Remapping Commander Keys

wicked.fablewicked.fable Join Date: 2012-11-14 Member: 171102Members
edited November 2012 in NS2 General Discussion
Hey all,

I have done some searching and could not find any definitive answer about this but it does look like this isn't possible yet. The problem is that I am playing the game using the Colemak keyboard layout. As a result, the keys where the grid layout for the commander hotkeys should be looks like this:

Q W F
A R S D
Z X C

It looks, though, like the QWERTY letters have been hardcoded in for these hotkeys so I'm unable to use them as they were meant to be. Depending on the program, I can actually just press Alt+Shift to switch my layout to QWERTY but that doesn't seem to work in NS2 for me and it would be a hassle every time I needed to type something anyway.

I know that you cannot remap the command hotkeys in-game yet, but I was wondering if anyone had any ideas for alternative solutions to remapping those keys that would not mess up my FPS controls (I have remapped those to the Colemak layout so WASD movement keys are "WARS" for me along with the rest of the appropriate swaps)? Any help you guys could provide would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
-wicked.fable

Comments

• SpaceJewSpaceJew Join Date: 2012-09-03 Member: 157584Members
    I've been complaining about this issue for a while now. It isn't a game breaking issue, but is a quality of life issue that would vastly increase my enjoyment of commanding.
  • SacapucesSacapuces Join Date: 2011-01-21 Member: 78453Members
    edited November 2012
    here's the solution :
    go to steam/userdata/"some number"/4920/remote
    open options.xml
    change the following
    <A>A</A>
    <Q>Q</Q>
    <Z>Z</Z>
    <W>W</W>

in
    <A>Q</A>
    <Q>A</Q>
    <Z>W</Z>
    <W>Z</W>

or whatever you want that matches your keyboard

Edit : it didn't changed at all fps control for me
  • Apreche2Apreche2 Join Date: 2012-08-06 Member: 154849Members
    I set V to be my voice key. I was commanding a game and was wondering how the aliens kept destroying our arms lab and observatory. I was recycling them! Glad I figured it out.

Another related note. No matter where on the map I am looking, I am able to drop medpacks and such with hotkeys. But in order to scan, I have to use the mini-map to find an observatory and click on it before I can use the hotkeys. There needs to be a global hotkey for scan, so I can start scanning without having to go looking for an observatory.
  • The CThe C Join Date: 2012-11-10 Member: 169138Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2024798:date=Nov 15 2012, 12:22 PM:name=Apreche2)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Apreche2 @ Nov 15 2012, 12:22 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2024798"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I set V to be my voice key. I was commanding a game and was wondering how the aliens kept destroying our arms lab and observatory. I was recycling them! Glad I figured it out.

Another related note. No matter where on the map I am looking, I am able to drop medpacks and such with hotkeys. But in order to scan, I have to use the mini-map to find an observatory and click on it before I can use the hotkeys. There needs to be a global hotkey for scan, so I can start scanning without having to go looking for an observatory.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    1: Yeah, I've made way too damn many fade eggs while checking my map.

2: You can bind an observatory to a control group with ctrl+#, can't you?
  • TimariusTimarius Join Date: 2012-11-15 Member: 171220Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2024798:date=Nov 15 2012, 11:22 AM:name=Apreche2)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Apreche2 @ Nov 15 2012, 11:22 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2024798"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I set V to be my voice key. I was commanding a game and was wondering how the aliens kept destroying our arms lab and observatory. I was recycling them! Glad I figured it out.

Another related note. No matter where on the map I am looking, I am able to drop medpacks and such with hotkeys. But in order to scan, I have to use the mini-map to find an observatory and click on it before I can use the hotkeys. There needs to be a global hotkey for scan, so I can start scanning without having to go looking for an observatory.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

E will bring you to support, and F is scan. It is available as a global.
  • wicked.fablewicked.fable Join Date: 2012-11-14 Member: 171102Members
    @Sacapuces: Thanks! I was looking for a file like that in the main NS2 folder. Would have never figured it would be there. I don't have time to test it out yet but that looks like it'll do the trick.
  • SpaceJewSpaceJew Join Date: 2012-09-03 Member: 157584Members
    Having the command keys hard-bound is stupid, especially when those keys can overlap with other commands that are usable inside the CC/Hive.

It's simply poorly implemented in the extreme, even if it's not game breaking. I've heard rumors Spark is hard-coded with maximum bindable keys. I sincerely hope that isn't the case.
  • MaximumSquidMaximumSquid Join Date: 2010-07-20 Member: 72593Members
    <u><b>wicked.fable:</b></u>

My voice key "V" also happened to be the hotkey for sell on Marnie Comm

Good times right?

<i>No wait. . . no they weren't </i>
  • Bad MojoBad Mojo Join Date: 2009-05-01 Member: 67317Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2024798:date=Nov 15 2012, 01:22 PM:name=Apreche2)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Apreche2 @ Nov 15 2012, 01:22 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2024798"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I set V to be my voice key. I was commanding a game and was wondering how the aliens kept destroying our arms lab and observatory. I was recycling them! Glad I figured it out.

I was in this same boat until I realized what was happening. Very annoying.
  • OrzOrz Join Date: 2010-03-24 Member: 71069Members
    Same here. Totally aggravating, both for selling stuff as marine comm and cancelling upgrades as alien comm. I'm rebinding V right now.
  • Ness_FrogKingNess_FrogKing Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162628Members
    Chalk me up as another V for voice person (I blame TF2... or was it L4D?). I lost count of how many times I've told my team that Leap is at 90 per... oh, @#$%, I cancelled it.

I eventually got used to using Q V for voice as a comm... makes sure I'm on a tab with no dangerous V option.

Same with C for map... always always always Q C. I've seen so many random spurs around from newer Khamms checking their map then clicking somewhere, hehe.