SF524
    Liquid: Waterkoeling Corsair Hydro H80 (costs more 59€)

and GPU, what is best? to just take 1 good card, or go for 2 lower cards?
    1 Card: nVidia GTX680 2GB
    2 Cards: Nvidia GTX660Ti 2GB

If i would just take the fan then i would come with this prices for whole PC (Black Ops 2 with mousemat included):
    1 Card: 1.588€
    2 Cards: 1.678€

So, what should i choose?

ALSO: for an addional 20€ i can let them tune my system to overclock it while keeping its durability and my garancy stays, should i do that, and should i take the liquid cooling then? or keep it at the fan?

Thanks in advance :3 (also, it is possible that some stuff still is in Dutch, so if someone speaks Dutch, say it and i'll give the Dutch version)

EDIT: also, about mouse, keyboard and headset, should i stay with my old gear? (old big keyboard, old mouse with just 2 buttons and wheel, good headset, old cheap microphone)
    Or should i buy (If i buy them togheter, it is 250€):
    - <a href="http://www.cmstorm.com/en/products/audio/sirus/" target="_blank">Headset for 109€</a>
    - <a href="http://www.cmstorm.com/en/products/keyboards/Trigger/" target="_blank">Keyboard for 109€</a>
    - <a href="http://www.cmstorm.com/en/products/peripherals/inferno/" target="_blank">Mouse for 45€</a><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I suppose the choice depends on what you want your system to do. If you're looking to be able to play the latest games for the longest time, but accept lower performance in NS2 then I'd go with
    <!--c1--><div class='codetop'>CODE</div><div class='codemain'><!--ec1-->i7-3820 (Can't OC this CPU so the watercooling is just excessive)
    CoolerMaster Gemin II SF524
    2000 GB SataIII
    2xNvidia GTX660Ti 2GB<!--c2--></div><!--ec2-->

If you're willing to sacrifice some future-proofing for better performance in NS2, I'd go with
    <!--c1--><div class='codetop'>CODE</div><div class='codemain'><!--ec1-->i7-2600k or i7-3770k (OC to the 4.4-4.6GHz range)
    Waterkoeling Corsair Hydro H80
    nVidia GTX680 2GB  
    120-256GB SSD (if you can fit it into your budget)
    2000 GB SataIII<!--c2--></div><!--ec2-->

As for accessories, I view better headsets and keyboards as luxuries, but a better mouse a necessity. NS2 depends heavily on fast reflexes, so the most important factor is finding a mouse you're comfortable doing twitch movement. I'd try to find a store that showcases mouses and go and try out all the mice to find the one best suited to you. Personally, I like 4-5 button mice, since I like having easy access to the minimap and voice chat buttons, but you can get away with a basic two-button variety just fine.
    alrighty thanks, i'll take probaly the first with 2 cards :), also, what is the good thing in using 2 cards? (i can't seem to find any good explanation), and yeah, i think i might just buy the keyboard and mice :p
    <!--quoteo(post=2028511:date=Nov 18 2012, 10:24 PM:name=upperdemoon)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (upperdemoon @ Nov 18 2012, 10:24 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2028511"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->alrighty thanks, i'll take probaly the first with 2 cards :), also, what is the good thing in using 2 cards? (i can't seem to find any good explanation), and yeah, i think i might just buy the keyboard and mice :p<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    In most games, the power of two current gen, mid-range GPUs with outperform a single, high-range CPU (see <a href="http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=971&Itemid=72&limit=1&limitstart=6" target="_blank">this benchmark</a> showing two GTX660Ti's outperforming a single GTX680). However, NS2 is generally CPU bottlenecked on most systems, so having greater GPU power doesn't improve in-game performance.
    Yeah, about the CPU for NS2, i noticed that :3

:O <= was my face when i opened that link.... It is actually WAY MORE powerfull :o

so the SLI means 2 cards?

THANK YOU for the awesome help :D
    <!--quoteo(post=2028789:date=Nov 19 2012, 07:10 AM:name=upperdemoon)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (upperdemoon @ Nov 19 2012, 07:10 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2028789"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yeah, about the CPU for NS2, i noticed that :3

:O <= was my face when i opened that link.... It is actually WAY MORE powerfull :o

so the SLI means 2 cards?

THANK YOU for the awesome help :D<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yup, SLI is Nvidia's term and Crossfire is AMD's term for dual (or triple) video cards. Glad to help :)
    Ah, thank you very much :3
  • kalvkalv Join Date: 2004-09-04 Member: 31339Members
    edited November 2012
    You can play all games out right now on high with that set up. Good gaming computer. Might still lag because the game isn't 100% optimized.