No red plug of doom fix?

RabcorRabcor Join Date: 2012-11-15 Member: 171366Members
edited November 2012 in Technical Support
<div class="IPBDescription">But you said...</div>I'm pretty certain i read on the feeds in the option menu that the next patch (229) would fix the red plug of doom issue

My first experience of 229

Black screen - timeout

next game i try to join... Red plug of doom... it wasn't fixed :( (after a short amount of time i get a red connection status icon on the left side of my screen and then eventually disconnect if you don't know what i'm talking about.)

Comments

• BVKnightBVKnight Join Date: 2012-02-26 Member: 147496Members
    edited November 2012
    From the news post:
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->"Some people who have been having network problems may find those problems fixed in this build. However, we know there are still issues that are not fixed. We are working on these as a matter of priority, and some of the changes in 229 are designed to help us identify, diagnose and fix the problems."<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Also here:
    <a href="http://twitter.com/NS2/status/268831403347681281" target="_blank">http://twitter.com/NS2/status/268831403347681281</a>
    <a href="http://twitter.com/NS2/status/268503586013585410" target="_blank">http://twitter.com/NS2/status/268503586013585410</a>
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    It fixed some of them. As mentioned in the changelog and other places, there are still more causes to fix.
  • AngeluszAngelusz Harmonic entropist Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18072Members, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    And it's still a top priority. I'm sorry to read that you and probably others are still experiencing issues. Lets hope you can join the ranks soon!
  • RabcorRabcor Join Date: 2012-11-15 Member: 171366Members
    edited November 2012
    ah i see, i read the changelog and didn't see any mention of it, so i came here.

And i already have over 30 hours played on this thing, games fun, the good thing about the black screen and red plug of doom are that they only seem to happen when you join the server, very rarely while playing, or at least in my case. so i can play, but usually when i get that red plug the only thing i can do to fix is restart my computer (not just the game)

I'm a bit sad that they released a game with such serious bugs going on tho. but apart from these things i have not had any particularily bad bugs, except that in one of the ready rooms, to join the aliens you jump down a shaft, and if the team is full you're just gonna be stuck down there unless you disconnect from the server, theres no way out.
  • BVKnightBVKnight Join Date: 2012-02-26 Member: 147496Members
    Agreed, I'm sorry you're encountering these errors. The funny thing is, the red plug/black screen issue wasn't really around before release, it seems like a lot of the new features that came with the release version have somehow caused it.

For when you get stuck trying to join a team, that's really a map issue, heheh. The people that made the ready room didn't give you a way back up the shaft. What you can do to change it is open your console by pressing ~, then type j1 or j2 to join the teams. I don't remember which one is which. There is also a command to join spectator, but I don't know it.
  • MaxMax Technical Director, Unknown Worlds Entertainment Join Date: 2002-03-15 Member: 318Super Administrators, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=2024600:date=Nov 15 2012, 08:24 AM:name=Rabcor)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rabcor @ Nov 15 2012, 08:24 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2024600"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm pretty certain i read on the feeds in the option menu that the next patch (229) would fix the red plug of doom issue

My first experience of 229

Black screen - timeout

next game i try to join... Red plug of doom... it wasn't fixed :( (after a short amount of time i get a red connection status icon on the left side of my screen and then eventually disconnect if you don't know what i'm talking about.)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    The red plug basically means that you are having connection issues with the server. Unfortunately many different things could cause this to happen and we're still trying to identify all of them. When you are in a game, does your ping gradually increase until it hits 999? Can you provide some details about your router and your ISP?
  • HatlessHatless Join Date: 2012-11-13 Member: 170569Members
    I also have the same problem, at first i could join a server 50% of the time, now every time i try to connect I get the red plug..
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    j1=marines
    j2=aliens

I get the red plug but I do not know what the doom part is.
  • RabcorRabcor Join Date: 2012-11-15 Member: 171366Members
    edited November 2012
    The doom part is... at least how i see it, when you get a red plug that doesn't leave until you disconnect (basically you're forcefully disconnected from the server with a working internet and a working server, which SHOULD be impossible)

I always knew what the red plug meant, but it was happening too frequently to be legit connection issues, my connection is working fine everywhere else 24/7 and players were playing on the server without any problems, so it has to be a false connection issue. my friend with the same isp, but i think different router (altho he has fiber) has only had this issue once i think.

My router model is "Technicolor TG589vn v2"
    My ISP is Siminn or Simnet (iceland's oldest and pretty much the most stable ISP) it wouldn't surprise me if the problem lies with the router, since i'm not sure if this is happening on the older model of this router, i could check tho i have one of those around too.
  • ByorunByorun Join Date: 2003-04-19 Member: 15661Members, Constellation
    My server disconnects everyone (amount of disconnects increasing) resulting in a timeout on the client side and refuses connection for a short time. After that it accepts connections again but clients get a black screen and wont load completely. only fix right now is to restart the ns2 server.
  • ZaggyZaggy NullPointerException The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-12-10 Member: 24214Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Onos, Subnautica Playtester
    Moving to Tech Support.

Could you try the steps in this thread please and upload your log: <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=124418" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...howtopic=124418</a>