Sentry's in NS2

Greavol29Greavol29 Join Date: 2012-11-17 Member: 172028Members
Whats up with people not using sentry's in NS2? Are they really that bad? It makes defending certain spots alot better. Instead of letting an army of skulks just bash an unprotected powernode/extracter. You could maybe build some sentry's, allowing more time to get back to where they are attacking. Numerous times I see commanders just rebuilding Extracters. I know they don't do OP dmg(thats what PPL wan't in the end), but not using them at all is just awkward.

Do you otherwise wan't to get the sentry's buffed up to a point where you don't have to pay attention to them anymore? That would seriously imbalance some things.

Let me hear what you think about it...

Comments

• tarquinbbtarquinbb Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166314Members
    edited November 2012
    sentry battery + 3 x sentry = 25 resources.
    consensus: a single skulk can kill them all using LoS to avoid taking damage. a total waste of resources.

phase gate + armory = 25 resources.
    consensus: as long as marines are alert, the area becomes almost impossible for aliens to reclaim.

fun fact: if you place 3 sentry gun's to defend a lone extractor, it takes 210 seconds before that extractor starts to turn a profit. plus it can still be killed by a lone skulk.

edit: i only ever place sentry's when my team is awful and only ever to defend key locations like 2nd tech points which already have PG, armory, observatory etc.
  • RobustPenguinRobustPenguin Join Date: 2012-08-17 Member: 155719Members
    Complete waste of resources. Just buy a pack of mines to plonk on the power/PG/observatory and be done with it
  • RokiyoRokiyo A.K.A. .::FeX::. Revenge Join Date: 2002-10-10 Member: 1471Members, Constellation
    While waiting to respawn earlier today, I watched a skulk casually chomping on a phase gate while a sentry was shooting him at point blank range.

I hatched before he died.
  • project_demonproject_demon Join Date: 2003-07-12 Member: 18103Members
    sentries suck, waste of res. They should buff them or just take them out, eventually no one will use them once new people realize how bad they are so what's the point of having them?

I don't get the argument "we want this to be player vs player game not player v structure".... you know the aliens have a lot of defensive structures that can kill us, and as a marine i find myself shooting these structures a LOT in games...
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited November 2012
    They're generally a waste of res because phase gates do a MUCH better job at maintaining map control and don't become redundant once aliens have 2 hives and bilebomb. The only time I ever build them is for laughs when we have too much res or the game is already won anyway. They really need to get rid of the sentry battery, just allow non-restricted placement of those 3 sentries in a room, rather than forcing the commander to group them around a vulnerable and pointless sentry battery.

By getting rid of the battery, a single bilebomb will no longer obliterate all three sentry guns in seconds at least, and power nodes will affect them, just like they affect all other marine structures. (consistency is important in an already complex game like this). In addition, they could probably use a little more HP in general.
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2026809:date=Nov 17 2012, 12:51 PM:name=project_demon)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (project_demon @ Nov 17 2012, 12:51 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2026809"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->sentries suck, waste of res. They should buff them or just take them out, eventually no one will use them once new people realize how bad they are so what's the point of having them?

I don't get the argument "we want this to be player vs player game not player v structure".... you know the aliens have a lot of defensive structures that can kill us, and as a marine i find myself shooting these structures a LOT in games...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

if you're attacking a hive, you can very quickly build a few sentry guns inside the hive room to support your attack.

how can skulks effectively take out the marines when there's 3 sentry guns to worry about? it almost completely nullifies the defenders advantage.

sentry does have uses... it's just a really terrible static defender. i guess once you kill the hive you can recycle the sentry's and push forward with the same offensive sentry tactic.

i've noticed pub commanders are starting to experiment with ARC... it's only a matter of time before more start experimenting with offensive sentry, because they (in theory) could be extremely strong if used correctly.
  • DestherDesther Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165195Members
    edited November 2012
    It depends on how reactive your marines are. A lot of players will group together and you end up with the whole team in 1 pack with nobody wanting to go alone to defend an isolated res tower. Plus, I see a lot of skulks needlessly die to sentries. They can help fortifying rooms that you've just taken and make up for lack of coordination from your team.
  • MaximumSquidMaximumSquid Join Date: 2010-07-20 Member: 72593Members
    <u><b>tarquinbb:</b></u>

Where are you getting your information?

Batteries are 5 so a full nest is only 20

Sentry nest in hive is official the cheapest strat marines can use to win a game and has been for a few patches

The second best strat right now is for marines to win in midgame by rushing arms lab <i>(usually requiring that you sell the armory)</i>

This requires that your team can shoot; however, and isn't always in the cards
  • JuomariJuomari Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167141Members
    There's nothing wrong with sentries, people uses them the wrong way ( way op suggests ).

sentries alone cant do anything, if you plant them in every res node, youre doing it wrong, they cant protect both rt and powernode, so skulks can sneak behind rt and reason you planted sentries is wasted, only noob skulks gets intimated by sentries, neither can they protect tech location alone.

the real use of turrets are the same as gorges hydras, you plant them in to the "hot zone", in place both sides try to constantly get, they provide extra firepower and helps marines.

so to op :

yes, sentries are prettymuch useless the way you try to suggest, they are not worth the res to plant in everysingle node in the map, it takes like someone said 3minutes for that resnode to payback those turrets, and that's not the worstpart, because those turrets wont help anything, skulk can still destroy in worst case both turrets and rt.

here is funny fact also : when you leave that resourcetower unprotected, even if it gets instantly destroyed by 1 skulk, it's still worth the res because of ammount of time it takes to bite it down, and the sametime you slowdown that skulk.

so just keep rebuilding those resourcetowers, its alot smarter than planting turrets.
  • project_demonproject_demon Join Date: 2003-07-12 Member: 18103Members
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2026826:date=Nov 17 2012, 08:14 AM:name=tarquinbb)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (tarquinbb @ Nov 17 2012, 08:14 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2026826"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->if you're attacking a hive, you can very quickly build a few sentry guns inside the hive room to support your attack.

how can skulks effectively take out the marines when there's 3 sentry guns to worry about? it almost completely nullifies the defenders advantage.

sentry does have uses... it's just a really terrible static defender. i guess once you kill the hive you can recycle the sentry's and push forward with the same offensive sentry tactic.

i've noticed pub commanders are starting to experiment with ARC... it's only a matter of time before more start experimenting with offensive sentry, because they (in theory) could be extremely strong if used correctly.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

If you have time and res to do that, not to mention it has to be built off creep, then you're going to kill that hive with or without the sentries anyways, they won't make or break your assault... far from it.

I think UWE needs to reevaluate the role of the sentry, what do they want it to be? Charlie admitted himself that they wanted to take it out but it felt like it belonged in the game so they simply couldn't (being aliens vs marines). Every time he mentions them, it's as if he really wants them to be effective vs. buildings only, he keeps referring to "we want pvp and not player vs structure". I really don't see the big deal, how are sentries different than hydras and whips? they're structures that marines have to deal with all the time, and they can be massed and healed autonomously (crags).

I understand in NS1 there used to be sentry spamming, but this can easily be handeled in NS2, in fact it already is (limit 3 per room). I keep seeing new commanders go for sentries for defense not knowing how bad they are... they are misled. Why does't the sentry tooltip say how much damage they do, and how fast they fire? perhaps if people had the info they wouldn't spent res on sentries.
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2026838:date=Nov 17 2012, 01:21 PM:name=MaximumSquid)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MaximumSquid @ Nov 17 2012, 01:21 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2026838"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><u><b>tarquinbb:</b></u>

Where are you getting your information?

Batteries are 5 so a full nest is only 20

Sentry nest in hive is official the cheapest strat marines can use to win a game and has been for a few patches

The second best strat right now is for marines to win in midgame by rushing arms lab <i>(usually requiring that you sell the armory)</i>

This requires that your team can shoot; however, and isn't always in the cards<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

i wasn't 100% sure, but i thought it was 10, so i checked the wiki to confirm battery = 10.

<a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/wiki/index.php/Sentry_Battery" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/wiki/inde.../Sentry_Battery</a>
  • JKooLJKooL Join Date: 2002-12-24 Member: 11492Members, Constellation
    edited November 2012
    In my experience, sentries have always been extremely useless and a waste of res, even as forward assistance for marines. As a marine, however, I am starting to get annoyed at running into whips, hydras, clogs, and all kinds of crap that there is no way to deal with. There is not enough res on a marine game to effectively utilize the ARC because you need upgrades and exo's. I don't know what the solution is so I won't suggest one. I think removing the sentry battery could be a good start though.
  • NeoRussiaNeoRussia Join Date: 2012-08-04 Member: 154743Members
    edited November 2012
    If you build a robo and sentries in 3-4 rooms you have used all of the resources you would have otherwise spent on already having protolab tech researched. You also give up any upgrades and phasegates as you are getting sentries up as fast as you can. Technically even building the robo itself would set you behind by a large amount. All this for static defence which is only good at hitting lerks. Even if you have them positioned in a hallway they won't be able to kill a skulk that runs down and kills the battery.

Against any good alien commander you would be facing a 6 min onos without any weapons, research, or upgrades, just stock marines and sentries, unless you skip out on getting extractors and don't research phase which is what happens almost all the time. If you are facing a bad alien commander you would still lose, as you are giving up map control aka the game to turtle like an idiot and waste an hour of your marines' time building worthless static defences instead of supporting them, akin to trolling. Early robo should be met with vote to eject.
  • Nyuu?Nyuu? Join Date: 2012-11-17 Member: 172070Members
    edited November 2012
    Sentrys are mostly a waste of res...mostly! I've been in a game, where the aliens had to much mapcontrol and onos. We set up a pack of sentrys in our base, all facing in one direction. When the onos came, he was hit by a hell lot of bullets an didn't even made it into our base. Sometimes it's effective but most times it's more effective to build/research something else...

Edit:

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Here comes an "s," better apostrophe it!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Sorry, I'm german and I haven't used english in a while. ;) I hope you can understand me. :P
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Here comes an "s," better apostrophe it!
  • lolwowlolwow Join Date: 2012-10-06 Member: 161681Members
    Anyone tried the player made "classic" mod? They basically go for the old NS1 feel where buildings can be planted everywhere and so sentries are unlimited. And boy let me tell you, that mod really reminded how annoying beyond words sentry spam was, so goo riddance you can't spam them anymore.
  • cake.cake. Join Date: 2012-01-12 Member: 140165Members
    edited November 2012
    Just like pointed out, sentries are a complete waste of resources. Not only a single skulk can take out a sentry nest, but also a gorge by simply poking out of a corner a couple of times to drop a couple of bilebombs. Their price (which is not only the res, but also the time it takes to build them and the requirement of a marine near by to fix, also i dont know if you still require a robo to buy them, cz if you do, there shouldnt even be an argument here) compared to their value, makes them absolutely useless.
    The only scenario in which I see sentries working is the very early game, when bb is not an option and skulks dont have upgrades. But the time and resources it will take you to put them up, will hinder your mid game, ultimately losing you your late game.
    The only people I have seen using sentries are new comers, and that is completely fine. It's just that I have yet to play a game in which the teams are balanced, and marines win having gone for sentries early on.
    To sum up, there are plenty of other vital things you could be spending your res on.
  • drilltoothdrilltooth Join Date: 2012-11-12 Member: 170096Members
    honestly, In my experience, the people who complain about robo factories being built, are the ones least likely to buy a welder and divert from the front to patch power nodes and rebuild extractors. as for the topic at hand, sentries make one more thing for the aliens to think about. Yes, on their own, they suck. but when it comes down to it, it's One less vent your marines have to actively watch during the push. 20 Tres investment to keep 35+ Pres focused on the attack. will it work all the time? no, Nor do exos, or JP grenadiers.
  • 1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2026882:date=Nov 17 2012, 10:53 AM:name=JKooL)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (JKooL @ Nov 17 2012, 10:53 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2026882"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->In my experience, sentries have always been extremely useless and a waste of res, even as forward assistance for marines. As a marine, however, I am starting to get annoyed at running into whips, hydras, clogs, and all kinds of crap that there is no way to deal with. There is not enough res on a marine game to effectively utilize the ARC because you need upgrades and exo's. I don't know what the solution is so I won't suggest one. I think removing the sentry battery could be a good start though.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    The solution is bullets.

<!--quoteo(post=2026809:date=Nov 17 2012, 08:51 AM:name=project_demon)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (project_demon @ Nov 17 2012, 08:51 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2026809"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I don't get the argument "we want this to be player vs player game not player v structure".... you know the aliens have a lot of defensive structures that can kill us, and as a marine i find myself shooting these structures a LOT in games...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Two, they have two structures and one of those dies in 1 lmg clip while the other has near melee range.

Also sentries are for supporting your marines, not for defending on their own. With sentries 1 marine can do the job of 3.
  • NoMoreChilliesNoMoreChillies Join Date: 2012-11-11 Member: 169666Members
    let commanders setup sentries in crossfire patterns to cover a whole room
    this having to place them next to a battery is silly
  • unkindunkind Join Date: 2012-02-04 Member: 143563Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2026912:date=Nov 17 2012, 10:46 AM:name=Squishpoke)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Squishpoke @ Nov 17 2012, 10:46 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2026912"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Here comes an "s," better apostrophe it!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

thank you lol

wtf is up with these kids nowadays