horrible fps drops

TomKillaTomKilla Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165273Members
Hey guys,

NS2 runs quite well on my pc on middle settings (non-infested territory about 50 fps) and it still looks good. but the fps drops nearly to 10 when I run through infested territory. I hope you guys at UWE work on the performance because at this moment its not fully enjoyable. However, this game is really great. Thanks.

My rig

Intel Q8800 @ 4x 2,67 GHz
4 Gb ddr2
nVidia geforce 560 Ti @ 1024 mb
22" widescreen tft

Comments

• zanandanzanandan Join Date: 2012-11-13 Member: 170585Members
    I've been having this same problem on a rig with significant improve on OP's rig. I have tried almost everything I could think of to fix this. re install drivers, played with all sorts of combinations of settings. testing if other programs were interfering..... nothing worked what so ever.
  • TomKillaTomKilla Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165273Members
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2022422:date=Nov 13 2012, 01:10 PM:name=zanandan)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (zanandan @ Nov 13 2012, 01:10 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2022422"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I've been having this same problem on a rig with significant improve on OP's rig. I have tried almost everything I could think of to fix this. re install drivers, played with all sorts of combinations of settings. testing if other programs were interfering..... nothing worked what so ever.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    So did I :)
  • cikamecikame Join Date: 2011-09-21 Member: 122491Members
    For me it seems as soon as infestation starts to spread and some structures go up i get severely reduced frame rate.
    The start of games i get around 70 then it slowly drops to around 30.

Intel Quad 3Ghz
    8GB RAM
    GeForce GTX580
    Windows 7 Pro 64bit
    Installed on an SSD
  • RMJRMJ Join Date: 2012-08-09 Member: 155190Members
    According to what ive been told, if the server is running like crap, somehow you will actually get low FPS, ive never heard of that in any other game before.

But it does seem to be the cause here.

Sometimes suddenly my game will go down to almost slide show, like 5-15 fps. it makes no sense :S
  • IdlerayIdleray Join Date: 2012-10-04 Member: 161464Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    a stopgap measure would be going to graphics and turning infestation to minimal.
  • sushia11sushia11 Join Date: 2012-10-12 Member: 162112Members
    For both members that posted specs, your cpu clock is the issue. Especially for the OP. Both your gpus should be able to run the game fine, but high clocks are very important. You may look at the system req. on the steam page for NS2 and see you have the minimum of 2.6, but more is almost mandatory.

3.0 ghz is okay, but you'll still get low fps at times of great stress.

You guys should both overclock you cpus (please tell me you can!). Turning off stuff like bloom and atmospherics (which are gpu bound) probably wouldn't helkp so much. I'm not sure if shadows run off the cpu, but I believe they do. Don't quote me on that though; it's just that ARMA 2 ran shadows weird.
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    First, please post a list of what graphic options you have activated / deactivated in the menu.
    Have you tested your FPS in explore mod or on an actual server?
    If you experience this huge fps drops, open the console and type "r_stats".
    In the first line of the first paragraph are your FPS. In the first line of the second paragraph should be a number of ms (milliseconds) this is how long your CPU waits for your GPU to finish calculating the frame. If this value jumps higher than 1 or 2 your graphic card can't handle the graphics. Try reducing the resolution and deactivate graphic options. (Don't deactivate multi-threading!)

If your CPU does not need to wait on your graphics card, it may be the server. Type "r_stats" into the console again to deactivate the FPS-info and type "net_stats" to show the stats of the network connection and server.
    Somewhere there is a number of how many ticks the server has right now. (=How many updates per second he does on the game world.)
    The maximum are 30 ticks. If it goes down to 20 or even less, the server hardware can't handle the game. Try to find a server that can hold the 30 ticks even in late game.

You also need to understand that NS2 is not like a normal FPS game.
    It is the CPU of the server that has to calculate all the logic. The game logic of NS2 is far superior to your normal FPS game. In CS for example, the server has to check every players position and direction, health, ammo, if he fires, if he is blinded. Additionally every thrown grenade and the bomb every second. Thats it.
    Now to NS2. Despite the bomb NS2 got everything that CS has to calculate. Add to this. Every cyst needs to be calculated. Its health, how far it has spread infestation, if it is connected or not, if it is ruptured and matured. The same for every building. Is it upgraded? Is it placed on infestation? If the active ability is activated. All passive abilities, like what buildings need to be cloaked (shade), are there entities in the radius that need healing (craig), or energy regen (shift). Whips, hydras, sentries and mines need to check if there is an enemy in range. Marine buildings need to be checked if they are powered. Drifter scouting and Macs welding. And so on... I may have forgotten half of the things that a server has to calculate 30 times per second!

There are so much more logically complex and dynamic entities in NS2 as in a normal FPS. This is, why it demands more CPU power. The graphic card isn't the problem in most cases.
  • SjNSjN Join Date: 2003-01-07 Member: 11983Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    <!--quoteo(post=2023180:date=Nov 14 2012, 09:47 AM:name=_Necro_)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (_Necro_ @ Nov 14 2012, 09:47 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2023180"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->First, please post a list of what graphic options you have activated / deactivated in the menu.
    Have you tested your FPS in explore mod or on an actual server?
    If you experience this huge fps drops, open the console and type "r_stats".
    In the first line of the first paragraph are your FPS. In the first line of the second paragraph should be a number of ms (milliseconds) this is how long your CPU waits for your GPU to finish calculating the frame. If this value jumps higher than 1 or 2 your graphic card can't handle the graphics. Try reducing the resolution and deactivate graphic options. (Don't deactivate multi-threading!)

If your CPU does not need to wait on your graphics card, it may be the server. Type "r_stats" into the console again to deactivate the FPS-info and type "net_stats" to show the stats of the network connection and server.
    Somewhere there is a number of how many ticks the server has right now. (=How many updates per second he does on the game world.)
    The maximum are 30 ticks. If it goes down to 20 or even less, the server hardware can't handle the game. Try to find a server that can hold the 30 ticks even in late game.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Very informative. Thanks!
  • wahnvorstellungwahnvorstellung Join Date: 2012-11-14 Member: 170949Members
    I believe there is sth. terrible wrong with texture loading. Every time i reach an infested area, there are hickups / small lags.

an i3570k + GTX 670 should be able to perform this game on FullHD + Max details, but they are apparntly not enough.
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2023278:date=Nov 14 2012, 06:30 PM:name=wahnvorstellung)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (wahnvorstellung @ Nov 14 2012, 06:30 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2023278"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I believe there is sth. terrible wrong with texture loading. Every time i reach an infested area, there are hickups / small lags.

an i3570k + GTX 670 should be able to perform this game on FullHD + Max details, but they are apparntly not enough.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Read my post above and give some feedback, if you want help.
  • ruthven78ruthven78 Join Date: 2012-11-15 Member: 171330Members
    amd 8x 3.1 OC'd to 3.9
    HD Radeon 7950
    8gh ram

no problems whatsoever
  • ClydeClyde Join Date: 2012-11-15 Member: 171438Members
    Could this game be very CPU intensive at times? I'm playing in 1080p with everything on except ambient occlusion. I'll get upwards of 100fps when nothing is going on and get as low as 30 in a 24 man server when there are a lot of people on screen. Also, I've noticed I get significantly worse fps when I'm moving around the map quickly as an alien (like in the 50s despite nothing happening). I've noticed that when my fps drops, my GPU usage also goes down as well. GPU usage will be over 90% when nothing is going on but then in hectic areas it will go down into the 50s.

i7 920 @ 3.6Ghz
    6GB RAM
    GTX 680

Do I need a better CPU? Would more RAM help?
  • NeoRussiaNeoRussia Join Date: 2012-08-04 Member: 154743Members
    edited November 2012
    Anything that isn't an i7 clocked past 4Ghz is not going to get you perfect fps, sadly. I usually get 40-50 at the start and 20-30 when infestation is all over the map, with a 3Ghz Core2Quad. I get those hiccups too where the game freezes for a second. Also can't run on high textures even with a GTX460 1GB because infestation takes all of my vram. I don't know what they can do about it because of how infestation is implemented, perhaps make it so it can be disabled completely? People who play a serious shooter like NS2 hardly care about aesthetics past initial impressions anyway, especially if it hinders framerate. NS2 runs well without infestation on 16 player servers as seen in NS2:Classic.
  • xDragonxDragon Join Date: 2012-04-04 Member: 149948Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2012
    Game runs absolutely terrible for me in recent builds, I would say I get about 40 less fps than B224/225. I average about 50-60 fps early game and later game <30, with hive pushes generally going below 10. They made some cinematic changes I think and best I can tell there is some that are horribly optimized. Odd thing is in the RR on veil in vanilla NS2 i get about 120fps, in that same location in NS2c i get about 200, and thats not on any team, with the game completely clear of any extra ents... It makes no sense why my FPS is so much lower in vanilla.

System is an i5 3570k at 4.4 ghz and a GTX 670, so IMO that fps is pretty sad.
  • ClydeClyde Join Date: 2012-11-15 Member: 171438Members
    It's pretty funny to think that I forked out a bunch of money for a GTX 680 and then ended up playing CPU limited games in the following months. NS2, Planetside 2, MWO (maybe) all seem to be very CPU limited. This whole idea that the video card is the most important component does not seem to be true for a lot of games these days. People are buying i3s and i5s with high end video cards when it seems like they really should be spending the money on a high end i7!
  • NoMoreChilliesNoMoreChillies Join Date: 2012-11-11 Member: 169666Members
    I used to get 24fps early game that dropped to 9 fps late game

I overclocked my i5 750 from 2.6ghz to 3.6ghz (after getting the proper cooling)
    I now get 80 fps early game dropping to 49fps late game.

This game is very cpu heavy. clock speed is what u need.
  • ZaggyZaggy NullPointerException The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-12-10 Member: 24214Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Onos, Subnautica Playtester
    Moving to Tech Support.
  • Lost2againLost2again Join Date: 2012-11-17 Member: 172161Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2024803:date=Nov 15 2012, 01:27 PM:name=xDragon)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (xDragon @ Nov 15 2012, 01:27 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2024803"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><b>Game runs absolutely terrible for me in recent builds</b><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->, I would say I get about 40 less fps than B224/225. I average about 50-60 fps early game and later game <30, with hive pushes generally going below 10. They made some cinematic changes I think and best I can tell there is some that are horribly optimized. Odd thing is in the RR on veil in vanilla NS2 i get about 120fps, in that same location in NS2c i get about 200, and thats not on any team, with the game completely clear of any extra ents... It makes no sense why my FPS is so much lower in vanilla.

System is an i5 3570k at 4.4 ghz and a GTX 670, so IMO that fps is pretty sad.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That is my problem. Prior to this week (perhaps last week) the game ran fine, I never noticed any kind of lag issue at all. However now when I play their is some kind of graphic or lag hiccup that has totally ruined my ability to the play the game without wanting to break my keyboard in half. It is quite annoying :(

System: i5 3570k 3.4 Ghz
    GTX 670