Not the average performance problem :(

trizeltrizel Join Date: 2012-11-15 Member: 171388Members
Hey guys,

ns2 runs smooth @ ca. 40fps most of the time, with buildings, players & infestation... Now the problem: Sometimes after playing for like 10 minutes or so, the fps drop to 1-4 and i have to leave the server. I've experienced this in all kinds of situations, even on nearly empty servers e.g. 2v2 with almost no buildings/infestation. And i can normaly play on bigger servers even in the endgame without having bigger performance issues. Seems to occur completly random from the very fist game of a day or like after playing ns2 for like 2 hours or so.

My pc specs are : Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200 @ 2.33Ghz
4 GB Ram
GeForce GTX 460

Graphics: 1360x768
Vsinc: off
Text: Low
Infes: high
Ambient: medium
other options : on

Like i said, normaly everthing works well with this settings. P.S.: i cant turn the resolution down because im playing on a TV, lower resolution then the orginal tv resolution will drop the performance of the pc dramatically.

thx in advance

Comments

• theline123theline123 Join Date: 2012-11-16 Member: 171851Members
    I have this same exact issue, but instead I have an i7 860, 480 GTX, and 8 gigs of ram. I'll have a constant 50-60 FPS at the menu, and at the ready menu, and even when running, but for no reason apparent, after a few minutes in the game, the FPS will literally plummet to the single digits for a few moments, and then go back up.

I checked the console, and during one of the playtimes, it was saying that I was missing some texture, so I decided to verify the cache, and it came up no errors. Then I thought it seemed to correlate around the jetpacks, but during one session, it started far before the jetpacks came into play. I'm utterly bewildered, because with all the settings at max, and my FPS pretty consistent, especially with my delays being extremely minimal, I should be fine, but now its utterly unplayable after 10 minutes.
  • Thunder246Thunder246 Join Date: 2012-11-16 Member: 171789Members
    edited November 2012
    Trizel, did you try to turn off Ambient occlusion?. I turned off shadows and gained a good amount of more fps.
  • CaptnRussiaCaptnRussia Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164462Members
    Got the same problem with an i3 2.33ghz and 6 gigs of ram. Wonder what causes this sort of bug, error, egregious annoyance.
  • RadiocageRadiocage Join Date: 2002-09-30 Member: 1381Members
    edited November 2012
    140 fps in menu, 30 in some games. Not sure what's going on, got an i5 2.69 GHz, 6970 2GB, 4 GB RAM (bout to have 8)

Noticed that the game only uses about 8% of my GPU power, but uses 1.4-1.7 GB of my GPU's VRAM.
  • trizeltrizel Join Date: 2012-11-15 Member: 171388Members
    @ Thunder246,

i lowered all graphics to get a better overall performance, didnt occur since this. Cant tell what made the differce. :-/