Quantum Conundrum

ScytheScythe Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 46NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation, Reinforced - Silver
edited June 2012 in Off-Topic
<div class="IPBDescription">WAYYY better than portal.</div>I haven't actually played it yet. It's just finished preloading on steam. Hopefully I'll raise some ire from [WHO]Them with that subtitle though.

--Scythe--

P.S. I've played it now. Looks promising! There's been a few clever puzzles already. I am very disappointed however by putrid console taint. It won't run at my monitor's native resolution (it just crashed with a "Failed to create the D3D9 Device! This can happen if the desktop is locked" error message), there's no graphics configuration options aside from a limited choice of resolutions and brightness, I get warned not to turn my computer off whilst saving after starting the game, and in order to exit the game you have to quit out to the start screen, select "Start Game" then click "Exit game". FUghhghaghhaghj. Just strip that crap in the future please, port-factories.

John De Lancie sounds like he phoned in the VO, not much emotional depth to the performance.

Comments

• lolfighterlolfighter Snark, Dire Join Date: 2003-04-20 Member: 15693Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1946049:date=Jun 23 2012, 01:47 PM:name=Scythe)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Scythe @ Jun 23 2012, 01:47 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1946049"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->FUghhghaghhaghj.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    lolfighter: "Fhqwhgads."
    Scythe: Fubugrass.
    lolfighter: Say it with a flourish. "Fhqwhgads."
    Scythe: Fooboomagoo.
    lolfighter: It doesn't sound like it looks. "Fhqwhgads."
    Sops: {popping up in the foreground} Forhorglingrads!
    lolfighter: Sops, I thought I asked you to leave, like, an hour ago.
    Temphage: {pushing Sops out of the way} DOUGLAS!!!
    lolfighter: Whoa! We've had a breakthrough! You get a gold star.
  • ComproxComprox *chortle* Canada Join Date: 2002-01-23 Member: 7Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    As far as the puzzles go: They are usually good and interesting. If you want a cheap game to challenge the ol' noodle then this game is worth it. But, now for all the small stuff that is wrong.

- consolized, as Scythe said
    - Sad voice work. With Q being the only voice in the game, he needs to carry it. The jokes usually fell flat for me.
    - platforming puzzles! Not really my favorite. This is my biggest complaint. They really take away from the puzzle part of the game here.
    - Hearing the same lines over and over and over when you die. And I die a lot on certain puzzles. Why? Because of... platforming puzzles!
  • rantologyrantology Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143750Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    I would say the acting and story are alright, but certainly not as good as portal. I haven't beaten it yet, but I did not get that same feeling of awesome depth of character and story that was pixar-esque that I got from portal yet.
  • remiremi remedy [blu.knight] Join Date: 2003-11-18 Member: 23112Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=1946049:date=Jun 23 2012, 02:47 AM:name=Scythe)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Scythe @ Jun 23 2012, 02:47 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1946049"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->WAYYY better than portal.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I haven't actually played it [yet.]<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Stopped reading.
  • playerplayer Join Date: 2010-09-12 Member: 73982Members
    There's something about these UnrealEngine3-games that always end up being crappy console-ports, lacking basic stuff like FoV, issues with key-bindings, and now even limited resolutions? What the crap. I guess I'm lucky cause the designed-resolution is exactly half of my native-resolution, but I'm still waiting for a purchase until the devs (or someone screwing about with the configs) have added proper resolution-support. Hard to believe things are this bad for PCs in 2012.
    It IS pretty startling. Resolutions are so utterly basic stuff that it should be grounds for a refund if you get them wrong.
  • -Drake--Drake- -dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ- Join Date: 2003-04-02 Member: 15125Members
    In my humble view the actual script and delivery of it are half of what made the portal games enjoyable aside the gameplay itself (at least for me) so if Quantum Conundrum stumbled in that department then as an experience its really going to pale in comparison.

I don't think I've ever chuckled as much playing any game in the past 10 years than I did with portal 2 and thats miles more memorable than any of the actual gameplay.
  • ScytheScythe Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 46NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation, Reinforced - Silver
    I've played a lot more of it now; I've finished the first wing of the mansion.

Alec of RPS <a href="http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/06/21/quantum-conundrum-review" target="_blank">echoed</a> my misgivings about Q's VO, however I haven't had much difficulty with the jumping platformy stuff. I'm not averse to a bit of timing-based challenge rather than the purely cerebral.

--Scythe--
  • TemphageTemphage Join Date: 2009-10-28 Member: 69158Members
    The writing isn't as good because the material isn't there to really make good writing. I think they did the best with what they had to work with.

I do like the clever little pop-culture references. For example, the paintings change based on your dimension... one of the ones changed and had the T-Rex for Dinosaur Comics on it :)

So, yeah. Not really clever writing. No memorable characters.

However, the puzzle aspect has Portal beat thoroughly. Seriously. These things get ridiculous.
  • [WHO]Them[WHO]Them You can call me Dave Join Date: 2002-12-11 Member: 10593Members, Constellation
    I played through the first wing last night. I just can't buy into the story at all.

Q (hah, 'Q'uadwrangle, I just got that) seems to be omniscient. Does he have cameras everywhere? Because it sounds like he's in the dimension where all the lost items go. Did he lose his memory in the process? He seems to keep saying he can't remember things while at the same time telling me what to look for and where I'll find it.

Why does he have so many cookie cutter rooms of furniture and books? Why doesn't his house have many branches for travelling from one point to another? Where's the labs of stuff? Where's the bedroom? I guess he could just sleep on a couch in the fuzzy dimension. Where's the kitchen? Does he eat cloned books and couches?
  • TemphageTemphage Join Date: 2009-10-28 Member: 69158Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1946556:date=Jun 25 2012, 08:16 PM:name=[WHO]Them)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE ([WHO]Them @ Jun 25 2012, 08:16 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1946556"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
    I played through the first wing last night. I just can't buy into the story at all.

Q (hah, 'Q'uadwrangle, I just got that) seems to be omniscient. Does he have cameras everywhere? Because it sounds like he's in the dimension where all the lost items go. Did he lose his memory in the process? He seems to keep saying he can't remember things while at the same time telling me what to look for and where I'll find it.

Why does he have so many cookie cutter rooms of furniture and books? Why doesn't his house have many branches for travelling from one point to another? Where's the labs of stuff? Where's the bedroom? I guess he could just sleep on a couch in the fuzzy dimension. Where's the kitchen? Does he eat cloned books and couches?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    It really almost seems like they had one artist who quit after making a few textures and items and they just went with what they had.
  • SopsSops Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17894Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1946069:date=Jun 23 2012, 08:08 AM:name=lolfighter)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (lolfighter @ Jun 23 2012, 08:08 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1946069"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Sops: {popping up in the foreground} Forhorglingrads!
    lolfighter: Sops, I thought I asked you to leave, like, an hour ago.
    Temphage: {pushing Sops out of the way} DOUGLAS!!!
    lolfighter: Whoa! We've had a breakthrough! You get a gold star.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I'll just see myself out then.
  • NEX9NEX9 Join Date: 2005-03-08 Member: 44299Members
    It wasn't fast enough for me. The arcade factor dropped about 70% in comparison to portal. A few parts of QC when on conveyer belts got about as fast and fun as me playing portal at a moderate pace. the complexity of the puzzles and what effort and thought was required to beat the puzzles. felt like a watered down kids version of portal. only 2 puzzles court me off guard. generally with a "oh shiP i left something behind" realization. or a slight head tilt. gratz to them making it thought. i completed it in about 2-4 hours I cant quite remember. but it was done between a late lunch and a early dinner. i did how ever like the changes in scenery when switching dimensions. and flying around on furniture with slow and fluffy dimension. similar to old hl2 duck jump flying exploit. I also liked the art style. kinda Simpsons meets team fortress. But for now ill stick to portal and playing it so fast i barely touch the ground for more than a few seconds. a level. normally during loading time.
  • ellnicellnic Join Date: 2010-07-19 Member: 72559Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Looks rather fun, I think I might have to get this

<center><object width="450" height="356"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/OKYV57QfH9Q"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/OKYV57QfH9Q" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="450" height="356"></embed></object></center>
    You should probably get the demo first. I tried it and decided against it.
  • ellnicellnic Join Date: 2010-07-19 Member: 72559Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I'll do that. But from the gameplay it still looks like a real good game to play
  • TalesinTalesin Our own little well of hate Join Date: 2002-11-08 Member: 7710NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators
    It's fun, but yes... clearly they didn't spend a lot on design, just using puzzles as set pieces. The room-to-room hallways are cookie-cutter and mirrored occasionally at best. It's also RIDICULOUSLY short, and clearly designed to be a 'stub' vehicle to push as much DLC as possible. Whether or not any is forthcoming is yet to be seen.

They needed to drop DeLancie and spend his stipend on actual designers and artists, and a middling/budding voice actor instead.

Do I regret buying the game? Somewhat. Would it be worth it once it hits the Steam 75% Sale point? Definitely.

And yes, the consolization is *very* evident and ANNOYING with the positions I had to crab my fingers into to complete some of the puzzles on a keyboard and mouse, switching between three dimensions AND precision jumping simultaneously.
  • JediYoshiJediYoshi The Cupcake Boss Join Date: 2002-05-27 Member: 674Members
    Game currently on sale at greenmangaming for $5.62
    promo code GMG25-1BW0K-K1A3G

season pass on sale as well, goes down to $3.75 (from $20)

<a href="http://www.greenmangaming.com/s/us/en/pc/games/puzzle/quantum-conundrum/" target="_blank">http://www.greenmangaming.com/s/us/en/pc/g...ntum-conundrum/</a>
    <a href="http://www.greenmangaming.com/s/us/en/pc/games/puzzle/quantum-conundrum-season-pass/" target="_blank">http://www.greenmangaming.com/s/us/en/pc/g...um-season-pass/</a>
  • JediYoshiJediYoshi The Cupcake Boss Join Date: 2002-05-27 Member: 674Members
    On sale again, down to $4.08

<a href="http://www.greenmangaming.com/s/us/en/pc/games/puzzle/quantum-conundrum/" target="_blank">http://www.greenmangaming.com/s/us/en/pc/g...ntum-conundrum/</a>
    GMG20-1FYLZ-EDG8R