Lerk Play

rhombusrhombus Lerk Queen Join Date: 2011-06-23 Member: 106055Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
<div class="IPBDescription">Streaming now~</div><a href="http://www.twitch.tv/sabahell" target="_blank">http://www.twitch.tv/sabahell</a>

Comments

• Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Oh crap, I should've informed people that the Lerk Queen was released upon the masses!!!
  • RedDragonRedDragon Join Date: 2003-01-13 Member: 12240Members, NS2 Map Tester
    Papa Dragon this is Little Bear. We have confirmation on Squeaks. The Goose is Loose. I repeat, the Squeaky Goose is Loose. Over.
  • NeoRussiaNeoRussia Join Date: 2012-08-04 Member: 154743Members
    if anybody cares to sponsor me with decent hardware, I'd be happy to provide more lerk footage. I wish I had an i7 so I could stream too :(
    I've begun recording videos of my own lerking and uploading them to youtube. You could try the same maybe? :-o
  • NeoRussiaNeoRussia Join Date: 2012-08-04 Member: 154743Members
    Not while playing because of the loss of fps, my fps is already lower than 30 lategame. Demo playback is broken for me.
  • VolcanoVolcano Join Date: 2011-07-27 Member: 112496Members, Constellation
    should take notes from the chat about changes in future patches
  • Bad MojoBad Mojo Join Date: 2009-05-01 Member: 67317Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2023940:date=Nov 14 2012, 08:24 PM:name=RedDragon)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RedDragon @ Nov 14 2012, 08:24 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2023940"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I've begun recording videos of my own lerking and uploading them to youtube. You could try the same maybe? :-o<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Curious to see other Lerks. Link?
  • rhombusrhombus Lerk Queen Join Date: 2011-06-23 Member: 106055Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    It was tons of fun, hope to do it more frequently.
    I've only got the one test video right now, and its unlisted, I'll post more when I've got more.
  • DJPenguinDJPenguin Useless Join Date: 2003-07-29 Member: 18538Members
    flying birds.. who needs em.
  • Bad MojoBad Mojo Join Date: 2009-05-01 Member: 67317Members
    Don't worry Saba. There are those few of us who truly in touch with the Lerk's feelings, and we'll make all the haters understand what they're missing out on. (AKA We'll get some videos out there that show the full potential of Lerks!)
  • twilitebluetwiliteblue bug stalker Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13116Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    It's Lerk season! Today's weather forecast: cloudy, with a chance of blindness and coughing.
  • TimariusTimarius Join Date: 2012-11-15 Member: 171220Members
    edited November 2012
    I watched your broadcast when I stopped for a break after noticing the link in your name. Thank you for showing me that I've still got quite a bit of practice to go, and I'm sorry for blocking your shots near the end of the game.

EDIT: I felt the need to make an account just to say thank you for showing me that I need to learn the maps better.
  • rhombusrhombus Lerk Queen Join Date: 2011-06-23 Member: 106055Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=2024215:date=Nov 15 2012, 01:18 AM:name=Timarius)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Timarius @ Nov 15 2012, 01:18 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2024215"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I watched your broadcast when I stopped for a break after noticing the link in your name. Thank you for showing me that I've still got quite a bit of practice to go, and I'm sorry for blocking your shots near the end of the game.

EDIT: I felt the need to make an account just to say thank you for showing me that I need to learn the maps better.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Lol no problem. Red kept stealing my kills most of the time >:l
  • SnæbjørnSnæbjørn Join Date: 2012-08-06 Member: 154868Members
    Watched the stream and it was some quite impressive moves. I want to be that good!

However the stream... oh boy, when ever there was action it would turn into a slideshow (1 frame/sec or less) or freeze entirely. Which made the entire thing less enjoyable. Perhaps it's something you can sort out for the next stream :)?
  • MaximumSquidMaximumSquid Join Date: 2010-07-20 Member: 72593Members
    <u><b>SabaHell:</b></u>

Anyway to view it when you're not streaming?

I've been playing Lerk a lot since the buff to spikes and was curious if we have any of the same moves
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2024457:date=Nov 15 2012, 07:26 AM:name=SabaHell)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SabaHell @ Nov 15 2012, 07:26 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2024457"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Lol no problem. Red kept stealing my kills most of the time >:l<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Don't forget baiting! I saw him baiting you at least three times! That guy is a jerk! D:
  • TimariusTimarius Join Date: 2012-11-15 Member: 171220Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2024488:date=Nov 15 2012, 06:05 AM:name=Snæbjørn)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Snæbjørn @ Nov 15 2012, 06:05 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2024488"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Watched the stream and it was some quite impressive moves. I want to be that good!

However the stream... oh boy, when ever there was action it would turn into a slideshow (1 frame/sec or less) or freeze entirely. Which made the entire thing less enjoyable. Perhaps it's something you can sort out for the next stream :)?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Since it runs on Flash, it could have been anything. The video ran smoothly for me, however, so I don't think it's the video. You might want to try restarting your browser, or manually stopping the Flash processes and refreshing the page.

<!--quoteo(post=2024519:date=Nov 15 2012, 06:36 AM:name=MaximumSquid)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MaximumSquid @ Nov 15 2012, 06:36 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2024519"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><u><b>SabaHell:</b></u>

Anyway to view it when you're not streaming?

I've been playing Lerk a lot since the buff to spikes and was curious if we have any of the same moves<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

On her streaming page, down below the player, click the tab that says Video to the left of Description.
    edited November 2012
    I normally get around 100-130 constant, but streaming just kills my fps. I plan on purchasing a capture card soon.
  • Metal HandkerchiefMetal Handkerchief Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168697Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2024091:date=Nov 14 2012, 07:57 PM:name=Bad Mojo)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bad Mojo @ Nov 14 2012, 07:57 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2024091"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Don't worry Saba. There are those few of us who truly in touch with the Lerk's feelings, and we'll make all the haters understand what they're missing out on. (AKA We'll get some videos out there that show the full potential of Lerks!)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

After watching some of Sabahell I do hope you intend to actually play in some real games, the daftness of some of the marines he/she was facing only cemented the pretentious air of doing a live stream in a pub stomp to begin with. Granted, not saying the OP isn't skilled, but there was literally no opportunity to show it.
    <!--quoteo(post=2024666:date=Nov 15 2012, 11:18 AM:name=Metal Handkerchief)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Metal Handkerchief @ Nov 15 2012, 11:18 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2024666"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->After watching some of Sabahell I do hope you intend to actually play in some real games, the daftness of some of the marines he/she was facing only cemented the pretentious air of doing a live stream in a pub stomp to begin with. Granted, not saying the OP isn't skilled, but there was literally no opportunity to show it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

So a stream intended to demonstrate how well Lerks can perform in Pubs shouldn't be done in Pubs? Actually, if you knew anything about how to play a Lerk, you'd have been able to recognize some of the clever and useful tactics SabaHell was demonstrating. I learned a few things, and I'd like to think I'm pretty knowledgeable when it comes to Lerks.

As well, SabaHell is widely considered to be the foremost expert on Lerks, their mechanics and play style, within the NS2 community. I'm not sure what negative criticism you're trying to imply, but if you want to learn anything about Lerks in this game, maybe you should try to pay more attention to how she executes an engagement, rather than searching for something to take exception to.

As well, because I do this for a living and because you're being inexcusably insulting, pretentious refers to an unjustified or excessive claim, or the expression of unwarranted or exaggerated importance. When was SabaHell being pretentious in her attempt to respond to two days worth of criticism on the forums (including one particularly long thread you may be familiar with) regarding how underwhelming Lerks are in pubs?

If you're going to insult someone, please go borrow a dictionary before you make yourself look like a fool (again).
  • Metal HandkerchiefMetal Handkerchief Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168697Members
    edited November 2012
    I'm sorry man, you're barking up the wrong tree, I have never complained about lerks in pub stomp layout matches. What I have done is expressly put forth the opinion on how little use it has in higher end play where you won't be facing off against the beginners. I have also made a point of how the lerk scales poorly towards endgame, which is a far more nuanced situation than the former, where yes, it can get too powerful quickly if the changes are too aggressive, but I am also 100% on it needing those changes whether some ingrained bearded played-this-game-for-centuries grudgekeeper is going to agree with me or not. Those people have as much right of an opinion as me regardless of how far down their roots stretch in the NS timeline, but they're not exactly proving any counterpoints to it by basing their claims on newbie stomping, which would at best be a design fallacy in the making to balance around as low skill is only temporary.

<b>I see this whole 'look at how an experienced lerk crushes noobs' debate to be outrageous and insulting, when the real balance is made where players are equally skilled and throughout all time points of the game; beginning, middle and end.</b>

And I also facepalm at your inferiority complex every time you base a wall of text off the assumption that I, or whomever else you're targeting, am bad. It makes you look like a snotty child arguing whose parents' are da tuffest.

Edit: Also there's a good reason why many companies cycle their beta testing pool by gradually removing the earliest participants and bringing new ones in. Fresh eyes are the best eyes.
  • PHJFPHJF Join Date: 2005-07-13 Member: 55898Members
    I noticed a lack of spiking. Knowing how important it is to not run out of energy, I still find it preferable when initially engaging marines as a lerk to spike before biting, and if marines are still kicking after a couple bites, hang back and finish with more spikes. The bite damage is just so pathetic (since we don't have focus) that I find myself spiking to some extent in virtually every encounter.

And on the occasions where you are acting as a sentry gun, it is absolutely imperative to TURN OFF alien vision and find a DARK RECESS. There is no visual feedback as an alien when taking damage, and even a single LMG can and will tear through a stationary lerk.
  • ArgathorArgathor Join Date: 2011-07-18 Member: 110942Members, Squad Five Blue
    I enjoyed watching Saba's stream and I was impressed by how she uses the map layout to her advantage.

I think people are just trying to point out that it was pub stomping, that's it. Many of us could stomp pubs with absolutely any combination of lifeform or weapon. To really see the potential of the Lerk we need to see high-skilled competitive play.

It takes nothing away from the stream though, it was very entertaining, it just doesn't tell us much about the Lerk.
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2024700:date=Nov 15 2012, 12:00 PM:name=Metal Handkerchief)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Metal Handkerchief @ Nov 15 2012, 12:00 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2024700"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm sorry man, you're barking up the wrong tree, I have never complained about lerks in pub stomp layout matches. What I have done is expressly put forth the opinion on how little use it has in higher end play where you won't be facing off against the beginners. I have also made a point of how the lerk scales poorly towards endgame, which is a far more nuanced situation than the former, where yes, it can get too powerful quickly if the changes are too aggressive, but I am also 100% on it needing those changes whether some ingrained bearded played-this-game-for-centuries grudgekeeper is going to agree with me or not. Those people have as much right of an opinion as me regardless of how far down their roots stretch in the NS timeline, but they're not exactly proving any counterpoints to it by basing their claims on newbie stomping, which would at best be a design fallacy in the making to balance around as low skill is only temporary.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'm sorry man, but what tree is it you think I'm barking up? Maybe you should go back and reread my post and pay more attention to what I actually said.

What you have done, is put forth and opinion about something you <b>think</b> is right without any indication of a willingness to consider that, perhaps, you're wrong when someone with not only countless more hours playing the Lifeform in question responds to you.

What it sounds like you wanted was a tutorial on how to play a Lerk competitively. But that's not what SabaHell was attempting to do in this stream, so why are you insulting her for not meeting your irrational expectations?

What points were being supported by this "pub stomp"? What arguments were made that this stream attempted to justify or validate? The only one I was aware of was "Lerks are viable in pubs." Which, as you even said, is quite clear.

Did anyone say Pub Stomping was being used to balance a game?

Where are you getting these criticisms from? Because it seems to me that you're pulling them out of thin air.

As well, just to be certain you understand my first question, I never said you made any claim at all. You were however largely involved in a thread where those criticisms I referred to previously were made. If you can't pay attention to your own threads, maybe you should be wary of involving yourself in others? Just a thought.

<!--quoteo(post=2024700:date=Nov 15 2012, 12:00 PM:name=Metal Handkerchief)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Metal Handkerchief @ Nov 15 2012, 12:00 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2024700"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><b>I see this whole 'look at how an experienced lerk crushes noobs' debate to be outrageous and insulting, when the real balance is made where players are equally skilled.</b><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

There was no debate here until you brought one to this thread. I find it insulting that you would begin throwing baseless insults at a respected member of the Community for no better reason than wanting to mouth off about a problem that didn't even exist.

I have no problem with you having your own opinion, but if you are incapable of expressing that opinion in a polite or courteous way, then don't expect to be treated to either.
    <!--quoteo(post=2024700:date=Nov 15 2012, 12:00 PM:name=Metal Handkerchief)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Metal Handkerchief @ Nov 15 2012, 12:00 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2024700"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->And I also facepalm at your inferiority complex every time you base a wall of text off the assumption that I, or whomever else you're targeting, am bad. It makes you look like a snotty child arguing whose parents' are da tuffest.

Edit: Also there's a good reason why many companies cycle their beta testing pool by gradually removing the earliest participants and bringing new ones in. Fresh eyes are the best eyes.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

If I am calling you bad, it is because you are expressing your own ignorance about the subject at hand. In this case, in particularly insulting manner. If I seem hostile, its because you're attempting to justify your ignorance, and legitimize your insult, by maintaining an air of superiority. Calling my responses childish and yet demonstrating a distinct lack of maturity yourself is suspicious at best, and wildly hypocritical at worst.

Also, what are you even attempting to say in your final claim? Am I to take it that these "fresh eyes" (by implication your own) are some how better informed than Saba's? If so, I'd recommend you take another look at the word Pretentious. I don't like putting words in someone's mouth, but this final statement of yours implies a great deal about what you think is best, and if you cant see that it does, then you need to stop and put a great deal more consideration into your thoughts before you express them here.
  • nSidianSidia Join Date: 2012-08-15 Member: 155651Members
    i think im going to start uploading gameplay to youtube also. what is your channel red dragon?
    <!--quoteo(post=2024739:date=Nov 15 2012, 09:27 AM:name=RedDragon)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RedDragon @ Nov 15 2012, 09:27 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2024739"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If I am calling you bad, it is because you are expressing your own ignorance about the subject at hand. In this case, in particularly insulting manner. If I seem hostile, its because you're attempting to justify your ignorance, and legitimize your insult, by maintaining an air of superiority. Calling my responses childish and yet demonstrating a distinct lack of maturity yourself is suspicious at best, and wildly hypocritical at worst.

Also, what are you even attempting to say in your final claim? Am I to take it that these "fresh eyes" (by implication your own) are some how better informed than Saba's? If so, I'd recommend you take another look at the word Pretentious. I don't like putting words in someone's mouth, but this final statement of yours implies a great deal about what you think is best, and if you cant see that it does, then you need to stop and put a great deal more consideration into your thoughts before you express them here.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You have repeatedly tried to shoot down people's concerns over lerk balance in an evenly skilled fight by pointing out how a skilled lerk can stomp a noob marine. <i>That</i> is ignorance.

The hard-necked refusal to admit you're arguing semantics wholly beside the point, and then progress to call everyone bad, <i>that</i> is pretentiousness.

We're done.
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2024750:date=Nov 15 2012, 12:39 PM:name=Metal Handkerchief)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Metal Handkerchief @ Nov 15 2012, 12:39 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2024750"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You have repeatedly tried to shoot down people's concerns over lerk balance in an evenly skilled fight by pointing out how a skilled lerk can stomp a noob marine. <i>That</i> is ignorance.

The hard-necked refusal to admit you're arguing semantics wholly beside the point, and then progress to call everyone bad, <i>that</i> is pretentiousness.

We're done.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Quote to me the place where I have said Lerks are balanced due to pub stomping. Otherwise, don't put words in my mouth.

"Semantics: The study of meaning."

"General Semantics: a doctrine and educational discipline intended to improve habits of response of human beings to their environment and one another especially by training in the more critical use of words and other symbols."

Yes, I am arguing semantics, because you seem oblivious to the meaning of the words you choose. Did I call you bad? Or did I call you ignorant? Please demonstrate some reading comprehension before continuing.

I very much hope we are done, because educating you is becoming tedious.
    <!--quoteo(post=2024748:date=Nov 15 2012, 12:37 PM:name=nSidia)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (nSidia @ Nov 15 2012, 12:37 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2024748"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->i think im going to start uploading gameplay to youtube also. what is your channel red dragon?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It's <a href="http://www.youtube.com/user/ns2RedDragon?feature=mhee" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/user/ns2RedDragon?feature=mhee</a>

but I haven't uploaded anything yet. I'm about to go make a video though and see what it looks like.