Regeneration Bug?

DisruptionDisruption Join Date: 2012-11-06 Member: 167679Members
<div class="IPBDescription">Why are aliens regenerating during battle?</div>So today in several of my matches, I've seen skulks having their regeneration used while in combat. Now, I am not talking about when they are just hopping around and stalling long enough to heal. But actually, on the first bullet, they start glowing that low green color which is the regeneration evolution. Now, has regeneration been changed to work in combat? If so, the regeneration seems a little high. I haven't had the chance to try alien with this new "bug," but I was wondering if anybody else has noticed the drastic change?

Comments

• TechercizerTechercizer 7th Player Join Date: 2011-06-11 Member: 103832Members
    edited November 2012
    So...
    <!--quoteo(post=2025149:date=Nov 15 2012, 06:39 PM:name=Disruption)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Disruption @ Nov 15 2012, 06:39 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2025149"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If so, the regeneration seems a little high.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    But...
    <!--quoteo(post=2025149:date=Nov 15 2012, 06:39 PM:name=Disruption)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Disruption @ Nov 15 2012, 06:39 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2025149"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I haven't had the chance to try alien with this new "bug,"<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    ?

Yes, Regen works in combat now, making it a viable sidegrade to Carapace.
  • Know painKnow pain Join Date: 2012-09-04 Member: 157674Members
    It's not a bug but this new build bring regen closer to what it was in NS1.
  • twilitebluetwiliteblue bug stalker Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13116Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited November 2012
    Regen now provides minor healing in combat (20% of its full effect). That is why aliens appear green shortly after taking damage. It is a "new" feature.

Lerks and skulks only regenerate approximately 2 hp per second in combat. But they only regen at 10 hp/s while out of combat, which is a lot less than it was in the last few builds (20/s).
  • DisruptionDisruption Join Date: 2012-11-06 Member: 167679Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2025153:date=Nov 15 2012, 07:42 PM:name=Techercizer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Techercizer @ Nov 15 2012, 07:42 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2025153"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So...

But...

?

Yes, Regen works in combat now, making it a viable sidegrade to Carapace.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You do know you can use the damage counter to estimate when they should be dead, right?
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2025161:date=Nov 15 2012, 08:48 PM:name=Disruption)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Disruption @ Nov 15 2012, 08:48 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2025161"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You do know you can use the damage counter to estimate when they should be dead, right?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Regen won't make more than one bullet's worth of difference to a skulk in combat, unless he escapes long enough for full regen to kick in.
  • FlayraFlayra Game Director, Unknown Worlds Entertainment San Francisco Join Date: 2002-01-22 Member: 3Super Administrators, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer
    We adjusted regeneration in this patch but...completely over-did it. It will be reverted shortly.
  • lastchaplainlastchaplain Join Date: 2012-11-04 Member: 166953Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2025207:date=Nov 15 2012, 05:44 PM:name=Flayra)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Flayra @ Nov 15 2012, 05:44 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2025207"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->We adjusted regeneration in this patch but...completely over-did it. It will be reverted shortly.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Hopefully, not completely reverted? I feel this was a step in the right direction, just may have overshot a tad.
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Yeah please don't completely revert it, the old Regen was worthless. All it needs is some small tweaks to the healing speed or the activation delay.
    I can't comment on Regen's performance for higher-tier lifeforms, but it's at a pretty good place for the Skulk right now.
  • unkindunkind Join Date: 2012-02-04 Member: 143563Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2025207:date=Nov 15 2012, 08:44 PM:name=Flayra)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Flayra @ Nov 15 2012, 08:44 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2025207"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->We adjusted regeneration in this patch but...completely over-did it. It will be reverted shortly.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

please don't make it as bad as it was, just slightly nerf it ><
  • twilitebluetwiliteblue bug stalker Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13116Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2025207:date=Nov 16 2012, 12:44 PM:name=Flayra)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Flayra @ Nov 16 2012, 12:44 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2025207"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->We adjusted regeneration in this patch but...completely over-did it. It will be reverted shortly.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    D'oh!

I think b229 regen was almost fine, with the exception of the extremely healing on the Onos. It just needs a reduced maximum cap.

I'm finding Regen to be a better upgrade than Carapace early game. Late game however, Carapace is mandatory on all aliens except guerrilla Lerk/Fade/Onos that hit-n-run against lone marines.
  • TyphonTyphon Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 1899Members
    edited November 2012
    Adding to the "don't revert it, just tone it back a little" crowd. Old regen was useless. Current is a bit much. Try somewhere in the middle instead of returning it to worthless.

Bring the 'out of combat' timer up to say 3 seconds (used to be 5, is 1.5 now)
    Lower the healing cap to say 50 / heal tick for crags (used to be 10, is 60 now)
    Lower the heal wave multiplier to 2 (not sure what used to be, is 2.5 now)
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited November 2012
    I second this notion and implored them to do the same thing internally.

My reasoning: if 1.5 for "outofcombat" is too low, and 5 was too high... then 3 would be a good place to start.
    Crags are fine in 229 imo... might even go so far as to say close to perfect. (stacking etc may have issues)
  • SpaceJewSpaceJew Join Date: 2012-09-03 Member: 157584Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2025258:date=Nov 15 2012, 08:28 PM:name=ironhorse)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ironhorse @ Nov 15 2012, 08:28 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2025258"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I second this notion and implored them to do the same thing internally.

My reasoning: if 1.5 for "outofcombat" is too low, and 5 was too high... then 3 would be a good place to test.
    Crags are fine in 229 imo... might even go so far as to say close to perfect. (stacking etc may have issues)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Sounds reasonable enough. Crag stacking might be a problem, but the Armory is almost as bad of one as things currently stand.
    edited November 2012
    I've tested Crag stacking myself, and it really isn't an issue. 60 Res works of Crags can't even keep themselves alive vs a lvl 0 LMG Marine. It makes them tougher, sure, but nothing on the order of, say, 60 res worth of armory walls. I guess if you dump 100 res worth of Crags into a tiny area, you might need more than one Marine? I don't have an issue with that, personally.
  • HeatSurgeHeatSurge Some Guy Join Date: 2012-09-15 Member: 159438Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Charlie, please don't revert it back to uselessness. Not all the feedback is negative. Regen needed to be a little more powerful to be an interesting alternative to carapace.
    edited November 2012
    I'm thinking that the revert might be due to higher lifeforms regenerating too fast for one or two LMG troops to reasonably take them down.

Specifically, I'm thinking of Fades.

The sad part is that's almost exactly what Fades needed to be useful. I saw Fades doing better than I think I've ever seen them do before in public matches today.

Not to mention a lot of good players were playing Aliens today specifically to try out the changes.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I've tested Crag stacking myself, and it really isn't an issue. 60 Res works of Crags can't even keep themselves alive vs a lvl 0 LMG Marine. It makes them tougher, sure, but nothing on the order of, say, 60 res worth of armory walls. I guess if you dump 100 res worth of Crags into a tiny area, you might need more than one Marine? I don't have an issue with that, personally.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Just out of curiosity, were you testing it with them switched on or default healing?
  • HeatSurgeHeatSurge Some Guy Join Date: 2012-09-15 Member: 159438Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Fades need a bit more base HP/armor, not an endless supply of health in battle...

Also, one or two ARs aren't meant to take down a fade. A base (free) unit taking down a 50-res unit? LOL? If you go down to 1-2 AR marines, you should reconsider how you play fade.
    <!--quoteo(post=2025297:date=Nov 15 2012, 09:13 PM:name=SpaceJew)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SpaceJew @ Nov 15 2012, 09:13 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2025297"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Just out of curiosity, were you testing it with them switched on or default healing?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    "Switched on"? Do you mean under Healing Wave? My testing was done on normal, mature crags doing what normal, mature crags do whenever one of them is injured.
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2025311:date=Nov 15 2012, 09:29 PM:name=HeatSurge)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (HeatSurge @ Nov 15 2012, 09:29 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2025311"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Fades need a bit more base HP/armor, not an endless supply of health in battle...

Also, one or two ARs aren't meant to take down a fade. A base (free) unit taking down a 50-res unit? LOL? If you go down to 1-2 AR marines, you should reconsider how you play fade.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah, two AR's can take out a fade actually. A 2 vs 1 showdown can go either way for a Fade. A shotgun makes it more of a sure bet. Utterly depends on the skill of the individuals in question though. With the way reload works for the LMG, I can maybe see where the new regen was a bit OP. Just because it didn't seem like it to me doesn't mean a lot since it's tough to accurately gauge healing when swinging around on Commander vision. I also usually go Gorge, and therefore take Carapace since I have regen by default.

<!--quoteo(post=2025313:date=Nov 15 2012, 09:29 PM:name=Techercizer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Techercizer @ Nov 15 2012, 09:29 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2025313"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->"Switched on"? Do you mean under Healing Wave? My testing was done on normal, mature crags doing what normal, mature crags do whenever one of them is injured.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yes, under healing wave. The reason I ask is because healing wave quintuples the amount of healing done at a cost of 3 T.Res. If it's fine with them on autopilot, it would definitely not be fine under healing wave. (Although justified in my mind, considering the 3 T.Res cost for each crag involved. I would consider it about the same as a Nano marine with health pack spam, but to be fair it's probably harder to Nano/Healpack a marine than switch on stationary healing structures.)

I was curious because of that very reason. Sounds like they might be OP if default healing is working that well. Without a more detailed Patch Notes page it's tough to accurately gauge the differences. Theres a couple of good forum posts on the issue, but without a more official version it's tough to say what's accurate and what's not accurate. As far as I can tell, default crag healing is the same but healing wave is more powerful? Or it might easily be the other way around. Or both. I've seen it listed differently a few times. I get the impression only the regen change is being rolled back, but maybe he meant the whole shebang. Guess we'll find out soon.

(Oh, and the numbers you listed sound exactly the same as before. So that makes it pretty tough to say as well.)
  • hakenspithakenspit Join Date: 2010-11-26 Member: 75300Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2025207:date=Nov 16 2012, 11:44 AM:name=Flayra)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Flayra @ Nov 16 2012, 11:44 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2025207"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->We adjusted regeneration in this patch but...completely over-did it. It will be reverted shortly.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Damnit Charlie.....get our hopes up that regen might be worth getting by making it useful in 229 only to tell us it will be nerfed again.

Heck I actually stopped getting regen in previous builds as it was a total waste....it was nice to have an actual CHOICE of GOOD upgrades on a crag hive.
    Please, for the love of making the game fun and giving us two VALID options on a crag hive, leave regen as is.

I am chuffed at your camo upgrade (actually is useful and works again!) which now is a valid alternative to silence...long overdue. I just fear it will be reverted again.

Oh and before you take too much notice of win lose ratios....I have played multiple games where marine comm did stupid things like upgrade to dual exos and JP's before getting weapons or armour upgrades (was 20 min in before we saw w1)....so please dig a little deeper before believing aliens need nerfing again.
  • PowerfuryOAPowerfuryOA Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148314Members
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2025207:date=Nov 15 2012, 07:44 PM:name=Flayra)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Flayra @ Nov 15 2012, 07:44 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2025207"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->We adjusted regeneration in this patch but...completely over-did it. It will be reverted shortly.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

"Over-did" it seems to be a trend in the development team.

I don't understand how these changes get implemented. We have had beta testers for a long, long time. Regardless, I knew that regeneration was over powered instantly the first time I upgraded it.

Anyway, I hope it works out better next patch, which by the way should be very soon because regeneration is very broken. These knee jerk reactions to buffs/nerfs have been going on for too long.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    <!--quoteo(post=2025341:date=Nov 15 2012, 08:01 PM:name=PowerfuryOA)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PowerfuryOA @ Nov 15 2012, 08:01 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2025341"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->"Over-did" it seems to be a trend in the development team.

I don't understand how these changes get implemented. We have had beta testers for a long, long time. Regardless, I knew that regeneration was over powered instantly the first time I upgraded it.

Anyway, I hope it works out better next patch, which by the way should be very soon because regeneration is very broken. These knee jerk reactions to buffs/nerfs have been going on for too long.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    As playtesters our primary concern are bugs - the showstoppers and game ruiners to the typical and the mundane. Secondary is ensuring that everything is working as intended through in game tools and actual games. This does not include balance unless it is a showstopper (hey even the first tres dropped Onos was timed @ 4 minutes by us, out of total concern for what it could do to balance :-P)

After that we optionally give balance feedback in internal chatrooms and internal forums, but this is not our role or job, and what we have to say is just feedback like what you give. But now more than ever you guys are going to be better balance testers than we ever could be,<i> considering that the internal build is available to you all to test and give feedback o</i>n as of 229.
    We playtesters have a limited time slot to play games depending on available players and release schedule and are a small sample size.

I hope that a new forum can be opened up and we can ensure a place for proper feedback from individuals such as yourself with more adequate, longer testing periods. But this is something i personally am pushing for and cant promise anything.

I hope that clears some things up
    <!--quoteo(post=2025357:date=Nov 15 2012, 10:25 PM:name=ironhorse)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ironhorse @ Nov 15 2012, 10:25 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2025357"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->As playtesters our primary concern are bugs - the showstoppers and game ruiners to the typical and the mundane...

I hope that clears some things up<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

About what I would have thought. And to be fair there are very few 'showstoppers', if any, to be found.

I'm looking forward to a streamlined Beta build testing format, and a separate forum would be an invaluable tool for that. I just hope I can participate through Steam, since I've had little luck in figuring out how to do so for 229.
    <!--quoteo(post=2025361:date=Nov 15 2012, 08:34 PM:name=SpaceJew)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SpaceJew @ Nov 15 2012, 08:34 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2025361"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->And to be fair there are very few 'showstoppers', if any, to be found.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I would disagree with that
    lol..
    Some weeks its just one showstopper after another.. Some weeks are a breeze and others we cant even PT because the build is broken.. it completely depends.
    Why else do you think patches get delayed? They're not trying to tease you :-p
  • KuddlyKalliKuddlyKalli Yuggera Country Join Date: 2010-12-23 Member: 75905Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    <!--coloro:#FFC0CB--><span style="color:#FFC0CB"><!--/coloro-->The playtesters do a great job, but as ironhorse said they don't work on balance.

Also, +1 for a <i>minor</i> nerf of regen. Don't completely revert, Charlie. Some great changes making shade and crag viable tech choices. The main thing is that the "out of combat" delay should be around 3 seconds.<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
  • ToastieToastie Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167351Members
    I'll put in my vote for minor nerf as opposed to complete reversion.
  • kalakujakalakuja Join Date: 2012-09-11 Member: 159045Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter
    <!--quoteo(post=2025207:date=Nov 15 2012, 06:44 PM:name=Flayra)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Flayra @ Nov 15 2012, 06:44 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2025207"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->We adjusted regeneration in this patch but...completely over-did it. It will be reverted shortly.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    good!
  • Know painKnow pain Join Date: 2012-09-04 Member: 157674Members
    I find that regen now works out better than cara does on most any life form. However it does determin how you use that life form. For example cara would be better if you were staying around a hive for deffense how a sucidle gorge bile boming atomic bomb of death and destruction. Before build 229 it was almost mandatory for onos to get cara simply cause regen just wouldn't work for a class that was always in the heat of battle.

While I will agree that regen may be a little too powerful on some of teh life forms, it also all depends on how you know how to use that life form.
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Whoa whoa whoa! Don't change regen back. It can actually compete with cara now. There is a real choice of having more max "health" to hold out longer and against shot guns, and of playing guerrilla-like with short breaks between the engagements (without having to heal for >10 seconds). It is really fun and I can't find it overpowered. At least with the skulk. I don't know how good it plays on other lifeforms yet. But if it is broken there, you should consider of setting the values fix per life form and not in a percentage way.