Spectate All chat on Official servers?

KanjiNinjaKanjiNinja Join Date: 2012-11-10 Member: 169253Members
edited November 2012 in Ideas and Suggestions
<div class="IPBDescription">Ran into some bad mannered players earlier today.</div>So long story short:

A few of us had an encounter with a really foul mouthed, angry individual. He wouldn't shut up and yelled at us if we died/didn't listen to him (he wasn't comm).

When a few of us told him to shut up, he'd keep going until we muted him. When he realised nobody was listening to him he decided to spectate and relay information in ALL chat so the enemy team (and his buddies) could make use of it. In the end we won but it was incredibly annoying and a surprise to see that spectators on a official server could speak in all chat.

Below are some screenshots of the chat logs via Console.

I 'crossed' out some racial slurs but the meat of the profanity is still there so beware:

<!--coloro:#FF8C00--><span style="color:#FF8C00"><!--/coloro-->Delete the images -Kouji San<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

Can this be addressed? We've all had to have come across a rage-quitting jerk at some point in our games. Maybe one that has recycled everything because it wasn't going very well?

This is what it can lead to.

Comments

• Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited November 2012
    I edited out your images as that is not allowed on these forums. So basically your suggestion is to not allow the spectator to chat in all chat, I'd say that is a good idea for a server side variable :)
  • TimMcTimMc Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143945Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2019035:date=Nov 10 2012, 07:11 PM:name=Kouji_San)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kouji_San @ Nov 10 2012, 07:11 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2019035"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I edited out your images as that is not allowed on these forums. So basically your suggestion is to not allow the spectator to chat in all chat, I'd say that is a good idea for a server side variable :)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'd say its a good idea in general, so please turn it on by default. Talking to players turns them from a spectator into a participant.
  • KanjiNinjaKanjiNinja Join Date: 2012-11-10 Member: 169253Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2019393:date=Nov 11 2012, 02:08 AM:name=TimMc)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TimMc @ Nov 11 2012, 02:08 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2019393"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'd say its a good idea in general, so please turn it on by default. Talking to players turns them from a spectator into a participant.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Exactly my point. Thanks!
  • xxswatelitexxxxswatelitexx Join Date: 2012-11-16 Member: 171754Members
    Ya we had one guy in spectate telling the other team exactly where we were moving. It was pretty annoying
  • BlindgaBlindga Join Date: 2012-10-21 Member: 162931Members
    I was wondering how long it would take for this to start happening.

All-talk/Open chat needs to be a server side option that can be disabled. I've played a few games where rookie players would type information aloud and it can throw off a game pretty badly. Even something as innocent as "Where's our upgrades!?" from an alien can give marines the idea that the aliens aren't upgraded yet and ready to be struck down.